• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
He didn't have a problem with loosing to Taker, or Brock. He had a problem with loosing to someone who wouldn't be on TV regularly, and he would, and he'd have to deal with his stock in the company decreasing due to these losses while those other guys get nothing from the win.

He also said that match with taker should have been last. Which it should have.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He also said that match with taker should have been last. Which it should have.

On paper, absolutely not. Cena/Rock is a far bigger match. Was it nothing special? Yes. But you don't know that until after the fact, and Rock going on last was absolutely the right call.

They forgot to mention her love for the vita.

The other girls at WWE High don’t quite know what to make of AJ Lee, and that’s perfectly okay with her. This geeky girl next door would much rather play through “Metal Gear Solid” for the 46th time than listen to whatever Nikki Bella has to say about shoes, and stays out of the drama whenever she can avoid it. With a style all her own, AJ skips through the halls to the beat of her own drum.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Feel like you guys remember the Punk/Taker feud to be way better than it actually was.It was incredibly forgettable, and Undertaker honestly gave Punk SO much in the lead-up to it that he didn't give anyone that the idea of Punk complaining about not winning it makes him sound incredibly ungrateful. Which lines up with what most other wrestlers say about Punk.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've never seen a burial so effective as the Vita this holiday season.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
On paper, absolutely not. Cena/Rock is a far bigger match. Was it nothing special? Yes. But you don't know that until after the fact, and Rock going on last was absolutely the right call.

The PPV sold entirely on that match, of course it should have been on last. The Rock matches at Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber also went on last, sold on Rock fighting there, and drew better than usual.

Kaladin

Nah, listen to his tone. He clearly did have a problem losing to Taker and not going on last. Brock he didn't mind as much besides as you rightly brought up being his third feud in a row with a part timer that he'd never get a win back on.

I think he had more of an issue with not going on last instead of going over Taker. He wanted the Mania main event, he didn't care if he went over in it. He mentioned where he put up the idea of a three way with him, Cena and Rock and he could be pinned in five minutes and be happy with it.

What I'm curious about, and hope someone asks about for this week's podcast, is the walk out storyline from 2011. I know he probably pitched some ideas of what to do and got shot down because it felt really rushed with him being brought back days after walking out. I'm curious what his plan for that whole thing was.

Marvel

could never
I disagreed with Punk wanting as much money as Taker at Mania, he's the fucking Phenom for christsakes regardless of his schedule he needed to be paid more imo. As big as Punk was he was not and never will be as big a star as him. Though the match was fantastic, 'Taker was the draw for me like he is each show.

I didn't think that match should have been last though, all the focus was on Cena/Rock and it was't like any of us truly believed the streak was being ended. If it was going to be broken then sure.

Sephzilla

Feel like you guys remember the Punk/Taker feud to be way better than it actually was.It was incredibly forgettable, and Undertaker honestly gave Punk SO much in the lead-up to it that he didn't give anyone that the idea of Punk complaining about not winning it makes him sound incredibly ungrateful. Which lines up with what most other wrestlers say about Punk.

The main thing I remember from the Punk/Taker feud was that Punk was desperately trying so hard to get heel heat but he kept getting cheered simply because he was CM Punk.

RP912

Banned
Is there a video of this on YouTube or anything?
Kurt_f80c65_384178.gif

Probably the best thing Kurt Angle done throughout his career next to humbling a young douchey Randy Orton.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The main thing I remember from the Punk/Taker feud was that Punk was desperately trying so hard to get heel heat but he kept getting cheered simply because he was CM Punk.

Had Bearer not died, it would have been nearly impossible for him to get heat with Taker. The ashes part was the most effective thing he did.

Aiii

So not worth it

He never said that. He said he'd lose and then Taker would be gone. He said that they never put anyone on the main roster over. He said that they weren't building new stars because of that.

And he is right, they bring back all these old "draws" to pop ratings and the main roster looks like small potatoes. Nobody is elevated, nobody wins in the end.

Sure, you make Undertaker look like a big deal, you make Rock look like a big deal, you make Brock look like a big deal. And now Brock has the title, and the past three months of TV have been absolutely dogshit, because Brock wasn't there and anyone not-named-Cena that was there means jackshit because they're a bunch of small fry losers. Which is how they are booked.

And then Vince McMahon has to come out in front of a dead crowd and run them down for not giving a shit about anything.

Hasney

Well, they did know. The match the year before was a bit of a stinker too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've never seen a burial so effective as the Vita this holiday season.

But you can take advantage of those high end graphics by playing indie games on it that came out 2 years ago on PC. But mobile! I mean sure the battery life is shit and it's big enough that it's incredibly cumbersome to lug around and everyone will look at you funny when you pull it out on one of the few moments you have where you can keep your eyes off the road and not be mobile.

Xater

So it looks like NJPWW will not have World Tag league live but everything after that? Am I seeing that right?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, barely cracks the top five Vita burials.

1. E3 2012.
2. E3 2013
3. Holiday 2013's shitty Walking Dead bundle.
4. E3 2014
5. Holiday 2014's no show.

I forget how many times the Vita's been put beneath the earth, but the 1000 Year Old Demon Simulator keeps raising it up like their fans' microdicks every time they get to punish someone in Criminal Girls.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Had Bearer not died, it would have been nearly impossible for him to get heat with Taker. The ashes part was the most effective thing he did.

He had a hard time getting heat with a year long heel title reign! The only things that got a reaction were sucker punching the Rock and the Maddox/Shield cheating at the end of the year.

Well. The Paul bearer death could have pushed it main but yeah that's tough. Punks issue was that everyone said it was the best match and should have been the main event. So he felt he should be compensated since it was the best match and he didn't get the main. Which makes sense to me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well. The Paul bearer death could have pushed it main but yeah that's tough. Punks issue was that everyone said it was the best match and should have been the main event. So he felt he should be compensated since it was the best match and he didn't get the main. Which makes sense to me.

Yeah, but when you have Val Venis vs D'Lo Brown being the best match on an Attitude-Era PPV, are they asking to be paid more because they had a great match? No, you get paid for your position. You bust your ass if you want opportunities.

Really, that was one of the scummiest heel acts anyone's ever done, ever. But everyone still loved him anyway, because he's CM Punk.

He never said that. He said he'd lose and then Taker would be gone. He said that they never put anyone on the main roster over. He said that they weren't building new stars because of that.

And he is right, they bring back all these old "draws" to pop ratings and the main roster looks like small potatoes. Nobody is elevated, nobody wins in the end.

Sure, you make Undertaker look like a big deal, you make Rock look like a big deal, you make Brock look like a big deal. And now Brock has the title, and the past three months of TV have been absolutely dogshit, because Brock wasn't there and anyone not-named-Cena that was there means jackshit because they're a bunch of small fry losers. Which is how they are booked.

And then Vince McMahon has to come out in front of a dead crowd and run them down for not giving a shit about anything.

What are they going to do when Cena ends up with brain damage...? Or when Bork ends up breaking his leg. WHO are they going to push? There's no-one obvious for them to push. Everyone new is currently pretty generic , IMO.

Thorakai

I seem to remember things differently...or at least I wasn't watching that feud as a barometer for Punk's overness.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
¡HarlequinPanic!;141122491 said:
guess punk/taker played better on tv? Live I felt it was a snooze *shrug*

It was a snooze on tv too. Punk also got to do all sorts of things to Taker leading up to the match. Remember when Undertaker feuded with Angle, Henry, and Edge and basically made them look like chumps all the way up to the match?

So it looks like NJPWW will not have World Tag league live but everything after that? Am I seeing that right?

The World Tag League final will be available on VOD the next day, but won't be live - also, while WK9 seems to be included, I'm assuming the majority of the shows available will be Korakuen Hall shows (like the final 2 days of FantasticaMania 2015) or smaller house shows. I'm guessing WK9 is included as an incentive, but the other bigger PPVs will still be via nicovideo if you want to watch them live, then on NJPW World after the fact.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit, Tyson has the names of his cats on his tights now

Yes, it's incredible. He needs to keep going with this cat thing. It's his last chance at getting over before he starts getting that look that he can't be main event talent ever.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
¡HarlequinPanic!;141122491 said:
guess punk/taker played better on tv? Live I felt it was a snooze *shrug*

The card was just not good match wise at all and it was best by default. Take the same match and put it in WM 30 and it's what, the third or fourth best match?

RP912

Banned
The Punk/Taker match was good at story telling but shitty with the in ring chemistry. Let's face it, Punk/Taker never clicked well in matches and heavily rely on the storyline to do the shitty matches justice.

Honestly, the match should have been more than just Punk losing. They should have done a Royal Rumble 94 and had all of the wrestlers from the past that lost to the streak try to beat down the Undertaker to help Punk win the match.

That would have been awesome.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What are they going to do when Cena ends up with brain damage...? Or when Bork ends up breaking his leg. WHO are they going to push? There's no-one obvious for them to push. Everyone new is currently pretty generic , IMO.

It'll be ok, Ambrose and Rollins proved they can main event a PPV and they have Roman Reigns who's gonna make it rain in this BITCH. Baleedat.

I still have faith in the Roman Empire, I believe he will get where he needs to be in time. Not everyone is a prodigy like Rusev (who will also get elevated to main event talent in due time)

Aiii

So not worth it

They have dozens of people under contract that you think off as "generic" that have gotten over as main event stars before they came to WWE, any one of them can carry that show when they're allowed to, but as Punk said WWE kills creativity. You get your promo's written for you by people that aren't half as skilled as you are in the business. They create a gimmick for you, even when you have your own and don't even dare to come up with your own ideas.

Until they get rid of their entire creative team and Vince McMahon stops being involved in booking these shows (at the last minute) you will never see a non-generic character. It's all they can write.

Xater

The World Tag League final will be available on VOD the next day, but won't be live - also, while WK9 seems to be included, I'm assuming the majority of the shows available will be Korakuen Hall shows (like the final 2 days of FantasticaMania 2015) or smaller house shows. I'm guessing WK9 is included as an incentive, but the other bigger PPVs will still be via nicovideo if you want to watch them live, then on NJPW World after the fact.

If I still get the shows even if they are not live I think that would be alright. We will see. I'll get it for at least a month after WK9 and then I'll decide.

bjork

But you can take advantage of those high end graphics by playing indie games on it that came out 2 years ago on PC. But mobile! I mean sure the battery life is shit and it's big enough that it's incredibly cumbersome to lug around and everyone will look at you funny when you pull it out on one of the few moments you have where you can keep your eyes off the road and not be mobile.

Hey hey there, fella. Playing Rogue Legacy on the shitter is great. Hot Shots Golf on the shitter is great.

The Punk/Taker match was good at story telling but shitty with the in ring chemistry. Let's face it, Punk/Taker never clicked well in matches and heavily rely on the storyline to do the shitty matches justice.

Honestly, the match should have been more than just Punk losing. They should have done a Royal Rumble 94 and had all of the wrestlers from the past that lost to the streak try to beat down the Undertaker to help Punk win the match.

That would have been awesome.

Especially since they would've needed voodoo to resurrect a bunch of them. Could've been Papa Shango's return too!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Undertaker vs Angle was Undertaker's last good wrasslin feud and Undertaker vs Booker was his last good storyline feud. Everything after it was completely forgettable or dumb(Triple H)

Vylash

They have dozens of people under contract that you think off as "generic" that have gotten over as main event stars before they came to WWE, any one of them can carry that show when they're allowed to, but as Punk said WWE kills creativity. You get your promo's written for you by people that aren't half as skilled as you are in the business. They create a gimmick for you, even when you have your own and don't even dare to come up with your own ideas.

WWE would be a completely different company if the politics and 3rd grade locker room mentality were gone

It'll be ok, Ambrose and Rollins proved they can main event a PPV and they have Roman Reigns who's gonna make it rain in this BITCH. Baleedat.

I still have faith in the Roman Empire, I believe he will get where he needs to be in time. Not everyone is a prodigy like Rusev (who will also get elevated to main event talent in due time)

Until they get rid of their entire creative team and Vince McMahon stops being involved in booking these shows (at the last minute) you will never see a non-generic character. It's all they can write.

Oh, yeah. Don't get me wrong, there's some great existing talent. It's just that it's too... Restrained. Rather than try to be creative and wild, they're supposed to tick the boxes. Name one gimmick that endured when it ticked all the boxes! Just one. With the possible exception of The Rock (who sadly wrote the boxes in that are required tick boxes today), none of them. Gimmicks... Dared to be stupid, crazed, and completely exaggerated. Now they all just seem like bland 'Tough guy' stereotypes.

And I too hope that Rusev gets his time to properly shine. Overall, he's currently one of the best wrestlers, and he hasn't even been properly pushed yet! Same with Bray Wyatt imo, although it's yet to be clear as to whether or not he's successfully digging his way out of his burial by Cena. Also, Ambrose is better than Reigns, and by miles. :c

Explain the lowki issue

He's a big ol' mark for himself and has burned pretty much every bridge via his terrible attitude, refusing to put people over and going into business for himself. That second picture was from a CZW show - the match ended prematurely and Low Ki freaked the fuck out because he hadn't been given time to get his shit in, to the point that security had to drag him from the building. He burned ROH not once, not twice, but three times by refusing to job on the night of a show, he did the same for EVOLVE (as well as recklessly and intentionally knocking some barely trained dude the fuck out) and got fired from All Japan for picking a fight with Hikaru Sato, a legitimate shoot fighter. Oh, and New Japan fired him after he took a sponsorship deal to dress up as Hitman's Agent 47 for the biggest show of the year without actually asking if that'd be cool with New Japan.

Top Bottom