• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
And he's getting far more screen time now than he did 6 months ago, let alone 12 months ago, let alone 24 months ago.

I'm not complaining about where Tyson is on the card, or how much air time he's getting. He's getting a bit of a push right now, and he's sure as shit earned it...

I just picked him as an example of someone in the locker room doing everything he can to get over. That's all. To dispel the notion that the locker room are a bunch of millennials wanting everything just handed to them.

And Tyson isn't the only one working hard, but he's working as hard as anyone else right now, which is why he came to mind.

Ithil

If getting a strong fan reaction means you should be in the main event, Jim Duggan would have been a 9 time WWF champion. It's more than that. And of course Cesaro can wrestle quality, lengthy matches, but how long would that be enough? Kurt Angle had a goofy charisma, Chris Benoit looked like he'd murder you(well), and Eddie Guerrero was super charismatic. They brought more than just 'I am a good wrestler.' that only gets you so far. At his current state, Cesaro could be at a Dean Malenko position at best. Except WWF doesn't do Dean Malenko/Arn Anderson type positions, so I don't think there's anywhere for Cesar to go, and I don't blame WWE at all for that.

I would love to tell you where Cesaro would go, but I have no idea, because every promo he does get is scripted by hack writers. Perhaps he would flourish with little to no scripting, perhaps he would bomb. But we sure as shit aren't going to find out.

BFIB

Listening to the podcast w/ Vince and SCSA, and man, the more I hear Vince's rhetoric, the more pissed I'm getting at the direction of the company.

He states that millennials are afraid to take a chance. Well, how can they take a chance when they aren't given the ball to run with at all? Or when they are given the chance, as soon as they valley down some, instead of giving them an opportunity to add the tweak to their character, the carpet is pulled out, and they never recover.

Or they start to get built until Cena overcomes.

Cagey

Banned
I'm not complaining about where Tyson is on the card, or how much air time he's getting. He's getting a bit of a push right now, and he's sure as shit earned it...

I just picked him as an example of someone in the locker room doing everything he can to get over. That's all. To dispel the notion that the locker room are a bunch of millennials wanting everything just handed to them.

And Tyson isn't the only one working hard, but he's working as hard as anyone else right now, which is why he came to mind.

I agree, the same thought came to me last night during that tag match he had. It made me remember he's been on NXT a lot, and from there that he's on Total Divas, and I realized Total Divas is what's saving Tyson Kidd's career.

Tyson Kidd. The Totalest Diva. Next week on Nitro, Ric Flair takes on The Total Diva Tyson Kidd.

If getting a strong fan reaction means you should be in the main event, Jim Duggan would have been a 9 time WWF champion. It's more than that. And of course Cesaro can wrestle quality, lengthy matches, but how long would that be enough? Kurt Angle had a goofy charisma, Chris Benoit looked like he'd murder you(well), and Eddie Guerrero was super charismatic. They brought more than just 'I am a good wrestler.' that only gets you so far. At his current state, Cesaro could be at a Dean Malenko position at best. Except WWF doesn't do Dean Malenko/Arn Anderson type positions, so I don't think there's anywhere for Cesar to go, and I don't blame WWE at all for that.

Cesaro has personality. I strongly disagree with the narrative that says 'all he can do is put on technically great matches'. Again, the spot from just a couple of weeks ago where he faked joining team Cena.

Did that get no reaction? Did he not show any personality?

*sigh*

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I would love to tell you where Cesaro would go, but I have no idea, because every promo he does get is scripted by hack writers. Perhaps he would flourish with little to no scripting, perhaps he would bomb. But we sure as shit aren't going to find out.

I mean, he wasn't exactly cutting top tier promos in BDK.
Anyone else mad Vince called taker by his shoot name..

Kayfabe motherfucker

Taker's done. That's his name now.

Just like Phil is Phil no matter how mad it gets him.

And this brass ring talk... why do I think that Vince equates 'grabbing the brass ring' as getting mainstream popularity, rather than working your goddamn ass off and taking every opportunity you can take, because there's a bunch of guys doing just that.

Like how they promoted the mainstream attention Bryan's gotten recently?

Or Punk's complaint about how they don't highlight the Make-a-Wish stuff any wrestler other than Cena does?

Cesaro has personality. I strongly disagree with the narrative that says 'all he can do is put on technically great matches'. Again, the spot from just a couple of weeks ago where he faked joining team Cena.

Did that get no reaction? Did he not show any personality?

*sigh*
The problem is that his personality does not connect with the audience like his wrestling does. That's all Vince was saying.

Ithil

charliebrown-football.jpg

Gee man, why didn't you grab the ball? You must just be bad at football.

RP912

Banned
Bret Hart vs Fatu

I enjoyed this match a lot. I also like the Bret Hart 'ima put my title on the line against everyone' gimmick. The commentary is a torrid nightmare. I wish Perfect was commentating instead.

Bret challenged El Dandy...so yeah dude would give the brooklyn brawler a shot at the belt.

He was truly a champion's champion's champion.

Vylash

the point isn't "anyone who gets a pop should be a main eventer" the point is "someone who gets reactions shouldn't be completely destroyed" maybe they shouldn't be put into meaningless feuds with no direction, maybe they shouldn't lose 90 percent of their matches

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes people just simply don't deserve to be main event based on hard work. Sometimes you're just not gifted.

bjork

Mankind would have never won the title today.

Hell he wouldn't have made it onto NXT.

Mankind wouldn't have been Mankind. They would've given him some dickass name like Jonas Benson or some shit and he would've just been a dude in trunks.

strobogo

Banned
Vince's description is more of kids that were born in the 90s I think, at least that's my impression. I agree with him that there's a big issue in telling kids that "they're awesome" and "it's okay to be second to last, at least you tried" all the time. It's a rhetoric that is now part of every level of parenting, from schooling to the parents themselves and it's wrong, because it completely eliminates ambition.

No, being second to last isn't good, it means you utterly suck at it, so either find something you're actually good at and work on improving that or work on this to become better at it, either way is better than "oh well, at least you tried, champ" that is part of how people are educated now.

I'd absolutely hate myself if I didn't consider myself the best at my job, but I've had plenty of co-workers who were perfectly content with being middle of the road "I'll do just enough to earn my paycheck as long as I get to go home at 5" people, and they annoy me too.

Do you intentionally compare yourself to Punk to make you feel closer to AJ?

At the bottom of the card, with no direction or angles.

I'd say that's better than not being on TV at all for like 2 years. He's been on Raw (and winning) more times in the last 2 months than he had been on anything besides NXT for 2-3 years. That's a big step up. He does have an angle on NXT, which is bleeding into the main shows. Plus Total Divas. I'd say it is a pretty good time for Tyson right now after years of being left off of EVERYTHING.

zychi

Banned
Is the scsa vince interview on itunes yet? Is my podcast feed just not updating? I couldnt download the punk interview either

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Tyson Kidd has that THE Brian Kendrick thing going on right now. Hopefully he doesn't quit in the middle of it so he can smoke pot.

bjork

New Supercard event has Sting and Hollywood Hogan, but the more I look at the tiers, the more I know I'm getting nowhere near those cards. sigh etc.

Ithil

Do you intentionally compare yourself to Punk to make you feel closer to AJ?

I'd say that's better than not being on TV at all for like 2 years. He's been on Raw (and winning) more times in the last 2 months than he had been on anything besides NXT for 2-3 years. That's a big step up. He does have an angle on NXT, which is bleeding into the main shows. Plus Total Divas. I'd say it is a pretty good time for Tyson right now after years of being left off of EVERYTHING.

Of course. And Tyson deserves this little "mini-push". He was given a chance on NXT, and he flourished. But Cesaro flourished when given a spotlight on NXT too, but you've still got Vince claiming he "doesn't have it".

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I love the LAW I just finished up their Sunday show about the Punk podcast, and my god, those guys are so out of touch - expecting MASSIVE Punk chants in Tulsa (they knew it was Tulsa as well) and being completely wrong about what Vince would talk about and what their show would be like. To be fair, we also expected SCSA to give him softball questions, but we're not the damn Fight Network and have people who should have an inkling. They were so off base.

And poor Jason Agnew. Saying Punk has a ton of credibility by leaving money on the table to be on Colt's show instead. It's a merch sale and grab and he's giving the money to Colt for advertisers. Sorry Jason you didn't see the big picture. Love you though.

Sephzilla

I think how Punk's title reign was handled is a huge reason why this roster isn't that "ambitious". Punk post-pipebomb promo was probably the hottest and freshest thing to hit WWE arguably since Austin. Punk won the title from Cena, gave us a storyline that (by WWE standards) was pretty fresh and different. Before we know it Punk, as champion, is losing a main event spot to Cena vs fucking Laurenitus, Punk drops the belt to a part timer in The Rock, and The Rock goes on to drop the belt to Vince's golden child in a rub Cena didn't need. Not to mention at some point in there Punk also needlessly jobs to HHH.

How does that not kill a locker rooms ambition?

Top Bottom