• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
FwWSS5u.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The more I watch Itami in NXT, the more I think they really should have tried to get Shibata instead(if they even could). He just looks more like a star, and I think it'll be immediately noticeable how small Itami is when he comes up to the main roster. On the other hand, Devitt definitely comes off as a star. I'm glad he's not wrestling in the body paint shit.

The Ascension is dragging them down big time though. The Ascension just remind me of Kronik, and that should say it all. They look like a team someone came up with after watching The Crow and Blade 1. Surely there's a better team for Itami and Balor(?) to be involved with. And I continue to think NXT commentary is hogshit. I've got your back on that one Stro.

strobogo

Banned
Tyson wasn't on a single PPV from Survivor Series 2012 to WM30. I'm sure he's pretty happy to now be regularly featured on Raw, NXT, and Total Divas.

Fox318

I think how Punk's title reign was handled is a huge reason why this roster isn't that "ambitious". Punk post-pipebomb promo was probably the hottest and freshest thing to hit WWE arguably since Austin. Punk won the title from Cena, gave us a storyline that (by WWE standards) was pretty fresh and different. Before we know it Punk, as champion, is losing a main event spot to Cena vs fucking Laurenitus, Punk drops the belt to a part timer in The Rock, and The Rock goes on to drop the belt to Vince's golden child in a rub Cena didn't need. Not to mention at some point in there Punk also needlessly jobs to HHH.

How does that not kill a locker rooms ambition?

Everything about that card shows how stupid they are.

2zMR4TG.png

KANE won a match.
The midcard belts meant so little that you could pick which one you wanted more
Christian got a win over a younger star.
2 Miz matches featuring the Miz in some capacity.
Ryback was after Punk
Cena closed the show
Punk vs Daniel Bryan didn't close the show.

Sephzilla

Tyson Kidd is legit awesome on NXT when he's allowed to actually be Tyson Kidd. When he's on Raw he's still Natties husband who also appears on Total Divas.

Ithil

Tyson wasn't on a single PPV from Survivor Series 2012 to WM30. I'm sure he's pretty happy to now be regularly featured on Raw, NXT, and Total Divas.

Which, again, happened because he was given a chance to have the spotlight, and worked hard to make the most of it. But apparently everyone but Cena "lacks ambition and drive".

Cagey

Banned
I think how Punk's title reign was handled is a huge reason why this roster isn't that "ambitious". Punk post-pipebomb promo was probably the hottest and freshest thing to hit WWE arguably since Austin. Punk won the title from Cena, gave us a storyline that (by WWE standards) was pretty fresh and different. Before we know it Punk, as champion, is losing a main event spot to Cena vs fucking Laurenitus, Punk drops the belt to a part timer in The Rock, and The Rock goes on to drop the belt to Vince's golden child in a rub Cena didn't need. Not to mention at some point in there Punk also needlessly jobs to HHH.

How does that not kill a locker rooms ambition?

"Drops the belt to a part timer in the Rock" could also be written as "headlines two PPVs in championship matches with one of the three biggest stars in the history of wrestling". If having to lose to The Rock kills a wrestler's ambition, that wrestler fucking sucks.

The more I watch Itami in NXT, the more I think they really should have tried to get Shibata instead(if they even could). He just looks more like a star, and I think it'll be immediately noticeable how small Itami is when he comes up to the main roster. On the other hand, Devitt definitely comes off as a star. I'm glad he's not wrestling in the body paint shit.

My first impressions of Itami in NXT was that size is a problem. He looks out of place, particularly against the fat asses in Ascension. He looks small now, and NXT has smaller guys than RAW. It makes suspension of disbelief that he's this masterful striker too much for someone casually viewing a match of his once to overcome.

Hell, if I was working with someone like Damien Sandow and saw the reactions and exposure he got, why would I give a shit if I was in the main event or not?

Why did they get rid of King Of The Ring anyway? Even if they had to abandon it for generic PPV names like PAYBACK or whatever, they could still make it a Raw/Smackdown thing that's done once a year.

Sephzilla

"Drops the belt to a part timer in the Rock" could also be written as "headlines two PPVs in championship matches with one of the three biggest stars in the history of wrestling". If having to lose to The Rock kills a wrestler's ambition, that wrestler fucking sucks.

Except everyone in the locker room saw the writing on the wall the moment Royal Rumble ended though. Punk loses the belt to Rock and Cena won the Royal Rumble. Everyone in the locker room, in the crowd, on the internet, etc, knew that we were headed for Cena/Rock 2 and nobody believed that Rock was going to leave WM29 with the belt since he was a part time wrestler.

Everyone basically knew that Punk was effectively handing the belt back to Cena and the whole "Rock ended a year+ long title reign" was just extra gravy for a Cena rub.

Why did they get rid of King Of The Ring anyway? Even if they had to abandon it for generic PPV names like PAYBACK or whatever, they could still make it a Raw/Smackdown thing that's done once a year.

If I remember right I think Vince didn't like having a PPV where he couldn't advertise a full card of matches. Plus he finds wrestling matches boring without storylines, which is what KOTR is.

Fox318

My first impressions of Itami in NXT was that size is a problem. He looks out of place, particularly against the fat asses in Ascension. He looks small now, and NXT has smaller guys than RAW. It makes suspension of disbelief that he's this masterful striker too much for someone casually viewing a match of his once to overcome.

If they knew Taker was going to win would Rock-Undertaker have been a bad match to book?

The whole point of the Mania 28 and 29 was to make Cena look stronger and to get him over more.

Cagey

Banned
Except everyone in the locker room saw the writing on the wall the moment Royal Rumble ended though. Punk loses the belt to Rock and Cena won the Royal Rumble. Everyone in the locker room, in the crowd, on the internet, etc, knew that we were headed for Cena/Rock 2 and nobody believed that Rock was going to leave WM29 with the belt since he was a part time wrestler.

Everyone basically knew that Punk was effectively handing the belt back to Cena.

That last sentence is for us nerd-ass fans talking about wrestling on the internet to care about.

The rest? You're being given an opportunity to headline two PPVs with The Rock. Not Hulk Hogan at 60 years old, Rocky in the midst of being a top 3 biggest earning actor in the world for the second year running. A wrestling legend and current megastar. Anyone on the WWE roster should kill to have the opportunity that Punk had.

Sephzilla

That last sentence is for us nerd-ass fans talking about wrestling on the internet to care about.

The rest? You're being given an opportunity to headline two PPVs with The Rock. Not Hulk Hogan at 60 years old, Rocky in the midst of being a top 3 biggest earning actor in the world for the second year running. A wrestling legend and current megastar. Anyone on the WWE roster should kill to have the opportunity that Punk had.

Right, sure it does.

How does Punk, a full time wrestler who's held the belt for over a year, losing to a guy who's only wrestled 2 matches in the last 7 years not damage the credibility of the champion plus the rest of the roster? I'm a huge fucking mark for The Rock, and I still think having a 400+ day long champion pass the belt off to a guy who's only wrestled twice in after a 7 year long break (with a nearly year long break since his last match) is a horrible wrestling idea.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Undertaker vs Flair was a great match. Jericho vs HHH was such a shitty feud, and I recall it encompassing ALL of the program. Dark times, daddy.

Paracelsus

When was the last time WWE pushed a believable super heavyweight monster heel? By that I mean someone able to press slam/lift high above the ground a ~300lbs man like nothing

Sheamus and Cesaro don't count, they were never marketed as such.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe some of you are butthurt at Rock winning the belt off Punk. Rock drives buys, brings in a ton of money. Come on, jesus fuck, I know you all have little microboners over CM Punk but for christ's sake, the Rock is money.

Sephzilla

I can't believe some of you are butthurt at Rock winning the belt off Punk. Rock drives buys, brings in a ton of money. Come on, jesus fuck, I know you all have little microboners over CM Punk but for christ's sake, the Rock is money.

Vince McMahon
(Today, 01:00 PM)

Talking money over good wrestling.

Should I also bring up how Rock was more blown up than fucking Batista during each of his return matches?

bjork

Stone Cold also had the king of the ring.

King of the Ring builds up more stars better than any winning streak.

Mabel? Billy Gunn?

The Rock could drive up buys by just having a grudge match or something. He didn't need to be in a title picture. And my monolithic erection has nothing to do with it.

strobogo

Banned
Which, again, happened because he was given a chance to have the spotlight, and worked hard to make the most of it. But apparently everyone but Cena "lacks ambition and drive".

If you're going to bitch about Cena being the only one with ambition and drive, then why even bother watching? Tyson got pushed. FACT. Tyson did well. FACT. Tyson got pushed more. FACT. Not everyone is a top guy. It's stupid to think that every person HAS to be a top level guy. You can't have that. You need mid carders. You NEED career mid carders. That's a very important position. So I don't even know what you are bitching about. He's in the spot he was hired to be in. Tyson Kidd is never headlining Wrestlemania. What he can be good at is a solid US/IC level contender and someone who can make guys look good when they need someone to look good. That's a good role. That's an important role.

They need MORE of those people, not trying to make everyone either a top guy or a total goober. And sometimes, that good mid card guy does a really good job and catches and becomes something special. Like Bret Hart. Like Steve Austin. Like Daniel Bryan.

BFIB

I understand the reason behind it, but it still doesn't sit well with me. Your either behind the guy that's held the title for 400 plus days and deserves to headline WM, or your not.

Well, clearly they're not. Which again, putting Rock over Punk doesn't give Punk any credibility. Yes, he held the title for 400 plus days, but a victory over The Rock (even if you have him lose it at EC), would have built his status even higher.

Paracelsus

I can't believe some of you are butthurt at Rock winning the belt off Punk.

Punk gave you the answer: all he wanted was be in the main event, even for five minutes. He didn't get that, he didn't get the belt back, he got some dumb win against a midcarder who only comes back to job.

kiguel182

Well, Raw was awful.

It was 3 hours full of nothing. Just dull, dull, dull.

I normally have things that I enjoy and that interest me but not this week. Boring stuff. It makes me want to just watch NXT from now on.

Going to listen to the Austin podcast now then.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Punk gave you the answer: all he wanted was be in the main event, even for five minutes. He didn't get that, he didn't get the belt back, he got some dumb win against a midcarder who only comes back to job.

Shame he wasn't good enough to turn his hard work into a main event.

Sephzilla

If you're going to have Punk drop the belt give it to someone who could use the rub of dethroning a champ who's held the belt that long. Rock didn't need that rub, because as everyone already pointed out he's The fucking Rock.

Rock with the belt on a WWE PPV isn't going to make a difference in buys as Rock w/out the belt in a WWE PPV would.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Did Bootaaaay get too famous for us with his NJPWorld guide? I even posted Reggie Bennett to summon him and everything.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Did Bootaaaay get too famous for us with his NJPWorld guide? I even posted Reggie Bennett to summon him and everything.

He hates discussions about that mouthbreather CM Punk. This thread is too marky for him right now.

And I quote, "lol, you guys just won't let it go, will you?"

If you're going to bitch about Cena being the only one with ambition and drive, then why even bother watching? Tyson got pushed. FACT. Tyson did well. FACT. Tyson got pushed more. FACT. Not everyone is a top guy. It's stupid to think that every person HAS to be a top level guy. You can't have that. You need mid carders. You NEED career mid carders. That's a very important position. So I don't even know what you are bitching about. He's in the spot he was hired to be in. Tyson Kidd is never headlining Wrestlemania. What he can be good at is a solid US/IC level contender and someone who can make guys look good when they need someone to look good. That's a good role. That's an important role.

They need MORE of those people, not trying to make everyone either a top guy or a total goober. And sometimes, that good mid card guy does a really good job and catches and becomes something special. Like Bret Hart. Like Steve Austin. Like Daniel Bryan.

iCdGIve9Do0jb.gif

For once, I agree with strobogo

If you're going to have Punk drop the belt give it to someone who could use the rub of dethroning a champ who's held the belt that long. Rock didn't need that rub, because as everyone already pointed out he's The fucking Rock.

Rock with the belt on a WWE PPV isn't going to make a difference in buys as Rock w/out the belt in a WWE PPV would.

Who could they have given it to then? Cena? You would just complain more, right? Why not say that it took someone like The fucking Rock to end that streak? Sounds better than Cena or some other random ass wrestler.

Sephzilla

Fact

Fox318

Mabel? Billy Gunn?

And look at the rest of those winners.

Billy Gunn had more to do with the roster that year. And even if it doesn't work out it can fucking help boost someone.

uQJ9KiB.png

Then again that 2008 KOTR shows how fucking stupid they are

UIXodiA.png

People can't be happy with their favourite wrestlers being stuck in the mid-card because the mid-card is treated like trash and the belts are fucking worthless.

You did? I must've missed it amidst all this podcast debacle (with added 'Cesaro is a failure' arguments).

Today I watched Reggie Bennett commit the act of murder
reggiebennett0xunb.gif

Yeah, that's a goddamn powerbomb. Reggie was always at her best when throwing fools around the ring.

Paracelsus

Who could they have given it to then? Cena? You would just complain more, right? Why not say that it took someone like The fucking Rock[/] to end that streak? Sounds better than Cena or some other random ass wrestler.

The problem wasn't Rock taking the belt, again the problem was taking the belt to put over Cena AND Cena not dropping the belt back to Punk to carry on that long feud that never got properly solved. Punk got buried twice in two days despite giving both Rock and Cena their best matches in 3 years (actually Rock since WMXIX, Cena since MITB2011).

Vylash

djgtu52.gif

Sephzilla

Who could they have given it to then? Cena? You would just complain more, right? Why not say that it took someone like The fucking Rock to end that streak? Sounds better than Cena or some other random ass wrestler.

D-Bry could have taken it off of him. Bryan was already pretty over as fuck even as a heel at that point. If Ryback's initial push wasn't fucked up, Royal Rumble would have been a decent place to actually have him go after Punk. At least Cena was a full time wrestler.

Shit, I would have been more okay with Brock taking the belt off of Punk than Rock. At least Brock during his time away from WWE was still fighting people.

Bah gawd, Honma's vowed to destroy the Bullet Club for what they did to Yoshitatsu. He said; "I will never forgive Bullet Club. I don't like you!" and says he wants revenge against Jarrett.

Man, you just know Honma's going to go for a kokeshi and get a guitar to the face.

Zach

I almost forgot, Vince completely buried the title too. Saying that feuds are never about the belt, they're about the story around the wrestlers. The belt is there, and sometimes it's a factor, but it isn't a huge thing.

I found this to be telling. And you could tell it pissed Austin off.

Omega

Banned

short term. Punk would have helped in keeping long term viewership. As would Bryan or any other "indie darling" as you guys call them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bah gawd, Honma's vowed to destroy the Bullet Club for what they did to Yoshitatsu. He said; "I will never forgive Bullet Club. I don't like you!" and says he wants revenge against Jarrett.

Man, you just know Honma's going to go for a kokeshi and get a guitar to the face.

Scumbag Honma always trying to profit off others tragedies

Top Bottom