• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

jred2k

We can hope. We unfortunately will need to get moving on the nominations soon though. Dec 11th won't be too tough to make it to, and we need the RoH show to happen as well. I have 0 hope for TLC delivering anything noteworthy.

I won't set my hopes too high, but I think TLC could have some really good matches. Harper/Ziggler in a ladder match should be good and Wyatt/Ambrose has a lot of potential if it doesn't become too contrived(which I'm almost certain it will).

strobogo

Banned
Amen. What irks me is that Punk addressed all of those counterarguments already.

"If you have a part-timer come once a year to bury your active roster you're telling your fans these are the big shots and we don't mean shit".

I don't understand why anybody would honestly believe "oh, it took ROCK to beat Punk", anybody above PG would just think "oh, that slob took down a full-time wrestler, how lame".

No. Most people thought OH SHIT THE ROCK WON THE TITLE! ROCKY ROCKY ROCKY. It doesn't degrade Punk at all. Neither does losing to Brock or Taker at WM. I would see his point if he lost to a returning Jericho or RVD. But not to 2 people who transcend wrestling and another who is pretty much the most respected guy ever and getting picked to work with him at all means more than any title or main event.

I'm positive Punk would find a reason to be upset about getting a WM main event because that's the kind of person he is. Everything HAS to be a fight and a struggle to him. That's been bred into him. So if he got his WM main event, he'd be bitching about how it didn't get enough time, or the build sucked, or he didn't like who he was working with, or the finish sucked.

Now that I think about it, I wanted to talk about the parallels between WM20 and WM30. More specifically Bryan/Benoit. Two guys who were pretty similar in both height and move list. Both were in a triple threat main event that they shouldn't have been apart of. HHH and HBK, former friends. Batista and Orton, former friends (and HHH was involved in the same night) I also think HHH put Bryan into a cross face that night if I remember?

I wrote this the night of Mania;

Ten years ago at wrestlemania XX, Chris Benoit won the World title in the main event. The first time the title was defended at Mania in a triple threat match. The other two contestants being Triple H and Shawn Michaels. Benoit won by making HHH tap out to the crossface (a move which HHH used tonight against Bryan). Bryan, winning with a submission of his own, in a triple threat, ten years later. And although it was only for the world title, thanks to his dear friend Eddie, BOTH belts were in the ring at the end of the match, much like tonight.

Though he is a very difficult figure to talk about in pro-wrestling, this is my favorite moment is wrestling history. I was a huge Benoit mark and tonight reminded me so much of that night. Everything from the child to the confetti. I honestly can’t help but think this may have been some sort of nod to Benoit.

tumblr_n3n4moBFqy1qlhor5o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n3n4moBFqy1qlhor5o2_500.png

... or am I just crazy?

RP912

Banned
The question of the day should be whose winning the most slammies this year...triple h, daniel bryan, or john cena?

Ithil

To be fair, Punk wanted Cena's spot, not the number two spot. He lost to Rock (who Cena beat), Undertaker and Brock (who Cena beat). You can go on about "the rub" of losing to all the part timers if you want but for a guy who wanted the top spot it's not going to do anything for him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I haven't watched as much wrestling this year as I did last year. My MOTY might actually be that previously linked Sekimoto/Marufuji match. Marufuji can be a top tier wrestler when he feels like it. You can tell he picked up that attitude from Misawa.

Maybe one of the Koji & Fujita tag matches. They've been awesome to watch as a team.

RP912

Banned
Now that I think about it, I wanted to talk about the parallels between WM20 and WM30. More specifically Bryan/Benoit. Two guys who were pretty similar in both height and move list. Both were in a triple threat main event that they shouldn't have been apart of. HHH and HBK, former friends. Batista and Orton, former friends (and HHH was involved in the same night) I also think HHH put Bryan into a cross face that night if I remember?

I wrote this the night of Mania;

... or am I just crazy?

You could throw WM 10 in as well with this comparison. Bret Hart pretty much opened the door for *edit*, eddie, and bryan.

Xater

I haven't watched as much wrestling this year as I did last year. My MOTY might actually be that previously linked Sekimoto/Marufuji match. Marufuji can be a top tier wrestler when he feels like it. You can tell he picked up that attitude from Misawa.

Maybe one of the Koji & Fujita tag matches. They've been awesome to watch as a team.

If you have not seen it watch AJ/Suzuki.

Cagey

Banned
Amen. What irks me is that Punk addressed all of those counterarguments already.

"If you have a part-timer come once a year to bury your active roster you're telling your fans these are the big shots and we don't mean shit".

I don't understand why anybody would honestly believe "oh, it took ROCK to beat Punk", anybody above PG would just think "oh, that slob took down a full-time wrestler, how lame".

Do you sincerely believe that your smark-ass opinion is the consensus for people "above PG", which I assume means anyone over the age of 13?

Wrestling fans on the internet are as out of touch as Vince.

Sephzilla

Do you sincerely believe that your smark-ass opinion is the consensus for people "above PG", which I assume means anyone over the age of 13?

Wrestling fans on the internet are as out of touch as Vince.

Just letting you know, between this and your 2nd response to me on page 76 about the same topic, you're coming across as overly hostile here.

My MOTY right now is a three way tie between Shield/Wyatts, HHH/Bryan, and Zayn/Cesaro

Right now, I've still got the Four Way with Neville / Zayn / Kidd / Breeze. Probably the most logically booked four way I've ever seen, and it told a really good story too. I loved Tyson always making sure to keep an eye on the people outside the ring, and making sure they stayed out. I loved Neville showing just how important the championship was to him, and seeing the (legal in the match) lengths he was willing to go to to keep the belt.

Everyone was really good in that match. Breeze put in a fantastic performance and you barely notice because of how good the other three were.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Oh yeah I forgot Isshi/Naito was this year. And Tanahashi/Nakamura where Tanahashi was being a heel. That was a pretty good match too.

RP912

Banned
My moty= Shield vs the Wyatts

This was like a one good feud only type of deal with the WWE when they came up with this match. The setting was perfection, the feud was *kisses fingers* magnificent, and the segments were amazing.

That match alone took me back to wargames 94 with dusty's stable vs arn's stable. Sure the feud was lukewarm around that time compared to sting's squadron vs the dangerous alliance but goddammit it was real to me.

Sephzilla

My moty= Shield vs the Wyatts

This was like a one good feud only type of deal with the WWE when they came up with this match. The setting was perfection, the feud was *kisses fingers* magnificent, and the segments were amazing.

That match alone took me back to wargames 94 with dusty's stable vs arn's stable. Sure the feud was lukewarm around that time compared to sting's squadron vs the dangerous alliance but goddammit it was real to me.

And the crowd was red hot for this match too. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a "this is awesome" chant start before the match even begins, and the hype for that match felt like it warranted such a thing to happen.

RP912

Banned
And the crowd was red hot for this match too. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a "this is awesome" chant start before the match even begins, and the hype for that match felt like it warranted such a thing to happen.

Hell yeah...

The crowd made that match...plus that staredown o_o. It was like the immovable force meeting the indestructible object

Kaladin

Right now, I've still got the Four Way with Neville / Zayn / Kidd / Breeze. Probably the most logically booked four way I've ever seen, and it told a really good story too. I loved Tyson always making sure to keep an eye on the people outside the ring, and making sure they stayed out. I loved Neville showing just how important the championship was to him, and seeing the (legal in the match) lengths he was willing to go to to keep the belt.

Everyone was really good in that match. Breeze put in a fantastic performance and you barely notice because of how good the other three were.

I have to agree with you, though I think Neville / Zayn will top this.

Hasney

And look at the rest of those winners.

Billy Gunn had more to do with the roster that year. And even if it doesn't work out it can fucking help boost someone.

uQJ9KiB.png

Then again that 2008 KOTR shows how fucking stupid they are

UIXodiA.png

There was no issue with the 2008 one since Regal was about to get a major push and be a fantastic GM on top of that. He just got wellnessd.

Sephzilla

Hell yeah...

The crowd made that match...plus that staredown o_o. It was like the immovable force meeting the indestructible object

Yeah. That match was hype for a few reasons.

1- Both factions were booked pretty well leading up to it, they were both reasonably protected and thus looked unstoppable.

2- Both groups have plenty of talent.

3- It was a fucking heel vs heel feud. We never get those anymore.

Shit like this is why I wish we'd get a Rusev vs Brock feud.

Biggest let down of the year....Tyler Breeze not winning the gold so we can have "a era of breeze".

Assuming Zayn beats Neville for the belt, I think Breeze is going to be the guy who takes the belt off of Zayn once Zayn gets the call up to Raw.

Oh yeah I forgot Isshi/Naito was this year. And Tanahashi/Nakamura where Tanahashi was being a heel. That was a pretty good match too.

Tanahashi vs Ishii was really good as well, but a lot of people forget about it because of Ishii losing, I think. Tanahashi had a great strategy in that match, working over Ishii's neck to make use of his less frequent finishers (the dragon suplex and Twelve Six) and keeping him off balance so he couldn't fucking spike Tanahashi with the Ishii Driver again like he did in 2013.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The topic of the thread is bothering me....people know that Z-Paks are pills, right?

slide1.jpg
Tell me how I'd know that. Of COURSE you'd complain about the title. Titles mean everything to you.

Hopefully Bullet Club wins the new 'this shit is old' award.

Bullet Club is too reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal for you, evidently :p

They also sell too many t-shirts to be imploding any time soon. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some member changes though, but I can't see the stable being removed all together.

strobogo

Banned
My MOTY right now is a three way tie between Shield/Wyatts, HHH/Bryan, and Zayn/Cesaro

For me, so far, with about 8 more matches left on Bootaay's WWE list (plus whatever happens at the next COTC and TLC):

1. HHH/Bryan
  2. Bray/Bryan
  3. Sami/Cesaro
  4. Team Cena vs Team Authority
  5. Shield/Evolution 2

HHH/Bryan is pretty comfortably number one to me. Sami/Cesaro and Bray/Bryan are pretty much interchangeable. I think I'm still comfortable listing Bryan has WWE performer of the year even having been gone since May. Cesaro would have been it if he hadn't had his fall from grace.

Outside of WWE, my favorite match was AJ/Okada from night 1 of G1. But all the main event guys matches were awesome. AJ/Tanahashi. AJ/Suzuki. Tanahashi/Shibata. Okada/Nak. Last year I for sure had Nakamura as best performer outside of WWE, but I think I'd have to go with Okada this year. But I love that coked up swaggy mother fucker.

Sephzilla

I vote myself as most improved WrestleGAF talent of the year

For me, so far, with about 8 more matches left on Bootaay's WWE list (plus whatever happens at the next COTC and TLC):

1. HHH/Bryan
  2. Bray/Bryan
  3. Sami/Cesaro
  4. Team Cena vs Team Authority
  5. Shield/Evolution 2

I like this list. I'm kind of surprised Shield/Wyatts isn't on here but I can't complain about any of the choices you have in there.

Team Cena vs Team Authority is probably in my Top 5 as well simply for the rise of Ziggler.

Top Bottom