• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

UberTag

Did Bryan stand up for himself? Did he complain to Vince? No. Probably not. The fans had to practically carry him there.

I'm curious to see what other revolt there will be on the road to Wrestlemania.
I'm not even sure D.Brine got there. Sure, he cleaned up at WrestleMania XXX and pinned Triple H... but Hunter had no problem laying down for Bryan because A) his hand was forced by the booking of the program and B) Bryan's attitude meant he wouldn't flaunt it.

But Bryan being able to outwrestle Triple H wasn't what that feud was about. It was about whether D.Brine could cut it as an A+ player worthy of building the brand around. And did that shit ever happen? Hell no. Bryan's title reign was undermined at every opportunity, he was paraded out for promos with his wife, he was laid out backstage and dragged to the ring by Kane and then he ultimately had to forfeit his championship and effectively retire from wrestling - thus proving Hunter was absolutely right to doubt him. In short, Triple H was vindicated and won that program. McMahon's comments in the interview with Austin only reinforce that point.

jmdajr

Honestly, how many of these wrestlers are ever showing a marked improvement in what they do in the ring or on the mic? You have to strive to be better and I'm not seeing it when it matters.

Trying to think of past 5 years. Brya Wyatt got way better. Infinitely. Daniel Bryan got way better as a character. Cody Rhodes always get better. Rusev keeps improving.

Some just peaked with no change. Orton, Cena, Big Show. They just exist.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But don't piss anyone off

People are so hung up on that duality. It never really gets put into context what each of those answers are to what questions. It's not like Vince said "If you know what's good for your career, don't piss anyone off. Piss people off."

Huge difference, but I'm not surprised people are desperately trying to paint Vince in a bad light over those two answers to different questions.

News flash for folks, millenials take heed as well:

You CAN be successful and do good work with people in ANY avenue of life while being pissed off at them. Professionalism.

RP912

Banned
Honestly, how many of these wrestlers are ever showing a marked improvement in what they do in the ring or on the mic? You have to strive to be better and I'm not seeing it when it matters.

Can you seriously blame them? No matter how hard these guys try, it's always goes over heads. Ryder got over by himself and what the WWE does...buries the fuck out of him. Sandow constantly battles through every bad gimmick and low card segment the WWE throws at him. Cesaro was red friggin hot until it was Vince's bright idea of putting him and Paul together.

Don't get me started with Ziggler, the Wyatts, and even FANDANGO. Fandango was another victim of the WWE's lack of focus. They could have capitalize on his Wrestlemania 29 win against Jericho and the fact "fandangoing" crossed mainstream media. What WWE does....they over-saturate the shit to make fandango look like a flash in the pan.

Heel

Lemme tell you who is improving when it does and when it doesn't matter:

7hpFBQb.jpg

Roman Reigns is another guy who is at least attempting to evolve in the spotlight instead of staying on the curve to endeavorment like the rest of these jabrones, e.g. Cesaro.

Someone post that pic of Warrior and the cameraman looking at the wall with his masks, while on the wall right beside him is the Rumble poster with a sticky note over Punk's face

Caption it "Professionalism."

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Someone post that pic of Warrior and the cameraman looking at the wall with his masks, while on the wall right beside him is the Rumble poster with a sticky note over Punk's face

Caption it "Professionalism."

It may be your age affecting this conversation, but that really isn't unprofessional to do. If they drew a turd on his face, perhaps.

jmdajr

Can you seriously blame them? No matter how hard these guys try, it's always goes over heads. Ryder got over by himself and what the WWE does...buries the fuck out of him. Sandow constantly battles through every bad gimmick and low card segment the WWE throws at him. Cesaro was red friggin hot until it was Vince's bright idea of putting him and Paul together.

Don't get me started with Ziggler, the Wyatts, and even FANDANGO. Fandango was another victim of the WWE's lack of focus. They could have capitalize on his Wrestlemania 29 win against Jericho and the fact "fandangoing" crossed mainstream media. What WWE does....they over-saturate the shit to make fandango look like a flash in the pan.

Ryder sucks. Not good in ring or mic.
Sandow and Fandango are way too stupid of a gimmick to get to the next level.
Cesaro? Well can't help you there because Vince thinks he has zero charisma.
Wyatt is still too early to give up. He got Cena'd but he'll bounce back.
Ziggler is hanging on. Just stop complaining on twitter.

bjork

FANDANGO. Fandango was another victim of the WWE's lack of focus. They could have capitalize on his Wrestlemania 29 win against Jericho and the fact "fandangoing" crossed mainstream media. What WWE does....they over-saturate the shit to make fandango look like a flash in the pan.

This is like saying Mantaur was destined for great things.

Make a change, guys - come watch some New Japan and complain about who THEY aren't pushing. It's got all the drama of WWE backstage politics; Naito is a little bitch, everyone hates Tanahashi, Okada is the Golden Child, Bullet Club are untouchable because of merch sales, Shibata's having to learn to eat humble pie, goddamn indie gaijins will go over your favourites and Jarrett'll keep hitting people with guitars because Jado & Gedo are huge marks for American wrestling.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Real talk, friends.

Where the hell did you expect Ryder to go? He would never, EVER be main event material, no matter how over he was.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Make a change, guys - come watch some New Japan and complain about who THEY aren't pushing. It's got all the drama of WWE backstage politics; Naito is a little bitch, everyone hates Tanahashi, Okada is the Golden Child, Bullet Club are untouchable because of merch sales, Shibata's having to learn to eat humble pie, goddamn indie gaijins will go over your favourites and Jarrett'll keep hitting people with guitars because Jado & Gedo are huge marks for American wrestling.

Shibata should be, as you people say, "fit to burst" - even myself, tired of Shibata but not his work, think enough is enough and it's time 4 a change.

Where the hell did you expect Ryder to go? He would never, EVER be main event material, no matter how over he was.

I expected him to slot in the mid-card somewhere, maybe get a tag title run with Kofi or someone. I didn't expect him to become a prop for Cena the moment creative sensed a crowd reaction that John could latch onto.

RP912

Banned
Ryder sucks. Not good in ring or mic.
Sandow and Fandango are way too stupid of a gimmick to get to the next level.
Cesaro? Well can't help you there because Vince thinks he has zero charisma.
Wyatt is still too early to give up. He got Cena'd but he'll bounce back.
Ziggler is hanging on. Just stop complaining on twitter.

His match with ziggler at TLC 2011 says otherwise. He can go in the ring, but his main thing is personality. Sounds like a certain guy that "came to play". Ziggler just needs to shut the hell up and enjoy the ride.

This is like saying Mantaur was destined for great things.

How dare you put Mantaur's name in the directions of Fandango..

bjork

Real talk, friends.

I'll be honest. The first time I saw what Ryder looked like was after his whole YT explosion or whatever, and it wasn't even him, it was his action figure in a Target or somewhere. "Who is this dick with the one-legged pants? Oh, so that's that guy. Huh."

There are very few guys who should've been world champ/main event guys who weren't. But it's fun to complain about it.

I'd go so far as saying that if they were on the same roster at the same time, Mantaur would be placed higher than Fandango.

jmdajr

His match with ziggler at TLC 2011 says otherwise. He can go in the ring, but his main thing is personality. Sounds like a certain guy that "came to play". Ziggler just needs to shut the hell up and enjoy the ride.

heh. Maybe so. Hard to see work when all you have is squash matches.

Recall

I expected him to slot in the mid-card somewhere, maybe get a tag title run with Kofi or someone. I didn't expect him to become a prop for Cena the moment creative sensed a crowd reaction that John could latch onto.

But this always falls on deaf ears. When WWE was the drizzling shits 11 years ago and I would watch NOAH and ROH to get my wrestling fix it was shit as the conversations on the net were always about the WWE and no-one wanted to chat about the alternatives.

jmdajr

Let's face it. Cena has to leave if you want someone else at that level.

It took Hogan leaving to make new stars. It took Rock and Stone Cold leaving to make new stars.

And Cena... well he won't leave because he's the terminator. Everyone needs to milk their supporting role as far as it can go. Get over with the fans, sell merch, get pops, put on triple A matches. You might even sneak one on Cena. But you will NEVER be the guy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lol at Cena saying its time for people to step up.

How about you step up and turn finally? So much about the company would be better.

Not their bottom line, that's for sure. That man feeds us.

Aiii

So not worth it
Real talk, friends.

Nobody claims he should be, but he certainly was over enough to be a midcard mainstay and could have made the company money by selling merchandise as he was once doing.

His burial was dumb as fuck.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody claims he should be, but he certainly was over enough to be a midcard mainstay and could have made the company money by selling merchandise as he was once doing.

Some people are afraid of failing.

Recall

Punk even said he doesn't understand why they can only be 3 top guys, why can't everyone be used to their potential. Ryder was popular and surely selling Merch leads to more money but WWE doesn't want anyone but the top guys doing that.

Stifling your own roster is why they are shit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And that's why I can't wait for the day he's retired, because if Roman isn't at Cena's level by then over a decade of relentlessly focusing on one man is really going to come back and bite them in the ass.

It's hard to turn your back on money to be made while someone can go, I understand that. Triple H made that MONSTROUS investment in the Performance Center and NXT and it's not going to pay dividends yet, but look at what NXT has set up.

Prince Devitt, Sami Zayn, a group of "smaller" wrestlers to change the entire landscape so when they finally make it up to the main roster, they don't look as small as they are. It takes time, and I think their investment will eventually pay off. Restructuring the Divas division with a LOT of new talent, more tag teams (even though Sin Cara is by FAR the weakest link in every single facet of the Lucha Dragons...let Samuray Del Sol go singles, dammit) - that's them turning their back on money and keeping the status quo. They're taking calculated risks, and I feel they're a heck of a lot safer than the alternative - tranq Cena for a year and see what develops.

jmdajr

Punk even said he doesn't understand why they can only be 3 top guys, why can't everyone be used to their potential. Ryder was popular and surely selling Merch leads to more money but WWE doesn't want anyone but the top guys doing that.

Stifling your own roster is why they are shit.

A whole 3?

Aiii

So not worth it
And that's why I can't wait for the day he's retired, because if Roman isn't at Cena's level by then over a decade of relentlessly focusing on one man is really going to come back and bite them in the ass.

They're VERY lucky Cena never broke his neck or something that took him out of action for a year.

Imagine losing out on that Cena merchandising money right as your TV deal disappoints and your Network numbers came out only half of what they were supposed to be, half of the offices in Titan Tower would be empty.

Here's the results of the second to last RWTL show.

(1) Sho Tanaka vs. Yohei Komatsu
◆Winner: Yohei (6:54) with a Boston Crab.

(2) Matt Taven & Mike Bennett vs. Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga
◆Winner: Fale (6:39) following the DAWN RAID on Taven.

(3) Tetsuya Naito, La Sombra, Jushin Thunder Liger & BUSHI vs. Lance Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr., Taichi & El Desperado
◆Winner: Taichi (8:24) with the Taichi style Gedo Clutch on BUSHI.

(4) WTL A BLOCK: AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi vs. Rob Conway & Jax Dane
◆Winner: Styles (8:48) following the Styles Clash on Dane.
~ AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi [3 wins, 1 bye, 2 losses = 8 points]
~ Rob Conway & Jax Dane [1 win, 1 bye, 4 losses = 4 points]

(5) WTL B BLOCK: Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii
◆Winner: Nakamura (8:11) following the BomaYe on Nakanishi.
~ Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii [4 wins, 2 losses = 8 points]
~ Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi [3 wins, 3 losses = 6 points]

(6) Hiroshi Tanahashi & Captain New Japan vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima
◆Winner: Kojima (10:52) following a Lariat on Captain.

(7) WTL B BLOCK: Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka
◆Winner: DRAW (10:42) double ring out.
~ Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba [2 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses = 5 points]
~ Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka [3 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses = 7 points]

(8) WTL B BLOCK: Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
◆Winner: Shibata (9:05) following a PK on Honma.
~ Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata [3 wins, 3 losses = 6 points]
~ Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma [2 wins, 4 losses = 4 points]

(9) WTL A BLOCK: Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows
◆Winner: Anderson (11:17) following the Magic Killer on HASHI.
~ Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows [4 wins, 1 bye, 2 losses = 10 points]
~ Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI [3 wins, 3 losses = 6 points]
——————————————————————————————————————
CURRENT STANDINGS

A BLOCK
Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima [3 wins, 1 bye, 2 losses = 8 points]
Tetsuya Naito & La Sombra [3 wins, 1 bye, 2 losses = 8 points]
Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI [3 wins, 3 losses = 6 points]
AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi [3 wins, 1 bye, 2 losses = 8 points]
Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows [4 wins, 1 bye, 2 losses = 10 points]
Rob Conway & Jax Dane [1 win, 1 bye, 4 losses = 4 points]
Matt Taven & Mike Bennett [2 wins, 1 bye, 3 losses = 6 points]
Hiroshi Tanahashi & Yoshitatsu [0 wins] * DONE, INJURY

B BLOCK
Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma [2 wins, 4 losses = 4 points]
Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi [3 wins, 3 losses = 6 points]
Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata [3 wins, 3 losses = 6 points]
Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii [4 wins, 2 losses = 8 points]
Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba [2 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses = 5 points]
Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka [3 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses = 7 points]
Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. [4 wins, 2 losses = 8 points]
Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga [2 wins, 4 losses = 4 points]

Looking even more likely that Shibata and Goto are going to come from behind and take this, as they were my original picks. Would be even more interesting if they face Anderson/Gallows in the final, although I would have preferred they face Tenkoji so the win over them can solidify their breakup and give us Tenzan vs. Kojima, Career vs. Career, in the Dome.

jmdajr

They're VERY lucky Cena never broke his neck or something that took him out of action for a year.

Imagine losing out on that Cena merchandising money right as your TV deal disappoints and your Network numbers came out only half of what they were supposed to be, half of the offices in Titan Tower would be empty.

Vince would adapt somehow. Always does.

bjork

they would just let you send donations to Cena's get-well fund and you get a shirt if you pledge $20. It's like sending get-well cards to Matilda, but dumber.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I like Goto more as a tag team member than his singles work. His finisher is still one of my favorites in NJPW as well, just because it is. I like it, and I like his team with Shibeater.

Top Bottom