• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Base game and The Taken King are pretty much the same. The only difference is The Taken King actually have story missions with cutscenes "explaining" stuff, NPCs seems like unique characters, etc it's surprising how lacklust the story missions in the base game are comparing to The Taken King story missions. Either way it comes down to leveling up, grinding rep, gears and good gunplay and coop as well. I would think it's cheaper to get The Taken King since that comes with the base game, The Dark Below, House of Wolves and The Taken King.

Important detail that I forgot to mention: we both have the base game already.

Important detail that I forgot to mention: we both have the base game already.

No harm in playing it. Just remember, IMO, what you see is what you will get. The game truly shines in coop. Frankly I stopped playing the game since I got bored with the repeating the same content, I really dont have a desire to reach max light level or a loot driven personality. If you guys like coop shooters and loot driven games, then you will prob enjoy Destiny. Just dont expect much in the story :p

I do miss playing with DGAF since playing with people here are prob the 2nd best gaming experiences I had. And I believe I made long term gaming friends as well.

Kyoufu

No harm in playing it. Just remember, IMO, what you see is what you will get. The game truly shines in coop. Frankly I stopped playing the game since I got bored with the repeating the same content, I really dont have a desire to reach max light level or a loot driven personality. If you guys like coop shooters and loot driven games, then you will prob enjoy Destiny. Just dont expect much in the story :p

I do miss playing with DGAF since playing with people here are prob the 2nd best gaming experiences I had. And I believe I made long term gaming friends as well.

The worst thing about a loot driven game like Destiny is that in its current state, the endgame loot is lacklustre, for us veterans at least. New players jumping in have a ton of exotic guns and armour to collect so I think eravulgaris should enjoy it if he and his friend buy TTK.

WipedOut

Consider coming back and let us know when you get to level 20 or more.
A few gaffers can run through the Year 1 raid (Vault of Glass) with you to see if you like the endgame contents.

Needs to be at least level 24 for Vault. I'll help out with a run on normal. Still need that Chatterwhite shader.

The worst thing about a loot driven game like Destiny is that in its current state, the endgame loot is lacklustre, for us veterans at least. New players jumping in have a ton of exotic guns and armour to collect so I think eravulgaris should enjoy it if he and his friend buy TTK.

True atleast year 1 had RNGesus and a OP exotic weapon, R.I.P Gjallarhorn, and additional DLC to keep people chasing playing the game
2015-08-13.gif

Nothus

So did something happen recently to make the Doctrine better? Or was it just a case of waiting for it to show up as a ToO reward again?

So did something happen recently to make the Doctrine better? Or was it just a case of waiting for it to show up as a ToO reward again?

I think it's mainly the god roll that can drop. Every perk is the same except the last slot which can be from best to worst from, what I have read is Counterbalance, Hidden Hand, Rodeo and Rangefinder.

So the god roll is with CB.

My RNGESUS luck got me rangefinder. Gonna try to attempt 7 wins after work today on my other characters to see if I can get CB to drop.

deadduck

Melted by 3 doctrines isn't much different to melted by 3 of any weapon. If you've been hit by 3 people at the same time, they have positioned themselves better.

Doctrine could do with a bit range nerf. A good grasp is a bit more OP IMHO.

Kyoufu

^^^

I agree. A god roll grasp with CB and braced frame would beat a CB doctorine. The ROF on the grasp is the highest of all pulses I think.

A lot of guns can beat Doctrine. I think it's an overrated weapon tbh, at least in regular crucible. Probably a different story in Trials.

A lot of guns can beat Doctrine. I think it's an overrated weapon tbh, at least in regular crucible. Probably a different story in Trials.

All the top tier guns have their unbeatable range niche

Mida gets wrecked at close range,
Doctrine gets wrecked at long range
Tlw gets wrecked at mid to long
I've not used grasp so can't comment but I imagine close range might be its weakest

aarcane

As one of the lonely few who doesn't have one, can anyone suggest a good counter to Doctrine? It would be nice to have a chance of survival against the relentless hail of bullets in Iron Banner this week. I play on XB1 which mostly rules out DGAF Doctrine trains, most of my friends list were playing The Division beta instead this weekend and I'm not that great at PvP anyway.

As one of the lonely few who doesn't have one, can anyone suggest a good counter to Doctrine? It would be nice to have a chance of survival against the relentless hail of bullets in Iron Banner this week. I play on XB1 which mostly rules out DGAF Doctrine trains, most of my friends list were playing The Division beta instead this weekend and I'm not that great at PvP anyway.
Zhalo Supercell is good. Not quite the same type as doctrine but it shreds and is good for your super. Y1 atheons epilogue is good as well

Stay at range and use scouts, don't engage in close combat. As long as you have the range advantage, you should be okay.

If you play more aggressive, then use TLW.

Zhalo Supercell is good. Not quite the same type as doctrine but it shreds and is good for your super. Y1 atheons epilogue is good as well

Can't use Epilogue in IB - power levels bruh! Epilogue will melt a Doctrine user though in normal pvp.

Thanks for the run driz. As always I learnt a few new things whilst running with you. Good stuff! Apols for my scrubbiness in a couple of matches

For sure dude, we had some good games! I always try to explain my rationale for making certain plays, etc. Communication and teamwork will always trump pure gun skill, no question. No apologies necessary though! It's all part of learning how to work together when you haven't played with people much before.

The first game we lost was to the #6 ranked Trials player, smh. He has 2700 ELO and his two teammates were decent as well. I played like garbage and he played well so no shame in that, gg's to him. Later when we played the same team 3x straight, we dropped the middle game 4-5 despite outslaying them 38-26. I never want to have 18 kills in a game because that probably means we aren't collapsing on orb control very well, not denying revives, etc. I made a terrible play at the start of the last round when I got sniped because I challenged the same spot as the previous round. You revived me well but it still put us in a bad spot and we couldn't quite overcome their damn firebolts.

When that stuff happens I get myself fired up by being kinda intense, but it's never meant remotely negative about teammates. It's just how I get myself going and play better. No way I was gonna let those t-baggers get us in that third game, haha:

I'll run some more games tonight for Doctrines or to finish a few of those 7-0 cards. I only did ~70 games this weekend but I'm too damn impatient nowadays to run 110+ like before. Tonight's the last night for Indoctrination so it'll be hype.

Kyoufu

I need an Elimination win for this weekly bounty :(

Can I complete these bounties after the reset and still be able to do the fresh ones too?

The lack of a permanent Elimination mode is making me sad right now.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Can't use Epilogue in IB - power levels bruh! Epilogue will melt a Doctrine user though in normal pvp.

I've had better experiences with Doctrine over Epilogue. I get that Epilogue should be better, but for some reason I find Doctrine easier to use.

Tri4

Can I complete these bounties after the reset and still be able to do the fresh ones too?

Pretty sure trials counts as elimination.

Acidote

Can you go to trials with matchmaking? I have the 7/0 run from yesterday (boon used) and apparently need three more games for the bounty.

Quick edit: OK, I just read Kyoufu.

Playing with Todd on Saturday was bizarro world. When Icon and I play with our friend who just wants some Trials loot, but he's terrible, we get matched up against 1.8-2.0 k/d teams from the first match. When we played with Todd on Saturday, we didn't see higher than an .8 k/d until AFTER our seventh win. Todd is like k/d repellent.

Can you go to trials with matchmaking? I have the 7/0 run from yesterday (boon used) and apparently need three more games for the bounty.

Quick edit: OK, I just read Kyoufu.

I need 3 matches for a gold bounty as well, can join you guys in 1 hour if you can wait.

I've had better experiences with Doctrine over Epilogue. I get that Epilogue should be better, but for some reason I find Doctrine easier to use.

Yeah well they are both very similar, but I feel the larger mag and glass half full help with multi-kills so I favor Epilogue. Also the range damage drop off seems to be lower for AE once persistence kicks in.

2real4tv

Melted by 3 doctrines isn't much different to melted by 3 of any weapon. If you've been hit by 3 people at the same time, they have positioned themselves better.

Doctrine could do with a bit range nerf. A good grasp is a bit more OP IMHO.

Yeah Mida comes to mind sometimes I feel like I die from two head shots.

I agree with that. I think Destiny's pvp right now in terms of balance with their primary weapons has been as balanced as it has ever been. Obviously snipers with such high AA are still ridiculous but once Bungie figures out a way to nerf that and really not touch anything else, then they might have the most balanced pvp since the game launched....

But this is Bungie and they will fuck something up in the next pvp patch. :p

Acidote

I need 3 matches for a gold bounty as well, can join you guys in 1 hour if you can wait.

Yeah well they are both very similar, but I feel the larger mag and glass half full help with multi-kills so I favor Epilogue. Also the range damage drop off seems to be lower for AE once persistence kicks in.

Don't worry, I won't be home for the next hour and a half +-

Namikaze1

Last day of Doctrine Train

I could start now but need a good second.

Now where the heck is that list

Xerobiade - XeRoBlaDe

reeducator - PSN ID

thelongdarkriverofhell - darkistheway

Shinigami no Mori - ShinigamiFrost

LTWood12 - LTWood12(2nd run)

Sky Walker - skywalker_3li

BlindMonkey

Psn spaaaaaaaaace___

killerbee40

sturgboski

PSN Felyx

aarcane

Stay at range and use scouts, don't engage in close combat. As long as you have the range advantage, you should be okay.

If you play more aggressive, then use TLW.

Thanks! I'm usually more aggressive and prefer to get within bladedancing range, so I'll go with TLW. I've got a Zhalo and a few different scouts and pulses to mix things up as well.

ocean

Banned
Trials anyone? I have a 7-0 card (Mercy intact) which I could try to get to Mercury on, or I could start a fresh card for a shot at a Doctrine.

If somebody wants neither flawless nor 7 wins but rather just a few games for bounties, I can hop on my alt PSN account and bring my 260 Light scrublock and try to get some Legendary stuff to drop from endgame rewards screen. The Marks from the bounties would also help me out greatly on this character (5 win armor drop would be BEAST but not realistic on that character).

Spoo

2 or so pages back :) I posted it before I went to bed

Hey, I'm reeducator on psn -- I already got a Doctrine (even though it's not CB :( ), so someone else should probably take my spot today, even though I do want to go lol

I'd love to help other gaffers, but I only have a 1.03 kd, so while I'm not terrible, I am probably not what people are looking for in a helper.

phen0m24

Dear Drizzay and Wiped:

Thanks guys for the runs last night and all the lols. I am completely burnt at work today as a result, however. Next time let's do those on a Friday M'kay? My eyes are burning like a brush fire, yo.

Hot propane and hot pipin' knights,

Hank

If you have a clock

WipedOut

Dear Drizzay and Wiped:

Thanks guys for the runs last night and all the lols. I am completely burnt at work today as a result, however. Next time let's do those on a Friday M'kay? My eyes are burning like a brush fire, yo.

Hot propane and hot pipin' knights,

Hank

If you have a clock

That was a blast, I'm down to do that again and friday would be much better on this old ass. I feel your pain, 4 1/2 hours of sleep is just not enough.

Getch' your hot pipin' knights. Oh and shoot the shooters.

Top Bottom