• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

LifEndz

I think Clash is growing on me. Certainly easier to impact the game as a solo player.

Top of the page? Well then...it's time for a sexy party!

op5q3qg639.gif

SpecX

Are you fucking kidding me? The last match I needed before I leave and PSN goes out on me? We were 2 kills away from a win and I had top score, would have cashed in 5 medallions, and probably could have hit rank 5. I'm done, not playing anymore today...

Aren't we supposed to get a package at 3, 4, and 5 rank in IB? Or is it just 3 and 5? Just hit 4, but when I went to see Salad the sniper wasn't available; went to orbit and came back and it was unlocked, but no rewards.

Itching to get back on for some IB action but gotta go to a bday dinner for my brother-in-law. Anyways just wanted to send a late shoutout to all the guys whom I shared an IB train with earlier today. So many faces but thanks again everyone. You know who you are.

#SoM4Lyfe

Aren't we supposed to get a package at 3, 4, and 5 rank in IB? Or is it just 3 and 5? Just hit 4, but when I went to see Salad the sniper wasn't available; went to orbit and came back and it was unlocked, but no rewards.
Package at 3 and 5

Rank 3 - 310 artifact
Rank 5 - 310 Ghost + 310-320 random IB item

dyergram

I had a little destiny hiatus and it seems like now the only way to raise my light is play iron banner or the raids. I cant really be bothered to commit to the raids at the moment I just want to play vs multi but the game doesn't want to reward that any more...

I had a little destiny hiatus and it seems like now the only way to raise my light is play iron banner or the raids. I cant really be bothered to commit to the raids at the moment I just want to play vs multi but the game doesn't want to reward that any more...

What light level are you currently?

Frenden

Banned

IB offers a guaranteed 310 Artifact for Rank 3 and a 300+ random piece of armor or a weapon at Rank 5. It's very easy to progress in.

Deku Tree

Bungie before first TTK IB: "We want after match drops to be your primary source of loot. Lord Salad still sells loot just in case you didn't get what you wanted."

First IB loot is terribad.

Bungie says: "there was a horrible crucible loot drop bug that made the IB loot drops so horrible and we are going to fix it"

Second IB clash it was raining loot.

Bungie says "hey great the bug is fixed!" Yay!

Third IB loot is terribad just like the first.

Bungie says nothing.

Fourth IB loot is terribad just like the first an the third.

Bungie continues to say nothing....

Next IB people think "hey it's Clash maybe the loot drops will be like the first IB clash".... lolnope

Guess what? will Bungie continue to say nothing?

Bungie before first TTK IB: "We want after match drops to be your primary source of loot. Lord Salad still sells loot just in case you didn't get what you wanted."

First IB loot is terribad.

Bungie says: "there was a horrible crucible loot drop bug that made the IB loot drops so horrible and we are going to fix it"

Second IB clash it was raining loot.

Bungie says "hey great the bug is fixed!" Yay!

Third IB loot is terribad just like the first.

Bungie says nothing.

Fourth IB loot is terribad just like the first an the third.

Bungie continues to say nothing....

Next IB people think "hey it's Clash maybe the loot drops will be like the first IB clash".... lolnope

Guess what? will Bungie continue to say nothing?

That sneaky bug just crept back in the code by itself man.

Kyoufu

I wish I'd known at the time that the HoW drop rate and endgame was peak Destiny. I would've appreciated it more.

I appreciated the hell out out of it. A lot of people were hoping for Destiny to be "fixed" with TTK but for me, the game was already fixed in terms of being a quality loot-driven shooter when HoW was out.

Getting level cap wasn't frustrating. Lots of loot to chase from 3 areas of endgame PVE content and PVP was pretty wild too with the exception of the awful Thorn meta. It was the best of times for me.

I do love some of the additions and improvements made in TTK but endgame has been drab in comparison for me.

Frenden

Banned
I appreciated the hell out out of it. A lot of people were hoping for Destiny to be "fixed" with TTK but for me, the game was already fixed in terms of being a quality loot-driven shooter when HoW was out.

Getting level cap wasn't frustrating. Lots of loot to chase from 3 areas of endgame PVE content and PVP was pretty wild too with the exception of the awful Thorn meta. It was the best of times for me.

I do love some of the additions and improvements made in TTK but endgame has been drab in comparison for me.

I liked it at the time. I thought it was great. I just didn't realize that system would be gutted and we'd be facing stingier rewards than ever, after. I'm not saying I didn't like it--I'm saying I would've appreciated it more knowing of its eventual absence s'all.

Etheric light allowed ACTUAL horizontal progression. Loot dropped readily enough that you'd luck into the build you wanted with a small amount of persistence. Any armor could be viable which lent to more aesthetic variation on top of it all. Sigh.

I miss HoW.

ocean

Banned
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=183534650

I've gotten my money's worth. And I still love this game. But I'd pay for a downgrade. I'd pay as much as I've paid so far - the whole thing put together - to go back to HoW.

When I could take any Legendary and make it viable. When people played PvP because they liked it, and played to win, not trying to fill in a dumb quest or bounty. When you could easily find a group for VoG or CE or PoE or a Strike farm or a Crucible train because they all offered avenues for horizontal progress - any drop was potentially an instant 365. When I could re roll and take gear off my mind and just build a perfect loadout and use it to have fun. When I could make marks whichever day of the week I wanted, on whatever playlist I wanted. When changing my class item for cool looks didn't fuck my grenade cooldowns or actual level. And yes, when I could shoot my Hand Cannons without the frustration of them randomly missing.

Light = ass, Etheric was infinitely better.
Current matchmaking is universally recognized as worse.
Raid drops are aesthetically and functionally garbage, worse and uglier than vendor counterparts.
Gunsmith was a beautiful idea but ultimately offers no compelling HC, no compelling AR, no compelling Shotgun, or Sidearm, or Machine Gun.

I dunno. TTK's a 6/10 in my book. Year 1 >>>>>>>>>>>> Year 2.

Raid drops are aesthetically and functionally garbage, worse and uglier than vendor counterparts.
Gunsmith was a beautiful idea but ultimately offers no compelling HC, no compelling AR, no compelling Shotgun, or Sidearm, or Machine Gun.

Pre-end game, TTK is amazing. End game TTK is garbagio.

th3dude

Wow. Great stuff. Didn't see your OP from October. I'm feeling your #4 point really bad right now.

Completely agree on all counts.

Deku Tree

Can a storm-tranced Warlock really survive a 320 Truth to the face in IB? Or is that lag? They got knocked down to about 1/3 health and then I died to the shocks. I am 319.

Frenden

Banned

I agreed with your post then and I agree with it now. It summates my feelings on the whole thing pretty closely.

Aside from story content (which, face it, we all blew through 3x in the first day), TTK is altogether worse.

Can a storm-tranced Warlock really survive a 320 Truth to the face in IB? Or is that lag? They got knocked down to about 1/3 health and then I died to the shocks. I am 319.

I think any super with that level damage resistance (Bladedancer, hammerbro, sunsinger) can survive a rocket at full health. Pretty sure a ghallerhorn is the only rocket that will OHK a super user. Maybe a rocket with cluster bombs.

I think any super with that level damage resistance (Bladedancer, hammerbro, sunsinger) can survive a rocket at full health. Pretty sure a ghallerhorn is the only rocket that will OHK a super user. Maybe a rocket with cluster bombs.

Doesn't Truth have Horeshoes too? Meaning the rocket doesn't even hit them fully, it just blows up near them, meaning it's not full damage.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
All this misplaced Y1 nostalgia. It was AWFUL. It may have have gotten some particulars right, but overall it was a boring disaster.

All this misplaced Y1 nostalgia. It was AWFUL. It may have have gotten some particulars right, but overall it was a boring disaster.

Nah man. From an endgame and pvp perspective (which is what keeps us playing after a week and a half) HoW was undeniably better than the shitshow we have now.

Doesn't Truth have Horeshoes too? Meaning the rocket doesn't even hit them fully, it just blows up near them, meaning it's not full damage.

That could be part of it, but I've hit people dead on without getting kills, they just don't do very much damage. I think revive shields let you tank rockets too sometimes, but I'm not 100% on that.

That could be part of it, but I've hit people dead on without getting kills, they just don't do very much damage. I think revive shields let you tank rockets too sometimes, but I'm not 100% on that.

You can kill a guy that was just revived with a rocket no problem. And thats because the damage resist on that is not that high. A high impact sniper that normally does 420 damage does 320 instead i think. So a rocket that does 280+ dmg (what is the exact number for a full on rocket hit?) can still kill him. A super with damage resist on the other hand (which is normally 50%) can still survive a rocket since they need what would normally be 400+ dmg to die, and rockets dont deal that much.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Nah man. From an endgame and pvp perspective (which is what keeps us playing after a week and a half) HoW was undeniably better than the shitshow we have now.
As far as the concept of etheric light goes, I would agree. But as far as content goes (the most vital aspect) it was a disaster. POE was BEYOND boring.

Frenden

Banned
As far as the concept of etheric light goes, I would agree. But as far as content goes (the most vital aspect) it was a disaster. POE was BEYOND boring.

HoW left VoG, CE, and PoE relevant thanks to Etheric Light. Now we have one raid many people feel is not so hot. We had more fun strikes too, given how few of the most people's favorites are in the current rotation. We had REAL Nightfalls and Weeklies with actual rewards (and not ghosts or emotes or horn kits).

HoW was better in both PvE and PvP endgame. It's not even clooose.

When we say Y1 is better than Y2 for the most part we mean year 1 during HoW, not vanilla. Vanilla was boring and had lots of issues, but the HoW Era was far superior to the current state.

With HoW there were so many endgame activities that gave interesting loot. We had banner and Trials for PvP while VoG, CE, and Skolas rounded out PvE. All of the loot from these activities was really powerful and fun. Nightfalls were relevant and a chance to have fun with burns and get good loot as a result. The crucible dropped loot left and right. Etheric light made horizontal progression super fun and easy. PvP was more fun in general. All gear since vanilla was viable.

Compare that to year 2. PvP is far less enjoyable due to SBMM and a boring meta. New exotics are all really boring and tame. Endgame loot all is pretty mediocre, the raid weapons aren't great and neither are the trials weapons compared to year 1. The Infusion system discourages min maxing gear because of how much of a hassle it is to get gear to an appropriate light level. Loot drops at miserly rates in crucible and in strikes. The light level chase is mostly pointless since it only matters in one activity. Every endgame activity has shitty double rng. There are now only a few strikes in the heroic and nightfall rotation.

The area that year 2 surpasses year 1 is storytelling. The campaign aspect was much better and quests are a nice way to track things and reward players but other than that Y1 is definitely superior.

I too miss the HoW endgame, but more specially PvP. Hated Thorn but it was just that much more satisfying for me when I cut duty Thorn users down with TLW. As for PvE, I don't particular enjoy PoE or KF. Wish HoW would've brought a raid but not one that has us stand in a bubble and shoot or stand on this circle and shoot or stand in this puddle and shoot. Horizontal progression being a legit thing during HoW is a big reason I miss it.

Top Bottom