• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

the_id

I like that the caretakers of my playground is consistently trying to make it look nicer and fun to play in...though it's not always what I expect but atleast the playground will always be maintained.

GhaleonEB

This is a totally trivial thing, but Deej starting out his BWU's with "This week at Bungie..." has been a pet peeve of mine since he started doing it. It was just trite and annoying and repetitive. So it's a special kind of annoying that he just changed the title of something that has been a known commodity (some brief periods of time aside) for a decade and a half, to that very phrase. And the reason is because they felt some people could not distinguish a weekly blog post from a game update.

Who was confused by this?

Again, minor thing. It's tempting to broaden it out and talk about how they're going after fixing things that don't really need fixing. But I'm just kind of annoyed. BWU was simple, descriptive and, at this point, traditional. "This week at Bungie....". ARG

It's looking like it will be my next 320 exptic weapon. :/

Right? I just checked and mine is at 317 somehow lol

But still...like many have said already, the Icebreaker and NLB will rise, getting special is now a priority, and you'll probably have people camp more just to get special.

Also, they just upped the value of the MIDA AGAIN, because you'll want to engage at a distance. I'm sorry some folks don't know sniper lanes. Meh.

Frenden

Banned
I don't recall many folks bitching about special in 3s.

And the whole please don't say meta thing--get over yourselves. The entire gaming community across multiple titles has taken to using that word.

Namikaze1

YOU'VE BROKEN MY HEART

That's good to hear. I need more people to talk about YYH! it's so good.
I wanna get Kai out of the way before resuming YYH. I've been watching so many animes I never finished, am revisiting, or new ones I skipped lately. Finished watching all 24 episodes of Shokugeki no Souma the other day. Aside from the perverse stuff that happens early on, it was pretty good.

I don't recall many folks bitchung about special in 3s.

And the whole please don't say meta thing--get over yourselves. The entire gaming community across multiple titles has taken to using that word.

I LOVE how Bungie wants people to believe there's no meta. Just stop. No game will ever be balanced perfectly. Certain weapons, characters, and tactics will always rise to the top.

Just, BLERG lol

WipedOut

It's official,
PVE
Destiny is Dad!

Seriously, they don't know how to balance the special weapons so their answer is to nerf special ammo.

nowai

Spawning with 12 sniper rounds is hands down one of the most broken aspects of 3v3. Glad to see they are aiming to balance special ammo.

Frenden

Banned
I LOVE how Bungie wants people to believe there's no meta. Just stop. No game will ever be balanced perfectly. Certain weapons, characters, and tactics will always rise to the top.

Just, BLERG lol

I just don't even. Glad to have played Destiny about 50% less this week.

I just wish something else on console felt as good to shoot and had this huge base of GAF pals.

Spawning with 12 sniper rounds is hands down one of the most broken aspects of 3v3. Glad to see they are aiming to balance special ammo.

Shrug. Folks using snipers and shotties is a lot less annoying than heavy rounds to me. Look at Iron Banner Rift where teams could spawn kill you for minutes at a time with HMGs.

Many agree that high impact shotties can be bullshit and that some snipers have to high AA, but I've never been in a match of 3s and heard a teammate rage about sniper ammo.

GhaleonEB

Whoever mentioned a while back that updates are likely to be PvP focused until the next big expansion were right, so far. Both the update and the next event are PvP focused. Probably won't change in the near future.

On that note, spawning and facing down six sniper rifles is pretty frustrating as well, though I get that it's not as consequential to lose one or two players on a six man team as it is to lose one on a three man. As an infrequent PvP player, I've come to loathe the opening snipefests.

I wanna get Kai out of the way before resuming YYH. I've been watching so many animes I never finished, am revisiting, or new ones I skipped lately. Finished watching all 24 episodes of Shokugeki no Souma the other day. Aside from the perverse stuff that happens early on, it was pretty good.

I've only watched about 4 or 5 animes in my whole life. Monster, Death Note, GTO, Yu Yu Hakusho, I guess...YuGiOh.

This is a totally trivial thing, but Deej starting out his BWU's with "This week at Bungie..." has been a pet peeve of mine since he started doing it. It was just trite and annoying and repetitive. So it's a special kind of annoying that he just changed the title of something that has been a known commodity (some brief periods of time aside) for a decade and a half, to that very phrase. And the reason is because they felt some people could not distinguish a weekly blog post from a game update.

Who was confused by this?

Again, minor thing. It's tempting to broaden it out and talk about how they're going after fixing things that don't really need fixing. But I'm just kind of annoyed. BWU was simple, descriptive and, at this point, traditional. "This week at Bungie....". ARG

Man that must be extra annoying to you, that now every week you get to be greeted by 'This Week at Bungie". It doesn't even acronymize well! "TWaB". It's like, 'BWU' You could atleast pronounce like...Bwoo....and who knows who was confused to make a big stink. I thought they were fine doing BWU and 'Patch Notes' for actual changes.

Sidearm meta

What's a sidearm

It's bungie trying to be clever and fix what isn't broken. Now alls that going to happen is one team will get the special and the other will leave the game

Also trials match making is changing but ( I presume as they never said any different) is still on wins?

I would imagine that if you're going into Trials every week, you know a bit about what you're doing. I don't see a reason to impose the no special ammo start on to this mode. They have to notice that, with this mode in particular, most people know what they're doing.

That being said, the quality of the update wasn't an issue. I don't mind smaller updates like this where game tweaks are the focus They're fine. The issue is with the tweaks they're making.

I have to wonder what brought on this particular tweak. That's something that no one complains about. I don't think anyone ever gave it a thought before today, honestly.

EDIT: Apparently, sidearms are immune to the special ammo changes.

Kraftyy am cry.
Have you ever seen Kraftyy play with a Doctrine? He still beats most people easy.

All the change is going to do in Trials is slow down the beginning as people wait for special to spawn. And maybe rushing with autorifles will be slightly more realistic.

How long for a full clip of Invective? 30 seconds?

To repeat, I've never played a game of 3s and heard a teammate rage about sniper ammo.

It's...Bungie is applying a bandage to something that doesn't need to be bandaged. 'Getting sniped 10 seconds into a trials match? Better take away all of the special ammo.' It's like, just nerf the aim assist on the sniper rifle instead of hurting everything else.

Theorry

Have you ever seen Kraftyy play with a Doctrine? He still beats most people easy.

All the change is going to do in Trials is slow down the beginning as people wait for special to spawn. And maybe rushing with autorifles will be slightly more realistic.

How long for a full clip of Invective? 30 seconds?

Think its great for Trials. Now its always a sniper battle in the beginning and who wins most likely wins the round also

I would imagine that if you're going into Trials every week, you know a bit about what you're doing. I don't see a reason to impose the no special ammo start on to this mode. They have to notice that, with this mode in particular, most people know what they're doing.

That being said, the quality of the update wasn't an issue. I don't mind smaller updates like this where game tweaks are the focus They're fine. The issue is with the tweaks they're making.

I have to wonder what brought on this particular tweak. That's something that no one complains about. I don't think anyone ever gave it a thought before today, honestly.

The game just got even more stale in these modes. I would have been more impressed if they took heavy out of game modes like Rift and Trials.

If I had to guess, they looked at their data and wanted to skew more people to use their primary weapon in these modes. Meh. For me, people spawning with special was never an issue.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Huh, made it all the way to the end of the BWU and actually found some good news - Bungie're increasing the drop rate of the ship that drops from the Black Spindle daily mission, Lost to Light.

Namikaze1

Right? I just checked and mine is at 317 somehow lol

But still...like many have said already, the Icebreaker and NLB will rise, getting special is now a priority, and you'll probably have people camp more just to get special.

Also, they just upped the value of the MIDA AGAIN, because you'll want to engage at a distance. I'm sorry some folks don't know sniper lanes. Meh.
I have one at 310. Just checked how many 320 raid specials I have left for infusion and I have just one left. -__-

Gonna have to infuse one of my two 320 Conspiracy Theory into it. I can get my invective to 315 easily. Infusing the 320 raid fusion would get it to 319.

Though I do still have to do the Warpriest challenge two more times this week. But I need a group don't feel like going to reddit or LFG after last time.

I've only watched about 4 or 5 animes in my whole life. Monster, Death Note, GTO, Yu Yu Hakusho, I guess...YuGiOh..
Not even DBZ?!

Theorry

Fixing a problem that doesn't exist is dumb.

Plus that was the only noteworthy thing in the update, poor poor poor.

Well the problem was there imo. In Trials for sure.
I like Freelance also. Makes playing alone abit better. Matchmake for trials better and damage referee. Sounds good to me.

This week at Bungie...

giphy.gif

nowai

Many agree that high impact shotties can be bullshit and that some snipers have to high AA, but I've never been in a match of 3s and heard a teammate rage about sniper ammo.

ummm high impact shotties and some snipers being "bullshit" wouldn't have nearly the same level of salt if they weren't so readily available. That is the entire point of reducing the ammo.

In Halo, special ammo is treated as a prize possession similar to the way heavy works in Destiny as opposed to the current meta of using your secondary as a primary.

In trials, I use my sniper or shotgun as a primary and generally only fall back on a primary to finish off a weak opponent. I shouldn't be able to do this. It's silly how abundant special ammo is.

Have you tried the inferno playlists when they pop up? I personally think it's fantastic spawning with no special ammo. Granted Invective and Ice Breaker will see much more use and I wouldn't mind seeing them tweaked as well, but it's a step in the right direction.

Frenden

Banned
This is kind of a nerf on close range primaries too. Being able to reliably switch away from TLW to a sniper is kind of what makes that gun still viable despite its myriad nerfs.

Reiterating:

Many agree that high impact shotties can be bullshit and that some snipers have too high AA, but I've never been in a match of 3s and heard a teammate rage about sniper ammo.

After using shotties more, I am less salty about deaths by them--closing the gap ain't easy often.

As a dude that used to Snipe a heap, getting domed on a quick scope drag-snipe takes skill. I don't get too salty about that either.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, SBMM introduced a lot of players into a constant meat grinder of high skill snipers and god roll shotties. Maybe the user base wouldn't be bitching about how unfun things have been if they'd kept CBMM.

Fuggit. I'm officially putting Destiny on pause save for timed shit or bouts of EXTREME boredom.

Dont know what you guys were expecting, i was pleasantly surprised this update tackled so many things at once. Spawning with 12 sniper rifle ammo was retarded, red bars are going to lose more (remains to be seem), solo matchmaking so no clans from all over the world etc. Not anywhere near to fixing all of Destiny's issues right now but certainly better than the "itsfuckingnothing.gif" these updates usually are, dont understand the reactions here.

Think its great for Trials. Now its always a sniper battle in the beginning and who wins most likely wins the round also
I think it is a good change but I don't expect it to increase primary weapon usage. Snipers are still going to be the Trials meta.

They should be moving the special ammo spawns closer to the middle of the maps to force teams to engage. Look at Pantheon - special spawns behind cover right in the sniper lane. Why would you go further before getting special?

Tri4

Bullet hose ARs have horrible range. I'd rather use a mid rof ar with a range and a stability perk.
Good thing most maps are almost begging you to use low range stuffs TLW and shotguns. You won't be beating good pulse users or scouts at certain ranges with mid ROFs most of the time anyway.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty happy with this update. Finally special weapons have been cut down, which I've been wanting for a long time. Solo playlists is awesome for a mostly lone wolf like myself and the lag advantage is finally being addressed. It looks like if you're lagging, you'll be punished instead of having the teleport advantage.

Theorry

I think it is a good change but I don't expect it to increase primary weapon usage. Snipers are still going to be the Trials meta.

They should be moving the special ammo spawns closer to the middle of the maps to force teams to engage. Look at Pantheon - special spawns behind cover right in the sniper lane. Why would you go further before getting special?

Sure. But it stops those 10 second matches wich i always found annoying really.

If laggy players stop having the advantage I'm all for it. The special ammo change isn't the right fix. If you don't want to get nailed immediately then don't make sniping so easy. All that this changes is that you won't get 360 no scoped quite as quickly. I'll probably just wait around by special the first trials round and I'd think many players will do the same.

Deku Tree

If laggy players stop having the advantage I'm all for it. The special ammo change isn't the right fix. If you don't want to get nailed immediately then don't make sniping so easy. All that this changes is that you won't get 360 no scoped quite as quickly. I'll probably just wait around by special the first trials round and I'd think many players will do the same.

That's how you'll get rushed.

Top Bottom