• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Those all sound like good changes to me. However, continue to discuss how the crucible is now doomed before playing a match with the new ammo economy.

I don't really get the complaining, There's some stuff here - changes to special ammo, new crucible playlists, ogre fix. Particularly interested in how the special ammo changes play our in Trials. I'm somewhat concerned there will be a cascading effect where whoever wins the first round will get special and thus also have the edge next round, but we'll see.

How people can read these weekly updates and feel let down by them (and write about it) every single week is beyond me.

as someone who doesn't really PvP, the fact that most of the updates they are making are to PvP IS A LETDOWN.

/rant

todd360

Do you guys know what I have to do to make an OT? I want to make an off topic side OT for an anime that no one is talking about. Everyone is talking about erased, but not this anime that I really like. I would like to make a thread to give it some exposure and have a place to discuss it wat do? Would driz know about this stuff?

Mindlog

I thought it was a pretty decent update and I've been burnt out for a while. Weird.

More importantly: Bungie will never be able to create enough content for PvE. They really need to go back to HoW and study the Prison of Elders. Do everything possible to make it more interesting and have actual matchmaking. Right now only ONE 'end-game' PvE match-made area has any kind of variability and it's extremely limited.

Wait. I just remembered how little matchmaking actually happens in Destiny. That's really weird.

Anyhow, the point is that PvE content can be reused, but it has to be more interesting. The classes themselves don't play differently enough from one another. The enemies are OK, but also share many similarities. The level layouts rarely change. The clear cheap option is to increase the use of modifiers. This could also be used to increase the appearance of under-utilized weapons.

Twist of Fate: All guardians now gain the abilities from another class.
Call of the Void: All abilities now do Void damage regardless of sub-class.
Fire Within: All abilities now do Solar damage regardless of sub-class.
Will of Light: All abilities now do Arc damage regardless of sub-class.
Never the Same: After using a super your abilities change to another random element.
Synergy: When exposed to damage from an elemental source enemies become more vulnerable to further damage from the same element.
Stormtrooper: Every missed shot increases the damage of your next shot.
Deadeye: Increased damage with sidearms.

These modifiers need to appear in the Daily and beyond. How about completing the Nightfall gets you access to the ability to modify your class for a week? How about completing the Nightfall gives you Deadeye for a week? How about switching up the objectives more often?

This is part of a much bigger post. Point is: The Deadzone reminded me how often content in Destiny plays too similarly between instances.

Games would become long, drawn out camp fests, or rabid doctrine/invective rushdowns.

Nah the timer isn't meant to be punishing, it's meant to encourage a strategy other than running up to the head glitchiest of lanes and hard scoping the fuck out of it. It'll be 10-30 seconds depending on the map size, that window seems big but I can't imagine it'll take much more to hangs up play style and eliminate the concept of "good spawns" on maps like burning shrine.

Do you guys know what I have to do to make an OT? I want to make an off topic side OT for an anime that no one is talking about. Everyone is talking about erased, but not this anime that I really like. I would like to make a thread to give it some exposure and have a place to discuss it wat do? Would driz know about this stuff?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450653

That might be a good start. I see a couple of Off-Topic threads in there.

todd360

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450653

That might be a good start. I see a couple of Off-Topic threads in there.

So I just say what I want to make there and wait for approval?

This confuses me. Why show the * in the example and then say to remove it.

For an Off-Topic OT, add [*i][OT][/i] to the prefix of your code (remove the *)

Edit: I will try posting there tomorrow. Don' t feel like making it today. Thanks for the link.

How about that special ammo? lol

So I just say what I want to make there and wait for approval?

This confuses me. Why show the * in the example and then say to remove it.

For an Off-Topic OT, add [*i][OT][/i] to the prefix of your code (remove the *)

I think that's to look to see if anyone else is making it, or if it's a popular thing(Think Star Wars OT) you can 'sign up' to make it, so nobody else will snipe the Star Wars OT. For example~

todd360

I think that's to look to see if anyone else is making it, or if it's a popular thing(Think Star Wars OT) you can 'sign up' to make it, so nobody else will snipe the Star Wars OT. For example~

So you think I would be ok with just posting it once I make it? Someone would have surely made it by now if anyone wanted it.

I just found the OT I wanted to make with a google search. I never saw it on the front page... Oh well never mind.

maomaoIYP

Nah the timer isn't meant to be punishing, it's meant to encourage a strategy other than running up to the head glitchiest of lanes and hard scoping the fuck out of it. It'll be 10-30 seconds depending on the map size, that window seems big but I can't imagine it'll take much more to hangs up play style and eliminate the concept of "good spawns" on maps like burning shrine.

Oh I'm looking forward to it actually. I don't mind trying something new, and if anything it gives a lot more importance to team work in the first round.

So you think I would be ok with just posting it once I make it? Someone would have surely made it by now if anyone wanted it.

Pretty much. I mean, you might have to spruce it up, have a summary, maybe a banner for it, character profiles....but you should be free to make it, if it wasn't claimed already.

Nicodemic

Not exactly the update I was expecting but don't worry guys, we're getting a Cabal raid next march!

I will now go back to my candy castle and take a champagne shower before watching the VR special on the 100th anniversary of world peace and the end of hunger.

A special shoutout to the fine mars and jupiter colonies who make the most delicious cheese chocolate this side of the Milky Way!

Onward my silver unicorns!

It sounds like some decent changes are coming to Crucible but many of them sound like half measures. Mike from Breaking Bad will tell you. No half measures. At least they're doing something though.

I really hope we get an announcement of what's ahead for Destiny soon. I've been saying it for months, but we're to the point where I'm starting to care less. And I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Not exactly the update I was expecting but don't worry guys, we're getting a Cabal raid next march!

I will now go back to my candy castle and take a champagne shower before watching the VR special on the 100th anniversary of world peace and the end of hunger.

A special shoutout to the fine mars and jupiter colonies who make the most delicious cheese chocolate this side of the Milky Way!

Onward my silver unicorns!

Cheese chocolate you say?

Gordon

It sounds like some decent changes are coming to Crucible but many of them sound like half measures. Mike from Breaking Bad will tell you. No half measures. At least they're doing something though.

I really hope we get an announcement of what's ahead for Destiny soon. I've been saying it for months, but we're to the point where I'm starting to care less. And I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.
"Old Agnes says that this is no world for half measures."

I get the sense that they've got very little left up their sleeve, and what they do have they're not confident enough about being able to release to hype. The bits and pieces we've seen since TTK feels more like broken ideas they managed to get working even if only just, and less like a long-term plan laid out years in advance, scrupulously executed to generate the most excitement.

They ran behind with vanilla release, had significant shortfalls with DLC 1 and 2, and scrapped 3/4 completely. Frankly we've already seen more content in Y2 than I was expecting given the circumstances. Not satisfying by any means - don't get me wrong - but when by all accounts the ship is sinking, it's kinda nice that they're trying to play us out.

I personally can't wait for the Cheerful Liquor Parade event this March, where we have to kill the Fallen who have stolen the Towers only supply of alcoholic beverages. And I bet there's going to be a Green Ghost too!

Daemul

The partial special ammo nerf is a nice start and but there's still a long ways to go. The problem with special weapons was never how powerful they were, the problem was that you could run around using them as primaries, how and why Bungie let that happen still boggles my mind to this day.

The Inferno playlist already stops you spawning with special ammo, but it takes it further and puts special ammo spawns on a 3 minute timer, basically treating special ammo like Heavy, something which I wish Bungie could also have added to the other playlists with the upcoming update, but I guess they'll roll it out slowly. They need to sort out shit like Invective and Ice Breaker though, probably something like increasing their recharge time in PvP.

On another note, the Inferno playlist seems to be where Bungie's PvP team do a lot of their testing for new mechanics they plan on bringing to other playlists sometime down the line, so don't be surprised if at some point soon the radar is disabled in 3v3 playlists and Trials.

Gordon

I personally can't wait for the Cheerful Liquor Parade event this March, where we have to kill the Fallen who have stolen the Towers only supply of alcoholic beverages. And I bet there's going to be a Green Ghost too!
We already have an event that lets you earn a green ghost shell while drunkenly slaughtering dregs. It's called Iron Banner. http://i.imgur.com/BbgL7x3.gif

The partial special ammo nerf is a nice start and but there's still a long ways to go. The problem with special weapons was never how powerful they were, the problem was that you could run around using them as primaries, how and why Bungie let that happen still boggles my mind to this day.

The Inferno playlist already stops you spawning with special ammo, but it takes it further and puts special ammo spawns on a 3 minute timer, basically treating special ammo like Heavy, something which I wish Bungie could also have added to the other playlists with the upcoming update, but I guess they'll roll it out slowly. They need to sort out shit like Invective and Ice Breaker though, probably something like increasing their recharge time in PvP.

On another note, the Inferno playlist seems to be where Bungie's PvP team do a lot of their testing for new mechanics they plan on bringing to other playlists sometime down the line, so don't be surprised if at some point soon the radar is disabled in 3v3 playlists and Trials.
This, 100% - that's one of the things I enjoy most about Inferno. Eases the OHKfest a little. I hope they do add the 3 min timer to special in more/all playlists. It's nice to see something other than shotguns and 1KYS everywhere you look, even if it is primarily TLW that replaces them lol

LTWood12

They shouldn't have even mentioned fixing the teleporting ogres. If that's the only thing you're doing for pve in an update you've been hyping since before Christmas, just don't. That's something you fix independent of shit like this. Seriously of all the minor shit they could do and people are actually happy with this?

On special ammo:

Round 1
More skilled team bides their time, then wipes the other team just before special spawns. Winning team grabs special before the end of round timer runs out.

Round 2
Team with special snipes or shotgun rushes team without special.

Round 3
Team Special rushes and supers other team hoping to God for a rocket.

Round 4
See round 2

Round 5
See round 2

Edit: and reroll the fucking vendor weapons for christs' sake

Gordon

I'd like to see Inferno Trials. Camping special wouldn't be so easy with no radar and a 3 minute waiting period. TLW/NLB would probably become a lot more prevalent, but honestly that's not unreasonable in my book. NLB should have some value other than being kitschy to justify the exotic title. I know it's not bad - I just think it deserves more appreciation.

Drizzay, Igor, wanna test Trials with the Netduma and the Y1new matchmaking?

Drizzay is taking a break from Destiny outside of reset raids but i would be interested if the results after the patch are meaninful or if you would just get matched with people from Peru, Australia etc like before. (Or even green bars that were just as laggy as red bars that drizz experienced).

SnakeEyes

Banned
Hahaha. Stop playing COD and come back to Destiny my fellow Tronian.
I've stopped playing CoD now too, because I'm not forking out the horrendous prices Activision are asking for for the DLC packs. I'm actually right at the end of The Witness at the moment, and might go back to Grim Fandango afterwards.

Gordon

That would be next weekend I think. Patch seems to go live 2/9 and so it'll be Trials on 2/12 - 2/15

Drizzay is taking a break from Destiny outside of reset raids but i would be interested if the results after the patch are meaninful or if you would just get matched with people from Peru, Australia etc like before. (Or even green bars that were just as laggy as red bars that drizz experienced).

Sounds like the effects are already in place in Skirmish, Rumble, and Control if you want a taste. From my experience, intercontinental matches are the name of the game. That Netduma is starting to look like a really nice investment.

Edit: and it looks like Trials will be feeling it this week, although just the matching filters, not the special nerf

Top Bottom