• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OTForever29| The Season Finale

Best way atm is doing the nightfall to get bonus XP/rep, then doing the weekly heroic to get 500 rep + 20%. Then bounties, then strike playlist I believe.

Rep just kinda comes your way over time, I'm at rank 24 vanguard atm.

Better to do the Target patrol missions before the playlists, they give the same rep and you can just grind the ones on Earth. You can on average get 5 times the rep for the amount of time you would have spent doing the strike, plus requires far less attention. Also why Rank 24 vanguard? Their packages suck, they have no Shaders or ships.

Also, as an aside, the confirmation that you have to kill the wolf patrols now means Bungie is now okay with grimoire being unobtainable after a period of time.

Which means (potentially) the earlier you get into Destiny, the higher your grimoire score ceiling is..
I think this has been the case ever since the Queen's Wrath event happened, and the Queen's Emmisary card was added. The version of Petra at the reef doesn't get you that original tower Petra card.

Daemul

Just caught up with the weekly update, 3 questions:

1. Did I get this right - storing bounties in preparation for TTK won't work?

2. I will get my thorn although I never completed the bounty?

3. What do I need ether keys for?

1. It will work, just make sure that you actually do them asap before Tuesday.

2. Yep, you'll auto get the Thorn bounty complete. Bungie don't want people saving their exotic bounties until TTK and getting Year 2 versions of them.

3. Ether Key? Don't you mean treasure key? Ether Key is what you get after you complete one of the Wolves patrol events so that you can open the ether chest. Treasure keys can still be used to obtain HoW exotic weapons since they're being moved from the Elder Cipher to the Queens Chest in PoE.

GutZ31

I did my first Weekly Heroic Story today. It didn't go so well. I want prepared for it at all. I died near the end. I'm gonna try and get some better gear before I attempt it again

Can I also ask, what's the best way to earn rep for your faction? Rank 3 seems unreachable. I've just been doing patrol missions and whatever bounties that are available.

Crucible rep gets converted too, right?
If possible, doing the Nightfall Strike gets you 500 rep by its self.
Doing the nightfall also buffs you to receive more exp/rep from everything you do.
Once you get the nightfall boost, do the weekly heroic for another 500 rep.
Next is to do Tiger Strike playlist, as each strike you complete is 32 rep, with the nightfall buff.

Patrols are horrible for rep, unless you are killing VIP bosses, which still aren't that good.

Trace

Banned
Better to do the Target patrol missions before the playlists, they give the same rep and you can just grind the ones on Earth. You can on average get 5 times the rep for the amount of time you would have spent doing the strike, plus requires far less attention. Also why Rank 24 vanguard? Their packages suck, they have no Shaders or ships.

Because I have to remember to have my Dead Orbit cloak on and I usually forget.

ocean

Banned
I did my first Weekly Heroic Story today. It didn't go so well. I want prepared for it at all. I died near the end. I'm gonna try and get some better gear before I attempt it again

Can I also ask, what's the best way to earn rep for your faction? Rank 3 seems unreachable. I've just been doing patrol missions and whatever bounties that are available.

Crucible rep gets converted too, right?
Hello! I hope you don't mind me checking out your Destiny profile.

At level 21, and with every faction at rank 0, your best bet right now is to wait a few days. Soon you'll be able to level up past 21 using XP instead of having your progress limited by gear.

Mind you, gear will still be important! But you'll be able to better move forward. You are correct in thinking that while wearing a Faction Class Item, both Vanguard and Crucible rep will funnel into that faction.

The best way to level up faction rep is by doing bounties. If you happen to enjoy the Crucible, it's a great place to make some progress. Crucible will often drop Blue quality armor with higher Light levels than what you currently have. More importantly, it had a chance to randomly drop some great Legendary weapons.

At any rate, all the stuff you get will be replaced with new, more powerful gear with The Taken King in a very short time so don't stress too much.

Shito

Doing the nightfall also buffs you to receive more exp/rep from everything you do.
Next is to do Tiger Strike playlist, as each strike you complete is 32 rep, with the nightfall buff.

Patrols are horrible for rep, unless you are killing VIP bosses, which still aren't that good.
What? No no no, patrols are the most efficient way to farm rep.
They are way quicker to complete than a regular strike.

Because I have to remember to have my Dead Orbit cloak on and I usually forget.

Gosh I know that feeling, gonna be great when you can just pledge to one.

VIP's are 31 rep per boss. Just spawn into earth if it isn't in the first area go to the divide and then if not there go to rocket yard. If you luck out you will get 3 in one run. That's 93 rep in like 5 minutes. So much better than a 10 minute strike.

GlamFM

Banned
1. It will work, just make sure that you actually do them asap before Tuesday.

2. Yep, you'll auto get the Thorn bounty complete. Bungie don't want people saving their exotic bounties until TTK and getting Year 2 versions of them.

3. Ether Key? Don't you mean treasure key? Ether Key is what you get after you complete one of the Wolves patrol events so that you can open the ether chest. Treasure keys can still be used to obtain HoW exotic weapons since they're being moved from the Elder Cipher to the Queens Chest in PoE.

From the weekly update:

Complete those Year One Bounties
Don’t delete characters or dismantle items just yet
Try the Year One campaign again
Jump into the Crucible for some new action
Try your beloved Auto-Rifles again
Destroy remaining Wolf Packs and loot their chests for Ether Keys
Complete your House of Wolves Grimoire as it applies to hunting in the wild
Complete your Moments of Triumph [time extended – read below]

FyreWulff

I think this has been the case ever since the Queen's Wrath event happened, and the Queen's Emmisary card was added. The version of Petra at the reef doesn't get you that original tower Petra card.

Oh wow, I lucked out and got it when they were in the tower for the week before House of Wolves released. I never did an original Queen's Wrath at all and have the grimoire card Emissary.

GutZ31

What? No no no, patrols are the most efficient way to farm rep.
They are way quicker to complete than a regular strike.

Gosh I know that feeling, gonna be great when you can just pledge to one.

VIP's are 31 rep per boss. Just spawn into earth if it isn't in the first area go to the divide and then if not there go to rocket yard. If you luck out you will get 3 in one run. That's 93 rep in like 5 minutes. So much better than a 10 minute strike.
Potentially if you have nightfall buffs, you are correct.
It still depends on chance, as I've run into patrols that never showed VIP patrol missions.

Ocean has the best answer, as the guy is only level 21, so farming methods we may use won't really work for him.

Daemul

From the weekly update:

Complete those Year One Bounties
Don’t delete characters or dismantle items just yet
Try the Year One campaign again
Jump into the Crucible for some new action
Try your beloved Auto-Rifles again
Destroy remaining Wolf Packs and loot their chests for Ether Keys
Complete your House of Wolves Grimoire as it applies to hunting in the wild
Complete your Moments of Triumph [time extended – read below]

Deej pls, you get Treasure Keys from Ether chests not Ether keys. Ether keys are what open the Ether chests in the first place lol

Is the crucible the fastest way to level up a new character? Besides being carried in nightfall raids.

Yes! Very fast.

2-20 is about 4-5 hours of PvP. Once you get to level 10+ you can also do the story missions on Hard and get bonus xp as well.

Once you get to 20, you can buy an armor from Variks via an armor core from main. Then, you can get an exotic gear from Xur with your strange coins tomorrow regardless of what level you are. Assuming both Variks and Xur are 2 different types of gear, you'll auto be Level 26. Then PvP drops the most frequent blues and you'll find fairly high Light blues that'll jump you up a few levels really fast. Usually within an hour or 2.

maomaoIYP

So if one wanted to experiment with pulse Rifles, especially in the crucible, what gun might one choose that isn't Hopscotch? The only ones I have now are the exotic ones. I think I had a couple of 55s but they got the axe when vault space was really tight.

Any suggestions?

Buy a 55A-Allfate from the vanguard quartermaster, then reroll them to your liking.
My personal ranking of the most popular and easily available pulse rifles for crucible:
Hopscotch >>> messenger > allfate >> stranger's rifle. I don't have a red death listed because I don't have one anymore, but frankly speaking nothing beats hopscotch.

a regular non-VIP patrol mission is 12 rep with nightfall bonus. I feel I can get 3 of those done faster than a strike, which is also 36 rep opposed to 32 rep. Plus once you learn the patrol symbols and start clearing each area as efficiently as possible I'd argue the oppisite, strike play lists are horrible for rep.

I've done the strike play list only a couple times ever and stopped promptly when realizing they weren't properly rewarding my time investment.

Did someone order a Titan?

11221902_945513118820293_5045615022149783885_n.jpg

Can't wait till we can show different weapons on our backs, 4th Horseman will look awesome.

Daemul

With 16x5k bounties, 20 PE packages and a focused light, that's 195k experience ready for use. Surely that's enough to fully level up the new subclass, it has to be.

With 16x5k bounties, 20 PE packages and a focused light, that's 195k experience ready for use. Surely that's enough to fully level up the new subclass, it has to be.

Well if you combined that with the story then maybe? The last talent of the current trees start unlocking at 482,500 XP

GutZ31

That applies to strikes as well. Then it is 25 rep for 10+ minutes. That's woeful.
Personally, I can stay sane, and knock out level 24 strikes for longer than doing patrols.
If everything falls into place, patrol IS the fastest way to rep up.
I still hate it :/
a regular non-VIP patrol mission is 12 rep with nightfall bonus. I feel I can get 3 of those done faster than a strike, which is also 36 rep opposed to 32 rep. Plus once you learn the patrol symbols and start clearing each area as efficiently as possible I'd argue the oppisite, strike play lists are horrible for rep.

I've done the strike play list only a couple times ever and stopped promptly when realizing they weren't properly rewarding my time investment.

This is still assuming VIP missions are at almost every location you visit.
It still can be faster rep gain if you only get 1 VIP and 2 random kill missions on patrol.
I would argue the "horrible" is that I want to fall asleep after less than an hour of that.

Then again, more than and hour of strikes and I would be wanting to take a nap.

Bounties are the way to go.
:(

For anyone that wants numarical values for rep gain, and what gives it.

Personally, I can stay sane, and knock out level 24 strikes for longer than doing patrols.
If everything falls into place, patrol IS the fastest way to rep up.
I still hate it :/

Oh I agree it isn't fun, grinding rep in any MMO never is. I only use it when I'm like 500 rep off a faction package, I chuck on a podcast or some tunes and smash out 16 of them, If all goes well that's only 20-30 mins.

Phear

Sh*t, need 27 Public Events and PoE on Hard for that year 1 Emblem... got 4 hours this evening, then im on vacation for a week.

Can it be done?

Raybunny

I was looking for this. Cheers. I still need 2 days to hedge all my factions and then keep 10 5k bounties in each character.

Sh*t, need 27 Public Events and PoE on Hard for that year 1 Emblem... got 4 hours this evening, then im on vacation for a week.

Can it be done?

You have a very limited time to do that. The public events will take that time alone even with the site to support. Give your details to someone you trust. He can then finish it for you while you are on vacation.

Can it be done?

The 27 events by themselves will take at least 4 hrs

Also that website is rad. There was something I didn't know which doesn't happen often. I though white and green engrams just decrypted automatically once you hit 20, turns out it is when you hit rank 3!

This is still assuming VIP missions are at almost every location you visit.
It still can be faster rep gain if you only get 1 VIP and 2 random kill missions on patrol.
I would argue the "horrible" is that I want to fall asleep after less than an hour of that.

Then again, more than and hour of strikes and I would be wanting to take a nap.

Bounties are the way to go.
:(

For anyone that wants numarical values for rep gain, and what gives it.
Even if there were no VIP missions ever, patrol is a faster source of rep than strike play list.

Of course bounties are the way to go, and I would never suggest farming patrol missions for any large length of time. I'm speaking more of the situation where you finished all your bounties and are only 200 rep away from leveling up and you don't want to wait until the next day. I'd do patrol missions every time.

just played through my first raid ever where the people running it were total dicks. everyone else was doing good but any mistake made the two hosting it would call them out and shut them down so no one really wanted to talk unless necessary. then when we got to atheon things wouldn't go right and the fireteam leader would get so frustrated and do the fake out going to orbit thing over and over which was doing jack shit for morale. they just wanted to speed run the raid or something, they had no patience and it ended up bringing everyone down. eventually we won and i got my vex mythoclast finally. i don't care what its standings are, i remember hearing it was going to be nerfed for pvp, not sure about pve. but i've wanted it so long i'm just pretty happy. also finally making the jump to lvl 34 tonight after i get a little more glimmer. i'm just glad everyone before this that i ever met with in destiny were really great people.

ocean

Banned
Gaming side threads about DLC give me heartburn. It's outstanding how poor a grasp most people here on GAF have on the basic notions of business and economics. I think most of these guys are either children, trolls, or idiots.

Maybe I'm missing something here. I'll try to make a Destiny example.

If Bungie tomorrow sold a shader for US$2, or US$40, or US$800 for that matter...how on earth could you interpret this as unbridled greed or milking the fans?

Some people will think it's worth it and buy it. Others won't think it's worth it and not buy it. The same as any literally product or service anywhere. That's it though. There's no further implication.

This whole "micro DLC had no place in a AAA release" thing is just incomprehensible to me. It's like saying a car manufacturer is somehow taking advantage of buyers for *offering* premium options - it's ridiculous. Like, I get it if you think one thing or another is a ripoff - whether it's overpriced coffee or DLC. But to contend that the mere fact of creating something to sell is somehow offensive, wrong, and has no place in this industry is just so, so strange.

If you buy a US$2 shader or an US$800 emblem, as a consenting adult with complete information on what you're giving up and what you're getting in exchange, you'll be voluntarily engaging in a transaction where both buyer and seller emerge satisfied. By definition, if you pay US$2 or US$800 for that cosmetic item, you're revealing that you gain more utility or satisfaction from the ownership of that cosmetic than from having this money in your account.

If I, on the other hand, value US$800 in my account more than a shader, I'll refuse to buy and my satisfaction with the game will not be otherwise diminished. If the company wants to keep creating content, and requires compensation in order to afford producing such new creations, all the better if they find an audience willing to pay for it!

I just don't understand why so many gamers feel this is somehow a special or different industry which should play by special business rules.

GutZ31

just played through my first raid ever where the people running it were total dicks. everyone else was doing good but any mistake made the two hosting it would call them out and shut them down so no one really wanted to talk unless necessary. then when we got to atheon things wouldn't go right and the fireteam leader would get so frustrated and do the fake out going to orbit thing over and over which was doing jack shit for morale. they just wanted to speed run the raid or something, they had no patience and it ended up bringing everyone down. eventually we won and i got my vex mythoclast finally. i don't care what its standings are, i remember hearing it was going to be nerfed for pvp, not sure about pve. but i've wanted it so long i'm just pretty happy. also finally making the jump to lvl 34 tonight after i get a little more glimmer. i'm just glad everyone before this that i ever met with in destiny were really great people.

Please tell me this wasnt gaffers.

GutZ31

Gaming side threads about DLC give me heartburn. It's outstanding how poor a grasp most people here on GAF have on the basic notions of business and economics. I think most of these guys are either children, trolls, or idiots.

If Bungie tomorrow sold a shader for US$2, or US$40, or US$800 for that matter...how on earth could you interpret this as unbridled greed or milking the fans?

Some people will think it's worth it and buy it. Others won't think it's worth it and not buy it. The same as any literally product or service anywhere. That's it though. There's no further implication.

This whole "micro DLC had no place in a AAA release" thing is just incomprehensible to me. It's like saying a car manufacturer is somehow taking advantage of buyers for *offering* premium options - it's ridiculous. Like, I get it if you think one thing or another is a ripoff - whether it's overpriced coffee or DLC. But to contend that the mere fact of creating something to sell is somehow offensive, wrong, and has no place in this industry is just so, so strange.

If you buy a US$2 shader or an US$800 emblem, as a consenting adult with complete information on what you're giving up and what you're getting in exchange, you'll be voluntarily engaging in a transaction where both buyer and seller emerge satisfied. By definition, if you pay US$2 or US$800 for that cosmetic item, you're revealing that you gain more utility or satisfaction from the ownership of that cosmetic than from having this money in your account.

If I, on the other hand, value US$800 in my account more than a shader, I'll refuse to buy and my satisfaction with the game will not be otherwise diminished. If the company wants to keep creating content, and requires compensation in order to afford producing such new creations, all the better if they find an audience willing to pay for it!

I just don't understand why so many gamers feel this is somehow a special or different industry which should play by special business rules.

Shader/emblems = pay to win?

Every time I go to gaming side for Destiny related news, I just want to cover my eyes and pretend I didn't read any of it.

Ambitious

Sounds like LFG. Don't use that. Play with GAF only. It might take slightly longer to find a group, but you'll be having a good time.

Nuszka

Morning dgaf !!! Some awesome news from last night weekly update.
Just saw a tweet from Mike Nosworthy that we will be able to level up the gunsmith by renting out the weapons come tuesday. So glad for everyone, myself i will be on vacation for a week starting tomorrow. This will be an awesome week prior to the lunch of tTK.

My problem with DLC is that it can be abused. Like cutting shit out of the game just to sell it to me later !
I guess thats the basic issue with DLC, gamers are afraid that this shit will happen.

DLC done right, can be amazing. Look at Witcher 3!
Dont charge for anything unless its a big expansion with hours of gameplay. Shaders and other shit should be free.

bitsurugi

Think you won't be able to get 16x bounties, since from 2.0 there won't be no bounties to pick up untill TTK.

Unless we get some new kind of bounties (this would be cool!). Otherwise i see no reason for them to auto delete non completed bounties, just to give us the same bounties again.

I saw no mention on new bounties, so the logical conclusion is that there will be no bounties. But hey, they also don't deny it, so we MIGHT get new (vanguard & crucible) bounties.

In fact, we will surely get the new gunsmith bounties.

One can hope :)

Top Bottom