• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OTForever29| The Season Finale

Morning dgaf !!! Some awesome news from last night weekly update.
Just saw a tweet from Mike Nosworthy that we will be able to level up the gunsmith by renting out the weapons come tuesday. So glad for everyone, myself i will be on vacation for a week starting tomorrow. This will be an awesome week prior to the lunch of tTK.

Gunsmith making renting things cool again!

Silent Fang are outside the grotto's near Forgotten Shore. They seem to not all spawn though.

Dammit missed Top of Page, wanted to post Space Ferrari.

e2541318-f4d3-4eaa-acf5-c1a06b85a525.png

Ambitious

Gaming side threads about DLC give me heartburn. It's outstanding how poor a grasp most people here on GAF have on the basic notions of business and economics. I think most of these guys are either children, trolls, or idiots.

Maybe I'm missing something here. I'll try to make a Destiny example.

If Bungie tomorrow sold a shader for US$2, or US$40, or US$800 for that matter...how on earth could you interpret this as unbridled greed or milking the fans?

Some people will think it's worth it and buy it. Others won't think it's worth it and not buy it. The same as any literally product or service anywhere. That's it though. There's no further implication.

This whole "micro DLC had no place in a AAA release" thing is just incomprehensible to me. It's like saying a car manufacturer is somehow taking advantage of buyers for *offering* premium options - it's ridiculous. Like, I get it if you think one thing or another is a ripoff - whether it's overpriced coffee or DLC. But to contend that the mere fact of creating something to sell is somehow offensive, wrong, and has no place in this industry is just so, so strange.

If you buy a US$2 shader or an US$800 emblem, as a consenting adult with complete information on what you're giving up and what you're getting in exchange, you'll be voluntarily engaging in a transaction where both buyer and seller emerge satisfied. By definition, if you pay US$2 or US$800 for that cosmetic item, you're revealing that you gain more utility or satisfaction from the ownership of that cosmetic than from having this money in your account.

If I, on the other hand, value US$800 in my account more than a shader, I'll refuse to buy and my satisfaction with the game will not be otherwise diminished. If the company wants to keep creating content, and requires compensation in order to afford producing such new creations, all the better if they find an audience willing to pay for it!

I just don't understand why so many gamers feel this is somehow a special or different industry which should play by special business rules.

Because something as minor as a shader isn't worth $800. The fact that some people would be okay with that and buy it doesn't make it okay to sell it for that price.

Gaming side threads about DLC give me heartburn. It's outstanding how poor a grasp most people here on GAF have on the basic notions of business and economics. I think most of these guys are either children, trolls, or idiots.

Maybe I'm missing something here. I'll try to make a Destiny example.

If Bungie tomorrow sold a shader for US$2, or US$40, or US$800 for that matter...how on earth could you interpret this as unbridled greed or milking the fans?

Some people will think it's worth it and buy it. Others won't think it's worth it and not buy it. The same as any literally product or service anywhere. That's it though. There's no further implication.

This whole "micro DLC had no place in a AAA release" thing is just incomprehensible to me. It's like saying a car manufacturer is somehow taking advantage of buyers for *offering* premium options - it's ridiculous. Like, I get it if you think one thing or another is a ripoff - whether it's overpriced coffee or DLC. But to contend that the mere fact of creating something to sell is somehow offensive, wrong, and has no place in this industry is just so, so strange.

If you buy a US$2 shader or an US$800 emblem, as a consenting adult with complete information on what you're giving up and what you're getting in exchange, you'll be voluntarily engaging in a transaction where both buyer and seller emerge satisfied. By definition, if you pay US$2 or US$800 for that cosmetic item, you're revealing that you gain more utility or satisfaction from the ownership of that cosmetic than from having this money in your account.

If I, on the other hand, value US$800 in my account more than a shader, I'll refuse to buy and my satisfaction with the game will not be otherwise diminished. If the company wants to keep creating content, and requires compensation in order to afford producing such new creations, all the better if they find an audience willing to pay for it!

I just don't understand why so many gamers feel this is somehow a special or different industry which should play by special business rules.
While I fully agree, I honestly never want to see microtransactions even for cosmetic shaders/emblems in Destiny. I really like the feeling in a game when everything there is top unlock is unlocked as a reward, and if that means paying for arguably pricey expansions to keep it that then so be it.

Raybunny

just played through my first raid ever where the people running it were total dicks. everyone else was doing good but any mistake made the two hosting it would call them out and shut them down so no one really wanted to talk unless necessary. then when we got to atheon things wouldn't go right and the fireteam leader would get so frustrated and do the fake out going to orbit thing over and over which was doing jack shit for morale. they just wanted to speed run the raid or something, they had no patience and it ended up bringing everyone down. eventually we won and i got my vex mythoclast finally. i don't care what its standings are, i remember hearing it was going to be nerfed for pvp, not sure about pve. but i've wanted it so long i'm just pretty happy. also finally making the jump to lvl 34 tonight after i get a little more glimmer. i'm just glad everyone before this that i ever met with in destiny were really great people.

Hey space, I had similar experiences in the past. Before GAF I used only LFG for all activities since my friends left Destiny before they could reach the content I was experiencing. I learnt that making the group and the party would yield better results and a better experience even fun.

As you mentioned the fireteam leader is seen in the LFG as a barometer of the party mood and progress. It's always good to set up the objectives before any activity. That is what I did each time. Slow run, fast run, learning process, ask question if need, don't be shy, if need help call it, etc.. etc... Overall makes for a better experience but everything seems to be tied with the leader if he takes control of the party right at the beginning or not.

On that result, I found in GAF a very good Destiny community, knowledgeable, cocky about 4th horsemans, great pve and pvpers, bitchy about downtimes and much more.

Ambitious

Still need Wanted:Silent Fang for completion of the Wolves grimoire apparently. Anyone know where these are?

I used this list to find the Wolves. There's a textual description of their locations and the possible locations of the Ether Chests, but there's are also videos showing how to get there.

Silent Fang:
Patrol Cosmodrome, go left and reach Mothyards. Continue to Forgotten Shore then to Grottos. After reaching Grottos, go off the first small path to the left of the main road. You will find 2 Dregs there. The invisible Silent Fang is at the end of the path. You have to restart the Patrol 2 times to get all 3 kills. It it stupid and maybe a bug which is fixed in some weeks.

Load the mission called "Siege of the Warmind" and use restart. Follow the mission until you reach the RAS-2 bunker door, when the door is open, the checkpoint is activated. Go now to the grottos area, kill the silent fang and go to Orbit. Here you select the Siege of the Warmind mission again and use resume, you will start directly at the bunker door and have a really short way to the silent fang / grottos area. Repeat this twice and you solve the bounty in no time.

ocean

Banned
Shaders/cosmetic items aren't that bad. Pay to win is.
I'd contend even there, this is a business like any other. If Thorn 2.0 wrecks and costs __________, I have basically three rational reactions I can come up with:
1. I enjoy this game a lot to pay _________ to get an item which will help me perform better
2. I'm not interested enough in my performance in this game to pay _________, I'm fine as is
3. I care about my performance enough to be upset and stop playing this game I otherwise enjoy, because I think out of principle it shouldn't be sold

I could see 3. being reasonable when the model is introduced after a game's release, since it would be a case of rules changing (asymmetrical information of sorts, since you did not know before buying the game that you'd have to keep investing in it).

But in any case, the larger issue with a Pay 2 Win model isn't strictly that the best weapons cost additional money. It's that the game isn't balanced. Like, the Thorn/TLW situation right now is absolutely terrible. They're too far removed from the rest of the game. Whether they're free or not doesn't change the larger problem of lacking balance.

As a Destiny player, I don't think I'd mind a gun being sold for cash. A Pulse Rifle for 5 cents I would skip. A Hand Cannon for US$20 I'd buy. Subjective value and all that. Something being sold and I don't think it's worth it? No buy, that simple. On the other hand, I'd really mind a gun being OP, free or DLC.

This whole "micro DLC had no place in a AAA release" thing is just incomprehensible to me.
I have no issues with cosmetic DLC in any type of game, be it F2P or AAA (give people choice, yadayada), HOWEVER... something like MGS V FOB coins is a disgusting example of microtransactions and should be called out for what it is... a digusting practice in a full priced AAA game.

Ambitious

I'd contend even there, this is a business like any other. If Thorn 2.0 wrecks and costs __________, I have basically three rational reactions I can come up with:
1. I enjoy this game a lot to pay _________ to get an item which will help me perform better
2. I'm not interested enough in my performance in this game to pay _________, I'm fine as is
3. I care about my performance enough to be upset and stop playing this game I otherwise enjoy, because I think out of principle it shouldn't be sold

I could see 3. being reasonable when the model is introduced after a game's release, since it would be a case of rules changing (asymmetrical information of sorts, since you did not know before buying the game that you'd have to keep investing in it).

But in any case, the larger issue with a Pay 2 Win model isn't strictly that the best weapons cost additional money. It's that the game isn't balanced. Like, the Thorn/TLW situation right now is absolutely terrible. They're too far removed from the rest of the game. Whether they're free or not doesn't change the larger problem of lacking balance.

As a Destiny player, I don't think I'd mind a gun being sold for cash. A Pulse Rifle for 5 cents I would skip. A Hand Cannon for US$20 I'd buy. Subjective value and all that. Something being sold and I don't think it's worth it? No buy, that simple. On the other hand, I'd really mind a gun being OP, free or DLC.

4. I won't stop playing the game, but I think this is a bullshit move and I'm gonna call them out on it

ocean

Banned
Because something as minor as a shader isn't worth $800. The fact that some people would be okay with that and buy it doesn't make it okay to sell it for that price.
According to you. And me obviously. And most people. But that doesn't make a difference.

Nothing in the planet has inherent value. Not gold, not diamonds, not food, not clothes, not DLC. All the same. Value is subjective and decided by consumers when they reveal their purchasing decision.

How much is the original scroll-typed copy of On The Road worth? My mother, who doesn't speak English and isn't much interested in literature would probably say it isn't worth US$10. Others would pay millions for a few hundred stapled together, decades-old pages.

Whether a shader is "worth" US$800 or not is a decision individuals make. Most would obviously say it isn't. But, as someone who would skip and lol at it, the urge to think "it's not OK to be sold at that price" is just bizarre.

I'd never buy a US$50k watch. I don't like em enough for that. But I do think it's ok to sell them for that price, or for millions what do I care.

Raybunny

I have no issues with cosmetic DLC in any type of game, be it F2P or AAA (give people choice, yadayada), HOWEVER... something like MGS V FOB coins is a disgusting example of microtransactions and should be called out for what it is... a digusting practice in a full priced AAA game.

^ That is what I think also.

Cosmetics are fine from the moment they do not influence on any way the game. Exp gains is acceptable. Many would like to get those items maxed but got a limited time to play.

GutZ31

My problem with DLC is that it can be abused. Like cutting shit out of the game just to sell it to me later !
I guess thats the basic issue with DLC, gamers are afraid that this shit will happen.

DLC done right, can be amazing. Look at Witcher 3!
Dont charge for anything unless its a big expansion with hours of gameplay. Shaders and other shit should be free.

The Witcher 3 has one of the best models for DLC in gaming so far.
That being said, it is in its own bubble, as it is developed, and published by the same company.

Once you get into devs working under publishers, you have the problem of "appeasing" the shareholders.
In more realistic terms "Putting money in CEO's pockets".
CoD has been doing micro transactions on cosmetics, like weapon skins, and I find this disgusting in some ways, but at the end of the day, it doesn't effect me if I don't buy it.

When DLC is sold that gives people who pay an unfair advantage, be it better gear, more money, or powers locked behind a paywall, I find this the most disgusting, with no redeeming quality whatsoever.

Something being sold and I don't think it's worth it? No buy, that simple.

This is pretty much how real life works. Don't think it is worth it? That's fine, other people are allowed to think that it is however. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

In term's of video games since it does not mirror real life exactly and the environment can be altered, I have an issue where a company sells something outright that negatively impacts other players experiences. But they are entitled to sell whatever they want for whatever price they want.

ocean

Banned
Wait I wanna come back to this. This breaks with like every fundamental of economics which has ever existed.

What, if not consumer demand, makes a price "okay"?

someday

Banned
If Destiny started selling guns, especially good guns, for real money, I would be done with this game. It wouldn't even be a hard decision. Could you imagine Hawkmoon being paid dlc? Especially when they're already selling emotes for $20.

I used to be in the same boat being ok with cosmetic DLC in any game, but then I started noticing this trend that the only way your character could look interesting is by coughing up money. Even when I end up buying the items too, it just isn't the same as awesome looking earned cosmetics. I'd much rather pay any other business scheme.

^ That is what I think also.

Cosmetics are fine from the moment they do not influence on any way the game. Exp gains is acceptable. Many would like to get those items maxed but got a limited time to play.
Assuming that the publisher isn't going to force XP gain to be any slower than if no such XP booster existed, then yes it's fine. However, I feel more often than not the existence of XP boosters negatively impacts those who don't but them because the publisher feels the urge to make regular XP gain very slow to make the perceived value of the boosters higher.

GutZ31

If Destiny started selling guns, especially good guns, for real money, I would be done with this game. It wouldn't even be a hard decision. Could you imagine Hawkmoon being paid dlc? Especially when they're already selling emotes for $20.

Agreed.

Ambitious

Is the Google Chrome version of Tower Ghost for Destiny broken for anyone else? When I just launched it, it displayed the release notes for version 3.0.9 and crashed after a few seconds. Chrome's extension list said it was damaged and needed to be repaired. I did so, but it still crashes a few seconds after launching it.

3.1.0 is out, an emergency fix for the Chrome issue. Works perfectly again.

The playtime would decrease, the monetary gains in the short term are absolutely without question not worth it, literally never gonna happen.

ocean

Banned
Once you get into devs working under publishers, you have the problem of "appeasing" the shareholders.
In more realistic terms "Putting money in CEO's pockets".
"Appeasing" its owners is exactly what a company should do. When you invest in a company, you do so under the expectation that your employees - from the CEO to a low level secretary - are working to make you money. Because that's literally the single purpose a company exists for: to generate wealth for its owners.

If I owned a part of Activision or Bungie and I saw people on EBay paying US$100 for a Blacksmith shader I would most definitely make a call to management to ask why they're ignoring market demand for premium cosmetics. Only acceptable answer is lower expected future revenue if a larger part of player base is disappointed. Unless you expect a measure will decrease future expected income, you do it.

Not that I'm asking for paid cosmetics. I'm fine and dandy being able to gain anything. But if Blacksmith were sold on PSN for US$100, I'd just be happy people who value it that much could get it, and sad at the display of crazy on gaming side :p of course I wouldn't buy it myself, but I wouldn't be offended by the fact that some people did.

Raybunny

I used to be in the same boat being ok with cosmetic DLC in any game, but then I started noticing this trend that the only way your character could look interesting is by coughing up money. Even when I end up buying the items too, it just isn't the same as awesome looking earned cosmetics. I'd much rather pay any other business scheme.

Assuming that the publisher isn't going to force XP gain to be any slower than if no such XP booster existed, then yes it's fine. However, I feel more often than not the existence of XP boosters negatively impacts those who don't but them because the publisher feels the urge to make regular XP gain very slow to make the perceived value of the boosters higher.

Only on that condition yes.

Value is interesting. I know some people that don't think the Taken King is worth it, then some people you think it is okay to buy the collectors for whatever price it is in America and then people like me who thinks it's okay to sell it for $120 because I wanted it and that's the best price I could get it for.

Regarding 2.0

I am one blue engram away from leveling the cryptarc. Shall I leave it like that and rank him up once 2.0 hits to get a legendary package at the post office quite fast after 2.0?

Value is interesting. I know some people that don't think the Taken King is worth it, then some people you think it is okay to buy the collectors for whatever price it is in America and then people like me who thinks it's okay to sell it for $120 because I wanted it and that's the best price I could get it for.
And then you have a lot of people who have no sense of value and instead insist that they should own everything a developer has worked on up until release day for $60 because . . . well I don't know.

Value is definitely unique to every person, just seems odd that a lot of video game consumers can't seem to look at what company X is offering, compare it to the price, and determine if it matches up with how they value it.

Out 1

Victim and Hawkian are saints!

edit: I inherited a Skolas checkpoint and these two stuck with it for a couple of hours to help me move one giant step closer to completing my triumphs!

The Skolas was angry that day my friends!

Glad that you got the triumph, congrats man!

Is TTK (not the legendary edition) up for preorder on EU PSN? Couldn't find it earlier.

njd_online

Banned
Yeah, forgive me if this has been asked already...

BUUUTTTT

If Petra's missions are going and the wolves bounties won't be available BUT prison of elders is still a thing (even if it is remaining as year 1 content) then how are we gonna get hold of keys to open the main chest?

Yeah, forgive me if this has been asked already...

BUUUTTTT

If Petra's missions are going and the wolves bounties won't be available BUT prison of elders is still a thing (even if it is remaining as year 1 content) then how are we gonna get hold of keys to open the main chest?

They may make them drop at the end of each PoE. Or raise the drop chance from the small chests at the end.

njd_online

Banned
They may make them drop at the end of each PoE. Or raise the drop chance from the small chests at the end.

Yeah that must be it, right? They've said in the update that the exotics from house of wolves will drop after Skolas now without the need to do the bounty.

That chest is gonna need a key! Guess I better do a bit of farming this week for that.

Makikou

Logged in today for the first time since the release of HoW.

Deleted my lv25 Warlock, ready to start a new character when 2.0 hits next week. Looking forward to seeing how different it is to getting lv30+ with only EXP instead of Light *cough*
bullshit
*cough*

Top Bottom