• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OTForever29| The Season Finale

Raybunny

There's a few "types" of streams and I think the barrier of entry is different for each:

1. Competitive PvP. This only recently became popular as people have grown tired of the same old PvE content and start paying more attention to PvP. Problem here: most are on Xbox, and getting attention sort of requires playing regularly with the already popular guys like War and Poshy and Gabe. None of these guys crack 1,000 viewers for the most part, but they hover around a steady 500, give or take a few hundred. War would be the example to follow here. Sweatiest guy alive. As they say, dude brings his Xbox to the dinner table in case somebody wants to sweat.

2. General PvP: don't really have a name for this? I mean dudes like Wish. Super talented PvP but not in the sweaty scene, just pubstomping. All about the banter and interaction with your team. Gotta be cool.

3. Trials: this you know well. Like Nghtly, Cat, Unstable and many others - carrying viewers to Mercury, all weekend, every weekend. This would ideally mean having a solid wingman because double carrying isn't reliable and when you're doing it live, losing often is rough. Better one at a time at 90+ win% than 2 at a time with 80% - it's important that losses seem like a rare occurrence. I'm not really sure this is exactly saturated - people always want them carries - but skill alone isn't enough. General Matsumoto is a goddamn beast but rarely cracks a few dozen viewers - just too quiet. A flashy montage that goes Reddit popular could be a good way to wade yourself into this flexible niche, and with Trials going on hiatus with TTK you have time to save some clips.

4. "Hardcore" PvE: Speedruns, world first solo attempts, difficulty challenges, playing under leveled. Think HM05, Slayerage etc. I don't think there's room for a lot of guys doing this :p but I don't know much about it anyways, not my cup of tea.

5. General stream: a little bit of everything. These are the biggest streams - Gothalion, Broman, Streamerhouse. They're also the worst. But popularity you know. I think these are the "started with the Alpha" dudes (the big ones at any rate). These guys cast a super wide net, so their potential audience is just about anyone who likes the game. This in turn leads to them being, naturally, the closest to Bungie. Probably the hardest niche to crack. The established guys are so, so big and most of these guys aren't even thaaat good at the game so bringing a higher skill game won't away their viewers. Annoying as they might be to us, these are the guys Twitch viewers like to see.

Of course most streamers will go out of their box occasionally but I think these are the main categories no? Guys like Lumi and Nghtly are relatively new to Twitch popularity and they're growing at a pretty decent pace.

Pubstomping with witty commentary during the week, a few sweats in between, Trials during the weekend? I think Lumi's is a great template to follow in terms of stream variety. He just needs a little more consistency in streaming a bit more regularly.

Most important thing though is not to get your hopes too high. You're crazy skilled, but ultimately you're competing for attention against hundreds of others. I mean you yourself know tons of guys who play at the very highest level and are totally unknown outside tryhard circles. General Matsumoto is a great example - dude is a beast, streams every day, often plays with more popular guys like some Devils for visibility, and yet he still hovers at a dozen or two viewers. Then you have guys who are like legit hella avg and get tons of viewers because they found a group of fans who enjoy their particular brand of annoying.

Been saying for a while, I'd love a GAF stream to go big!

Good analyse of the types of streamers. You forgot one if it can be considered a streamer. Scrubby ones like me. Stream once in a lifetime for the fun of it that gets 1 viewer (being themselves) hopping for nothing.

bitsurugi

Good analyse of the types of streamers. You forgot one if it can be considered a streamer. Scrubby ones like me. Stream once in a lifetime for the fun of it that gets 1 viewer (being themselves) hopping for nothing.

Well, i try to watch all DGAF streams when i have time and mostly i follow them all.

Post more often your link, will gladly follow you :)

ocean

Banned
Ocean, will cryptarch packages carry over or should I open them now?
100% sure faction packages won't decrypt into new things. Cryptarch packages shouldn't either, in theory, but I've heard some people say these work differently and are worth saving. I wouldn't hold my breath tbh. Save them because it's not like there's anything good you can get from them now :p nothing to lose in trying. But yeah pretty sure you'll get pre 2.0 stuff.
Let's do it man. Live from France, Crucible scrubbery for all to witness.

Raybunny

100% sure faction packages won't decrypt into new things. Cryptarch packages shouldn't either, in theory, but I've heard some people say these work differently and are worth saving. I wouldn't hold my breath tbh. Save them because it's not like there's anything good you can get from them now :p nothing to lose in trying. But yeah pretty sure you'll get pre 2.0 stuff.

Let's do it man. Live from France, Crucible scrubbery for all to witness.

Lets do this, feels like a good plan. But after work. 7 hours to go.

GlamFM

Banned
What are the odds we will get Salvage today?

Is there a pattern?

It´s one of two achievements I´m missing.

bitsurugi

What are the odds we will get Salvage today?

Is there a pattern?

It´s one of two achievements I´m missing.

It's either that or combined arms.

For grimoire try doubles if it will be up, shorter games and 50% for a salvage. Even if it's every 2 games, it's still faster with a good 2nd.

Been saying for a while, I'd love a GAF stream to go big!

Great breakdown, right on the money. For this last point I feel like the best possibility is to have a Streamerhouse-like setup where many different Gaffers could rotate through a frequent streaming schedule. One of the biggest points for streams to gain traction is to have your channel live a lot so people get used to seeing you on and hanging out there. Gaf is amazing but it's also quite small so the fan base would have to spread out a lot. Ultimately the people who invest the most hours and treat it like a job tend to get the best results.

In regards to streaming etc I'd add that youtube vidoes create a couple of extra niches:-

1. The reference video/information. Datto did a LOT of these in the early days, he even had spreadsheets with numbers in. Might be explaining how the light system works or what a faction does.

This would require some work to build up a reasonable body of material, but TTK is essentially a fresh start so it could be a good time to build up momentum

2. Related to 1 - the tutorial video - explaining how to run sword or relic or one-man Crota.

3. 1 and 2 but for PvP - these include "re-roll" videos, map explanations, and general pvp tactics.

What I'd personally like to see, as a mainly PvE person but PvP-curious would be a series of videos going from general PvP basics (where to go in the map, styles of play etc) through to some Destiny specifics (defend heavy versus super heavy etc) and tips for playing with randoms as opposed to in a team.

To get interaction with your viewers (which seems to be what media is all about) you could do a couple of things:-

set challenges for people - e.g. play X for a weekend and improve their K/D...get a double or triple kil with a sniper or whatever - something aligned with the tutorial video to get people to go out and try it in the crucible.

The important bit would be to feature videos and/or screenshots of them achieveing this a week later.

The second one would be to offer a review/commentary service - people send in clips and you review them - would need to be a mix of insightful commentary, gentle ribbing of crap play, and applauding of skill.

These could both be tied together in relation to whatever topic the latest PvP video was about.

ocean

Banned
Great breakdown, right on the money. For this last point I feel like the best possibility is to have a Streamerhouse-like setup where many different Gaffers could rotate through a frequent streaming schedule. One of the biggest points for streams to gain traction is to have your channel live a lot so people get used to seeing you on and hanging out there. Gaf is amazing but it's also quite small so the fan base would have to spread out a lot. Ultimately the people who invest the most hours and treat it like a job tend to get the best results.
I think montages can be powerful. Remember when Nghtly started streaming Trials? Averaged like 30 viewers and like 20 were from GAF following Zoba's recommendation :p a well-edited montage that Reddit liked = 10x the viewership (cracked 5k followers this weekend).

I think you could play all your cards right and set up a cool stream people like for maybe a few hundred people some weeks in if a montage kicks off. The tricky part is going beyond that. Hitting thousands is tough. Don't know if there's a reliable roadmap, but sharing the stream or hosting so it's live frequently would probably be required unless you wanna treat it like a job.

On streams I just find inadvertently funny ones the best. Adam Boyes, unstables desk etc Drizzays 12yr old nemesis is the best one I've watched so far

10 minutes to reset and our final run out with full power Gjallahorns and Blackhammers

Any early morning Nightfallers, raiders or PoE parties forming for the flip?

I haven't been up for a weekly flip in a long while and thought I might take advantage.

bitsurugi

On streams I just find inadvertently funny ones the best. Adam Boyes, unstables desk etc Drizzays 12yr old nemesis is the best one I've watched so far

10 minutes to reset and our final run out with full power Gjallahorns and Blackhammers

Today should be Valus or Phogoth? Forgot where i have seen the reddit topic of the guy predicting the last 3 NF's.

ocean

Banned
Shit forgot to do Nightfall. Anyone on XB1 want to jump in before the reset?
You have two minutes. Go!

Lol I think you don't get rewards of you finish past the reset time, don't bother trying now. Just jump in after reset so you don't waste your time.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
You have two minutes. Go!

Lol I think you don't get rewards of you finish past the reset time, don't bother trying now. Just jump in after reset so you don't waste your time.

My XB1 wasn't in standby so the boot up time screwed me lol. If we don't get rewards then screw it.

If Valus is for this week with Arc and Solar then he's a walk in the park.

eFKac

Haven't done Nightfall ever before so maybe I don't know what I'm getting myself into but I'm interested!

PSN: Filip_Kackiewicz

Acidote

Salvage and Flawless raider are thw only two trophies I have left to get, so I guess it's salvage time.

But first I need to do HM Crota for the Triumph. Only thing left and I'll be done. And after last night Skolas I'm finally 34.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Haven't done Nightfall ever before so maybe I don't know what I'm getting myself into but I'm interested!

PSN: Filip_Kackiewicz

Just a strike but harder and more enemies. But certain weapon types and other things can be in your favour. So this week Arc and Solar weapons will damage them better and our melee is stronger.

Top and feeling fabulous.

hubqxqc8qlsgqha4sdgp.gif

1qPcWxm.gif

Top Bottom