• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

You need a lot less damage per hit than people think to match Life on Hit, to be honest. Especially when you consider the actual returns on Life on Hit for most skills. For instance, my Barb with 5% Life Steal gets more than enough with 20-30k Damage.

Most Monk and Witch Doctor builds are exceptions; Monk merely because they get such great returns from their primaries that they use for the majority of their DPS and WDs because stacking DoT builds returns are stupid amazing.

Barb are the easiest class to use life steal with due to their passive and belts. Life steal being better is one thing (I don't have the full lowdown on each class but I don't think most Monks or DHs would bother), believing that there's still a population out there waiting to "transition" to life steal is another.

Transition to life steal for why exactly?

syllogism

If you're rich enough to afford the gear that makes it better than life on hit, that's the very few people who are still bothering to play to reach such lengths.
Obviously it's going to take time, but the context here is whether the value of a LoH item will remain the same over time. In softcore items enter the system but rarely exit, so eventually more and more players will reach the point where life steal is better than LoH. This is especially true as playerbase will get smaller and "richer". Right now life steal isn't worth it for the vast majority of players, obviously.

As a side note, life steal isn't better only because it gives better returns at high dps, but also because you only need to sacrifice one item prop for it, whereas you usually need more than one to make LoH viable. Also, you shouldn't focus on your paper doll dps when assessing whether 3% (pre-nerf) life steal would be enough to sustain, but realize that your actual dps with skills and AoE effects is much higher than that.

scy

Barb are the easiest class to use life steal with due to their passive and belts.

It helps, certainly, that they can get double the amount but Wizards can get +1.5% with a rune and DHs have it via skills as well. Both those classes scale tremendously well with Life Steal% instead of Life on Hit. Monks and WDs generally scale better with LS% as well but Monk primary spam being so good with Life on Hit outweighs their actual spirit spenders and WDs stacking DoTs are just really good LoH returns due to the Life on Hit stacking.

To be fair, I still don't get why it isn't 33% instead of 20%. I mean, at least then it's 1% Life Steal per slot and that makes more sense than .6% per slot.

Transition to life steal for why exactly?

Currently it's the cheaper affix and ultimately more efficient. Gearing a ton of Life on Hit means you need overpriced weapons and highly sought after Rings/Amulets. Life Steal% requires one slot (two for Barbs) and allows you to focus on DPS primarily for your other slots. It should be the sought after stat once you're out of starting Inferno.

Honestly, much of the difficulty in Inferno is people gearing incorrectly; purely defensive builds to outlast encounters isn't the right approach but that's what most people have been doing.

Totakeke

I also beat Inferno with 0 LoH and 0% Life Steal on both my DH and Monk. Making life steal better than LoH is a pursuit of the few, not the many. Most people will hardly care. Also consider that gearing correctly for life steal takes more coordination than slapping in a static LoH number.

syllogism

I also beat Inferno with 0 LoH and 0% Life Steal. Making life steal better than LoH is a pursuit of the few, not the many. Most people will hardly care a bit considering gearing correctly for life steal takes far more coordination than slapping in a static LoH number.
Again, the context here is a 150-200m amulet. People who stop playing obviously won't transition to anything.

scy

I also beat Inferno with 0 LoH and 0% Life Steal on both my DH and Monk. Making life steal better than LoH is a pursuit of the few, not the many. Most people will hardly care. Also consider that gearing correctly for life steal takes more coordination than slapping in a static LoH number.

Honestly, most the Life on Hit popularity is because people said it was good and people like to blindly follow advice. Many builds have pretty bad Life on Hit returns yet people still aim for 1000-2000 Life on Hit.

Life Steal% is merely getting a Life Steal weapon and to not gear for tanking everything at the expense of damage. I suppose it is a change in the meta but people not understanding the game isn't really a knock against Life Steal% itself.

I do agree with you, for the record, that most people won't care. But they should :x

I am confused..whats the difference between LoH and Life Steal?

Life on Hit - Gain Health for every enemy hit regardless of damage dealt. Scales down with skill used.
Life on Steal - Gain Health for every enemy hit based on the damage dealt. Does not scale down based on skill used but does scale with the difficulty (20% effective in Inferno).

I've got life steal on my wizard - works perfectly with Blizzard which has like 1-2% LoH efficiency. I'm usually regenerated over time than Diamond skin is up.

Also funny thing - there was zero premium over similar weapons without it :)

Danj

Any tips on flipping stuff in AH ? No huge flip,just something like an easy 50-100k.

I'd also be interested in this. I'm level 57 now but only just got to act 3 on Hell difficulty and unlike seemingly everyone else I don't have bucketloads of gold.

Price check on a 63 shield with:

10% block
1401 armor
10% crit chance
97 life per second
20% mf

I know the block is very low but I think the rest of the stats might be quite good. Can't find anything like it on the ah.

Totakeke

Again, the context here is a 150-200m amulet. People who stop playing obviously won't transition to anything.

Honestly, most the Life on Hit popularity is because people said it was good and people like to blindly follow advice. Many builds have pretty bad Life on Hit returns yet people still aim for 1000-2000 Life on Hit.

Life Steal% is merely getting a Life Steal weapon and to not gear for tanking everything at the expense of damage. I suppose it is a change in the meta but people not understanding the game isn't really a knock against Life Steal% itself.

I do agree with you, for the record, that most people won't care. But they should :x

Life on Hit - Gain Health for every enemy hit regardless of damage dealt. Scales down with skill used.
Life on Steal - Gain Health for every enemy hit based on the damage dealt. Does not scale down based on skill used but does scale with the difficulty (20% effective in Inferno).

Yeah, well I guess my point is people who care already know. People who don't right now probably won't either. There's nothing really to transition into because people who plan to build their trophy room builds (and has past finished Inferno, probably multiple times) will already know the difference and I don't think people who haven't beat Inferno at this point will shift the market into favouring life steal over LoH. Because the bar to beat Inferno is much lower than the academic discussion on whether LoH or life steal is better.

Do we really believe that the people buying >150mil gear now are hardcore long-term players considering the last big action Blizzard took was to nerf IAS by more than half? I'd think the smarter players would let Blizzard settle down on their core gameplay mechanics more first before putting their eggs in a single basket. There is a legendary buff incoming after all, that's another whole can of worms ready to be opened.

Price check on a 63 shield with:

10% block
1401 armor
10% crit chance
97 life per second
20% mf

I know the block is very low but I think the rest of the stats might be quite good. Can't find anything like it on the ah.
The only stat worth anything on that shield is the 20% mf. Search for 20% mf shields on AH and you have your price.

A shield with block that low will never get used as a main shield, no amount of stats could make up for that.

scy

There is a legendary buff incoming after all, that's another whole can of worms ready to be opened.

Honestly, this is why my farming isn't as driven recently. I just do it to take a break from whatever else I was doing instead.

Meh, I like getting some of both in terms of LOH and Lifesteal. Especially since Barbs can get LS on belts.

I like to think of Life on Hit as a nice bonus, not really a necessity anymore due to Life Steal%. Honestly, I'd rather have Life Regen simply because it's cheaper to buy.

TommyT

Decided to level up my barb to have him cakewalk through inferno, when I got to 48 things just became stupidly easy after buying two weapons with 12 level reduction and +200 str, +200 vit (one on each). New meta - find out how many mobs you can round up on Hell and one shot them all. Made levelling quite fun!

I still regret not quest exploiting at least one of every char to 60... but this took some of the sting out.

Congrats btw, you've learned how to do a price check for every item now... ever.

kennah

brutalhammer.jpg

Got this for it's minimum bid. Had a buyout of 100k. I know it wasn't worth that, but it is surely worth more than 2k. Gonna use it on my twinked up +200xp/kill leveling barb :)

zulux21

Any tips on flipping stuff in AH ? No huge flip,just something like an easy 50-100k.

Really need to farm gold :/

there are two ways I go about flipping stuff.

A. You place low ball bids on stuff and hope that you mange to snag something under market value. Issue with this is that it ties up your money until you get outbid so you need a decent amount of gold to be able to do this with any real degree of success.

B. You search for items by buyout price and look for items that are priced low. Most of the time these are items with 1D 11H as they get snagged quickly, so this requires some luck, but usually I get a few each night just when I go through the AH boredly.

Beyond this though, at least when it comes to weapons you should be able to get something pretty good for dirt cheap right away.The market is pretty terrible (as a seller) for weapons right now unless you have an amazing weapon to sell.

GJS

The sub 900 dps weapon LoH market is dying already anyway, not counting all the overpriced shit on there.

You can find good 700-800 dps weapons for monk sitting on the AH for days with 500+ LoH and 100+ Dex, with 2-3 million buy out for 700dps, to 5million for 800 dps and these are not maces and spears.

Everyone wants crit damage and sockets now.

inky

The only stat worth anything on that shield is the 20% mf. Search for 20% mf shields on AH and you have your price.

A shield with block that low will never get used as a main shield, no amount of stats could make up for that.

Crit chance is also good. (for someone who would want the MF and not care about block %)

Is it just my imagination, or have they increased the explosion range of frozen? I've fought a few groups with it this morning and I swear it's a way larger radius. Used to be able to sort of "thread the needle" and stay just out of range, now I pretty much have to move really far away to avoid it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
My Life on Hit/tick as a witch doctor is higher than my actual DPS. Drop acid cloud on 2-3 targets and I can go from almost dead to full HP in two ticks. Just a matter of time before they nerf this.

I think I'm more interested in HP Regen than I am in lifesteal if I'm faced with having to switch.

scy

My Life on Hit/tick as a witch doctor is higher than my actual DPS. Drop acid cloud on 2-3 targets and I can go from almost dead to full HP in two ticks. Just a matter of time before they nerf this.

I imagine they'll just reduce the Life on Hit scaling so at least the damage from it won't get demolished. Hopefully, anyway. Stacking area of effect DoTs is somehow kind of fun. It's like revenge for Desecrator pools.

RDreamer

Bah, I'm really bummed out. A weapon I put on the AH went for the absolute minimum bid. I think it was worth at least a bit more than that.... I was hoping there'd be at least a small bidding war at the end and I'd get more. Woke up today and it was just the minimum. Well, someone's probably really happy with that purchase.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I imagine they'll just reduce the Life on Hit scaling so at least the damage from it won't get demolished. Hopefully, anyway. Stacking area of effect DoTs is somehow kind of fun. It's like revenge for Desecrator pools.

The craziest part is ignoring the enrage DoT on elites. I only run into this in groups or if I somehow pull 3 packs of elites at once but LoH+Acid Cloud I can just sit there and tank the DoT while AC kills the elite.

I'd also be interested in this. I'm level 57 now but only just got to act 3 on Hell difficulty and unlike seemingly everyone else I don't have bucketloads of gold.

Gearing for Infernos is not as expensive as it sounds and if you need help we are here to help.

ThinFinn

Hey gaf, can i get a price check on this?

rC3S7.png

AH is currently down at the moment.

Last i checked, the closest i could find was one with a buyout of 70m.
That one was without any vit though.

Much appreciated.

Bog

Junior Ace

rC3S7.png

Much appreciated.

Why not crit damage the slot? 190 is nothing.

TommyT

Buy my Natalyas Mark, guys.

I'd be more than happy to as I need to upgrade mine... however if you're selling it at the stupid price they jumped to (and I'm sure have climbed since then) when they announced they weren't nerfing the 4-piece... then I'll pass.

I always shake my head when i see how much that item costs :)

Yeah, this economy is stupid. There literally was a 20m jump in price within a day when that announcement hit.

rC3S7.png

Much appreciated.

You just answered your own question.

Why not crit damage the slot? 190 is nothing.

So that it will come up with life on hit when people search.

I got my All Res up to 850 and went back to Ghom with 2.21 APS and 1100 LOH. I got him down to about 30% and then walked into an ill advised spot and got stuck in a fart cloud / rock / ghom.

Those little slime things he sends out are great. You can go in and take some hits. Walk away out of the cloud and hit those slimes for health / spirit. I think I can increase my resists to 900 or so for another mil (which I should have when I get home), and I think I should be able take him out.

GJS said:
The sub 900 dps weapon LoH market is dying already anyway, not counting all the overpriced shit on there.

You can find good 700-800 dps weapons for monk sitting on the AH for days with 500+ LoH and 100+ Dex, with 2-3 million buy out for 700dps, to 5million for 800 dps and these are not maces and spears.

Everyone wants crit damage and sockets now.

This is true. I bought an 11% IAS, Socketd, 430 LOH, 685 DPS, 25 LpSS for like 500-600K the other day.

In fact ... my gear isn't all that expensive. I've found 3-4 of the pieces I'm wearing and only spent in the 1-2 mil range on about 3 of the other pieces. Some of my pieces are worth more than what I spent, but you find deals if you take your time and don't settle.

I have not one iLVL 63 piece and my monk is doing fine in Act III.

winnarps

Need some input if anyone can help -

Barbarian (w/ Impunity shout)
67k HP
700-800 Resist All
9000 Armor
16k dps
450 LoH

Build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WQXPVk!ZVb!abaZcc

Curious if I can take this all the way to finish Inferno on my own? Right now I can solo Belial with no problems at all (laughably easy actually), but when I'm running through Act 3, certain elite packs make me run away with my tail between my legs (immune/shielding, desecrator).

Should I just be skipping packs? Are any bosses in A3/4 going to give me huge issues?

Artanisix

desecrator shouldn't scare you that bad, overpower/crushing advance is so good against it and plague.

and yes you should probably be able to complete inferno just fine.

inky

If you are having trouble with desecration pick superstition instead. I think it counts as non-physical damage. (Or just don't stand on it :p)

I finished the game with 20k less HP, 4k less DPS (a bit more resists and more LoH) but it wasn't that hard really. I only skipped one invul minions pack, because fuck that.

Cagey

Banned
Anyone else finding that "hidden" damage enhancers have some items severely undervalued?

For example, I found these two items on the AH.

NOgPy.png

- The quiver on the RMAH about a week ago for $5. That was roughly $2m gold at the time.
- The bow for 10m gold.

65 dexterity so the quiver gets auto-ignored. But it has a whopping 6% bonus damage to elites on top of the 8% crit chance. With my DPS, this 6% bonus is equivalent to an additional 4.5k DPS dealt to elite packs. Using the spreadsheets, it would take an equivalent of roughly 125-135 dexterity to get that bonus. Yes, that would apply to all creatures, but 1) then we're talking a quiver with 200 dexterity + all those mods, and those don't exist outside of magical christmasland, and 2) you shouldn't need damage against white mobs anyway.

Likewise, with the bow, the 1004 DPS number turns people off. But the bow has 282 dex, using the spreadsheet again, as the equivalent of a 1180-1190 DPS bow.

Of course, maybe my numbers are all messed up, but then I blame that on the DH DPS Calculator spreadsheet.

EDIT: I left off the "increases damage" on jewelry because, while hidden, they're not easily searched. But they sure are hidden and discounted for in pricing items from people, compared to the raw dex/int/str stat.

GJS

You keep quoting your APS numbers but it doesn't mean anything. If you're not dying in the first few rounds of attacks then your defence is fine. Just increase your dps by getting better gear, changing your skills, or maximizing your offence periods.

Increasing the proc rate of LoH with high APS, and increasing mitigation to further reduce the damage of the gas, thus increasing the period spent in the clouds dealing damage. Perfectly viable to do that.

Increasing the proc rate of LoH with high APS, and increasing mitigation to further reduce the damage of the gas, thus increasing the period spent in the clouds dealing damage. Perfectly viable to do that.

This is what I was thinking as well. I'm trying to maintain at least 2-2.2 APS. My DPS is 20.7K unbuffed so not too shabby for a monk.

Totakeke

So what does his 2.21 APS mean to you? It doesn't really mean anything without proper context and even if he tells you all his skills and other gear, are you going to calculate if he has enough APS given all the possible variables?

Since he's staying alive it means that his defence is good enough.

I really don't get the point of asking. If AH is down, then it's unlikely anybody here will give you a very accurate amount on the price and if the AH is down, why even bother anyhow as you can't list it.

Having said all that, it looks to be a REALLY nice piece of equipment and when you do sell it, you'll be rich!

Cipherr

Barbarian (w/ Impunity shout)
67k HP
700-800 Resist All
9000 Armor
16k dps
450 LoH

Build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WQXPVk!ZVb!abaZcc

Curious if I can take this all the way to finish Inferno on my own? Right now I can solo Belial with no problems at all (laughably easy actually), but when I'm running through Act 3, certain elite packs make me run away with my tail between my legs (immune/shielding, desecrator).

Should I just be skipping packs? Are any bosses in A3/4 going to give me huge issues?

I have about 2x the LOH you have, 5k more dps, the same armor, about 100 more Resist All, but 16k less HP (dude thats an amazing HP pool, the Revenge heals must be out of this world at 8% per person hit, wow) and I cleared Act 3 and Act 4 without much trouble. You can definitely go take an hour or two and carve through Act 3 and 4 real quick. A4 felt surprisingly less difficult in terms of the champ packs to Act 3. Its a shame A4 doesnt have more champs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom