• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Blizzard subscribes to a whole different mindset. Barbie were imba back then..... So Blizzard went ahead and nerfed other classes!
Late D2, Sorc had the most paths open to a class since Static was GOAT, CL, Sparks, FW or Meteor combined with FO were all viable. Flame and Blizzard to a lesser extent. Paladins could go as a Charger, Zealot or Conviction with Hammers being nerfed around like 1.03. Zons could do Hybrid or MS after Strafe was nerfed. Barbs had Frenzy and WW, throwing barbs were...interesting. Assassins were super gear dependent and the CE trap was necessary. Necro had to go CE to survive in Hell with how fragile minions became. Druid stank except for PVP - had a frustration WW build myself. Good party char with HOO, though.

KuroNeeko

Game balance is a delicate process and almost impossible to get right.

Whatever the method, the classes need to be balanced because

1) outside of a few masochistic players like myself, no one likes playing the "weaker" classes

2) while the game isn't competitive now, it will be when ladders go Live. In the game's current state, you'd probably be looking at ladders full of wizards. Some will be there because the enjoy the class (like I did in Vanilla) and the rest will choose the class because they want to remain competitive (regardless of whether they enjoy it or not.)

You can raise the other classes up or bring the dominant classes down. Personally, it makes little difference to me. I'm more interested in making sure that each class is unique, has interesting abilities, and is fun to play. From a mechanics perspective, I see little appeal in playing a Demon Hunter as opposed to a Wizard / Witch Doctor. For melee, I feel like Monk is the most interesting of the three classes.

Right now, I've been playing my monk and slowly bringing up my crusader. I just unlocked Seven-Sided Strike - wow does that skill feel good. I really enjoy the mobility and power of the class. That said, where my petless witch doctor didn't come close to dying until Act II (Waller, Arcane Enchanted), my Monk regularly dips beneath the 50% mark even in Act I. I've started equipping both Blinding Flash and Breath of Heaven to help combat this. Should be interesting to see how long she'll live in Hardcore.

On a side note, I've really been enjoying the dialogue for the Crusader and the Scoundrel. It probably would have been really easy to make the Crusader your typical righteous paladin type, but she's been surprisingly down-to-earth and funny. The scoundrel has some great lines though and his company has been refreshing after sticking with the Enchantress for so long.

I think right now I enjoy the Monk and the Crusader the most. I really want to like the Demon Hunter, but her skills feel too lackluster. I don't need her to be all flash, in fact I like characters who aren't gifted with some extraordinary power, rather they tackle each situation with wit, speed, and tenacity. Vaulting is a lot of fun. Her generators and spenders are just not that interesting. :/

Witch Doctor on the other hand has a lot of great skills. I just can't play her the way I want to until she gets higher leveled. Also, I'm not a fan of her dialogue. I like Witch Doctors and all, but I don't feel like they really nailed her script. Maybe I need to play a male Witch Doctor instead.

Just my thoughts.

Dahbomb

I don't know if the Ladder argument holds when just like D2 they will probably have class specific Ladders. So you can still be the best Witch Doctor or whatever class you play.

KuroNeeko

I don't know if the Ladder argument holds when just like D2 they will probably have class specific Ladders. So you can still be the best Witch Doctor or whatever class you play.

Ah, is that how they did it? It's been so long since D2 and I never really got into that aspect of it.

I thought they were all grouped together. Didn't hardcore ladders rank all of the classes in one big ladder according to level / experience?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Played all night and didn't get one upgrade, and it isn't as if there's none to get - I was at 285K DPS, is all. Then on literally the final drop of the night, a weapon with a socket dropped. Crit dmg gem boosted my DPS up to 301K.

So... woot. Finally getting closer to solo Torment runs being within reach.

It's a weird gear hump at this stage, though. All my items, every slot, is pretty decently strong at the moment. Good Int boosts, crit chance, crit dmg, etc. It just isn't quite enough to wade into Torment. So I'm stuck in Expert/Master getting LEgendaries that generally don't even improve on the Rares I have equipped.

It's a little frustrating but I know I'll get there. I'm one monster drop away from getting there, in fact.

Radec

Yeah this worked well for D2 but I don't see how this format would work in D3.

Why not ?

They can do global rankings for all classes.
They can also do class specific ladders.

There's no AH now to affect its economy.

They can put a race to paragon 500 or something for the contest.

So... woot. Finally getting closer to solo Torment runs being within reach.

I would try T1 out and see how you do now. You can always join a 4 player game and run T1 that way aswell.

Sometimes you can bring group utility instead of just pure dps. On my Barb I always run War Cry-Impunity, Sprint-Forced March, and Threatening Shout. Every group I run with loves this utility.

Dahbomb

Ah, is that how they did it? It's been so long since D2 and I never really got into that aspect of it.

I thought they were all grouped together. Didn't hardcore ladders rank all of the classes in one big ladder according to level / experience?
This is how I remember it.

There were two 4 Ladders. Two for Vanilla D2 and two for D2:LoD.

Two for each were Softcore and Hardcore. There was a giant main Ladder for each where all classes were included.

Then there were class specific Ladders/Rankings where you basically just checked where you were in your character rank. So say you are ranked 200 in the main Ladder but that's because all those are Wizards. You could be like top 10 in your own class and honestly that was more "balanced".

Here's what the rankings looked like:

june21status.png

Also these were divided up by region as well.

Yeah this worked well for D2 but I don't see how this format would work in D3.
Why wouldn't it work for D3?

Paragon experience is infinite so Ladder winner is decided by who gets the most EXP. They can even incorporate Ladder specific mechanic like you lose 15% of the experience of your current Paragon level if you die or other skill based stuff.

foladar

Yep, that would work. There's a bunch of stuff I need, end goal is just 3 pieces of Tal Rasha (ring gives full set bonuses with 1 less piece).

That was my goal too, managed to get Tal's amulet last night .. imagine my surprise when it rolled 10 crit, 100 crit dmg, and 743 int. Rocks faces.
s2HTPxr.png

Yesterday I decided to put my Crusader in storage for the time being. I switched to my fembarb instead and I wonder why I ever left her - so much more fun to play.

I even changed my avatar to celebrate the occasion.
Yep me too. Once I hit 70 on my Crusader I got tired of it. Went back to my Barb and haven't looked back.

So I saved up my items and bounty bags over 2 days. Did a lot of T6, Core runs, this time with my DH with whom it really goes just so quickly.

Just un-id all of this:
ENyTK5q.png

Pretty much every single item of them is rolled badly and/or not a great base item to begin with.

One of the quivers is decent, that is all. In theory I could upgrade 2 of the rings into tri-fectas but they'd only have like 4.5% critC, a low dex roll and no good lengedary effect anyways. So instead of wasting any resources my 2 rares won't be any worse.

Yesterday I've seen a reddit post where someone got 16 legs and had Cinder Coat and 4 DH set items under them :|

Then I look at these 37 items I've gotten and they're garbage. Not a single Torment Set Item. Not a single one rolled exceptionally well; rather the opposite looking at very disappointing andariel rolls for example.

I've played a lot every single day since release and only on release day while lvling my wiz to 70 in the campaign I got 2 set items. Since then I've neither one of those nor any other cool build changing one.

If I know s.th. it's that RNG ain't my friend.

Now while I do like the gameplay of D3 I simply cannot put up with the same builds anymore. But I simply haven't found ANYTHING that allows me to go for something different without it sucking hard. No good cold/fire/lightning enhancing legs. No set effects. No singular cool item affixes. Heck, I haven't even found any reall highly rolled singular gear that would make me very strong in general.

Can't really blame the game if my luck is just that bad but yeah, I think I'm done. Sorry for the whining but gotta let that frustration out somewhere :>

ZenaxPure

Every other class would feel a lot better if their resource generators filled the globe in three seconds.

This is across the board my problem with classes that aren't wizard right now. Unless you get specific gear or use runes on skills that increase your generation you spend about double the time building your resource as you do spending it. It makes the flow of combat feel really weird since your time using your free attack is often the most boring part of combat. Combat with a wizard just flows so much better at every gear level right now since you can spend more even amounts of time dumping and filling.

Resource generation should just be increased across the board for most classes, you shouldn't have to use non-primary attacks like provoke, war cry, shield glare, etc. to generate your resource because it's more efficient than the attack actually made for doing that job. Seriously, I finally got perma-ancients this morning on my barbarian and it's kind of sad how I went from slow fury generation to having crazy amounts of fury in packs of mobs (it's not into the fray level broken, but, it's still broken). I don't really even like the skill that much but they are an amazing fury battery.

V_Arnold

NaDannMaGoGo:
Uhm...a little perspective here: I did not abuse any system, played more than 2 days, and I have found less than 15 legendaries since the beginning of RoS. So see you around, I guess.

Nymerio

Leveling in Adventure Mode is so fast oO Got my DH from 60 to 70 last evening. Now I just need to find me a Kridershot :|

Question: Did they nerf the Attack Speed on quivers? I have a Dead Man's Legacy with 20% attack speed from level 60 and I still haven't found a quiver that improves my sheet dps nor can I craft one. Every quiver I get caps out at 15% :/

Svafnir

Leveling in Adventure Mode is so fast oO Got my DH from 60 to 70 last evening. Now I just need to find me a Kridershot :|

Question: Did they nerf the Attack Speed on quivers? I have a Dead Man's Legacy with 20% attack speed from level 60 and I still haven't found a quiver that improves my sheet dps nor can I craft one. Every quiver I get caps out at 15% :/

Attack speed in general was nerfed along with crit chance. Eventually you will something, but yeah.

ElyrionX

Why not ?

They can do global rankings for all classes.
They can also do class specific ladders.

There's no AH now to affect its economy.

They can put a race to paragon 500 or something for the contest.

It worked for Diablo 2 due to two main factors:

1. People routinely lose their accounts due to inactivity and these people liked the notion of an even playing field for everyone when a new ladder starts.

2. The permanence of skill selection meant people have a reason to start all over again on new characters.

I just don't see how ladder would work in D3 especially if it's going to split the playerbase. Many people have invested hundreds of hours in their accounts. Why would they start from scratch?

And the idea of climbing a ladder in a coop game sounds lame as hell anyway.

Arkanius

1. People routinely lose their accounts due to inactivity and these people liked the notion of an even playing field for everyone when a new ladder starts.

2. The permanence of skill selection meant people have a reason to start all over again on new characters.

I just don't see how ladder would work in D3 especially if it's going to split the playerbase. Many people have invested hundreds of hours in their accounts. Why would they start from scratch?

Because people love to start a new?

Robin64

My class of choice since day one of Diablo III has been wizard. Not a fan of the fact that now I still play it, there's a perception that it's because it's the most powerful in the game. I'll happily take a little nerf (or buff to all others) to remedy that.

Moff

My class of choice since day one of Diablo III has been wizard. Not a fan of the fact that now I still play it, there's a perception that it's because it's the most powerful in the game. I'll happily take a little nerf (or buff to all others) to remedy that.

I have only played a few months at launch, then came back with 2.0
and I was confused how strong the wizward was, especially how tough he was.

at launch, 3 of my skills had to be defensive cooldowns. diamond skin, energy shield and teleport.
with 2.0, they all became obsolete, I only use teleport of those now, and only for convenience. I really wonder thy they changed that, I was fine with the wizard being a glass canon.

at launch, 3 of my skills had to be defensive cooldowns. diamond skin, energy shield and teleport.
with 2.0, they all became obsolete, I only use teleport of those now, and only for convenience. I really wonder thy they changed that, I was fine with the wizard being a glass canon.

That's how meta in D3 has changed. I couldn't imagine my barb without Iron Skin or Leap with armor at D3 launch.
Now all of the defensive skill for all classes are practically useless.

V_Arnold

Path of Exile destroys this assumption, league after league. Many people love fresh starts.

Nymerio

Yeah, I don't see it either. I'd prefer if they did something with the characters we already have. What I mean is: A new ladder is introduced: Gray items only, no paragon levels, endless rift, who gets the farthest. You select the ladder from the lobby where you currently select between adventure mode and story mode.

I understand ladders in the context of D2 because of the permanence of skill and stat allocation but I don't like the idea of creating new characters for ladders in D3.

They could do some neat things with class specific ladders, like a ladder race where everyone has to use the same skill build. Could be fun if they come up with some weird build that you wouldn't use normally.

Path of Exile destroys this assumption, league after league. Many people love fresh starts.

But isn't PoE a bit more variable in terms of leveling? What I mean is when you level in Diablo you always progress through the levels the same way. You get skill X with level Y and so on. In PoE you're not guaranteed that. You could find gem X within an hour of starting or you find a different gem, so leveling is more random while in Diablo it's always the same progression.

Javaman

It seems like every page there's someone else complaining about their poor luck in getting drops. What's the rush? Try and enjoy the game as it is. If you don't feel like you're getting any good drops try leveling up a new character. You're guaranteed to get good upgrades then. Or give hc a try. There's no sense in playing a game to the level of frustration especially if it's just a loop to do even more farming.

On a brighter note, I had the most hilarious death the other day (non HC thankfully!) It was a horde or mirror image group with molten and vortex. I killed 5 or 6 of them at the same time and while running away got vortexed by some lucky survivor right into the middle of the nuclear blast.

KuroNeeko

Yeah, I was the same.

I had almost the exact same skills on my hotbar. <.<;;

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I rolled a Wizard last night level 42 and I am having alot more fun now than I had with my crusader! I did leave my crusader in a good place incase I ever want to pick him up again though. (Can solo T1)

whenever I use gifcam the size of the gif is huge! Any tips for making smaller gifs?

at launch, 3 of my skills had to be defensive
cooldowns. diamond skin, energy shield and teleport.

Game got nerfed shortly after release. As a barb I had to run all defensive passives and wear a shield just to survive in act 1 inferno. I never got past act 2 until the nerf. I could barely even leave town because bees would kill any class nearly instantly.

Rare quivers can't go past 15% as always. It's the legendary ones that can hit 20%

Gothos

But isn't PoE a bit more variable in terms of leveling? What I mean is when you level in Diablo you always progress through the levels the same way. You get skill X with level Y and so on. In PoE you're not guaranteed that. You could find gem X within an hour of starting or you find a different gem, so leveling is more random while in Diablo it's always the same progression.

Yup, that's exactly why ladder is Diablo III simply won't work in a longer term.

Kssio_Aug

So I saved up my items and bounty bags over 2 days. Did a lot of T6, Core runs, this time with my DH with whom it really goes just so quickly.

Just un-id all of this:
http://i.imgur.com/ENyTK5q.png

Pretty much every single item of them is rolled badly and/or not a great base item to begin with.

One of the quivers is decent, that is all. In theory I could upgrade 2 of the rings into tri-fectas but they'd only have like 4.5% critC, a low dex roll and no good lengedary effect anyways. So instead of wasting any resources my 2 rares won't be any worse.

Yesterday I've seen a reddit post where someone got 16 legs and had Cinder Coat and 4 DH set items under them :|

Then I look at these 37 items I've gotten and they're garbage. Not a single Torment Set Item. Not a single one rolled exceptionally well; rather the opposite looking at very disappointing andariel rolls for example.

I've played a lot every single day since release and only on release day while lvling my wiz to 70 in the campaign I got 2 set items. Since then I've neither one of those nor any other cool build changing one.

If I know s.th. it's that RNG ain't my friend.

Now while I do like the gameplay of D3 I simply cannot put up with the same builds anymore. But I simply haven't found ANYTHING that allows me to go for something different without it sucking hard. No good cold/fire/lightning enhancing legs. No set effects. No singular cool item affixes. Heck, I haven't even found any reall highly rolled singular gear that would make me very strong in general.

Can't really blame the game if my luck is just that bad but yeah, I think I'm done. Sorry for the whining but gotta let that frustration out somewhere :>

Thats why I cant stand doing these runs. Yesterday I did 3 chests runs, probably less then 10min, and It felt incredibly boring! I really could not imagine myself doing it for a hour or even more, to MAYBE, get something decent. So I stopped immediatly and started to level up my WD without think twice!
Thats what breaks the experience and causes that frustration... people shouldnt do it. If RNG is ballanced right, you will get nice gear in time, playing normally and having fun; if its not they will ballance it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom