• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celegus

If all you changed about DHs was that Sentries had their own life bars and could be targetted then they would be in line with other classes.

That might not be a bad change honestly. It would force you to think more about safe placement of sentries, instead of just plopping them wherever.

Dahbomb

Whens the earliest the class ranking will change?
Why does it matter? Every class is good, capable of farming T6 efficiently, clearing GR30 easily and clearing 35 GR. It's the 36 - 40 GR that is where the balancing lies and aside from Monks (a couple of GRs too low) and DHs (a couple of GRs too high) it's fairly even among the classes.

Class ranking is slightly changed all the time. There will be one patch coming before PTR so I am assuming class rank will slightly shift around next week or in two weeks. I don't see DHs not being at the top any time soon due to the nature of their M6 set but everyone is fully capable of dishing out damage and sustaining themselves.

Why does it matter? Every class is good, capable of farming T6 efficiently, clearing GR30 easily and clearing 35 GR. It's the 36 - 40 GR that is where the balancing lies and aside from Monks (a couple of GRs too low) and DHs (a couple of GRs too high) it's fairly even among the classes.

Class ranking is slightly changed all the time. There will be one patch coming before PTR so I am assuming class rank will slightly shift around next week or in two weeks. I don't see DHs not being at the top any time soon due to the nature of their M6 set but everyone is fully capable of dishing out damage and sustaining themselves.

Thats the answer I was looking for. You are very learned.

Shifty76

Yeah, give our Raiment set a decent buff (no way should it be that much weaker than our 4pc) and maybe tweak spenders a bit more and I think we'll be pretty close.

I do also wish they'd add another piece to that Sunwuko set, as needing 3/4 pieces (with RoRG) still means you need the helm or amulet slot, both of which are really important slots for monk. Other 4pc sets that have an amulet as one of the set pieces (BT, Tal Rasha) have 5 pieces, so it seems really odd that SWK only has the 4.

If all you changed about DHs was that Sentries had their own life bars and could be targetted then they would be in line with other classes.

Agree. That said, I don't like that the game devalues individual skill so much. I think I would have preferred this game to evolve such that certain set bonuses emphasized high skill play to enjoy the most success. To me, allowing focus to be put on untargetable-invulnerable sentries while the actual character just kites around the enemy is an embarrassment to the game's design.

I remember back in vanilla when I used to rely heavily on the Hydra skill on Wizards (the Wiz version of Sentries). It felt relatively cheap and it wasn't the way I felt like the game should be played so I moved onto builds that made me feel like I was working for and earning my progress. I settled on Spectral Dagger + Arcane Torrent for my Wizard, but I never came back to relying on the Hydras. This DH set + 5 Sentrys would be like having 5 Hydras shooting Disintegrate and Magic Missile or some shit. It just...idunno. I'm still going to get my RoRG so I can see how it feels for myself now that I have 5 pieces of the set, but I don't know if I'm going to keep it equipped for very long. I like working for my food too much...though I'm sure I'll enjoy it as an occasional change of pace. :D

Stevey

Finished my Akkhan Set tonight (with RoRG), also got a pretty sweeth Zweihander which I have replaced my Furnace with.

Just need some more Rubies now.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SteveyBoy-2192/hero/39726954

Current unbuffed stats

btS8Smq.png

MrDaravon

I think that a potential problem in making sentries targetable is that it would maybe make them even better. With sufficient cooldown a DH can easily drop a sentry every 4 seconds or so. Unless they had super super low health (which would make them useless) enemies focusing on them instead of you would actually be way more beneficial for a DH (you don't die, Steady Aim damage buff, etc) and it would also easily focus enemies into packs for CA damage.

Dahbomb

I remember back in vanilla when I used to rely heavily on the Hydra skill on Wizards (the Wiz version of Sentries). It felt relatively cheap and it wasn't the way I felt like the game should be played so I moved onto builds that made me feel like I was working for and earning my progress. I settled on Spectral Dagger + Arcane Torrent for my Wizard, but I never came back to relying on the Hydras. This DH set + 5 Sentrys would be like having 5 Hydras shooting Disintegrate and Magic Missile or some shit. It just...idunno. I'm still going to get my RoRG so I can see how it feels for myself now that I have 5 pieces of the set, but I don't know if I'm going to keep it equipped for very long. I like working for my food too much...though I'm sure I'll enjoy it as an occasional change of pace. :D
Oh boy you are going to be pretty disappointed when you learn what people are running with Wizards these days.....

ZenaxPure

I think that a potential problem in making sentries targetable is that it would maybe make them even better. With sufficient cooldown a DH can easily drop a sentry every 4 seconds or so. Unless they had super super low health (which would make them useless) enemies focusing on them instead of you would actually be way more beneficial for a DH (you don't die, Steady Aim damage buff, etc) and it would also easily focus enemies into packs for CA damage.

Yeah I was actually thinking the same thing. That said it would make marauder more interesting to play since you would also be using the sentries as a way to round up the enemies in one spot.

Sounds like a lot of fun actually...

Oh boy you are going to be pretty disappointed when you learn what people are running with Wizards these days.....

SAY IT AIN'T SO. NOT HYDRAS.

Really, it wouldn't surprise me considering the direction they went with end-game DH and this Sentry build. I'll just skip those builds. I find them very unrewarding and good for little more than a change of pace.

Pacman2k

I guess I feel like kind of a dick now.

I mean I have certainly run my fair share of bounties, but I have 4 royal rings to show for it, one of which is DEX+trifecta which my marauder DH is using.

I have 2 DEX, 2 INT. Going for my first couple STR ones now.

Can never have too many royal rings I say.

Shifty76

Finished my Akkhan Set tonight (with RoRG), also got a pretty sweeth Zweihander which I have replaced my Furnace with.

Just need some more Rubies now.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SteveyBoy-2192/hero/39726954

Current unbuffed stats

btS8Smq.png

Why would you replace a Furnace??? Unless it was terrible and had no mainstat/socket I guess.

That bonus dmg to elites doesn't show up on sheet dps, but it's actual effect is HUGE.

I tried replacing my ~2500 dps furnace with a 2800 dps daibo on my monk, and though my sheet dps jumped 200k, my dmg vs elites dropped by 100m per attack

ZenaxPure

This is what high level Wizard play looks like now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B55tHYl5hX8

Firebird set + MM/Conflag + Flame Hyrda + Flame Twister + Mirror Images and of course Black Hole.

To be fair at least it's a lot more active than just tossing down hydras and letting them do all the work. Controlling enemies with blackhole is pretty important to making the hydras not suck and your own attacks are still important.

I actually have a lot of fun with hydras on my wizard. Hydra + blackhole is awesome every time I combine the two. Just wish I could get a damn serpent sparker...

Stevey

Why would you replace a Furnace??? Unless it was terrible and had no mainstat/socket I guess.

That bonus dmg to elites doesn't show up on sheet dps, but it's actual effect is HUGE.

I tried replacing my ~2500 dps furnace with a 2800 dps daibo on my monk, and though my sheet dps jumped 200k, my dmg vs elites dropped by 100m per attack

It doesnt have bonus damage to elites.

iJ3UrRc.png

Shifty76

It doesnt have bonus damage to elites.

iJ3UrRc.png

Ah, you're on live. Been so long since I played live that I forget people still play on there :)

That's even MORE reason to keep the furnace! That crushing blow is huge (it was so strong that they nerfed it on PTR)

This is what high level Wizard play looks like now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B55tHYl5hX8

Firebird set + MM/Conflag + Flame Hyrda + Flame Twister + Mirror Images and of course Black Hole.

Looks a bit more involved than Sentry DH, where auto-attacking (or doing anything else but dodging direct conflict) can be outright avoided so I'm okay with this. Also, pretty colorz.

Will that Firebird set be retroactively upgraded or is this for new drops in 2.1?

Looks a bit more involved than Sentry DH, where auto-attacking (or doing anything else but dodging direct conflict) can be outright avoided so I'm okay with this. Also, pretty colorz.

Will that Firebird set be retroactively upgraded or is this for new drops in 2.1?

Retro and it's why I geared a Wiz up for 2.1.

Enjoying it immensely vs WD. Only thing missing is a serpent sparkler.

FaintDeftone

Quick question for you D3 junkies.

I bought Diablo III when it first released on PC. Stood in line at midnight and everything. Put over 60 hours into a demon hunter and got stuck on the hardest difficulty on the first act. Eventually the two friends I always played with lost interest and I stopped playing.

So many changes have been made to the game now and I haven't touched the expansion. Yet, since my D3 buddies don't care to play the game anymore, I feel kinda stuck. I want to get back into it and grab the expansion while its on sale at GS, but I'll be rocking it solo.

I hopped back into Diablo 3 today and notice that I can't find any public games to play at all. I assumed everyone has migrated to the expansion. If I pick the expansion up, will there be plenty of public games to play? Is playing public crappy? Bad community? Let me know before I blow the cash on this expansion.

Thanks!

MrDaravon

I still think it's hilarious I found a Serpent Sparker (which I still haven't used yet) on my DH. Rolls were kinda meh. Was going to check it out but I don't have a Mirrorball or any other endgame stuff on the Wiz so just never got around to it.

ZenaxPure

I still think it's hilarious I found a Serpent Sparker (which I still haven't used yet) on my DH. Rolls were kinda meh. Was going to check it out but I don't have a Mirrorball or any other endgame stuff on the Wiz so just never got around to it.

The Mask of Jeram I'm currently using on my WD I found on my barbarian. Felt sooooooooo good given the rolls.

q5gqDFY.png

Dahbomb

I hopped back into Diablo 3 today and notice that I can't find any public games to play at all. I assumed everyone has migrated to the expansion. If I pick the expansion up, will there be plenty of public games to play? Is playing public crappy? Bad community? Let me know before I blow the cash on this expansion.
I would wait a couple of weeks before picking up the expansion because 2.1 is coming up. Right now there are plenty of people playing online and you easily get games to play with randoms. Playing online with randoms is fine but playing online with known people is just way better. Most random people are fine but you will always run into the occasional asshat. I mostly just play with GAF members or people on my friends list.

And yea the normal D3 should be pretty dead now... most people interested in D3 are playing the expansion now.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
One thing I don't get about hydras: Blizzard always made it sound like they were a fan favourite in Diablo 2, but was that really the case? From my limited playtime in D2 I found them weak, boring and just plain unfun.

Xanathus

DH because it and Barb are the only classes that aren't optimally geared for me on Live servers. Oh I guess monk also isn't but fuck playing monks.

ZenaxPure

Gaf, what's your first seasonal character you are doing? Think I might do a crusader or dh...not sure

I'm going with barbarian (surprise surprise)! I love the Raekor play style but was bummed out when it capped out at Torment 5 (just couldn't get single target damage up). With the various changes it will actually be great now. My current plan is to focus on lightning and go 4 piece Raekor (with rrog) + vile ward to cover AOE, and frenzy + depth diggers + simplicity strength + wreath of lightning + gogok + 2 lightning proc weapons (thinking ideally SoH and Odyn) to cover single target.

The build probably isn't capable of reaching the highest tiers of Greater Rifts due to that single target damage eventually capping out, but it will absolutely trash Torment 6 and still do pretty good in GRs and in my head it seems like a lot of fun.

Only thing that could probably steer me away from that build right now is if blizz did a last minute change to make the barbarian season legendary not suck balls as I like the idea of constantly summoning giant ancient men to do my bidding. A barbarian version of pet doctor sounds amusing/fun.

Dahbomb

I am playing Monk in Seasons.

My build is going to be a cookie cutter Combination strike Lightning build. FoT/DR Keen Eye as Generators with Scorpion Sting (just for stun) and SW Cyclone. Gear I will try to get new Knockback immunity Bracers, new Monk Legendary, Depth Diggers, TGV, Aughilds, 2 piece Lightning set, Andy/EoS and SoJ/Unity for solo otherwise Unity replaced with another Ring. Gems I will be using Swiftness, Wreath and Simplicity.

The goal of this buid is the following:

*A non RROG build because fuck having to search RROG again.

*A non Dashing Strike Lightning build because fuck that 6 piece set.

*See how well I can perform with just a Generator build. I expect to cap at GR 30.

ZenaxPure

*See how well I can perform with just a Generator build. I expect to cap at GR 30.

Watched a video of a dude using the new shenlong fists and it actually looked pretty fun. I imagine there is some flexibility with what you use but he was rolling with combination strike that used wothf blazing fists for fire damage + increased attack speed (funny how well that synergizes with the new shenlong) and crippling wave mangle. Seeing him pull guys in with cyclone and then alternate his 2 generators while shenlong fireballs were flying everywhere actually looked like a lot of fun.

Obviously not going to reach the top of greater rifts but in his video he was doing a T6 rift and despite bad density and (iirc) 4 floors he cleared it pretty fast.

Watched a video of a dude using the new shenlong fists and it actually looked pretty fun. I imagine there is some flexibility with what you use but he was rolling with combination strike that used wothf blazing fists for fire damage + increased attack speed (funny how well that synergizes with the new shenlong) and crippling wave mangle. Seeing him pull guys in with cyclone and then alternate his 2 generators while shenlong fireballs were flying everywhere actually looked like a lot of fun.

Obviously not going to reach the top of greater rifts but in his video he was doing a T6 rift and despite bad density and (iirc) 4 floors he cleared it pretty fast.

Can you link to that video? I have Shenglongs and fire gear (Cindercoat, Magefists, GNK) so I need to think about some build than doesn't rely on the Monk sets

ZenaxPure

Can you link to that video? I have Shenglongs and fire gear (Cindercoat, Magefists, GNK) so I need to think about some build than doesn't rely on the Monk sets

Here, saw it on diablofans.

The rift itself starts around 3 minutes in. Thought it was pretty interesting, like I said, obviously not going to be the best build ever, but it's cool that it can still do T6 at a reasonable pace.

edit: mis-typed the minutes!

Dahbomb

That was my second option too. And yeah I saw that video too, it wasn't too bad.

I just hate SW Fire as a skill. I think it's complete shit and a wasted slot but unfortunately you need additional damage to make it work. If I were to use that Shenlong build I would use Deadly Reach Keen Eye instead of Crippling Wave.

I guess I will think between these two depending on the gear I get (Fire or Lightning).

Also I might skip Monk entirely and go Wizard.

I have Shenglongs and fire gear (Cindercoat, Magefists, GNK) so I need to think about some build than doesn't rely on the Monk sets
Yeah the build with Shenlongs is pretty straight forward.

I would use the following:

WotF Blazing Fists
Deadly Reach Keen Eye (it's the one that gives you 30% damage after hitting the 3rd strike so you do 2 hits with Blazing Fists, then 3rd hit you do a hit with Deadly Reach to keep up Combination Strike and the damage buff)
LTK Vulture Claw Kick (something to dump spirit on, you are going to have a decent amount of fire damage anyway to buff the Shenlong proc)
Mantra of Salvation/Conviction (depending on if you need toughness or damage)
Serenity (pretty much a must for this build as you will be tanking a lot of stuff. Until you get Ice Climber and Krelms Bracers you need this so you can keep attacking to sustain yourself)
Cyclone Strike/Exploding Palm/Inner Santuary/Epiphany/Sweeping Wing/Blinding Flash/SSS/Mystic Ally : A variety of options are available for the final skill. I don't have a preference among these. I would only use Mystic Ally if you are planning on use Crudest Boots for the double Fire Ally.

Passives:

STI, Alacrity/Transcendence, 6th Sense, Combination Strike

Mystic Rhythm would also be viable in this build. If you were stacking some similar resistances then you might get a ton of toughness from Harmony.

Gems:

Gogoth of Swiftness - Essential
Simplicity's Strength - Depends on how much you plan to attack versus spending time using LTKs. I would still have this though.
Bane of the Powerful - Since this isn't a Lightning build and there is no Fire proc equivalent among the gems, this is the next best thing and it's damn good overall gem. Extremely versatile.

Gear:

Helm: GNK which you have, otherwise Andariels works well for the Generator only build
Weapons: Shenlongs
Amulet: Any top amulet will do
Boots: Ice Climbers are going to be essential for this build, if you can't find it then use Crudest Boots in 2.1 with the Fire Ally
Bracers: Krelms Bracers when you get them in Seasons otherwise use Strongarm Bracers to combine with Cyclone Strike and Deadly Reach
Pants: Depth Diggers (essential)
Rings: SOJ/Unity. Some Rings are getting buffed in 2.1 so I would try to broaden my horizons past RROG.
Shoulder: Honestly any Shoulder would work here
Chest: Cindercoat
Glove: Magefist
Belt: String of Ears or Witching Hour depending on if you need toughness or damage

Stats: You want Life on Hit stats and Attack speed plus the usual double crit stats. LoH is very essential to this build to keep you alive on higher difficulties and it's actually pretty good now. Avoid cooldown/RCR. Skills you want LTK on Helm/Boots, WohF on Belt/Pants if possible. Fire damage on SOJ, Amulet, Bracers of course. Everything else is standard stuff.

If you want a build that completely revolves around LTK then you need a different build where you get Maximum or Devastator + Sunkeeper/Sankis with a bunch of CDR stats instead of attack speed so you can have near perma Epiphany to just spam LTKs all day.

ZenaxPure

I was actually kind of curious about using the Fire Ally in the build. Fire one just gives native 10% increased damage to you and since you stack fire anyway it could probably do decent damage (if you had the item that gave you 2 of them). Not sure if it would be better than any specific skill, but I was curious.

Did anyone ever confirm if that item gave you double the passive effects? I missed that conclusion.

Dahbomb

I was actually kind of curious about using the Fire Ally in the build. Fire one just gives native 10% increased damage to you and since you stack fire anyway it could probably do decent damage (if you had the item that gave you 2 of them). Not sure if it would be better than any specific skill, but I was curious.

Did anyone ever confirm if that item gave you double the passive effects? I missed that conclusion.
If I were to use Fire Ally in the build then I would replace Cyclone Strike or SW Fire with it and use Crudest Boots.

And yes you get both double Passive and double Active. The active would hit for 2000%+ weapon damage and the passive would give a nice 20% damage.

It's a nice side option to Ice Climbers, I would actually consider it.

Shifty76

Yes, double the passive and the active, so air ally gives 8 spirit/sec as well as 200 spirit on activation. I experimented with dbl fire ally, and while the dmg buff was nice, I found the spirit from air ally was overall far more useful.

Dahbomb

Yes, double the passive and the active, so air ally gives 8 spirit/sec as well as 200 spirit on activation. I experimented with dbl fire ally, and while the dmg buff was nice, I found the spirit from air ally was overall far more useful.
Well in the build with Shenlong, the Spirit Regen isn't really required as it's almost entirely focused on attacking with Generators to proc the Shenlong. So Double Fire Ally would be much better.

That's pretty awesome about the passive effect, wasn't sure how that would pan out.
I think the confusion was only if it was 2 Allies total or 2 additional Allies. It's two Allies total so it's just doubling the effect.

This pretty much reminds me that the game desperately needs better Legendary Shoulders. The only good Legendary shoulder right now is Vile Ward, every other Legendary Shoulder is butt cheeks.

Edit: Seems like Season 4 is about to start soon. New PTR patch incoming?

ZenaxPure

Edit: Seems like Season 4 is about to start soon. New PTR patch incoming?

What kind of bets are we taking here?

Complete overhaul of gem upgrade system again? SWK gaining another 1-2k %dmg boost? Some weird random tiny change that vaults a class above demon hunters in GRs?

My excitement level is rising.

Dahbomb

Considering that there has been no Datamine leak and the new Season is supposed to go up today at 5 PDT, I don't have much expectations that we will be seeing a big patch.

ZenaxPure

Yeah that's true. Honestly if the patch is next week I'd only expect 1 more sizable PTR patch. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't one at all.

Dahbomb

Well if we are going to talk about WISHLIST changes then here would be mine.

Monks:

*Sweeping Wind skills semi-reworked to have secondary effects scale with stacks as well. So individual hits of Cyclone SW of the tornadoes do more damage for every stack you have and will gain more damage with the new weapon. Already made a post about it a while back.

*LTK, WoL and Tempest Rush damage increased. LTK spirit cost reduced to 40 spirit (half way between 30 and 50, a fair middle ground).

*SWK no longer crippled by Resource Cost reduction.

SWK two piece now applies on ALL 2 Handers.

SWK proc now has the elemental effect of the skill you used to proc with (if multiple element skills are used then skill that made the highest percentage of the 75 cost will have its effects proc).

SWK proc damage reduced to 3000%.

*Lightning Raiment set reworked. Completely new 4 piece and 6 piece bonuses.

*Enduring Ally and Earth Ally effects are combined together as Earth Ally. Enduring Ally replaced with Thunder Ally. Thunder Ally does Lightning damage, gives passive 20% attack speed, on active turns into a bolt of Lightning and hits 10 times for 100% weapon damage with a 100% chance to stun. A target stunned once can't be stunned again by the Mystic Ally.

*SSS has the effect of Fulminating rune as base for all (as in it does AOE damage of the element for all skills on top of the standard strikes). Fulminating Onslaught now restores 50 Spirit instead of costing 50 spirit.

Flow of Eternity now has a 5th Primary affix that Increases SSS damage by 50%.

*Inner Sanctuary - The slowing effect of Forbidden Palace is now the base effect of all runes. Although to be honest most of the non Forbidden Palace runes need a hard look at because they are generally pretty bad.

*Proc coef of Spirit generators increased (mostly just everything except WohF).

*New Shoulder Legendary that buffs Cyclone Strike in some way. Give it the effect of Vile Ward for all I care man. It doesn't even have to be a new Shoulder, it can be an old one with a new affix.

Dahbomb

Double post but I checked the Leaderboards again today before they went down.

Crusaders and DHs are the only two classes to have crossed the 40 GR barrier.

Barb = 39 - 1
Barb = 37 - 1
Barb = 36 - 6
Barb = 35 - 2

Crusader = 40 - 1
Crusader = 38 - 2
Crusader = 37 - 3
Crusader = 36 - 6
Crusader = 35 - 8

DH = 40 - 2
DH = 39 - 3
DH = 38 - 12
DH = 37 - 8
DH = 36 - 31

Monk = 36 - 3
Monk = 35 - 5
Monk = 34 - 14
Monk = 33 - 10

WD = 38 - 2
WD = 37 - 1
WD = 35 - 4
WD = 34 - 4
WD = 33 - 10

Wizard = 39 - 1
Wizard = 37 - 5
Wizard = 36 - 13
Wizard = 35 - 23
Wizard = 34 - 30

Looks like one class was able to touch Demon Hunters and two classes are on the cusp as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom