• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

thanks.

is there a reason stuff should be in a ratio? awhile back i saw crit chance/damage was on a 1:10 ratio or something like that.
It's not as important for All res vs armor but you really want a balance with CC and CHD.

Too high CHD but too low CC means that you will rarely ever hit those big numbers meaning your DPS isn't really that much higher.

Too high CC but too low CHD means that you will be critting often but it won't be for that much higher big numbers.

You basically want both CC and CHD as much as you can.

All res + armor is trickier because choices have to be made. In general All Res is preferable on gear because you simply get more of it. I almost always concentrating getting my All Res in order before working on my Armor. 4 classes get Armor as a main stat so you only have to worry about getting Armor from gear on Intelligence classes (and even then All Res on gear is still a fine option).

Due to a long story about activity and amount of members, there is now a requirement for being Paragon 100 (non-seasonal) or above to join. If you reach this requirement, feel free to send an invite! But don't forget to quote this reply with your Battle ID so we know who you are in D3. I won't be able to accept until I know.

You can also join the community ("GAF") which has no requirements. I suggest you join both since not everyone is in the clan. :3

Hey, can I get a clan invite? My battletag is LunarKnite#1433.

StMeph

thanks.

is there a reason stuff should be in a ratio? awhile back i saw crit chance/damage was on a 1:10 ratio or something like that.

The short answer is that it's more mathematically efficient that way. You get more DPS out of boosting the lagging stat than raising the higher one even further, unless the options are super lopsided, like on gloves, where the potential is 10% crit vs 50 CHD.

If you have 35% Crit and +400 CHD, and can reroll one item to either chance or damage, but not both, then you get more DPS out of rolling to raise crit than crit damage further if the number are roughly equal (5% crit or 50 CHD).

It's not a huge difference, but it's an easy one to keep track of, and there are measurable/marginal gains in a game about squeezing out marginal gains.

It's similar for defense, but it's not as practical in game terms as Crit/CHD since people prioritize damage, and there aren't enough defensive stat slots left over to meaningfully balance Armor/All Res out.

Oibignose

Ok so I played Diablo 3 at release after being a big blizzard and Diablo 2 fan. After running the original campaign a few times and getting to 60 the game got old real quick.

Having read this thread praise the current state of the game and finding a good deal on ros I decided to give it another go. Been playing a few hours every night and finally tonight finished act V a crusader. I'm so pumped right now I had to post. What blizzard have done to this game in every single department is simply phenomenal. Every complaint I had with original is fixed and having briefly played adventure mode tonight I can finally assure myself it's not just the campaign that's improved.

Best improvement in any game from release in my opinion. Just want to say thanks as without this thread I probably never would have thought twice about going back to d3.

ZenaxPure

Hey, can I get a clan invite? My battletag is LunarKnite#1433.

This is kind of just a general message for anyone, as we have spots again just join the GAF community and then speak up in it. If there is an officer online they can invite you. I'll be logging on in like 10 minutes if there is no one else on.

Have you tried a physical Raekor build at all? I put one together last night with my Crusader's Heart Slaughter, I think I like it better than fire + Maximus. Since a charge will almost entirely fill your fury AND groups enemies together, I used boulder toss as a spender. Charge, chuck a rock, charge, chuck a rock, etc. I haven't tried a GR yet though, so the RG is probably still a pain.

Boulder charge is fine, but, I will tell you the biggest reason it doesn't get used: Ignore Pain and Battle Rage synergy. Something most high end Raekor barbarians are doing right now is picking the rune that causes IP to give 5k LPFS and then using Battle Rage as a healing skill. Without any LPFS on your gear Battle Rage will still heal you for ~105k hp per shout. Since you aren't doing anything else with your rage and you cap it every single charge it works amazingly. As mentioned before Raekor is heavily dependent on CDR, so, with Pride of Cassius and even modest CDR you can easily have around 60-70% uptime on IP, which means you can heal yourself constantly. It's a very powerful skill combination. Doing T6 you obviously don't need the extra heal, but, it becomes invaluable as you move up GRs.

Also just in general sadly boulder toss runs into the single target problem as well. Outside of the few bosses that have consistent adds Charge is only going to generate 25 fury on bosses which is unfortunate.

StMeph

I can finally assure myself it's not just the campaign that's improved

I'm all for giving credit where it's due, and D3's post-campaign gameplay has improved tremendously with ROS and 2.1, but let's be honest and say that the campaign is still terrible. The plot is terrible, the characters are terrible, and the campaign is easily the weakest part about D3.

I'm all for giving credit where it's due, and D3's post-campaign gameplay has improved tremendously with ROS and 2.1, but let's be honest and say that the campaign is still terrible. The plot is terrible, the characters are terrible, and the campaign is easily the weakest part about D3.

For sure, I will admit that I greatly enjoyed Act 1 though. Story got off to a strong start, but kinda fell apart from there. Also, Magda is the worst designed villian ever, jesus its so bad! Should have made her like Andariel/Lilith.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It's not as important for All res vs armor but you really want a balance with CC and CHD.

Too high CHD but too low CC means that you will rarely ever hit those big numbers meaning your DPS isn't really that much higher.

Too high CC but too low CHD means that you will be critting often but it won't be for that much higher big numbers.

You basically want both CC and CHD as much as you can.

All res + armor is trickier because choices have to be made. In general All Res is preferable on gear because you simply get more of it. I almost always concentrating getting my All Res in order before working on my Armor. 4 classes get Armor as a main stat so you only have to worry about getting Armor from gear on Intelligence classes (and even then All Res on gear is still a fine option).

To add to what Dahbomb said, don't try and adhere to the 1:10 ratio for AR:Armor, it doesn't work as well as for CHD:CC anyway. The reason being that all res bonuses on gear can reach 100, but armor bonuses can never reach 1000, which is technically what would be required to reach that 1:10 ratio. As Dahbomb implied, when in doubt go for AR. If you're a wizard or witch doctor, consider armor only once you have high-level gear and already a ton of all res. Even then, AR won't hurt.

Firemind

Armor is awesome when you get single resistances as secondary affixes. Physical being the most awesome, followed by fire and electric.

Oibignose

You're right it's not great but I don't hate it. Typical blizzard trashy story. Nothing taxing. I skipped everything until act V which I thought was almost as good as act 1. I'll probably never run through it again now I've unlocked adventure mode.

Xeteh

Anyone else here dealing with the "There was an error loading the hero. Please try again.(Code: 395002) "? Started about 30m before the maintenance but apparently a bunch of people are getting this while other people can play just fine. I can actually log on EU but not NA.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Anyone else here dealing with the "There was an error loading the hero. Please try again.(Code: 395002) "? Started about 30m before the maintenance but apparently a bunch of people are getting this while other people can play just fine. I can actually log on EU but not NA.

have a friend that can log in. but i can't for some reason. i dunno what really going on, since the server maintenance is over.

Xeteh

have a friend that can log in. but i can't for some reason. i dunno what really going on, since the server maintenance is over.

Yeah, seems a lot of people are getting it. Some Blizz rep suggested logging out of the desktop app, logging back in and swapping regions back and forth before logging back in Diablo. Did nothing for me.

Edit: Oh hey, I got on.

Magnus

Guys, as someone returning to the game from a 1+ year absence, please educate me about what I'm getting by buying RoS, as opposed to just playing the new 2.0.1 version of the game.

Is it just the Crusader and Act V?

Or are Adventure, Rifts, Bounties, etc. all of that locked behind the expansion wall, too?

Guys, as someone returning to the game from a 1+ year absence, please educate me about what I'm getting by buying RoS, as opposed to just playing the new 2.0.1 version of the game.

Or are Adventure, Rifts, Bounties, etc. all of that locked behind the expansion wall, too?
Yes, buy RoS. Most everything is expansion only.

Magnus

Yes, buy RoS. Most everything is expansion only.

In terms of starting fresh, can I actually make use of any of that expansion content right now, aside from the obvious one (play as the Crusader)?

If not, I think I'll wait to see if I really do fall in love with the game again and beat it once before buying RoS. Might get a better deal then or get distracted by another game.

Though damn, I do dig that Crusader.

How is the class?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

rifts alone are worth it. i bought both of them at once, was thinking about just getting the base game only, glad i didn't.

also i can log in now.

Sajjaja

In terms of starting fresh, can I actually make use of any of that expansion content right now, aside from the obvious one (play as the Crusader)?

If not, I think I'll wait to see if I really do fall in love with the game again and beat it once before buying RoS. Might get a better deal then or get distracted by another game.

Though damn, I do dig that Crusader.

How is the class?

I believe adventure mode and rifts are locked behind that expansion wall as well.

Honestly, the expansion content is fucking amazing. The writing is much better than the base game, though it is still kind of lame. Mathael isnt taunting you and confessing his sexual fetish over you all the time. The music is amazing as well. I haven't played the crusader yet but the rifts and adventure mode are really fun and add nigh infinite replay ability.

Worth it IMO. I believe it's been $20 at bnet before so if you're still hesitant, wait for the sale I guess.

J. Bravo

I'm playing season. I just don't want to impose on people I don't know when I'm not in much a position to carry my own weight.

bro that's how i got to where i am currently in seasons. paragon lvl 120ish with full marauder. by imposing on people running t6. i'm not even ashamed to admit it hahaha.

joesmokey

So my gear is pretty stuck at this point until I get The Furnace (or a really good Sun Keeper):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aeglos7-1318/hero/51704003

I don't think I can progress past gr35 with Maximus as rift guardians simply have too much hp and there is too much RNG for Maximus spawning.

Outside of The Furnace or Sun Keeper, I've been toying with the idea of using a Mirrorball build again with upgrading to a super high Simplicity's Strength gem. Would this be better than the Toxin gem and a high 2hr weapon (taking advantage of weapon dmg)?

Maximus is nice for clearing out trash because it seems to spawn more consistently with a lot of mobs around. With a Mirrorball build though, you could get the Maximus fire chain crits from your MM more reliably. I guess the problem would be figuring out what slot to give up in the skill department, which would be Hydra. You would then lose out on Hydra damage + fire chain dmg, so that would have to be a pretty huge net gain.

Simplicity's Strength scales pretty well in terms of gem upgrading though (0.5% each upgrade), so it seems easier to catch up in damage.

This is probably a terrible idea, just theorycrafting for something to shoot for since I won't be seeing The Furnace anytime soon :(. I feel terrible wasting Kadala shards on it, especially since Sun Keeper and Furnace are in different groups. Would be nice to have something to shoot for instead of just that one singular item. I am tempted to try and get a perfectly rolled Strongarm Bracers so that I could re-roll a secondary into 6% melee reduction. The physical resistance on mine might be just as good, however.

As a side note, I am also tempted to upgrade Moratorium too so that you can get a pretty high duration going. Might be able to substitute out String of Ears for something like Witching Hour once you can stagger the damage duration.

Bombless

Thanks Ayumi, you made me realise it was stupid to actually carry a signature spell in my setup. That freed a spot for the hydra, wewt! First time using it actually.

I'm going to take a few bounty runs to see how it goes and then take it for a couple rifts to see if it holds up.

Xeteh

bro that's how i got to where i am currently in seasons. paragon lvl 120ish with full marauder. by imposing on people running t6. i'm not even ashamed to admit it hahaha.

Been at it for about an hour now. Nothing found yet but I don't feel so useless spamming Addling Toads and Horrify.

Firemind

MfqUqdC.jpg

I have no idea if this is actually good or not. The tooltip states the enchanted damage is above average, but 2,081 seems low comparatively . Is it the lower attack speed and base damage?

I have no idea if this is actually good or not. The tooltip states the enchanted damage is above average, but 2,081 seems low comparatively . Is it the lower attack speed and base damage?

It's not very good, no. I wouldn't put a Gift on it if that's what you're asking. But it might be better than whatever 1Her you're currently using. Roll vit to socket and try it out.

eek5

That sunkeeper isn't bad. If you roll vit to +10% dmg it'll be above dmg roll. I don't know if I would gift it or not but it isn't terrible

ZenaxPure

That sunkeeper isn't bad. If you roll vit to +10% dmg it'll be above dmg roll. I don't know if I would gift it or not but it isn't terrible

Yeah I was about to say... That Sunkeeper is far from terrible. You rolled above average damage and close to perfect elite damage (Sunkeeper can roll between 15% and 30% so it's a huge margin of RNG fuckery).

Honestly I'd roll the vit into 10% damage and use a gift on it. Even if you get another Sunkeeper with higher damage (which is hard enough on its own) getting that close to perfect elite damage is going to be tough.

eek5

Yeah I was about to say... That Sunkeeper is far from terrible. You rolled above average damage and close to perfect elite damage (Sunkeeper can roll between 15% and 30% so it's a huge margin of RNG fuckery).

Honestly I'd roll the vit into 10% damage and use a gift on it. Even if you get another Sunkeeper with higher damage (which is hard enough on its own) getting that close to perfect elite damage is going to be tough.

It got a good INT roll too. At +10% it'd be a smidge short of 2300 dps I think which is ideally what you'd want to be at but overall not bad.

Dahbomb

2081 seems low because SK rolls low attack speed. That's a very good SK when you roll the vit into 10% damage and then use a Gift on it of course.

ZenaxPure

It got a good INT roll too. At +10% it'd be a smidge short of 2300 dps I think which is ideally what you'd want to be at but overall not bad.

Pretty much. My main point was just that like 90% of Sunkeepers are garbage because it has to jump two big RNG hurdles (good damage roll and good elite roll). That one doesn't have the best damage roll (it's still above average though) and it got a fantastic elite roll.

For comparison's sake if you look at the top Wizard on the leaderboards using a Sunkeeper his only rolled 1190-1462 damage and 28% elite damage which isn't very far from yours all things considered.

You probably won't be replacing that weapon for a while.

eek5

I have a good Sun Keeper sitting in the stash, but still haven't found a Gift as I near Paragon 200 :(

I have a really good one too. 2334 dps w/ 28% elites. I haven't gotten a single gift in non-seasons (forrest gave me one though!) through about 45 paragons (from 480 to 545ish which is a lot of kills!)

I've gotten 2 in seasons in my first 50 paragon and none since. I'm like 230 now..

so yeah... it kind of sucks. I wish they made it something you could craft out of like 100-150 souls or something (as well as being a rare drop)

cdyhybrid

I have a really good one too. 2334 dps w/ 28% elites. I haven't gotten a single gift in non-seasons (forrest gave me one though!) through about 45 paragons (from 480 to 545ish which is a lot of kills!)

I've gotten 2 in seasons in my first 50 paragon and none since. I'm like 230 now..

so yeah... it kind of sucks. I wish they made it something you could craft out of like 100-150 souls or something (as well as being a rare drop)

Agreed. There needs to be something to mitigate RNG.

Their solution to the clash between RNG and sockets being required was...to introduce a mechanic that is at the mercy of RNG.

Blizzard pls

Xeteh

I've found 4 Gifts and I'm at PL236... I'll be damned if I can complete Jade Harvester though. Just got my 100th Helltooth piece, though.

cdyhybrid

Which class feels the most like you're actually hitting things hard?

I just kind of run around and wait for things to die on my Wizard.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

procarbine's wizard ticks elites for 100-120 mil on average (I believe). If you really like big numbers though, I'd suggest crusader. Nothing like running up to a mob and just shotgunning for 100 mil+ burst damage.

Sajjaja

I always liked the impact the Monks moves had. Very meaty and weighty, though the numbers aren't great. Monks need a buff man...

Trying to get back into this game but am a little bit lost since the big update. Pre 2.1 was handling T3 well enough using the CA build but since the preperation change I am down to T2. I want to move to a Chakram build if possible as CA has bored me but I don't really know what to build for it. Would someone be willing to take a quick look at my character and maybe just give me something to start with? I assume fire Chakram will be ok or should I be going for physical?

I know I need to re roll the Cluster Arrow damage to Chakram for starters so right now I am just building up yellows for salvaging to be able to afford rolls as it has cost me a fair bit so far. Depleted my entire stash unfortunately.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VWdrewzBie-6802/hero/35502489

Any advice appreciated.

IceMarker

Feel free to message me in-game guys if you need into the Community or want to request an invite to the Clan (which is 138 of 150 members as of this post).

IceMarker#1172

cdyhybrid

procarbine's wizard ticks elites for 100-120 mil on average (I believe). If you really like big numbers though, I'd suggest crusader. Nothing like running up to a mob and just shotgunning for 100 mil+ burst damage.

It's not so much the numbers (although they help) as the "feel" of the combat. Like HotA on my Barb felt like I was actually crushing things, but HotA builds aren't high-GR-capable, so that particular build/skill is out.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
It's not so much the numbers (although they help) as the "feel" of the combat. Like HotA on my Barb felt like I was actually crushing things, but HotA builds aren't high-GR-capable, so that particular build/skill is out.

Yeah, if you love barb HOTA, you will love crusader shotgun (or even phalanx/condemn). It's basically just an improved HOTA. I too enjoyed hota and used to play it on my barb way back when, then I geared up my crusader, and then realized I could just never go back HOTA (I just play barb for WW or earthquake these days).

Armaros

Okay, my new Witchdoctor is cursed,

First i get a non lvl 70 Flayer, and now he gets a non lvl 70 Sunkeeper off of Malthael as I was completing the campaign.

FML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom