• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another gift, pride of cassius, IK and Leapquake Gloves. Now I can finally sit down and experiment with builds besides raekor. Interested in trying a lighting or cold barb. Still low on Topaz though, can't roll a socket into my unity yet :(.

Firemind

Honestly, the designs are all over the place. Wizards seasonal leg should have been an offhand, not main weapon. It's kind of random what the design teams come up with. Tal's orb and the Oculus were staves in D2 but they changed it to sources. Mara's absorbs poison now and Star of Azkaranth absorbs fire even though The Rising Sun existed. Thundergods was first a mighty belt but now everyone can equip it. Etc.

DD-11

Another gift, pride of cassius, IK and Leapquake Gloves. Now I can finally sit down and experiment with builds besides raekor. Interested in trying a lighting or cold barb. Still low on Topaz though, can't roll a socket into my unity yet :(.

Why are unities so good? I have one, and it's ok, but I don't really get it. Is it because of the shared damage between wearers? What are leapquake gloves?

Armaros

Why are unities so good? I have one, and it's ok, but I don't really get it. Is it because of the shared damage between wearers? What are leapquake gloves?

You get two unities, give one to your follower and give the follower the legendary that makes them immortal.

Now you have 50% damage reduction from unity at all times.

DD-11

You get two unities, give one to your follower and give the follower the legendary that makes them immortal.

Now you have 50% damage reduction from unity at all times.

Wow, that's crazy, I'm assuming that the immortal follower legendary is tough to get, but wow. Thanks.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Not only does it boost your toughness by a billion when you have two, but it's also one of the few rings in the game that rolls +elite damage.

Unity is so fucking cheesy with the immortal token.

Is it cheesy though? At this point I feel as though it was intentional, considering they haven't patched it.

I have a question about Bane of the Powerful. I see a lot of folks using this on amulets and tossing out elemental dmg. But is 20% more dmg after killing elites really better than 20% elemental dmg all the time?

Dahbomb

It IS intentional, they have said so before.

That still makes it cheesy though.

I have a question about Bane of the Powerful. I see a lot of folks using this on amulets and tossing out elemental dmg. But is 20% more dmg after killing elites really better than 20% elemental dmg all the time?
Yes it is mostly because at higher levels you will have the buff up almost all the time in a Rift. Also you get the 15% Elite damage bonus.

Allows alot of builds to go 'glass cannon' but still have enough tankiness
It doesn't allow anything. All it does it makes it mandatory to use the combination in higher GRs when playing Solo. It's so good that it invalidates all other Ring options.

cdyhybrid

Well this is neat. Will come in handy once I find a FotF or BoP!

36N5CVx.png

Yikes. I've never seen a good one of these drop before.

MnXg5in.png

Yes it is mostly because at higher levels you will have the buff up almost all the time in a Rift. Also you get the 15% Elite damage bonus.

I didn't think about the upgrade bonus. That will be nice when I upgrade it. Also, just dropped this today. I guess it's a good thing sockets aren't garbage anymore. I might also consider using Blackthorn's belt with it.

D7ydhzG.png

I agree about Unity though. It's so good that I feel like I have to use it. Kinda silly not to, really. Same with RoRG.

Dahbomb

Question...why is Unity a must have item?
And if I wear a Unity, and have 2 water clones, do they count as wearers? Or what?
Unity only works when someone else in the party is wearing a Unity. Your Water clones are not wearing Unity themselves so it doesn't work.

You equip a Unity on your follower and yourself... it basically reduces your damage by half. That is pretty fucking insane. Putting the Immortal Follower item on that Follower makes it so that you will always have the Unity buff.

The toughness increase from the Unity combo is insane and allows classes to proceed further in the Greater Rifts.

TheYanger

Unity only works when someone else in the party is wearing a Unity. Your Water clones are not wearing Unity themselves so it doesn't work.

You equip a Unity on your follower and yourself... it basically reduces your damage by half. That is pretty fucking insane. Putting the Immortal Follower item on that Follower makes it so that you will always have the Unity buff.

The toughness increase from the Unity combo is insane and allows classes to proceed further in the Greater Rifts.

It's actually really BAD to wear unity if your follower doesn't have the immortal relic. (well, if they have unity also that is). The immortal relic doesn't just make them not die - it makes them completely immune to damage. If they're not immortal, the damage they take gets reflected back onto you as well, and your followers are squishy as hell, it ends up hurting a lot.

It's actually really BAD to wear unity if your follower doesn't have the immortal relic. (well, if they have unity also that is). The immortal relic doesn't just make them not die - it makes them completely immune to damage. If they're not immortal, the damage they take gets reflected back onto you as well, and your followers are squishy as hell, it ends up hurting a lot.

I think this is pretty much common knowledge :)

What happens if you have the set bonus that calls all followers to your side and you all have on a Unity. Would you take 25% dmg while they are all out? Not that using the set is worthwhile but.... I've always wondered that.

iirate

I think this is pretty much common knowledge :)

What happens if you have the set bonus that calls all followers to your side and you all have on a Unity. Would you take 25% dmg while they are all out? Not that using the set is worthwhile but.... I've always wondered that.

I did some looking around for an answer to this recently, and apparently Unity doesn't work at all for the followers summoned by Asheara's.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Decided to make a fire WW/pet-build today, on my barb, and god damn is it fun. Ancients hit for around 35-50 mil (sometimes 60 mil on elites) and the fire WW hits pretty hard, and fast too.

Dahbomb

That's pretty much what they should be fixing with the Unity + Immortal Relic combination.

Decided to make a fire WW/pet-build today, on my barb, and god damn is it fun. Ancients hit for around 35-50 mil (sometimes 60 mil on elites) and the fire WW hits pretty hard, and fast too.

Kind of want to do something similar to this but with lightning weapons and skills, subbing some defensive stuff for overpower or threatening shout because the ancients will be health linked.

Working on my Wizard now, its fun to run around with the arcane meteor rune that drains all your arcane power, already critting harder than HOTA on my Barb and I'm only level 68. Apparently it gets into the billion range with decent gear.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Kind of want to do something similar to this but with lightning weapons and skills, subbing some defensive stuff for overpower or threatening shout because the ancients will be health linked.

Working on my Wizard now, its fun to run around with the arcane meteor rune that drains all your arcane power, already critting harder than HOTA on my Barb and I'm only level 68. Apparently it gets into the billion range with decent gear.

Yeah I've tried both lightning and physical IK builds; lightning's problem is the health link (they just die way too fast) and just not enough damage. Physical WW is great, but I'm liking fire much more simply because I feel like I'm doing double or even triple the damage.

I really wish the lightning ancients was just something like "Ancients are now immortal and share 20% damage taken," or hell, just immortal by itself would be fine. I tried desperately to make it work lol, as the only SoJ I have is for lightning; so I wish a WW build around lightning was good, but alas, it ain't. Since SoH got nerfed, lightning's damage is severely handicapped compared to fire, physical, and cold (for barbs).

I've been thinking about trying a lightning frenzy build one of these days, with depth diggers + simplicity's strength + berserker's rage, the single target damage would be insane, and hopefully the procs from something like Odyn Son + SoH will cover the AoE side.

Dahbomb

If Lightning ancients were immortal then there would be no point in using Immortal King set with them.

Since SoH got nerfed, lightning's damage is severely handicapped compared to fire, physical, and cold (for barbs).
It's honestly the same for almost every class. Every class has some element that is weaker than others. For Monk Holy is king, Lightning is next and then Fire/Physical/Cold far behind them both.

Only class that has comparable damage across all elements is DH.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
If Lightning ancients were immortal then there would be no point in using Immortal King set with them.

By immortal, I simply mean that they never die, not that they have infinite duration. So they'll take no damage, but they'll still de-spawn after 20s if you're using the lightning rune without IK.
It's honestly the same for almost every class. Every class has some element that is weaker than others. For Monk Holy is king, Lightning is next and then Fire/Physical/Cold far behind them both.

Only class that has comparable damage across all elements is DH.

Yeah, I mean most classes have one dominant element based on their sets (except for crusader and DH), but still, with barb you can run a successful physical and cold build that can get you up to around GR level 35 and 36. Lightning damage is so handicapped that I don't see it getting anywhere past 31 or 32. I think maybe a few people have tried lightning raekor's and gotten up to 33, but there's literally no reason to use lightning raekor over fire, it's just completely stupid, same playstyle, same everything, just vastly inferior (as opposed to say physical/lightning/fire WW builds that all have their own flavor and perks--tornadoes for physical, procs for lightning, and heavy-hitting ancients for fire).

Dahbomb

By immortal, I simply mean that they never die, not that they have infinite duration. So they'll take no damage, but they'll still de-spawn after 20s if you're using the lightning rune without IK.
That seems pretty powerful then because with the damage shared like that it's like another Unity mechanic available to the Barbs.

Careful about asking stuff like this, it only leads to heartache when Blizzard inevitably nerfs it.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
That seems pretty powerful then because with the damage shared like that it's like another Unity mechanic available to the Barbs.

Careful about asking stuff like this, it only leads to heartache when Blizzard inevitably nerfs it.

Eh, giving lightning barbs the theoretical survivability of monks doesn't really risk breaking the game, as the damage cap on lightning will still limit it to GR 32 and below. And hey, if in the future they decide to buff lightning damage up the wazoo, then my buff suggestion isn't really relevant anymore. It's just something I'd like right now to make life easier for the lightning barb that doesn't care about 40+ GR's and just wants to chill in the low 30's (while being able to use lightning ancients).

Of course, the ideal buff would be to damage or a new set that makes lightning relevant (and this goes to pretty much all classes, I think out of all the elements, lightning is universally the worst).

Dahbomb

Giving ANY class the theoretical survivability of Monk is game breaking. Monks can theoretically survive at GR 100, they are just capped by damage output.

The solution is not to just give classes BS ways to survive but to give them diverse ways to dish out damage.

ZenaxPure

Barbarians already have a stupid easy way to get perma-50% damage reduction from IP anyway. Lightning ancients are redundant, never really liked the rune honestly, but, ancients have a huge problem now anyway as the damage fire ones do is so ridiculous compared to the damage of the others.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
What difficulty are you playing on? It was massively buffed recently, I did 2100 Act 1 Bounties pre-buff and never received it, post-buff it dropped on my 3rd try.

Actual drops, not bags.

playing t3/4 and getting a leg out of most caches. Countless maces, amulets, bracers and shoulders. Never the damn ring.

More DH questions!

I saw a few DHs using Strongarm bracers and Impale with knockback. Is that a better idea than using elemental arrow?

If a lot of DHs are actually using Cold as their main element, how comes they're still using the fire version of multishot and the physical sentry?

Does the enforcer gem increase sentry dmg or only your companion-pets' dmg?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I got one earlier today from a Act IV cache actually. People tend to forget about those but if you get a good spread of Bounties it can be worth it (this was on Torment III btw).

afaik torment level has no bearing on what comes out, just how often something comes out.

Ended up getting about 35 act 1 cache legendaries before getting RRoG so with a 1 in 5 chance taking as long as it did, how long do you think it would have taken with a 1 in 21 chance?

And now the endless search for reakors boots...

Ayumi

Wouldn't really say that's true honestly. Based on GR progress the Condemned build with the Crusader seasonal item is stronger than pretty much everything they have except the Stampede build right now (which it isn't far behind really). Monk one could have been strong but they nerfed it (by half iirc) and the barbarian one would be great if they just made slight adjustments to it. The wizard and demon hunter items are more utility based and the witch doctor one... well yeah that one just ended up useless.

Basically my point is the power level on the items is just kind of random. I'm sure next season there will be a few items that are top tier like the Condemned shield and probably a few stinkers. Going forward seasons will probably be the place where most new legendaries come from simply because there will be more seasons than there will content patches. Pretty much guaranteed to have another season before the next major patch but based on the speed (or lack of) 2.1 came out I wouldn't be surprised if there was 2 or 3 more seasons before the next content patch.

It seems that they add items that could be great, but isn't always. I doubt they would want the rage from adding items that would significantly increase certain builds so much that everyone wish they had that specific item. I think it would be kind of good, to add a few super items to seasons. There will be people angry about it, but they just really need to do more with seasons because right now it's just dreadful. I don't even play season because I have zero motivation as it stands today.

Bombless

Now that wizzie is in t6 with 6p Firebird I went back to the crusader and found the Phalanx shield. Good god, the horses charge is hilarious. Shame it's held back by the godawful wrath system.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Giving ANY class the theoretical survivability of Monk is game breaking. Monks can theoretically survive at GR 100, they are just capped by damage output.

The solution is not to just give classes BS ways to survive but to give them diverse ways to dish out damage.

And lightning is equally capped by damage output, hell any build that uses a lightning IK is going to be capped by damage output. If they changed the lightning rune tomorrow, to read: "Ancients are now immortal and take 100% of your damage," you still woudn't see a lightning barb using IK above GR 32. You might see a leapquake + lightning IK get to 34 or 35, but that's about it.

Anyhow, like ZenaxPure said above me, the current lightning ancients that act as a worse unity just don't make sense--they are redundant and they die far too quickly. Changing their bonus to anything else is ideal, immortal was my suggestion because lightning is handicapped in so many departments already (compared to the other elements), that making it the tank spec for barbs isn't a bad idea.

Tarazet

This is where I'm at with my Holy Shotgun build on seasonal. It's doing pretty good.. 58% CDR with paragon points all lined up. Of course I still have a bit of a wishlist.

Better Leoric's Crown that I can roll crit chance. (Not possible right now because my Vitality is really low).
Amulet with CHC, CHD, CDR, socket.
A better pair of Reaper's Wraps. Getting all the blue mats to keep crafting them is a royal pain.
Holy or Physical SoJ.
A better Hellskull with at least one defensive stat.

Maybe a good Mortal Drama or Baleful Remnant so I can try out the stampede build. I wouldn't have to change much.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tarazet-1231/hero/51784409

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom