• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I think people have gone over this already. There ARE benefits to staying in a rift after the Guardian is dead, depending on what you're playing for. Things like:

1. Rifts have higher Leg/Set drop rates, clearing the rest of a rift of champs/packs can be rewarding, especially in high density rifts
2. Chance at goblins (i.e. Blood Thieves!)
3. Still really good XP (again, especially with high density)

I think too many people place too much emphasis on the bonus XP reward for closing a rift. Maybe in the long run that bonus XP adds up to have some kind of tangible affect on paragon leveling, but I'd rather take general XP gains + higher chance at legs/sets (especially with Ancients in the game now) + chance at Gobbies overall, personally. Too many times I've found cool shit after the Guardian has been downed, such as running into an army of goblins, some of the gear I wear, and even things like Ramalandi Gifts. If all you want to do a rift for is XP + Guardian clearing, then do some high level GRifts.

All those things are in a new rift, plus you get another boss.

neoism

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/2u36q4/possible_blizzard_leak_the_next_starcraft_2_game/

Possible Blizzard leak - "The next Starcraft 2 game is already done and ready to go. The release date is still not settled. The current time window ranges from April to June." (self.starcraft)

submitted 8 hours ago * by invesari

This was put up this morning by Tae Kim at Yahoo Finance, but it looks like it might have been taken down. Here is what it said:

An Activision Blizzard insider, who could not be named due to his or her employers’ policy on talking to the press, revealed significant details about the company’s current game pipeline. This same source had the name and exact timing information of Blizzard’s Overwatch game announcement last November way before the news. The validity of the Overwatch leak and other various reasons are why I deem him or her to be a credible source.

The insider says Hearthstone numbers “are off the charts.” The next expansion is due to come out in April and will be more PvE focused. The team is also experimenting with a 2 vs. 2 version. Stunningly Hearthstone has now passed the 75 million players milestone.

Regarding Overwatch, the insider says the business model is still in flux. They are trying to decide between a free-to-play or expansion type focused model. No matter what, you will initially be able to play the game for free, but how you pay for heroes is still to be decided. The development team is pushing to launch the game this year, but senior executives are skeptical it can be done by then. There is a tiny chance for a December release, but it’s more likely to come out in early 2016 at this stage.

Executives have “low expectations” for Heroes of the Storm. The insider thinks many of the senior staff on the Heroes of the Storm team will be laid off.

The next Starcraft 2 game is already done and ready to go. The release date is still not settled. The current time window ranges from April to June.

The World of Warcraft team has “quadrupled” its art outsourcing, which has been a bottleneck in the past. The next expansion is almost “feature complete.”

The insider says the Diablo 3 team has been “completely gutted” for a new project set in the Starcraft universe. The game will be similar to Warframe and contain gameplay aspects from Left4Dead, DayZ, Smite, and other MOBAs. It is in early pre-production, which means late 2016 or later.

The insider gave me more details on other things, but I covered the most interesting content developments. Hearthstone’s success is beyond even the most optimistic expectations and should be a buffer against the continued year-over-year secular decline of the Call of Duty and Skylanders franchises. At time of writing Activision Blizzard could not be reached for comment. Send comments to: taekim(at)yahoo-inc(dot)com

EDIT: Apparently this is the original source. The blog is linked on the Yahoo page for whatever reason. I make no claims about about the validity of this info.
:( hope not

I'll just make the same joke I made in the WoW thread at this news and say that at the rate content comes out for D3 I already thought the team was gutted.

Seems like it. I feel like it really shouldn't be that hard to give players what they want, which is new legendaries, upgrades to non-affixed legendaries, more gems, etc. Instead of having a quick 2-3 week overturn of constant small patches, it's a two month wait for a new PTR patch, and another 2 for the public patch.

ZenaxPure

Seems like it. I feel like it really shouldn't be that hard to give players what they want, which is new legendaries, upgrades to non-affixed legendaries, more gems, etc. Instead of having a quick 2-3 week overturn of constant small patches, it's a two month wait for a new PTR patch, and another 2 for the public patch.

Yeah it's ridiculous, still waiting on season 2 and honestly kind of losing interest at this point. Been playing GW2 lately and it is doing a good job at filling the D3 void in the casual "I just want to log on and murder some dudes without thinking about it much" game.

Celegus

I'll just make the same joke I made in the WoW thread at this news and say that at the rate content comes out for D3 I already thought the team was gutted.

That's what it's seemed like, yep. Shame since they've turned it around so much since vanilla, but the slow trickle of content and promises is getting a little bothersome. I do like me some Hearthstone, but nothing comes close to Diablo.

Yeah it's ridiculous, still waiting on season 2 and honestly kind of losing interest at this point. Been playing GW2 lately and it is doing a good job at filling the D3 void in the casual "I just want to log on and murder some dudes without thinking about it much" game.

It's funny because I started playing D3 a lot more as a way to finally end my LoL addiction as I was getting tired of their f2p model with constant patches. But there's something about the feedback cycle of D3 that's so good, but could be so much better. Might have to pry myself away from the PC for a while and get to my backlog if this keeps up though.

I think it's time for me to stop playing Wizard for awhile.

I'm not tired but I fell asleep twice in the middle of rifting. You know your experience is boring as fuck when...

To be fair, the game is not an mmo. They dont make money from subscriptions or microtransaction so i would understand why delivery of new content is slow.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
got my wizard's damage up to 1.3 mil. now she's my best character i guess?

certainly on par with my DH, at least. i got the firebird's eye to drop, and using tal rashas chest. trying to get 2 other tal rasha pieces, or maybe just one. then i gotta pray for some ancients.

w4ttsup

To be fair, the game is not an mmo. They dont make money from subscriptions or microtransaction so i would understand why delivery of new content is slow.

I wouldn't be against the introduction of micro-transactions for things like more storage space, more transmods, and other QoL upgrades.

If this would mean faster and more detailed updates then I'm all for it!

Xanathus

got my wizard's damage up to 1.3 mil. now she's my best character i guess?

certainly on par with my DH, at least. i got the firebird's eye to drop, and using tal rashas chest. trying to get 2 other tal rasha pieces, or maybe just one. then i gotta pray for some ancients.

Generally your damage number is meaningless because a huge chunk of damage now comes from elemental damage which isn't represented in the damage numbers.

Addnan

Going through a 42 all nicely, get the guardian with a decent amount of time left and this fucker pop ups. Quit the game, I couldn't survive 30 seconds next to the fucker.
C4sWeEgl.jpg

Celegus

As someone who has stubbornly whittled down Voracity while having all my equipment break 3 times only to have the 60% gem upgrade fail 3 times, you made the right choice. I hate that guy so much.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
quick question: what is the seasonal DH item and is it worth rolling a DH to 70 real quick to get it?

No, the only reason to hit seasonal 70 is for the transmogs, achievements and the banner stuff. The leonine bow will no longer be season-exclusive once S1 ends - it'll drop in NS and S2 like everything else.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That's what it's seemed like, yep. Shame since they've turned it around so much since vanilla, but the slow trickle of content and promises is getting a little bothersome. I do like me some Hearthstone, but nothing comes close to Diablo.

The problem is that something like Diablo that has no additional revenue streams beyond the box sale is not appealing to executives. Diablo content makes money, but it's not as shiny as the constant cash flow from a successful f2p like Hearthstone.

It is to be expected of Blizzard to keep diverting resources towards these kind of projects.

Sad state of affairs eh?

I would gladly pay for DLC content updates. Though given the absolute shit tonne of money WoW and HS are bringing to the table I can't understand money being a reason not to continue giving life to one of Blizzards longest running titles.

Smash88

Banned
While I farm for a Furnace for my Rhaekor build, what should I roll on this (I have a gift, so I don't need a socket roll)?

http://i.imgur.com/f8kgPFZ.png

I will have 39% CDR using this weapon.

And should I replace it with this:

http://i.imgur.com/dWclAvi.png

EDIT: Ignore my post. I just got two furnace drops between 10 minutes of each other.

I even got an ancient furnace.

Cm6OgNl.png

What should I roll the socket to, or should I roll the vitality? Damage % or CDR? I already have 38% CDR, don't think I need it.

Syntek

The problem is that something like Diablo that has no additional revenue streams beyond the box sale is not appealing to executives. Diablo content makes money, but it's not as shiny as the constant cash flow from a successful f2p like Hearthstone.

It is to be expected of Blizzard to keep diverting resources towards these kind of projects.

Sad state of affairs eh?

They had an AH. It was a bigger cash cow than they had anticipated. They could have fully embraced it and milked it for all its worth with a f2p model, instead they went ahead and killed it off. From a business perspective, it's hard to say whether that's the right call. If they plan to pull the plug on Diablo franchise this soon, why not go out gun ablazing and bring back paid content and milk the AH for all its worth? I think they are planning for the long run.

Hate when you get down to needing the last few pieces of gear to finish a build. Currently chasing a torch, SWK ammy and leroics crown on my Monk. Easily done 30+ rifts the past two nights and not even getting close.

Holy shit. Rifting with some DH's and one of them gets Etrayu and Ancient Manticore in the same rift. FML

Jedi2016

The problem is that something like Diablo that has no additional revenue streams beyond the box sale is not appealing to executives.
Just because ongoing revenue from games is the "new hotness" doesn't mean it's the only business model available. Fact is, only a small percentage of games use it, and even fewer still are truly successful at it.

If you want to directly compare Diablo to Hearthstone, we'll need some numbers. Just because Diablo's money comes in bursts every couple of years doesn't make it unprofitable. I'd even go so far as to wager Diablo is probably more profitable overall.

Dahbomb

Dropped while playing as a Wizard, lol. Any recommendations for rerolling?
It's damn near perfect as is.

Reroll gain life in a socket and your good to go.
No do not do this. That's a Ram gift quality weapon, you want to apply Gift to it and then roll for higher % damage or higher damage roll depending on which gives more DPS. The LPSS is also a very in demand stat on that item (either that or LOH, both are good).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom