• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Man, that feeling when you're one piece away from your 6pc and every set item that drops is not the set you want it to be.

Required? Huh? Set died a long time ago. Or did you mean Akarat's Champion?
Last I checked (2 seasons ago, so bear with me) most builds were either Roland's shield bash or not, and not meant you played 6pc Akkhan's with CDR everywhere on your gear to as much Akarat's Champion uptime as you could. Not sure how the hammerdin set is suppose to work out in the meta either.

Also even from just barely playing monk/barb past 70, they are instantly more fun and have way more interesting mechanics than crusader. Again, all crusader has is shield bash which has a hidden built in dash, or the horse as distance closers. Compare this to barb who has FC, dash, leap or monk with short range blinks, SSS or dashing strike and things like that.

I mean I played the other classes and WD is probably the least mobile but still makes crusader look like a joke left in the dust.

Dahbomb

The crafted sets fill holes in your character on the way to completing your character. Aughilds and Ashearas are really solid. When RoS first came out they were in fact best in slot for certain slots and builds. Aughilds was used quite a while after that including with SWK for Monks.

Crimson set also was used for cooldown intensive specs.

Ever since 6 pc became standard these crafted sets however have fallen out of favor. It became even more so with the introduction of F+R.

eek5

Just read that a minute ago. So want. Fuckin' cubed Buriza for 2 pierce Ricochets, and Pinpoint Accuracy AoE bombs let's GO. I wanna do it NOW.

I'm guessing you'd load up on area dmg too which would turn the 30k into a nice AOE as well. HNG

Sober

The crafted sets fill holes in your character on the way to completing your character. Aughilds and Ashearas are really solid. When RoS first came out they were in fact best in slot for certain slots and builds. Aughilds was used quite a while after that including with SWK for Monks.

Crimson set also was used for cooldown intensive specs.

Ever since 6 pc became standard these crafted sets however have fallen out of favor. It became even more so with the introduction of F+R.
Crafted sets have to have a lower power level by the virtue that they are easy to acquire. But that's just the set bonuses, as stat sticks they are just as good as a stopgap. And having a set bonus of anything is generally better than none. Crafted Legendaries are the same, 95% of them are just vanilla stat sticks with no worthwhile effects.

Also I can't think of how you balance against not having 6pc bonuses vs. those that do honestly. Unless you absolutely nerf the shit out of all 6pc bonuses and frontload everything into 2+4. But then that would just mean don't collect and wear 6pc ever.

Lanrutcon

So getting a conquest for the final tier of the journey.

Anyone up for grouping to achieve these? either the 60 grift or perhaps some of the tX boss rushes (EU).

Got my Monk to 70 last night, time to actually start playing the fun part of the game. Never played a Monk before so I'm looking forward to finding out what the sets are about.

I'm already missing my DH though :(, I'll probably roll a DH once I've run into a wall with my Monk and I have some nice exp gear.

The exact same thing happened to me! I think its a bug to make it default to that setting as I never touched it.

Yeah they fucked up artisans, default for blacksmith is now "all" instead of highest usable, and default for jewels is have materials rather than all
dac15_tired.gif

Lanrutcon

Got my Monk to 70 last night, time to actually start playing the fun part of the game. Never played a Monk before so I'm looking forward to finding out what the sets are about.

I'm already missing my DH though :(, I'll probably roll a DH once I've run into a wall with my Monk and I have some nice exp gear.

There is only one set.

It allows you to explode things.

All the things.

10 yards is really not that big but whatever as long as we have someting
There's no reason only WD should be able to exploit this stat because they get a broken mojo but fuck every other class you have to walk to pick up orbs and gold
rage.gif

or make people able to enchant both primary and secondary stat on any item given, that i'd be fine with but it could be a bit too strong I feel

Firemind

You know what is the literal worst? Waiting 30 seconds for rifts to close.

Oh, and the Act V clear sewer full of fucking rats bounty.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The worst is when multiple elites in a pack are using that damn ice burst magic on an icy white/blue ground. My invul escape move is only once every 15 seconds! I hate needing to run around that shit and then just wait because I'm melee.

Radec

Lé Blade Runner;177305633 said:
It's still the greatest thing ever.

The moment when some creep with a huge glowing hand on its head dies, the chain reaction of things blowing up to pieces is amazing.

ZenaxPure

Holy shit that's dumb. Just buff skill damage. All these sets effectively multiplying skill damage by 100-1000 times with virtually no in between.

Game is in dire need of a number crunch

I mean that's kind of the dark reality of loot games though, loot is just there to make your numbers bigger in 99% of situations. It's why I've never been attached to the loot hunt of these kind of games like other people (and one of the reasons I was able to put around 600 hours into vanilla D3 and had an insane amount of fun with it). One of the things I've absolutely hated about Reaper of Souls is Blizzard removing things a class could do naturally through proper skill selection and forcing you to farm a full set of gear to accomplish that now, just isn't fun at all as far as I'm concerned.

That's not to say everything is bad, stuff like leapquake and ulianas are creative and couldn't be accomplished in the original skill system with the runes we had available, but, those sets are in the minority.

MrDaravon

Super late, but thanks to fenderputty and SerpentMage (and I forget the 4th sorry ;_;) for carrying my T2/3 DH through a handful of T6-8 rifts last night. Seriously gained like 15 levels, and that ridiculous ancient 1-hander that Serpent gave me took my DPS from 702k to 957k LOL. Still have shit for sets but that alone will bump me up a few.

I mean that's kind of the dark reality of loot games though, loot is just there to make your numbers bigger in 99% of situations. It's why I've never been attached to the loot hunt of these kind of games like other people (and one of the reasons I was able to put around 600 hours into vanilla D3 and had an insane amount of fun with it). One of the things I've absolutely hated about Reaper of Souls is Blizzard removing things a class could do naturally through proper skill selection and forcing you to farm a full set of gear to accomplish that now, just isn't fun at all as far as I'm concerned.

That's not to say everything is bad, stuff like leapquake and ulianas are creative and couldn't be accomplished in the original skill system with the runes we had available, but, those sets are in the minority.
Wouldn't be surprised if they added a lot of strong 2p sets that prevent you from using 6p ones, making a lot of cool combinations possible
That and buff a lot of legendaries that currently suck dick (see most legendary shoulders, chest armors, pants, boots...)

Wolfie5

The moment when some creep with a huge glowing hand on its head dies, the chain reaction of things blowing up to pieces is amazing.

Yeah, I am new to monk and going for Ulianas build. I was using fire rune on EP(and most of my other skils) leveling up to lvl 70, simply because I had fire% on my gear.
I had dismissed the cold rune, until I hit 70 and read about Ulianas build. I mean damn, that is some explosive dmg. The chain reaction and everything around just explodes and dies. Pretty different from explosive dogs I had tried as a WD. So much more efficient and also a lot of fun.

And I have only 4 set Uliana and the Lions Claw. Going to try to get flow of eternity as my next upgrade so I can keep spamming SSS. The combo of SSS and EP is awesome.

I prefered using essence burn until I had 6p uliana, it works better imo because you can't rely on SSS to trigger explosions, so you have less chain reactions compared to essence burn

Lanrutcon

Yeah, I am new to monk and going for Ulianas build. I was using fire rune on EP(and most of my other skils) leveling up to lvl 70, simply because I had fire% on my gear.
I had dismissed the cold rune, until I hit 70 and read about Ulianas build. I mean damn, that is some explosive dmg. The chain reaction and everything around just explodes and dies. Pretty different from explosive dogs I had tried as a WD. So much more efficient and also a lot of fun.

And I have only 4 set Uliana and the Lions Claw. Going to try to get flow of eternity as my next upgrade so I can keep spamming SSS. The combo of SSS and EP is awesome.

Essentially the build has two parts: the 'make things go boom' part, and the 'keep you from going boom' part. Focus on getting the first part up, and then use that to farm the second part. What's lovely about the build is that getting certain milestones in your gearing pays off huge (splodey fist, ring set, cubed ring of Divine Critinating...each doubles your damage at minimum).

Radec

^
damn nice.

I have that on my non-season barb and HOTA build is a game changer in GR. You just smash things up with billions of damage. You can probably do like 2-3 smash per sec.

The best is when you go for the 5% Crit chance - broken promises build. Pair it with defensive items and skill and you'll see mobs gathering trying to kill you while you are waiting for that 100% crit chance to pop on your SSS. Then watch those blue palms to pop. The most satisfying thing I've seen in D3.

How do you guys decide what character to play? I switch all the time. :/

I just go for one that sounds cool to me and stick with it until I hit a wall and get bored. I've always been a fan of Agility so I started as a Demon Hunter(love ranged characters) and am now playing as a Monk. I generally don't switch until I hit around GR45 and it starts becoming really hard to find better gear.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Gearing up a regen monk is interesting. Ancient jewelry actually matters because you can get 30% higher regen rolls.

Xeroblade

Old Marauder which is quite a bit weaker now, Unhallowed Essence Multishot which is top tier and Natalya Strafe+Rain of Vengeance which is also top tier. So mostly, Multishot or Rain of Vengeance.

Thank you. I just hit 70 so I was wondering what gear/skills i needed to switch to.

I don't want to use my Nat's Slayer until I find a gift. Otherwise I would gimp it. Especially since it's not ancient.

Don't want to use my Yang's Recurve for the same reason.

The lack of gifts dropping might just make me stop playing this damn game. I can put up with waiting for anything else because I know I'll get it eventually via rare upgrades or Kadala... but I'm pretty sure I could go 500+ paragon levels without seeing a gift drop.

Thank you. I just hit 70 so I was wondering what gear/skills i needed to switch to.

Well early on I think you want like companion wolf, vault tumble, two random skills(can be vengeance any rune, preparation with hatred rune, marked for death with spread or hatred rune or sentries other than chain or whatever you like though those are the better options iirc), then one builder and one spender, with the spender probably being multishot with the reduced cost rune since it's the most efficient with no gear and the builder anything that gives more hatred per shot(most people use retreating shot with the cold rune I think it was, so you don't move around, get armor and it generates additional hatred iirc, it's what most endgame builds use). Then you kinda kill stuff until you start finding gear that will better define what skills you want.

Passives would be a choice of Tactical Advantage(good especially when you don't have many other options for movement speed), Blood Vengeance(great especially before you get Reaper's Wraps crafted), Steady Aim(in general a flat 20% dmg increase), Cull the Weak(if you have a reliable way to slow stuff in your skills, like say cold sentry), Custom Engineering if you went sentries and Ambush. Night Stalker and Awareness are also good I believe, but might be more specific in use and probably better for later.

Wolfie5

The best is when you go for the 5% Crit chance - broken promises build. Pair it with defensive items and skill and you'll see mobs gathering trying to kill you while you are waiting for that 100% crit chance to pop on your SSS. Then watch those blue palms to pop. The most satisfying thing I've seen in D3.

About that ring, until you actually get it, do you have gear with CC on it? I mean, I have CC on most my gear now. That means I would need to find new gear or if I can, reroll CC to something else.

How essential is that ring if I have +50% CC on my gear?

About that ring, until you actually get it, do you have gear with CC on it? I mean, I have CC on most my gear now. That means I would need to find new gear or if I can, reroll CC to something else.

How essential is that ring if I have +50% CC on my gear?

Ring is shit if you have more than 5% crit chance
I had crit chance before using it because it took me a while to get it, I just avoided "ruining" items to get the crit chance (basically keep the option to reroll crit chance for when you get the ring)
Anyway broken promises shines mostly when you have lion's claw and full uliana imo, by then you should be able to have gear without crit chance

my page if you want to have an idea what broken promises gear looks like :
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Shugga-2416/hero/64646410

Dahbomb

That ring is worthless if you have high CC. You need the lowest possible CC on your gear to make Broken Promises work.

The reason that ring is used because CDR is critical to the Uliana build. Broken Promises frees up a stat for you to use CHD + CDR +AD. Area damage is also insanely strong with the set as it is synergistic with what it's trying to do. The set scales with density.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom