• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eek5

I didn't even look at his gear. Just his build. Which would get a monk kicked out of T5+ parties because it brings nothing to the table. No EP. No MoC. No cyclone strike. His build was specifically set up to do the most single target damage possible and it lagged behind every class I found. The fact that his gear is that good only makes this worse.

Yeah I messed around w/ my lightning monk for a bit running duo just to see how a DPS monk worked in a group and I just couldn't keep up with GI-reset spirit walk because I didn't have room on my bar for dashing strike. So yeah I could buff/debuff but I couldn't get to the fight in time to do that or lay down my mediocre DPS. It was definitely the slowest time of the night (and the least fun)

eek5

I'm going off the video being linked as supposed proof that the dmg is so bad
Did a few more runs any my average is 34 seconds (granted in rift I have rampage stacks for 25 percent more damage)

As for my barb's gear:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Finicky-2766/hero/42871032

that guy has a sunkeeper (I would gain about 15-20 percent dmg from there over my monarch) and 200str on his necklace over me
I have my trifecta rrog over him

My gear is as good as maxed, str from a perfect leg lottery necklace and a perfect sunkeeper would gain me maybe 20 percent dmg)

As for the small aoe on your spenders, that's the same problem CA dhs have and that makes them rather garbage in a lot of situations too and is a legitimate problem

I was just responding to the video being brought up as some kind of proof that monk dps sucks because he takes 36sec to ghom and a WD takes 10, that is some poor reasoning imo

All in all ,you are right, 36 sec is too long with his gear and I overestimated it
(that 5sec crusader kill was with the 6 percent of total hp as damage weapon I assume, there is a 5sec monk kill on youtube with that weapon too :p)

Monk is in a good place.

You're right. Monk is fine.

I edited my last post to clarify, I've been agreeing with you the entire time except that EP spec is a rad spec and you're noone's bitch and that ghom is a shitty way to measure dps especially comparing it to WD
(e.g DH looks like a boss on ghom but is pretty shitty in practice since you have to move and lose all your dps for every little thing and have the rather pityful aoe on CA)
The problems monk has are shared by many other classes to some extent, blizzard didn't put a whole lot of testing or thought into the current abilities and sets :\

cdyhybrid

Oh shit, Burning Axe of Sankis dropped! Goodbye STR-less Mad Monarch!

r2lCCwI.png

-_-

Fuck this game.

Weapon rolls are so depressing
the amount of no main stat no socket azurewraths I found.. also my only 2 odyns ever had no str no socket when I was lightning:(

This stems back to my initial complaint though. While EP is rad, a vac monk build has been standard LONG before RoS.

The comparison to Ghom was too see single target DPS and see if there's a viable solo option. I even said I was impressed he got him down in 36 seconds. Once I looked further though, I noticed that build worked for Ghom and him only. It literally would not work on anything else accept for maybe azmodan.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Just run unholy monk spec noob.
200m crit! OMGWTFBBQ OP spec !!!11!ONEONE!!

Let's see, why did they decide to use Fists of Thunder, which has a relatively low proc rate, with this proc-focused build?

"- Darker tinted Lightning effect fits the theme well"

Amazing

This stems back to my initial complaint though. While EP is rad, a vac monk build has been standard LONG before RoS.

Yeah, the whole "monks are in a good place" statement really depends on the cyclone strike + exploding palm combo with Area Damage. Mantras don't cut it - Barbs are just as good with war cry for defense, and Wizards have Elemental Exposure which adds more damage than Overawe on its own, combined with Conflagration and Time Warp bubble.

I feel for you man, I hope blizzard will give a fuck and do something about it next patch
With so few people playing monk maybe they'll take notice, that's their method usually... look at some graph of player counts and populatiry then nerf the top 10 percent and buff the bottom 10 percent.

I feel for you man, I hope blizzard will give a fuck and do something about it next patch
With so few people playing monk maybe they'll take notice, that's their method usually... look at some graph of player counts and populatiry then nerf the top 10 percent and buff the bottom 10 percent.

Honestly that's why I rolled a DH and have also been playing a bunch of WD. Blizz's recent comment regarding monk was super depressing.

Shifty76

Shouldn't have read the past few pages. Was planning to play some Monk this weekend. Currently sitting at T1 level.
Monk is absolutely fine up to around T4. Past that you hit the brick wall where you either need perfect rolls on gear or you decide "screw it I'll just go zdps spec instead"

Shouldn't have read the past few pages. Was planning to play some Monk this weekend. Currently sitting at T1 level.

Don't get me wrong. I love monk. Last time I played him someone actually said, "hey thanks for doing all that monky stuff!"

There's a lot of fun skills and builds viable at t4 and lower too. Just don't go in expecting those fun builds to last until high torments.

Just play WD

Which is kinda funny for me because they were the shittiest class for the longest time.

The Cowboy

1st solo T4 on my Wizard, zero deaths and around 15/20 mins to kill guardian (plus the 1st 2 areas where very sparse), around 30 mins for the full clear - crap for drops and all converted souls used for rerolling = crap (it just loves to dish out that god dammed vit, vit, vit).

It was a lot more fun though, T3 was getting a bit boring just standing around while shooting, with T4 I had to teleport around quite a bit during the fights (especially when I pulled the guardian and 2 yellow elites at the same time).

Worst part about playing another class is trying to get ANOTHER Cindercoat. At 6500 on my Wizard now. Will easily surpass what I spent to get one for my DH probably.

Discobird

Worst part about playing another class is trying to get ANOTHER Cindercoat. At 6500 on my Wizard now. Will easily surpass what I spent to get one for my DH probably.

I'm still trying to get a Tasker & Theo for my DH and I'm not looking forward to getting one for my WD down the road

ferr

finally can leave my yellow amulet with no fire dmg behind. after 2 weeks of giving shards to kadala for amulets, i did one act I bounty and got this,

JFnJsBk.png

now i just need nat boots and mara pants. and calamity.. which is where my shards will probably go to now.

eek5

As long as you're fine playing T1-4 then you will have a good time. The only thing left for my monks is refining them to be more efficient T3/4 farming so they can get even more efficient T3/4 farming... and that's it. That's EOL.

If you want to eventually do T6 and shit then you should look elsewhere.

We decided to consolidate all 3 of the NA GAF clans into one. This was mainly due to the huge number of inactives in each clan.

The new clan is called NeoGAF. You can request an invite from any of the officers in game or just ask around in GAF community chat. Should be easy to get in.

Thanks!

I do try to play every day, of course I am also going out of town for the next 5 days.

cdyhybrid

What's the fastest way to farm gold? Done blowing millions of gold trying to turn trash legendaries into marginal upgrades. Just gonna focus on crafting gems and save my rolls for actual upgrades.

eek5

So I really want to get my Barb to 70 now that I found a Thunderfury. I'm at 63 now. Are there any "fast" ways these days?

Fastest is join power level community, find T6 hell rift in your game then invite people to clear for you. ~2 levels per hell rift to get you to 67.

You can also find miner/misers which are easy xp (no need to kill aything) along the way then switch to that after 67 and/or RIF for the last 3 levels.

What's the fastest way to farm gold? Done blowing millions of gold trying to turn trash legendaries into marginal upgrades. Just gonna focus on crafting gems and save my rolls for actual upgrades.

If you can clear up to level 66 t6 games, join power level community and clear hell rifts for people. You get 100k gold for ~level 10 hell rifts up to 400k+ for the ones over 63 or so. Since people announce when they find hell rift games you don't have to reload your game to find them so you can just clear hell rift after hell rift non stop.

Alternatively you can just RIF which is great gold for no work as well.

RDreamer

Honestly that's why I rolled a DH and have also been playing a bunch of WD. Blizz's recent comment regarding monk was super depressing.

Yeah I've played my DH and Crusader a lot more than my Monk by now. I still kind of have monk as my main, but it's kind of frustrating to do. I'm not even at endgame, though. There are a ton of improvements I could do to mine, it's just that it's so fucking hard to find them. I've got the shittiest luck so the best weapon I've found has been the Fulminator. No thunder furies or odyn sons. I really doubt I'll get those for a long long time.

The problem with getting improvements on my monk though has been the amount of stats that need to be in place to find one. After tons of hours I just found a legendary bracer to replace my rare one. That's because my rare one had Lightning damage, crit, dex, bit, and lightning resist. I had a lot of bracers close to that, but usually missing one of those things. I mean I could go without some of those stats on some pieces, but I get really worried. When I stack defense passives and hit like 16 million toughness for higher torments I still get chewed up more than I'm comfortable with. If I dropped those things I'd be cream. My DH meanwhile I was messing around on T3 with only 5 million toughness (just playing with some mara's stuff that added a bit of damage but MASSIVELY tanked my toughness).

Monk's just too fucking hard to gear. I wanted to play around with a new spec and welp, nothing fucking works because the resists are all wrong. So I'm a paper target for all the mobs. I was able to change my crusader spec in a half hour when I wanted to change to blessed shield, and he didn't suffer for it. My monk however, would. Just too much to spec for.

eek5

Yeah I've played my DH and Crusader a lot more than my Monk by now. I still kind of have monk as my main, but it's kind of frustrating to do. I'm not even at endgame, though. There are a ton of improvements I could do to mine, it's just that it's so fucking hard to find them. I've got the shittiest luck so the best weapon I've found has been the Fulminator. No thunder furies or odyn sons. I really doubt I'll get those for a long long time.

The problem with getting improvements on my monk though has been the amount of stats that need to be in place to find one. After tons of hours I just found a legendary bracer to replace my rare one. That's because my rare one had Lightning damage, crit, dex, bit, and lightning resist. I had a lot of bracers close to that, but usually missing one of those things. I mean I could go without some of those stats on some pieces, but I get really worried. When I stack defense passives and hit like 16 million toughness for higher torments I still get chewed up more than I'm comfortable with. If I dropped those things I'd be cream. My DH meanwhile I was messing around on T3 with only 5 million toughness (just playing with some mara's stuff that added a bit of damage but MASSIVELY tanked my toughness).

Monk's just too fucking hard to gear. I wanted to play around with a new spec and welp, nothing fucking works because the resists are all wrong. So I'm a paper target for all the mobs. I was able to change my crusader spec in a half hour when I wanted to change to blessed shield, and he didn't suffer for it. My monk however, would. Just too much to spec for.

The problem is dex IMO. If they fixed that it would be fine. On STR/INT chars you don't even care about AR roll. As long as you have main stat you can get away with a lot. If you have main+vit you are pretty much solid. Monk needs 5 rolls for a piece to be good. Other classes really only need 3 and the 4th is gravy. Broke as fuck yo

cdyhybrid

If you can clear up to level 66 t6 games, join power level community and clear hell rifts for people. You get 100k gold for ~level 10 hell rifts up to 400k+ for the ones over 63 or so. Since people announce when they find hell rift games you don't have to reload your game to find them so you can just clear hell rift after hell rift non stop.

Alternatively you can just RIF which is great gold for no work as well.

Don't think I can do anything on T6, my gear is only good enough to do T1 with decent efficiency...and I hate farming rift keys (I usually run rifts and invite people from RIF for free rifts -_-).

Damnit.

eek5

Don't think I can do anything on T6, my gear is only good enough to do T1 with decent efficiency...and I hate farming rift keys (I usually run rifts and invite people from RIF for free rifts -_-).

Damnit.

T1 players can easily clear low level t6 games which is what I'm suggesting.

MrDaravon

The problem is dex IMO. If they fixed that it would be fine. On STR/INT chars you don't even care about AR roll. As long as you have main stat you can get away with a lot. If you have main+vit you are pretty much solid. Monk needs 5 rolls for a piece to be good. Other classes really only need 3 and the 4th is gravy. Broke as fuck yo

Yeah, adding some kind of base mitigation with Dex would be great. DH has the same problem but even worse since while DH gets Perfectionist, we don't have the "problem" of trying to get secondary resists which is a stupid problem, but at least something in theory you can achieve as a Monk. To do T5/T6 you pretty much have to socket Diamonds as a DH, and even with pretty good gear/resists and Diamonds I can only achieve around 1200-1300 AR which is pretty bleh.

That said, at least with RoS the DH (I'm sure somewhat unintentionally) kinda fits the original idea/concept for the class where we can now at least potentially hang at the highest difficulties by outdamaging enemies before they can close in, or at least shortly thereafter, at the cost of being fairly squishy. I had nearly perfect gear in Vanilla both dps and ehp-wise but even with that I could only do MP10 like everyone else with a completely absurd grenades build that took for fucking ever and was ridiculous. In a weird way our roles have been reversed with RoS, so I feel your pain bro :(. I enjoy my Monk and I'm continuing to mess around with her, but I don't see getting to endgame with her without some changes occurring.

Related: I found these two items while trash farming bounties on my Monk the other day:

nrcZ63Z.jpg
N6Bvkqv.jpg

I actually never did the TR build in vanilla, but I'm guessing that the Daibo there is probably the best weapon to do that with in RoS? Also would that Spirit Stone be a good companion to go with it, roll the Armor to CC? Mainly thinking of running normal bounties with my Monk using TR to try to get some legs for her since she's fairly new, have a few slots that non-Torment legs can fill. Also can someone actually link me to the TR build? I actually have no idea what the full setup for it is.

IlludiumQ36

Weapon rolls are so depressing
the amount of no main stat no socket azurewraths I found.. also my only 2 odyns ever had no str no socket when I was lightning:(

Blizzard, in their infinite wisdom, deemed the damage roll to count against the four possible primary affix slots. While this is advantageous for those who get the combo main-stat/socket roll on a weapon drop (the damage can be re-rolled at the mystic), it makes 99.99% of weapons garbage. It should have been both re-rollable, AND not count against primary leaving an extra roll for chance at socket. At the very least it could be like sources and mojos where damage isn't adjustable, but doesn't count against the 4 primaries.

Shifty76

Regarding the relative uselessness of dex: How about being boring and having each point give 0.5 armour and 0.05 resist all?

Assuming 8k dex that'd be 4k armour (vs 8k that barbs/crusaders get) and 400 resist all (vs 800 that int classes get)

That'd at least free up a couple of slots where you wouldn't NEED to stack resist and/or amour.

scy

Regarding the relative uselessness of dex: How about being boring and having each point give 0.5 armour and 0.05 resist all?

Assuming 8k dex that'd be 4k armour (vs 8k that barbs/crusaders get) and 400 resist all (vs 800 that int classes get)

That'd at least free up a couple of slots where you wouldn't NEED to stack resist and/or amour.

This is basically the easy route I hope they go for. Just seems the simplest and shouldn't break anything in the game.

Dahbomb

Then what do they do about Dodge?

Ingeniero

I found this in a T3 Rift:
I'm very happy, I rerolled VIT for the HotA bonnus... or maybe CC is better?
I think HotA with Smash benefits double with this, the16% fire plus the 15% bonnus.
Thoughts?

lLpNy2t.jpg

Then what do they do about Dodge?

Dex should innately include armor in it. So say, even if you take damage you don't take all of it because you're so agile its like a parry or something :lol

So half armor half dodge contribution

Sieze the Initiative can be like the keystone from PoE where all dex is converted to armor but you can't dodge anymore. Everyone would probably use that anyway

Dahbomb

Drop the whole mechanic. Just leave a little note in the flavour description for dex that says it increases defense by making it harder to land a solid hit on your character.
What about the skills and abilities that increase your Dodge chance?

Seems like they have to do a full remake on the skills, items and stats just to fix Dodge that way.

Mumei

Well I know it's not a totally fair comparison. Nor do I expect a monk to be on equal footing DPS wise to a WD for various reasons. A quick google search found a barb doing it in 25 seconds. A crusader doing it in like 4-5 seconds. A WD in 6. A DH in like 6-7. I didn't look for a wiz.

This is the video I was talking about before. I was at work so I couldn't look for it.

eek5

nrcZ63Z.jpg
N6Bvkqv.jpg

I actually never did the TR build in vanilla, but I'm guessing that the Daibo there is probably the best weapon to do that with in RoS? Also would that Spirit Stone be a good companion to go with it, roll the Armor to CC? Mainly thinking of running normal bounties with my Monk using TR to try to get some legs for her since she's fairly new, have a few slots that non-Torment legs can fill. Also can someone actually link me to the TR build? I actually have no idea what the full setup for it is.

That daibo isn't bad but I'd probably take one with 5+ spirit regen on it instead. That way you won't need epiph to infinite TR although you could use northern breeze to get the cost to 8 (20% savings) and increase dmg which might be OK.

The other runes aren't very good.

The helm I wouldn't use for TR. You don't stand around much and with Guardian's Path you won't need that.

As far as farming goes I'd use firestorm sweeping wind to kill trash while you TR then use epiph in between to regen spirit if you run low. Your clones should one shot everything with a 2H so just use firestorm in between. Eventually when you get your CDR high enough you can drop firestorm completely and do a near-infinite epiphany shadow clone thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom