• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry, Black Myth: Wukong - PS5 Tech Review - Excellent Visuals, But Too Many Tech Problems

Gonzito

The second rocky zone is WAY rougher than the first zone texture wise, this is where the difference with hb2 becomes more noticeable.

I am right now in the second area playing on pc with everything at ultra and the rock textures are awful. It reminds me a lot to FF7 Rebirth. I cant believe that UE5 still have issues with low resolution textures on top of the bad stuttering.

I am starting to hate unreal engine in general

Imtjnotu

Please walk into oncoming traffic 😂
Boombox Shut Up GIF

Hugare

- Latency is a big issue. Input response of a 30 FPS game with a frame-gen image of a 60.

I'll never understand the reasoning here

Sure, 60 fps would feel better. But you would rather play something that feels and looks 30 FPS, or something that only feels like 30 but looks 60? At least they give you the option for more motion fluidity instead of framey 30 FPS.

And despite all the flaws, the game still looks bonkers on my PS5. Easily one of this gen's best.

Stafford

Well damn, a long patching path forward. Doesn't fill me with confidence Xbox version will be ready anytime soon. Ah well, I was taking into account early 2025 already, it is what it is.

Stafford

Ironically, the Xbox would not have had any problem with the Balance mode at all.
120hz and VRR are system level settings, and with a 40-120hz range with LFC, Xbox can do 45fps flawlessly.

If that's true then I am all for it. I don't know much about all this tech stuff. But I do know Xbox still has the better VRR. And VRR can go a long way.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ironically, the Xbox would not have had any problem with the Balance mode at all.
120hz and VRR are system level settings, and with a 40-120hz range with LFC, Xbox can do 45fps flawlessly.

I think I own 2 games that for some weird reason have a cap at 45 FPS. 1 is Arkham Collection but just Arkham Asylum in that collection, City is locked at 30. The second is the Xbox 360 port of Condemned Criminal Origins (The first one), for some reason, that game is locked at 45 FPS. A consistent FPS with VRR at least means there's no judder like trying to divide 45 FPS into a 60hz container, and yes like you said, it looks smooth. A lot more smoother than 30 FPS.

Last edited:

Crayon

Haha and I thought the infrequent tiny stutters on my pc were a problem.

And we got people still saying no need for a PS5 pro!

intbal

I think I own 2 games that for some weird reason have a cap at 45 FPS. 1 is Arkham Collection but just Arkham Asylum in that collection, City is locked at 30. The second is the Xbox 360 port of Condemned Criminal Origins (The first one), for some reason, that game is locked at 45 FPS. A consistent FPS with VRR at least means there's no judder like trying to divide 45 FPS into a 60hz container, and yes like you said, it looks smooth. A lot more smoother than 30 FPS.
I have Return to Arkham. I have an older Freesync monitor with a 40-60hz range. On Xbox One X, that game does have a 45fps cap, although it jumps up and down a bit. I'm not sure if that's the game, or the monitor's implementation isn't good enough to stay at the same rate. I've never tried it on my Series X. Should probably do that.
I don't have Condemned, but I saw NXGamer's video about it. He confirmed the 45fps cap for that one.

GHG

With all the traversal stutter along with areas like this:

mU59uw8.jpeg

7rNyDuq.jpeg

It's not even a consistent 45 fps.

They would have been better off going with a 40fps VRR mode for 120hz screens. A 45fps cap makes no sense unless you're targeting a 90hz display.

It just seems like it's their first time doing anything at all on console, and this is the outcome.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

The real culprit: Xbox Series S holding back the generation.

Yep. And cross-gen too.

Black Myth isn't either and runs like shit. FFVII Rebirth wasn't either and runs like shit.
Haha and I thought the infrequent tiny stutters on my pc were a problem.

And we got people still saying no need for a PS5 pro!

But by what margins is the Pro going to improve games like these? I reckon it will still be an uneven mess, perhaps somewhat higher internal resolutions for its modes, and perhaps a little more stable performance. But I don't expect this console to make Black Myth anything close to flawless.

tommib

Gold Member
Oh, no. I hope the devs don’t cap the unlocked quality mode for the “consistent” 30 fps because of these idiots.

Last edited:

Crayon

But by what margins is the Pro going to improve games like these? I reckon it will still be an uneven mess, perhaps somewhat higher internal resolutions for its modes, and perhaps a little more stable performance. But I don't expect this console to make Black Myth anything close to flawless.

Idk what's flawless? And who needs it? Not being a mess would be good enough.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
- "One of the strangest game technically"

- 3 modes: Performance, Quality, Balance
- Outside of resolution, not much difference other than shadow cascades
- Lumen GI looks a bit more refined in Quality

- Game leans a lot on FSR

- Quality, DRS 1296p to 1584p. Uses FSR image up-scaling
- Doesn't look bad in stills but quite bad in motion
- Aliasing in motion not handled well, alpha textures like fur are 'a mess'
- Post processing has dithering that doesn't look good

- Balance mode is mostly the same but runs at 1080p

- Performance mode has added sharpening applied to the image
- Also runs at 1080p with possible DRS, but sharpening makes the image quality look very 'fried'
- Performance mode also uses frame generation with lots of visible artifacts
- Seems to be using frame generation / interpolation from 30 to 60 just for Performance mode

- Performance mode mostly achieves 60 FPS in traversal, with minor traversal stuttering
- But during combat, it drops frames to 40's, for one tested boss fight, frame gen is dropped in Performance mode and it runs at a consistent 40~ fps
- Latency is a big issue. Input response of a 30 FPS game with a frame-gen image of a 60.

- Balanced mode has better input latency
- Minor traversal stutter, targets 45 FPS

- Quality mode has 'the worst 30 fps cap' Oliver has ever seen, if it's meant to be a cap.
- Hovers between 31 and 36 FPS with 38 seen the highest
- It can also dip to 20's during combat

- The game does not have 120hz or native VRR support, only the forced system level one
- Quality and Balance mode do not benefit as they are both below the PS5's 48hz VRR cap

- The final stretch of the video is comparing the game with PC to show all the things PC does at max that are missing on the console.
- eg particles, lower texture quality, geometry pop-in, lighting differences, lack of VSM, shadow quality

- DF's conclusion is that they think the game has a long patching path forward, and that this is clearly a PC-first project.
- The games facial animations in all the cut-scenes are mo-capped for chinese audio
- The game's black colors are never truly black and there is no HDR support
Gaiff Gaiff : Summary forthcoming.

adamsapple adamsapple : Okay it's my turn.

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

DavidGzz

Gold Member
You know all the PlayStation 5 Bros who are playing this are totally fine with how it plays and they think it looks really good, but then you have these people at digital foundry ruining everything for them. It's like when I told my wife the meat my mom used in the amazing tacos was cow tongue. She never wanted them again. She soft.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

And there I was thinking, only the other day. Fantasising, if only I could be a hairy monkey. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
With all the traversal stutter along with areas like this:

mU59uw8.jpeg

7rNyDuq.jpeg

It's not even a consistent 45 fps.

They would have been better off going with a 40fps VRR mode for 120hz screens. A 45fps cap makes no sense unless you're targeting a 90hz display.

It just seems like it's their first time doing anything at all on console, and this is the outcome.

Yeah there's a few easy fixes that I think should be in the first couple of patches. A 40fps lock instead of 45 for starters, but even that's gonna be kinda useless without 120hz support.

Pop

DF is being very picky with these comparisons.

There are other channels at there comparing the two platforms. PS5 looks very good when you don't ultra zoom in on one spot. Performance is 60 fps and Balanced is 45 on average. Of course there's fucking dips

Again DF is misleading

tommib

Gold Member
Gaiff Gaiff : Summary forthcoming.

adamsapple adamsapple : Okay it's my turn.

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey
And 10 minutes after when the video is half an hour. For a less reinterpreted analysis, you can go here:

Performance mode is also the only mode to use FSR 3 frame generation, which allows it to target 60fps - and achieve it most of the time, despite some (better-than-PC) traversal stutters and hard drops to 40fps in demanding scenes.
Overall, the 60fps performance mode is the best way to play the game, but none of the three modes feels well configured for the PS5, and significant improvements could be made to each.

It can be interesting to look at how PS5 games perform against PC, and in this case we're specifically comparing the PS5 version to the PC version running at 4K with DLSS performance mode, no frame gen, cinematic settings and full ray tracing set to very high. You need a very fast rig for this, so is the PS5 able to deliver an appreciably similar experience at a fraction of the cost?
That shouldn't take away from the PS5 version, which does look better than other Souls-like titles on PS5 in terms of its lighting, models, particles, animation and character designs. Even as an early UE5 game that switched from UE4 in the midst of development, it delivers a jaw-dropping level of visual quality in naturalistic environments with amazing materials and dense models. This is one of the best-looking games that we've seen all year.
Ultimately then, the solutions Game Science has chosen for the PS5 version in terms of indirect lighting, reflections and shadows all work reasonably well - players aren't being left behind on a feature level.

Audiophile

Haven't watched the DF video yet, but every video I've seen of this so far is completely undermined by the image quality around DoF, fast motion, particles and aliasing just completely disintegrating like someone has gone over it with a cheese grater. I really hope PSSR can save the day on this one on the Pro.

There's a real problem across games where temporal instability just seems to be accepted. If your game can't retain >1080p with ML-based upscaling or >1440p with spatial/temporal upscaling while also performing decent anti-aliasing at all times then I frankly consider the game broken at this point. IQ is significantly worse in many games this gen than the last gen imo.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
The PS5 performance seems to be the best way to play. FSR is really the culprit, they should patch the game to offer other options.

I think it's reasonable for folks to say that the game runs alright for them on PS5, after all, people with a beefy 4090 is a very tiny portion.

And I don't think folks with high end PCs would consider the console version anyway. except that I bought both, lol, just to support the dev.

Kydd BlaZe

Im not worried about IQ stuff since im waiting to play on the Pro but the lack of HDR for such an artistically pleasing game is borderline deal breaker. I hope they correct in time for Pro release.
Yeah I can't play anything that doesn't have HDR nowadays. Literally a deal breaker for me. This is certainly dissapointing to hear.

Zathalus

DF is being very picky with these comparisons.

There are other channels at there comparing the two platforms. PS5 looks very good when you don't ultra zoom in on one spot. Performance is 60 fps and Balanced is 45 on average. Of course there's fucking dips

Again DF is misleading
Lol, the game looks terrible on everything outside of quality mode. FSR destroying the image is clearly noticeable. Facts are facts, don’t try and blame DF for pointing out the obvious.

The PS5 performance seems to be the best way to play. FSR is really the culprit, they should patch the game to offer other options.

I think it's reasonable for folks to say that the game runs alright for them on PS5, after all, people with a beefy 4090 is a very tiny portion.

And I don't think folks with high end PCs would consider the console version anyway. except that I bought both, lol, just to support the dev.
I mean, how can you patch the PS5 version of the game to offer other options besides FSR? It uses an AMD Zen 2 GPU, there is literally no other option unless you're going to try and use UE5's native TSR

There's a reason why Sony developed their own PSSR option for PS5 Pro, because AMD is just so bad at everything so they had to do it themselves and that's not going to help the base PS5

GHG

Yeah there's a few easy fixes that I think should be in the first couple of patches. A 40fps lock instead of 45 for starters, but even that's gonna be kinda useless without 120hz support.

I'm surprised DF didn't put two and two together here.

90hz refresh rates are common on modern mobile phones and as a result there's been an increase in the number of mobile games that have a 45fps mode to support those screens.

Considering gamescience are a new studio, and the most popular gaming (and game dev) platform in China is the mobile phone, it's not unlikely that they will have a bunch of ex-mobile devs there working on this game. It's like they've just gone and thrown in a 45fps mode because it's what they are used to without considering why they offer 45fps modes for mobile games.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I mean, how can you patch the PS5 version of the game to offer other options besides FSR? It uses an AMD Zen 2 GPU, there is literally no other option unless you're going to try and use UE5's native TSR

There's a reason why Sony developed their own PSSR option for PS5 Pro, because AMD is just so bad at everything so they had to do it themselves and that's not going to help the base PS5
Yes, from some tech reviews I watched it appears TSR works better for ghosting, and AMD hardware should be able to run XeSS as well. Or at least give more controls on FSR in the menu.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
most console owners are fine, we are not that picky.
Thats the good thing about gaming on console, you always have lower expectations.

Top Bottom