• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry, Black Myth: Wukong - PS5 Tech Review - Excellent Visuals, But Too Many Tech Problems

Sleepwalker

MtZ9N.gif

Im all for the pro but expecting a chinese studio to go back and patch the game specifically for a pro that hasnt even been announced is comedy gold lol

Yes, from some tech reviews I watched it appears TSR works better for ghosting, and AMD hardware should be able to run XeSS as well. Or at least give more controls on FSR in the menu.
TSR is generally better for ghosting because it's basically just TAA, that's why no one really chooses to use TSR unless they are already running at native res

Shader-based XeSS is incredibly performance intensive, that's why even PC gamers with AMD GPU's will not use it for games which push hardware, the XeSS which runs on actual Intel ARC is different and uses the special hardware unit same as Nvidia DLSS

Neither solution is workable for what Wukong is trying to accomplish on PS5 and the problem exists with other PS5 games which use FSR which is why Sony developed PSSR because the problem is that bad

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Watching the game run normally without all the extra zooms or slow motions to highlight the issues, the game seems pretty fine to me. But i was also not expecting it to look the same as the PC version. So thers that.

PCMR will force you to hate what you are seeing and liking. Not sure why, but it's what some of them do.

Zuzu

It’s technically bad across every mode. Quality mode isn’t locked to 30fps so it’s got uneven frame pacing. Balanced mode aims for 45fps which is a bad target that is completely unsuitable for 60hz tvs and there’s no LFC VRR to make it better for 120hz tvs. Performance mode has bad image quality due to frame generation being used in addition to fsr and is horribly over-sharpened. And on top of that this mode has poor input latency that feels like a 30fps game. Just bad all round.

Senua

Gold Member
nothing wrong with low expectations, its just a video game, sometimes PCMR gets way too upset with some minor performance issues.
Theres more important things going on in real life.
It just depends how sensitive you are to these things, my GF for example could not give a shit about framerate dips or resolution, she just likes to game. I on the other hand can't stand microstutter or a single FPS drop (without VRR).

One thing that surprises me though is how many enthusiasts couldn't give a shit about performance, especially on gaf. I'm jealous of that trait but I notice the shit way too much

ReBurn

Gold Member
Many thanks to the PS5 console beta testers 🫡. I'll wait for some patches before I pick it up. I wish I had a better gaming PC.

Bojji

Using Frame Gen sub 60fps input is desperate whether you use Nvidia or AMD's solution. FSR Performance mode + AMD Frame Gen combined is an image quality disaster. This game is one of the greatest sales pitch for buying a PC.

Exactly, I don't what they were thinking with setups like that.

First, why use FSR when TSR that is much better is not much more expensive?

Second, frame gen from 30fps base... what the fuck? It starts to get good from 50fps base.

If they couldn't get decent IQ and 60 fps they should drop that mode all together. Have 30FPS mode and 40fps mode with 120hz output and that's it.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Exactly, I don't what they were thinking with setups like that.

First, why use FSR when TSR that is much better is not much more expensive?

Second, frame gen from 30fps base... what the fuck? It starts to get good from 50fps base.

If they couldn't get decent IQ and 60 fps they should drop that mode all together. Have 30FPS mode and 40fps mode with 120hz output and that's it.

They knew people would cry if their wasn't a 60fps mode on consoles and got the job done by any means necessary. For the casual consumer ignorance is bliss. DF are bringers of light. People want to get mad at them for taking the jam out of their donut, but it is what it is. Truth hurts.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Im all for the pro but expecting a chinese studio to go back and patch the game specifically for a pro that hasnt even been announced is comedy gold lol

What do you mean "go back"? Developers work on unreleased/unannounced hardware all the time. They don't wait for a public reveal. It's likely already done or in progress as we speak.

LordOfChaos

Yeah, even before this I immediately though the motion and especially weapon impacts looked very FSR-ey. Sounds like it's particularly heavy on that with the frame gen because it's abusing that technique to get to 60fps from a lower base framerate, making for visible generated frames

Last edited:

Justin9mm

For me there has to be a balance of performance vs graphical fidelity/image quality. I don't expect 4K visuals, but I also don't expect a spectacle such as this to have image quality issues that takes you out of immersion. Quality mode rendering a minimum of 1296p and not able to consistently hit 30 fps means it is poorly optimised. PS5 hardware is more capable. They really need to fix this, I praise them for putting out a great game but the performance for a leading current gen console is unacceptable.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Thanks. Guess i won’t be buying on console. Thank god PC version didn’t get held back here

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Most people don't give a shit or even notice the difference
In this game, I dunno. A friend of mine who really doesn’t care about those things but loves action games told me the controls feel laggy and the dodge is off. I suspect it’s due to frame generation increasing the latency of an already high base 30fps.

dotnotbot

So basically it’s a knockoff piece of Chinese garbage

Always has been

Retail looks nowhere near as good as what they were showing previously. Almost Ubisoft level of downgrade. Look at the flames, lighting, colors etc. Even fluidity of animations took a hit.

I know it's PS5 version on the right but PC maxed doesn't look much better when it comes to flames or fur or animations etc. (can't find gameplay with no DLSS and RTX off)

Last edited:

Three

So how's it running well on Steamdeck, but not the PS5?
Exactly, it isn't. steamdeck is hitting 45fps WITH framegen on, at low-medium settings, not even in combat. Has all the same dithering/artifact issues seen on PC/PS5. It's bizarre. They're also saying things like "you don't need an expensive PC", and "this scales so well" when it doesn't really, the minor things that people are calling "a mess" (dithering, sub 60fps drops, FSR artifacts) are all present on medium and even some high end PC hardware with some added stutter. What changes exactly?

Last edited:

Skifi28

Exactly, it isn't. steamdeck is hitting 45fps WITH framegen on, at low-medium settings, not even in combat. Has all the same dithering/artifact issues seen on PC/PS5. It's bizarre. They're also saying things like "you don't need an expensive PC", and "this scales so well" when it doesn't really, the minor things that people are calling "a mess" (dithering, sub 60fps drops, FSR artifacts) are all present on medium and even some high end PC hardware with some added stutter. What changes exactly?
It's the usual "30fps on console is unplayable" but "30fps on Steam deck is smooth". From what I've seen, it runs quite bad on the deck.

What changes is the Steam Deck is a portable handheld gaming device that you hold in your hands and play

GAF is also pointlessly hard on the Switch for the same reason, as if a tiny ass device you hold in your hands is supposed to compare to the console under your TV or the big fucking fire breathing gaming PC you built for $2000

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's upsetting to read. We need the pro etc.

Basically the UE5 tech demo that sold us on these systems is not coming to fruition and instead of holding console manufacturers to task we just say I need a pro.

This generation has been wack for consoles and the answer is to throw more money at console manufacturers?

Wowza.

Skifi28

It's upsetting to read. We need the pro etc.

Basically the UE5 tech demo that sold us on these systems is not coming to fruition and instead of holding console manufacturers to task we just say I need a pro.

This generation has been wack for consoles and the answer is to throw more money at console manufacturers?

Wowza.
The unreal demo was 30fps. Unreal games on console have been mostly fine at 30fps, excluding baffling design decisions like Wukong. Pro consoles are needed for 60fps + lumen + a decent resolution in unreal 5 games (which is clearly too much for the current hardware) that was never promised to work flawlessly by neither epic nor console manufacturers.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The unreal demo was 30fps. Unreal games on console have been mostly fine at 30fps, excluding baffling design decisions like Wukong. Pro consoles are needed for 60fps + lumen + a decent resolution in unreal 5 games (which is clearly too much for the current hardware) that was never promised to work flawlessly by neither epic nor console manufacturers.

This is not hitting 60fps on a pro console and the image quality is absolutely terrible compared to that demo.

FSR3 didn't even exist back then.

We were sold lies once again and lapped it up.

This is not hitting 60fps on a pro console and the image quality is absolutely terrible compared to that demo.

FSR3 didn't even exist back then.

We were sold lies once again and lapped it up.
I'm not sure who was being lied to, everyone knew the specs of the PS5 hardware and what that hardware is capable of in games. I love Unreal Engine tech demos as much as the next man but I don't think they magically make hardware specs better than they are

GymWolf

Gold Member
I am right now in the second area playing on pc with everything at ultra and the rock textures are awful. It reminds me a lot to FF7 Rebirth. I cant believe that UE5 still have issues with low resolution textures on top of the bad stuttering.

I am starting to hate unreal engine in general
They are not all bad, just super inconsistent.

Top Bottom