• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry, Black Myth: Wukong - PS5 Tech Review - Excellent Visuals, But Too Many Tech Problems

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The big difference people are missing here about pc gaming is that even with an entry level 1200 dollar pc that will be close to the pro plus ps5 moneys you can lay down
You can TWEAK the settings to get a consistent 60 fps in gameplay with improved input latency.

So while console gamers accept cut down graphics for the ease of a console, why not accept lower graphics settings with much better performance and playability thanks to that?

Last edited:

Skifi28

This is not hitting 60fps on a pro console and the image quality is absolutely terrible compared to that demo.

FSR3 didn't even exist back then.

We were sold lies once again and lapped it up.

Very disingenuous to be using Wukong as an example of unreal engine on console to make your point, possibly the worst example of it yet. FSR is not needed as TSR is much superior, again some baffling design decisions for this game. The only way for pro console to not hit 60fps would be if the game was CPU limited. Is it? I don't know, other UE5 games already have 60fps modes on the base machines.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Very disingenuous to be using Wukong as an example of unreal engine on console to make your point, possibly the worst example of it yet. FSR is not needed as TSR is much superior, again some baffling design decisions for this game. The only way for pro console to not hit 60fps would be if the game was CPU limited. Is it? I don't know, other UE5 games already have 60fps modes on the base machines.

The only really great example of ue5 on console is hellblade 2 I think.quite ironic really.

I'm sure the next gears will be a Showcase too.

Duchess

I'm looking forward to seeing the Series S version. It's probably going to look like you're playing it while wearing a pair of glasses, smeared with Vaseline ...

Three

What changes is the Steam Deck is a portable handheld gaming device that you hold in your hands and play

GAF is also pointlessly hard on the Switch for the same reason, as if a tiny ass device you hold in your hands is supposed to compare to the console under your TV or the big fucking fire breathing gaming PC you built for $2000
I hope you don't see that as a slight against steamdeck, it's not meant to be. I'm only pointing out that UE5 has always been a performance hog with sub 60 drops on most hardware out there, that FSR has always had artifacts, and dithering and sharpening is in the game across the board on any machine bar some mod.
You can't call these, what I consider normal and minor, things a mess then say this game scales and plays fine on most hardware at the same time.

Zathalus

Exactly, it isn't. steamdeck is hitting 45fps WITH framegen on, at low-medium settings, not even in combat. Has all the same dithering/artifact issues seen on PC/PS5. It's bizarre. They're also saying things like "you don't need an expensive PC", and "this scales so well" when it doesn't really, the minor things that people are calling "a mess" (dithering, sub 60fps drops, FSR artifacts) are all present on medium and even some high end PC hardware with some added stutter. What changes exactly?
Steamdeck is shit, fully agree there, but what the PC version has that makes it better is DLSS and the ability to use a wider VRR range. Any PC that has a 3060 or better is fundamentally going to give you a better experience compared to PS5. It wouldn’t be so bad if the PS5 version used TSR and locked at a stable 40, but it doesn’t.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm looking forward to seeing the Series S version. It's probably going to look like you're playing it while wearing a pair of glasses, smeared with Vaseline ...

Pretty sure these guys are never gonna make a Series S port.
And why would you want to see the Series S version, dont you already have as PS5.....just buy the PS5 version?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So we were sold lies about the hardware and engine, except for a great example of it not being lies? Which is it?

RoboCop is a great showcase too with a 60fps mode too.

I wouldnt say robocop is close to that demo, but HB2 is yes. So one "game" has reached that level of detail and clarity with flying elements etc.

Series s version is going to be horrific for this game.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
They are not all bad, just super inconsistent.
I thought this was only on PS5. I basically had a big rock yesterday on chapter 2 that had a super high res texture on one side and something straight of a windows 98 directx 3.0 3D game next to it. I’ll take screens tonight if I bump into them again.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Glad I got this on PC.

Once again confirms that when console only gamers tell you something is "smooth", it most likely isn't.
Most console players didn't noticed returnal losing 20 to 30 frames during chaotic combat, it was a smooth experience...
I thought this was only on PS5. I basically had a big rock yesterday on chapter 2 that had a super high res texture on one side and something straight of a windows 98 directx 3.0 3D game next to it. I’ll take screens tonight if I bump into them again.
It is probably worse on console but on pc it's hardly peachy.

Duchess

Pretty sure these guys are never gonna make a Series S port.
The game is set for release on Series X, and I believe that means a Series S version is a requirement; you can't release an Xbox Series X game without also making the game available on the S.

And why would you want to see the Series S version, dont you already have as PS5.....just buy the PS5 version?
I do have a PS5, yes. Let's just call my interest in the Series S version perverse fascination.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The game is set for release on Series X, and I believe that means a Series S version is a requirement; you can't release an Xbox Series X game without also making the game available on the S.
I do have a PS5, yes. Let's just call my interest in the Series S version perverse fascination.

By the time a port is being made ATG will likely be in contact with GameScience.
So itll probably be a Buldars Gate 3 situation......considering ATG and The Coalition work very closesly together me thinks youll actually be shocked at how good a Series S port might end up.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Im not worried about IQ stuff since im waiting to play on the Pro but the lack of HDR for such an artistically pleasing game is borderline deal breaker. I hope they correct in time for Pro release.
Yeah, I thought I was just missing a setting somewhere when I started this on PC. But nope, no HDR to be seen.

Bojji

Shit 30fps mode, useless 45fps mode and high input lag (plus lot of visual noise) 60fps mode.

There is no way (for me) to play this on PS5. Meanwhile 5700XT/6700 users on PC can tweak game to run decently while console owners are on the mercy of developers (that often do stupid things).

- "One of the strangest game technically"

- 3 modes: Performance, Quality, Balance
- Outside of resolution, not much difference other than shadow cascades
- Lumen GI looks a bit more refined in Quality

- Game leans a lot on FSR

- Quality, DRS 1296p to 1584p. Uses FSR image up-scaling
- Doesn't look bad in stills but quite bad in motion
- Aliasing in motion not handled well, alpha textures like fur are 'a mess'
- Post processing has dithering that doesn't look good

- Balance mode is mostly the same but runs at 1080p

- Performance mode has added sharpening applied to the image
- Also runs at 1080p with possible DRS, but sharpening makes the image quality look very 'fried'
- Performance mode also uses frame generation with lots of visible artifacts
- Seems to be using frame generation / interpolation from 30 to 60 just for Performance mode

- Performance mode mostly achieves 60 FPS in traversal, with minor traversal stuttering
- But during combat, it drops frames to 40's, for one tested boss fight, frame gen is dropped in Performance mode and it runs at a consistent 40~ fps
- Latency is a big issue. Input response of a 30 FPS game with a frame-gen image of a 60.

- Balanced mode has better input latency
- Minor traversal stutter, targets 45 FPS

- Quality mode has 'the worst 30 fps cap' Oliver has ever seen, if it's meant to be a cap.
- Hovers between 31 and 36 FPS with 38 seen the highest
- It can also dip to 20's during combat

- The game does not have 120hz or native VRR support, only the forced system level one
- Quality and Balance mode do not benefit as they are both below the PS5's 48hz VRR cap

- The final stretch of the video is comparing the game with PC to show all the things PC does at max that are missing on the console.
- eg particles, lower texture quality, geometry pop-in, lighting differences, lack of VSM, shadow quality

- DF's conclusion is that they think the game has a long patching path forward, and that this is clearly a PC-first project.
- The games facial animations in all the cut-scenes are mo-capped for chinese audio
- The game's black colors are never truly black and there is no HDR support

GustavoLT

devs are working on it right now!!

Ape Office Monkey GIF

Office Monkey GIF

Macaco Office Monkey GIF

Last edited:

Three

Steamdeck is shit, fully agree there, but what the PC version has that makes it better is DLSS and the ability to use a wider VRR range. Any PC that has a 3060 or better is fundamentally going to give you a better experience compared to PS5. It wouldn’t be so bad if the PS5 version used TSR and locked at a stable 40, but it doesn’t.
Is this a revelation to make any games that use FSR on AMD GPUs or ones without DLSS be labelled with "too many technical problems" though? It's not like we found out about 3060 performance vs consoles, or DLSS vs FSR yesterday.
Ironically even the 3060 occasionally drops into the 20-30s when it comes to framerate:

Last edited:

Skifi28

Maybe because the warriors (often the same) repeat the same stuff about hardware prices.
You're in pretty much every thread about consoles repeating "pc pc pc". You are one of the warriors and I will never understand your hate boner or why you can't ignore something that doesn't interest you.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You're in pretty much every thread about consoles repeating "pc pc pc". You are one of the warriors and I will never understand your hate boner or why you can't ignore something that doesn't interest you.
The thread is not about consoles as PC is in the video. And I don't hate anything about this. Meanwhile the hate boner against other console(s) is pretty funny to watch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom