• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Xbox have permission now to charge $700 for their rumoured handheld?

I personally love to see Microsoft swing for the fences and an all new direction and make a kickass controller friendly gaming OS. Support multiple stores/launchers. License it out cheap to other hardware makers.

Then make a mid spec console around it at $500 and a premium version at $1000. Have a portable SKU available day one.

Give me the windows version of Steam OS, a powerful console, and a portable. Then take all my money.

Three

God please say it ain't so, but with PS5 Pro being $700 USD (more elsewhere, by a lot) does this break a glass ceiling for pricing in the console space? If Xbox releases both a handheld and a traditional console could they charge this much realistically?

Looking at the competition in both the handheld and console market, we see examples of both stretching to new heights in terms of pricing.

Granted Xbox is no where near as popular as Sony's console...but I wonder how much does this actually matters, given they've been raising their prices regardless. It would be relatively new for the PC handheld market, competing against the ROG Ally X at $800 and the Steam Deck OLED currently at $549, all of which is higher than what most are used to paying for these products within their own space (Switch at $400...Switch 2 at $???)

Where does this end up? Are people going to be priced out of the market? Will people become accustomed to the new line? (not really new, *cough 3DO cough, cough Neo Geo cough*)
They announced a 2TB Xbox Series X at $599 before this and a 1 TB Series S for $349 (PS5 Digital was $399 at launch). What do you think? That they would release for much less for higher spec stuff?

It all depends what they choose to put in it and where they choose to compromise but things have become expensive. They would have to take PS3 style hardware losses to go back to 2013 or even 2020 pricing at this rate.

havoc00

Jada Pinkett Smith Periodt GIF by Red Table Talk
They really are gonna charge a grand arent they?

Crayon

Aside from the steam deck, handhelds are more up in that range. Unless ms want to eat a few hundred bucks thinking they are going to make that up in game pass subs lol. And remember they couldn't manage to make the series x at any reasonable price. They ended up $200 more bom than PS5 for the same performance.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
If they are out if their fucken minds. I'm not paying anywhere near that to buy a console for my kids and I'll just buy them some Nintendo shit instead.

StereoVsn

Best place to play GTA6

Sideloads Steam

Plays Playstation games thats on Steam

I like they are trying something different
It’s certainly going to be interesting, but it won’t sell to mass market and PC buyers generally won’t want PCs that you can’t upgrade unless they are laptops.

Ooh, Xbox Surface Laptop, that would be kind of cool.. and very, very expensive.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It’s certainly going to be interesting, but it won’t sell to mass market and PC buyers generally won’t want PCs that you can’t upgrade unless they are laptops.

Ooh, Xbox Surface Laptop, that would be kind of cool.. and very, very expensive.
Yeah its 100% not for the mainstream, I would imagine they have a plan for that though :)

Kacho

Gold Member
Xbox sales have not been all that great these two past generations and you expect them to release a $700 handheld?
We’re just spitballing here, but I suspect the home console is for their remaining hardcore players, so roughly 30 mil or so? Charge a premium and make bank off them.

The handheld is more aimed at PC enthusiasts.

AmuroChan

Microsoft doesn't need "permission". It comes down to how much pricing power the XBox brand has at that time. Also, prices for just about anything out there always goes up over time because of inflation. Look at the average prices for single family homes, movie tickets, eggs, college tuition, a coffee from Starbucks, etc just a decade ago compared to now. The average annual inflation rate in the US for the past 100 years is about 3%. So just do the math.

StereoVsn

Yeah its 100% not for the mainstream, I would imagine they have a plan for that though :)
It’s going to be pretty interesting to see what they offer for sure.

That said, they had a plan for Xbox One and Xbox Series as well…. Not sure I trust any of MS’ Xbox planning starting with the back half of 360 era. 😅

FunkMiller

Can somebody explain why anyone would want one of these, when Steamdeck exists?

Obviously 700 bucks would be absolutely fucking stupid.

FunkMiller

Best place to play GTA6

Sideloads Steam

That would certainly edge closer to the 'PC under your TV' configuration that they should be moving towards. Make it upgradeable, and you've got yourself something that'd probably murder Playstation.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Best place to play GTA6

Sideloads Steam

Easy to get into as a "PC upgrade" + something that would play my existing console library + BC games as well.

On paper it's a lot easier of a buy-in even at $1000, since I'm still on a 'gaming laptop' from 2017. Let's see in practice what it is, if it even exists in this form.

Last edited:
I think they are waiting to see pro sales. If $ony says "ps5 pro performed below expectations " then Micro$ofts going to price it lower than $699.

Matsuchezz

MS can’t charge whatever they want, their games as everyone knows suck balls, the value proposition is non existent. If this new console portable is real, they must charge the price of a series S and they are robbing people blind.

reinking

Gold Member
They really are gonna charge a grand aren't they?
I don't think I will have an issue with the price because we are going to start paying a premium for these products. I am not saying I am happy about it. I am a bit more concerned with what I get for that grand. If Xbox is really considering a hybrid, I need to know how much the lines are blurred between the console and PC. If they go too much PC-like, then what is the point? If they can really integrate everything into a seamless console OS (Steam etc like Phil has mentioned) then it might be a great option. If it still requires multiple launchers, I'm not so sure.

Best place to play GTA6

I'm with you on most of the stuff you share, but yeah, not sure about that one, chief.

Since the launch and the entire different league of success of GTA5, Rockstar doesn't operate on industry trends or norms. They do their own thing and DGAF about anyone or any platform.

So far the only platforms confirmed are PS5 and Series X and S. I wouldn't be surprised if they add the Switch 2 as a launch platform as well, whenever the game launches I mean.

But this w/e box is going to be a nextgen console and not an iterative one like the PS5 Pro, where you are mandated by the Console manufacturer to provide support for the new console.

They simply won't release the nextgen versions until the PS6 launches. Case in point, RDR2, which still hasn't even received a current gen patch and is still a PS4/Xbone app on consoles.

They do this because they want people to double and triple dip, on top of the shark cards microtransactions revenue. It prints them money.

The nextgen and PC versions of GTA6 will launch around mid-2028, going by their release trends.

Jesb

Is there no chance Microsoft goes the Nintendo route and make a hybrid console/handheld? It would basically be a much more powerful switch 2.

Iced Arcade

If they were smart they would sell at an attractive price and offset the cost with the game pass subscription.

BUT it's Xbox and they haven't touched grass or reality in a long time so

Ridicululzz

I'm looking forward to see what they might do in the future. I don't know about a $700-$800 price point, but a handheld with Game Pass (and maybe Steam?) integration would be pretty cool

Jigsaah

Gold Member
How do you come to that conclusion? They are literally putting their first-party games on PlayStation now. Market-share clearly is not a goal they deem worth chasing any longer.
true. good point.
$999, but I doubt it will be a console
Hmmm, so a xbox branded PC?
arguments as in "your statement"

This question completely ignores the state of Xbox, and that's my point. Xbox could offer a 1-dollar machine, and it still wouldn't change anything.

Xbox isn't in a position to offer anything. I mean, they could try because of MS, but as a platform/brand, Xbox doesn't have any real leverage in the market
You simply aren't speaking in good faith. You say I'm completely ignoring Xbox's position....yet I literally say Xbox is no where near as popular as Sony's consoles. It stands to reason that maybe they wouldn't be able to raise the price to $700 or higher. It's in the original OP.

My original post is not so much a statement as presenting a factual premise and asking logical questions pertaining to that premise.

Yet you come in here, with your Sony-colored glasses and say some asinine shitposting bullshit instead of engaging in the conversation presented like others with good faith

Have you noticed you're one of the few saying room temperature shit like this? Mostly everybody else is able to leave their two cents or engage in further conversation. How can you lack such self-awareness? It's pathetic

Xbox can't offer anything? Do you read what you type before you type it? Another stupid fanboy statement. They have already said they are building another console. So what...that somehow is not an offer? Where does this come from?

Cyberpunkd

Do you think the handheld will carry similar features of the Steam Deck or ROG?

You think the console will be OVER 700!?
Similar features being? The advantage of Steam deck is Steam OS integration and compatibility layer. ROG Ally and other PC handhelds just brute force the performance using stock parts.
The only way this can work is if Microsoft makes some sort of dedicated handheld version of Windows and integrate it with Game Pass. So as with Steamdeck you will have lighter (Game) mode and full (Desktop) mode.

StereoVsn

I'm looking forward to see what they might do in the future. I don't know about a $700-$800 price point, but a handheld with Game Pass (and maybe Steam?) integration would be pretty cool
You can buy any Windows handheld right now and do this. ASUS, Lenovo, Steam Deck with Windows install, bunch of smaller Chinese manufacturers, etc…

It will be interesting to see MS’ product proposal for customers.

Cyberpunkd

You guys also forget that with a handheld you will have a similar situation to Xbox going multi platform - Microsoft will never be satisfied with the sales of ROG Ally, Lenovo Legion Go, even the Steamdeck. They want scale, you either go big or go home.

So this can be done using:
1. Price - we know Microsoft won’t do thet
2. Hardware - but its stock parts, so unless you subsidise it (won’t happen) the more powerful the handheld the higher the orice
3. Secret sauce Windows handheld mode / GP integration - I don’t think Microsoft is capable/wants to do it

Top Bottom