• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Xbox have permission now to charge $700 for their rumoured handheld?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For you guys that know of handhelds, what’s the most powerful one right now? How much does it cost, and what’s the ballpark power if compared to any PS or Xbox system?

Just trying gauge if MS does a handheld what it realistically might top out at, even though it might be a couple years down the road.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I expect the next box to be $799.99 handheld or up to $1000 for a pro/Dock version with a new unseen version of windows that will link into XBOX store. Not sure if steam games will work, but XBOX games will (PC gamepass) I believe they will somehow gimp steam or epic stores.

GHG

For you guys that know of handhelds, what’s the most powerful one right now? How much does it cost, and what’s the ballpark power if compared to any PS or Xbox system?

Just trying gauge if MS does a handheld what it realistically might top out at, even though it might be a couple years down the road.

From a compatability standpoint it won't make any sense for them to go with anything that isn't as powerful as the Series S.

The Asus Ally X is 8.6 teraflops using fp16 calculations while the Series S is exactly 8 teraflops when using fp16.

The Ally X is currently $800, so that should give you an indication of how a theoretical handheld would be priced if they were to release it today.

sendit

I'm not arguing anything. I'm just going off the facts. Sony's PS5 Pro is $700. It is breaking what were previous limits in modern times. The question is does this mean Xbox can charge similarly for their next offering? Where is the argument?
The 3D0 in 1993 was 700 with almost zero game support. Considering inflation, that is ~1400 USD in today's dollars.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
You simply aren't speaking in good faith. You say I'm completely ignoring Xbox's position....yet I literally say Xbox is no where near as popular as Sony's consoles.
why is the Xbox console not as popular as sony's?

It's not a popularity problem. the issues are deeper and systematic... that is what you are ignoring.

It stands to reason that maybe they wouldn't be able to raise the price to $700 or higher. It's in the original OP.
and i'm telling you that whatever they decide to charge for their next product will be the least of its problems.

My original post is not so much a statement as presenting a factual premise and asking logical questions pertaining to that premise.

Yet you come in here, with your Sony-colored glasses and say some asinine shitposting bullshit instead of engaging in the conversation presented like others with good faith
you are tripping.

you are the one bringing Sony into the equation buddy.

a better formulation for your question would've been this one:

with series S, Xbox tried to have a cheaper console, with series X the most powerful and expansive one.

if the rumors are true, Xbox is going to have:
1. A very powerful.... box, but also quite expensive
2. a handheld.... not as expensive?

if we take into consideration the current market situation (PC, Consoles, Mobile, handheld)

What kind of price strategy could Xbox try to implement to find success in the market?

see? No fanboy bullshit. don't project your insecurities on me.

Have you noticed you're one of the few saying room temperature shit like this? Mostly everybody else is able to leave their two cents or engage in further conversation. How can you lack such self-awareness? It's pathetic
the only lack of self awareness is coming from you and I will show you how.

Xbox can't offer anything? Do you read what you type before you type it? Another stupid fanboy statement. They have already said they are building another console. So what...that somehow is not an offer? Where does this come from?
let's begin then:

has Xbox made any money with they hardware:
cwr1Z3h.jpeg

then we have this 10 years ago:
OmWaGCR.jpeg

then we have this before this gen:
zGqNonJ.jpeg

OK, so what happened?.

have you notice the constant?... that's right; it's the leadership... and i will ask you. Who is the current leadership at xbox?.... the same dude.

[SIZE=4]Xbox isn't in a position to offer anything[/SIZE]
very different statement to"Xbox can't offer anything?". don't you agree?... or are you just arguing in bad faith?

if Xbox does anything it will be due to MS's grace.

The series S and the series X was this new strategy (the price point one)

the current statements from Sarah/Phil are just damage control. it's just PR. you should know better by now.

Hhave you notice that you are the one calling me a fanboy and not engaging with the topic?.... interesting don't you think.

Finally:
yZG5Hnk.jpeg

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
PlayStation is the older and therefore bigger and more popular brand with much more fans and people who had a PS in their childhood. Guess what console they buy today and for their kids. Microsoft startet when Sony sold 160 million consoles. That's nothing you can win without big mistakes from the competitor. Sony fucked up the PS3, but Microsoft decided to drop the ball with the +100 Dollar, weaker console and the Kinect shit.

That gen was their only chance and they failed miserably.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
PlayStation is the older and therefore bigger and more popular brand with much more fans and people who had a PS in their childhood. Guess what console they buy today and for their kids. Microsoft startet when Sony sold 160 million consoles. That's nothing you can win without big mistakes from the competitor. Sony fucked up the PS3, but Microsoft decided to drop the ball with the +100 Dollar, weaker console and the Kinect shit.

That gen was their only chance and they failed miserably.
yeah, you don't win or loose any generation by doing only ONE thing good/bad.

MS has made more mistakes over the years. plain and simple.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The 3D0 in 1993 was 700 with almost zero game support. Considering inflation, that is ~1400 USD in today's dollars.
I realize and acknowledged this in an earlier post. Specifically why I mentioned in modern times...at the time the 3DO came out, gaming was still in a very fluid phase. I imagine 3DO sold fairly poorly.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

It's not a popularity problem. the issues are deeper and systematic... that is what you are ignoring.

and i'm telling you that whatever they decide to charge for their next product will be the least of its problems.

you are tripping.

you are the one bringing Sony into the equation buddy.

a better formulation for your question would've been this one:

with series S, Xbox tried to have a cheaper console, with series X the most powerful and expansive one.

if the rumors are true, Xbox is going to have:
1. A very powerful.... box, but also quite expensive
2. a handheld.... not as expensive?

if we take into consideration the current market situation (PC, Consoles, Mobile, handheld)

What kind of price strategy could Xbox try to implement to find success in the market?

see? No fanboy bullshit. don't project your insecurities on me.

the only lack of self awareness is coming from you and I will show you how.

let's begin then:

has Xbox made any money with they hardware:
cwr1Z3h.jpeg

then we have this 10 years ago:
OmWaGCR.jpeg

then we have this before this gen:
zGqNonJ.jpeg

OK, so what happened?.

have you notice the constant?... that's right; it's the leadership... and i will ask you. Who is the current leadership at xbox?.... the same dude.

very different statement to"Xbox can't offer anything?". don't you agree?... or are you just arguing in bad faith?

if Xbox does anything it will be due to MS's grace.

The series S and the series X was this new strategy (the price point one)

the current statements from Sarah/Phil are just damage control. it's just PR. you should know better by now.

Hhave you notice that you are the one calling me a fanboy and not engaging with the topic?.... interesting don't you think.

Finally:
yZG5Hnk.jpeg
I'm not ignoring that. Just because I didn't write a novel about it, doesn't mean I'm ignoring the reasons why. As a matter of fact, I'm leaving it to each individual's interpretation. This apparently is your interpretation. Again, thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
yeah, you don't win or loose any generation by doing only ONE thing good/bad.

MS has made more mistakes over the years. plain and simple.
Right, it's more than one thing:

PS3: Complicated hardware, too late, too expensive
Xbox One: Weak, Too expensive, Kinect

Xbox One was also the gen when the "Who sells most hardware?" thing ended. With all your exclusive games day1 on pc you can't sell the most consoles and with Game Pass you can't even sell many games. That gen was a clusterfuck. It also gave Sony again the dominant position to get any exclusive deals they wanted for little money In my book Xbox only existed from 2001-2017. Now it's just a 3rd party publisher with fan service hardware and even that will end in less than 10 years.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This thread has really brought up a concern for the future in my opinion. Not just for the next Xbox Console...but the PS6 as well. If the Pro is $700 and the next Xbox Console could be $700+

At this point PC just seems to make more sense. I'm sure the prices will go up with PC as well (because they already have) and it's gonna price folks out of the hobby altogether.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Xbox sales have not been all that great these two past generations and you expect them to release a $700 handheld?
Well I didn't actually give my opinion in th OP, but I did state it on the first page.

Since you apparently didn't read that far in, I said I think a handheld might go for what the Steam Dick OLED goes for. About $549

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I'm not ignoring that. Just because I didn't write a novel about it, doesn't mean I'm ignoring the reasons why. As a matter of fact, I'm leaving it to each individual's interpretation. This apparently is your interpretation. Again, thanks for the input.
and your interpretation was to call me a fanboy. 🤔

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Best place to play GTA6

Sideloads Steam

Plays Playstation games thats on Steam

I like they are trying something different
you think Sony is gonna let them get away with that? There has to be some kinda lawsuit in the works if that happens.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
confirmation bias at work
Confirmation bias would suggest your initial post was somehow a presentation of new information that confirmed my past beliefs. The fact that your initial post does not qualify as ANY information, let alone NEW information, means you actually don't know what confirmation bias is.

So kindly shut the fuck up.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Confirmation bias would suggest your initial post was somehow a presentation of new information that confirmed my past beliefs. The fact that your initial post does not qualify as ANY information, let alone NEW information, means you actually don't know what confirmation bias is.
you assumed I am a fanboy because that is what you want to see, instead of engaging with your own topic.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
you assumed I am a fanboy because that is what you want to see, instead of engaging with your own topic.
I called you a fanboy because you don't speak in good faith. you make assumption about my "arguments" which aren't arguments...nor are they statements. To be clear, I'm asking questions brought about by certain facts. I thought it would be an intersting discussion to have with GAF but then people like you come and distort what is a good faith conversation and sully it with your fanboy narratives. Miss me with that shit. I don't do console wars.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I called you a fanboy because you don't speak in good faith. you make assumption about my "arguments" which aren't arguments...nor are they statements. you also assume the worst in me....it's nothing but projection dude...
what do you mean with good faith when you are the one changing my words to fit your bias?... you just can't deal with the facts presented.

Calverz

This thread has really brought up a concern for the future in my opinion. Not just for the next Xbox Console...but the PS6 as well. If the Pro is $700 and the next Xbox Console could be $700+

At this point PC just seems to make more sense. I'm sure the prices will go up with PC as well (because they already have) and it's gonna price folks out of the hobby altogether.
I agree with this. I got into pc gaming in 2019. Sold my ps4 pro to help fund that initial pre build. Since then I have added upgrades incrementally. It’s now almost entirely changed since 2019. Only thing that’s the same is the motherboard. Best decision I ever made as prices for everything is going up now.

My Legion Go( and obviously the Rog Ally and Steam Deck) can play MS games, Playstation, and everything else available on PC and even not 'legally' available ( wink wink). Microsoft is free to charge what they want, but I don't think they have much leverage to do so when there will be 2nd gen versions of already competent handheld on the market by the time it launches.

Roberts

The handheld will be less than that. The home variant will be more than that.
This is like a dream scenario for me, because it means that for the first time ever I will be tempted to get both the handheld and the main console (most likely the most powerful one on the market) on the same ecosystem and play wherever I feel compelled to.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This would be INSANE!!!!!! So you're thinking the Xbox Next console could start at $800?

I hope it starts at a grand if its got a 3d cache CPU and a beastly GPU, sideloads Steam. I'd pay 1,500 for that easy. Just market it as a hybrid Console / PC and I'm sure people will pay a pretty penny.

Just need to lock in the OS, if MS have any sense. Which i think they will fail at miserably and only Valve might save us with a decent steam box.

Or, go NVIDIA. do something to really stir the pot! it's time we had something a little different.

Last edited:

midnightAI

I guess I never gave my opinion. So for the record, I think Xbox goes back into market share capture mode and they'll eat $100 bucks to make the handheld cheaper. Sony won't likely have a PS6 out when Xbox's new offerings come out, however the "lack of competition" is not the same as what Sony is experiencing now.

So I'll say Handheld will be $549 ish...Console will not go above $700
So they are going with a console not much more powerful than Pro (or even worse, an underpowered gaming focused PC) and a handheld that is no better than current PC handhelds? A lot of competition in that space don't you think?

(I don't actually have a clue what MS could do to stay relevant in the hardware space to be honest, every possible angle, except accepting they'll get low sales no matter what like Surface)

Hohenheim

God please say it ain't so, but with PS5 Pro being $700 USD (more elsewhere, by a lot) does this break a glass ceiling for pricing in the console space? If Xbox releases both a handheld and a traditional console could they charge this much realistically?

Looking at the competition in both the handheld and console market, we see examples of both stretching to new heights in terms of pricing.

Granted Xbox is no where near as popular as Sony's console...but I wonder how much does this actually matters, given they've been raising their prices regardless. It would be relatively new for the PC handheld market, competing against the ROG Ally X at $800 and the Steam Deck OLED currently at $549, all of which is higher than what most are used to paying for these products within their own space (Switch at $400...Switch 2 at $???)

Where does this end up? Are people going to be priced out of the market? Will people become accustomed to the new line? (not really new, *cough 3DO cough, cough Neo Geo cough*)
In europe the Rog Ally X is 1039 dollars, so yeah.. if a portable Xbox with similar specs launches for 700 here, i'll be very positively suprised!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The higher end PC handhelds are already in that ballpark anyway. Considering they are supposedly gearing up to partner with Asus, you can look at the Ally X and that's what you can expect.
And you can buy an Ally X today instead of waiting for years for a hypothetical device that will most likely not meet expectations anyway.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That would certainly edge closer to the 'PC under your TV' configuration that they should be moving towards. Make it upgradeable, and you've got yourself something that'd probably murder Playstation.
Yeah, that's PC.

Haven't been able to murder PlayStation or Nintendo in over 30 years.

pasterpl

Can somebody explain why anyone would want one of these, when Steamdeck exists?

Obviously 700 bucks would be absolutely fucking stupid.
I just got ROG Ally X and I have Steam Deck. Got ROG as Deck, unfortunately doesn’t tick all of the boxes for me.

Tsaki

I'm not arguing anything. I'm just going off the facts. Sony's PS5 Pro is $700. It is breaking what were previous limits in modern times. The question is does this mean Xbox can charge similarly for their next offering? Where is the argument?
Xbox's appeal is concentrated in the US and UK, but even in these key markets, its influence is waning. The PS5 is outperforming the Xbox Series X|S by a greater margin than the PS4 did against the Xbox One in these regions. While Microsoft can set their pricing strategy as they see fit, they will need to significantly differentiate themselves from Sony if they want to maintain relevance.

Sony can charge a premium for the PS5 Pro because it is positioned as a high-end product, similar to the DualSense Edge. It’s a low-volume, high-price strategy, and the sales expectations reflect that.

From what I read online, the rumored Xbox 'handheld' will likely be part of Microsoft’s next generation, similar to how the Series S fits in, which suggests it won't be a premium product like the PS5 Pro. Its goal will likely be to establish a solid foundation for the next-gen Xbox ecosystem. Whether Series S-level specs can handle the demands of 2030s games is another discussion, but that’s the narrative many Xbox influencers are pushing: a handheld to cover the "S" tier and a bigger box to cover the "X" tier (don't really want to start talking how much of a PC-like will these products be because then we'll have to talk about MS losing their entire ecosystem)

Additionally, with the Switch 2 expected to capture the majority of third-party ports, it will become a direct competitor to all current consoles and beyond.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Setting a high price will be suicidal since there are plenty of Windows based handhelds on the market already. It's going to be even worse if it's going be (more or less) a closed environment, not allowing for easy emulation and messing with the system in general.

In have no issue with paying a high price if the hardware is worth it. If the Microsoft handheld is better than it's competitors in power then I will gladly pay it. My issue with the PS5 Pro is that I don't think it's good enough to justify the £800 price which is what it would be to me. It still only he as 16 gigs of ram and the same Zen 2 CPU.. Even an average Zen 4 CPU that you would find in a laptop will be double the power of that.

StereoVsn

From a compatability standpoint it won't make any sense for them to go with anything that isn't as powerful as the Series S.

The Asus Ally X is 8.6 teraflops using fp16 calculations while the Series S is exactly 8 teraflops when using fp16.

The Ally X is currently $800, so that should give you an indication of how a theoretical handheld would be priced if they were to release it today.
Eh, regular Ally is less than $600 on sale and its performance is within 5% or X.

Plus ASUS has to make decent margin in hardware it sells and MS doesn’t if they have Xbox store there.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Eh, regular Ally is less than $600 on sale and its performance is within 5% or X.

Plus ASUS has to make decent margin in hardware it sells and MS doesn’t if they have Xbox store there.
Yes. But they will have to price it higher if the leaks/rumors are true:

- They will have Steam, so they won't have the Xbox store advantage there.
- These devices will be OEM-licensed to other manufacturers, so the cost will automatically go up.

Top Bottom