• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

its the worst feeling ever when you're playing well, your team is playing well, you're winning and your carry says he's going to be 'afk for a few minutes' and then abandons

Manus

I only play Random Draft and CM these days. I can ban them out in CM but in RD if one or both is in the pool they always get picked. And it seems like at least one always is in the pool, and both isn't at all uncommon

Play single draft than. Forces you to pick 3 characters and learn new ones. That and random draft is all I play and I have a full stack.

Hylian7

Be glad you haven't experienced Dota 1 where Mirana and Drow were always picked in every game for a long long time.
In every Wodota video there were always at least 2 or 3 SF plays, and 2 or 3 Armlet plays, even on heroes that have no business buying Armlet. I saw an Armlet play with Windrunner once... and SF. Who the hell buys Armlet on these heroes?

Hylian7

Play single draft than. Forces you to pick 3 characters and learn new ones. That and random draft is all I play and I have a full stack.
I like All Random, mainly because you have to usually try to come up with strange but effective lanes. Really helps with strategy.

Of course there are situations like this where you look at both teams and say "This... can only end in tears." http://dotabuff.com/matches/277120368

I did ancients and had the most farm on my team. Unfortunately none of those heroes can really be molded into a support. MAYBE DK or BM, but a real team comp will beat that any day.

I like All Random, mainly because you have to usually try to come up with strange but effective lanes. Really helps with strategy.

Of course there are situations like this where you look at both teams and say "This... can only end in tears." http://dotabuff.com/matches/277120368

I did ancients and had the most farm on my team. Unfortunately none of those heroes can really be molded into a support. MAYBE DK or BM, but a real team comp will beat that any day.
Ah, yes, the mythical SnY Omniknight.

In every Wodota video there were always at least 2 or 3 SF plays, and 2 or 3 Armlet plays, even on heroes that have no business buying Armlet. I saw an Armlet play with Windrunner once... and SF. Who the hell buys Armlet on these heroes?

I once had a Dazzle teammate with Armlet. Surprisingly, he did well. o_0

Anteo

Oh yeah, I remember seeing a Sniper armlet once. That's just a play of someone who knows is gonna win no matter what

Aaron

I only play Random Draft and CM these days. I can ban them out in CM but in RD if one or both is in the pool they always get picked. And it seems like at least one always is in the pool, and both isn't at all uncommon
Spirit Breaker shows up all the time lately in Random Draft for me. Not feeling so random. He's only picked half the time though.

shira

Spirit Breaker shows up all the time lately in Random Draft for me. Not feeling so random. He's only picked half the time though.

ibsju22nis79hm.png

So boring to play after a while. It's the new PL/warlock/drow/naga

Wunder

I always take a support when I get drafted one, just because I know everyone else is going carry.

The best thing is when you see the preview on the hero and it's like 3 supports, so you go "Can I mid?" and after 45 seconds of no response you take a mid hero timidly and once you load into the game your would-be supports insta-lock 3 melee carries. ;_;7

Aaron

I always take a support when I get drafted one, just because I know everyone else is going carry.
I have decent experience 90% of heroes so I ask what the rest of the group wants me to play. Usually this works out, except the one time I was drunk and playing Ogre Magi. Don't drink and stack.

shira

Man those Chinese contracts suck balls.

sylAr said:
“Contracts nowadays are thus: if the player wants to leave, then he has to pay up. If the club wants to kick the player, then the player can only be hung out to dry until someone pays for you. I don’t even want to talk about how disadvantaged players are.”

It would be interesting to know what their so-called base salary is

EDIT: rotk, super kicked
Coca-Cola making Chinese Dota team

However just for arguments sake, let's say he went he's int items - whatever his usual build is - instead of the Shadow Blade, Aghanims and AC but still got the MoM (because that's what lead him to snowball, I believe) do you think that, like I said before, can be viable? That would force everyone on the opposite team to buy BKB and those how don't will get punished especially if they're squishy? OR do you think it's a complete waste of an item on him because he's dmg would be so high they would die anyway (if he had his int items, using arcane orb ofc)?

MoM is crap on him because it increases the incoming damage by 30%.

A good OD build looks like this:

Tranquils -> disassemble them for Mekanism, Treads, Force Staff, Scythe of Vyse, BKB, Shiva's, Refresher.

Some skip Force Staff and get a Linken's or a Skadi later on for the stats. It's up to you.

New to the game, playing Ogre Magi.. so much fun..makes me wish there were more heroes with absurd voice work.

Noobie question though, what really defines "mid-game"?

Arkanius

New to the game, playing Ogre Magi.. so much fun..makes me wish there were more heroes with absurd voice work.

The part where everyone stops laning with a structure and the Late Game which is when one/both teams are trying to really do the push for the throne.

There is no definite indication of midgame...
However , during midgame, you will see more heroes grouping up, roaming and more team clashes occur.

Others here might provide the approximate ingame time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Roughly speaking its the time when one team or the other begins going particularly aggressive, grouping up and trying to pick off kills or push, but before they actually really commit to going for one major push to take Barracks or go for the Ancient.

Yeah seems like there isn't really a tried and true method for it, since the state of the game depends so much on the players involved.

Since I'm playing at such a low level I doubt any time constraints would really apply..

Good to know though, have a friend who is infatuated with spirit breaker. He seems to think that his"mid-game" solo time goes all the way to the point where the enemy team is at our gates.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah seems like there isn't really a tried and true method for it, since the state of the game depends so much on the players involved.

Since I'm playing at such a low level I doubt any time constraints would really apply..

Good to know though, have a friend who is infatuated with spirit breaker. He seems to think that his"mid-game" solo time goes all the way to the point where the enemy team is at our gates.

Yeah, if you want just the broadest rule of thumb: if one of the towers in your lane falls (on either team) it may be time to start moving and seeing if you can help gank another lane.

I started playing DOTA 2 this week and now I have some items and a few chests in my inventory.

Is it worth it to buy those keys for the chests?

you can buy the items you want for cheaper by trading the keys for the specific items you want instead of opening the chests.

There are some exeptions for this though as the chest may sometimes provide you with unusual couriers which is very pricey in the current market and relatively rare to obtain through chests.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Ok thanks guys.

I started with the Crystal Maiden. The game is so addicting. Will try out other heros soon.

Crystal Maiden is probably not the best starting hero in my opinion. The super slow move speed and your general lack of map awareness when you're starting out means you're going to be food a lot more than you would be if you picked a higher mobility hero.

On the flip-side, if you can keep a respectable ratio in games with CM, you'll likely do quite well when you're given someone with even better ability to escape.

Crystal Maiden is probably not the best starting hero in my opinion. The super slow move speed and your general lack of map awareness when you're starting out means you're going to be food a lot more than you would be if you picked a higher mobility hero.

On the flip-side, if you can keep a respectable ratio in games with CM, you'll likely do quite well when you're given someone with even better ability to escape.

I'm actually doing not too bad. I root and slow them down, so my teammates can kill them.

If I get caught alone I'm dead, yeah.

iloled

Banned
Is there a NeoGAF DOTA 2 guild? How do I get an invite?

I've seen people in the channel get some by asking. That should be your best bet

Where do you play? If you play in places where gaf doesn't really play (SEA) they probably won't really care about you since you won't be playing with them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom