• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

geetec

Neo Member
I started playing DOTA 2 this week and now I have some items and a few chests in my inventory.

Is it worth it to buy those keys for the chests?

no.no.no.no.no.no.no.

Unless you want to go bankrupt, go ahead. You'll be frequently getting chest drops, so don't worry about it. I would recommend that if you really want to buy keys for chests, you should wait for special events i.e international because those items tend to be worth more.

I started playing DOTA 2 this week and now I have some items and a few chests in my inventory.

Is it worth it to buy those keys for the chests?
You can "peak in" the chests to see what's in them. If you find something you fancy and have money to spare go ahead. Be warned, it could become a bad habit and you might spend way too much money without realizing it.

profit

The best thing is when you see the preview on the hero and it's like 3 supports, so you go "Can I mid?" and after 45 seconds of no response you take a mid hero timidly and once you load into the game your would-be supports insta-lock 3 melee carries. ;_;7

Heh yup, I just insta lock into supports. On the other hand, I enjoy playing them more because I'm new to the game and if I was playing a carry it would be bad for the team anyway.

I have decent experience 90% of heroes so I ask what the rest of the group wants me to play. Usually this works out, except the one time I was drunk and playing Ogre Magi. Don't drink and stack.
Well I'm still learning the game and most likely am at the bottom of MM, and most of the time when I tell everyone what I got and ask what they need, I just get ignored.

ViviOggi

Heh yup, I just insta lock into supports. On the other hand, I enjoy playing them more because I'm new to the game and if I was playing a carry it would be bad for the team anyway.

A crappy support is just as bad for the team as a crappy carry, the only difference is that the support loses you the match during the early game instead of the late game. Don't get worried about being a detriment to your team just because you lack experience, the people you're playing with are new players as well (bar the occasional smurf).

My advice would be to branch out to every major role immediately until you get the basics down, the higher your matchmaking rating goes the harder it becomes to try out new roles without getting utterly destroyed.
I've met too many people who quickly started to play support only because they wanted to dodge the perceived responsibility of playing a carry and now, after hundreds of hours played, are bad in every role including support since they lack the perspective of anything besides a babysitter glued to his lane.

PSA:

Puck, Kunka and CK shirts are back in stock at Valve store. Placed an order for the puck shirt.

EDIT: And the 2013 jacket

http://store.valvesoftware.com/index.php?g=10

Hope they restock the dotaballs as I want a Wizard courier and prices will drop if there is more of them.
I finally got my shipment confirmation late last night for Monday but only ordered 1 ball to round out order so my chances at that courier not the best.

Kambing

Hope they restock the dotaballs as I want a Wizard courier and prices will drop if there is more of them.
I finally got my shipment confirmation late last night for Monday but only ordered 1 ball to round out order so my chances at that courier not the best.

Yeah, i remember asking here and Shira told me they would. So upon further inspection, the rough numbers i got in regards to restocks would be:

Shirts = 1-3 weeks
Plushies/balls = 6-9 weeks

I really want that nyx dagon -_-

SamuraiX-

LGD official statement on Sylar situation

WK1cwMy.png

wat da fuq

Is anything true in the Dota news universe or are people just trolling all the time?

Artanisix

A new team with Dendi / Xboct / Chuan / iceiceice would be hilarious and awesome.

Also probably wouldn't work too well given the language barrier for Chuan >_>

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, how does one build Bristleback effectively? Nob told me to get 1 point in everything, max bristle back, and only get ult and stats until Level 16, and grab Arcane Boots/Mek. I tried that, then yelled at him for it being horrible and making me useless in the mid game.

Also, I am doing the A to Z challenge and am up to Bristle Back. Almost everyone I have won with in 1 game, but Alchemist took a soild 5 games for me to eventually win with him by going hard lane and letting an Antimage carry us, and Brewmaster took 3 games, me winning by deciding I am horrible at him mid and just played support to Luna.

Artanisix

So, how does one build Bristleback effectively? Nob told me to get 1 point in everything, max bristle back, and only get ult and stats until Level 16, and grab Arcane Boots/Mek. I tried that, then yelled at him for it being horrible and making me useless in the mid game.

nob fooled you hardcore

Personally I like doing tri vs tri with him and maxing quills / bristleback, ult when possible, and no goo until the first two spells are maxed. Quills completely SHRED enemy supports unless their name is Spiritbreaker. Item wise, I prefer treads / magic stick / vangod / halberd / mjolnir, buuuuuut he's very flexible with what you can build on him.

JustinBB7

Oh Shit!

Mac version is officially available!! And Linux.

Downloading now. Here I cooooommmmmeeee!

That's been out for a while now. Buggy but out.

nob fooled you hardcore

Personally I like doing tri vs tri with him and maxing quills / bristleback, ult when possible, and no goo until the first two spells are maxed. Quills completely SHRED enemy supports unless their name is Spiritbreaker. Item wise, I prefer treads / magic stick / vangod / halberd / mjolnir, buuuuuut he's very flexible with what you can build on him.

I usually see a lot of pipes on him, along with blademail/heart. People usually just build him super tank.

Artanisix

That's been out for a while now. Buggy but out.

I usually see a lot of pipes on him, along with blademail/heart. People usually just build him super tank.

I like mjolnir over heart as your first big item personally. I think I value his ultimate and free attack damage more than other players do, plus mjolnir gives you a fun spell that is incredibly obnoxious with your passive and halberd's evasion.

Demoli

Why'd you ever go Mjolnir over AC on BB? The extra armour amkes you obscenely tanky, the minus armour aura is great for not only pushing but also to boost your quills damage and it helps you even if you aren't right clicking.

Artanisix

In my experience, quills top off hardcore in the midgame and their only purpose becomes the buffer to increase your attack damage and movement speed (while doing a teensy bit of damage on the side). Yes AC makes you tanky, but with Vanguard / Halberd (two mid-game items), the tankiness is redundant and I want to transition into more of a right-click dpser. The Mjolnir active synergizes well with the passive, vanguard, and halberd evasion.

profit

A crappy support is just as bad for the team as a crappy carry, the only difference is that the support loses you the match during the early game instead of the late game. Don't get worried about being a detriment to your team just because you lack experience, the people you're playing with are new players as well (bar the occasional smurf).

My advice would be to branch out to every major role immediately until you get the basics down, the higher your matchmaking rating goes the harder it becomes to try out new roles without getting utterly destroyed.
I've met too many people who quickly started to play support only because they wanted to dodge the perceived responsibility of playing a carry and now, after hundreds of hours played, are bad in every role including support since they lack the perspective of anything besides a babysitter glued to his lane.
Oh trust me I dont try to dodge anything, I'll play a carry if I feel like it; when its my only choice (since I mostly play single draft); or when I've played that hero before and I really enjoyed its playstyle. I just enjoy playing a support aswell and I've gotten pretty good results so far, but as you said I'm getting matched up with new people aswell.
I've gotten the basics down a bit and am now experimenting with warding, also a reason why I want to play support most of the time.

The biggest headscratcher at this time for me is what items to build on what heroes. I follow guides during games, but I really want to make decisions for myself and really know why a certain item is godlike on a certain hero. Sometimes I think I'm getting it, but then I see people on here saying "why the hell would (insert hero) go for (insert item)", and then I try and figure it out but I just dont see it....

Long way to go! But its fun!

Oh, I'm in the GAF guild, but sometimes I wonder if there is an open party, is it rude to just join in? Because I really want to play more with GAF people.

Artanisix

Oh trust me I dont try to dodge anything, I'll play a carry if I feel like it; when its my only choice (since I mostly play single draft); or when I've played that hero before and I really enjoyed its playstyle. I just enjoy playing a support aswell and I've gotten pretty good results so far, but as you said I'm getting matched up with new people aswell.
I've gotten the basics down a bit and am now experimenting with warding, also a reason why I want to play support most of the time.

The biggest headscratcher at this time for me is what items to build on what heroes. I follow guides during games, but I really want to make decisions for myself and really know why a certain item is godlike on a certain hero. Sometimes I think I'm getting it, but then I see people on here saying "why the hell would (insert hero) go for (insert item)", and then I try and figure it out but I just dont see it....

Long way to go! But its fun!

Oh, I'm in the GAF guild, but sometimes I wonder if there is an open party, is it rude to just join in? Because I really want to play more with GAF people.

If it's open just go in. Usually good to ask what server they're playing on once you're in though.

man the VA's in this game are great.

Killing Tidehunter as a kunkka gets you a loud ass scream " Kunkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

I almost died laughing.

Wok

Why don't you like my approach to Dota 2?

Artanisix

Night Stalker and Lion I'm against with the lane constantly being pulled

So annoying though, someone on the team picked Weaver and then went safe lane

Are you radi or dire?

If you're radiant, you can pull the dire hardcamp next to your lane and force the lane to rotate to you. You can also quelling blade the ancient trees and do the ancients.

Are you radi or dire?

If you're radiant, you can pull the dire hardcamp next to your lane and force the lane to rotate to you. You can also quelling blade the ancient trees and do the ancients.

Was radiant but couldn't really pull the hardcamp as Lion just camped there when not pulling, completely bought wrong items though, thought I was safe laning with Naga

The Dota 2 test client branch has been modified twice within the last hour by Valve.

Almost certain there's an update coming today. This is the same stuff they do every time a test client is coming. The fact that it's the Test Client means it's more than just hats.

Artanisix

The Dota 2 test client branch has been modified twice within the last hour by Valve.

Almost certain there's an update coming today. This is the same stuff they do every time a test client is coming. The fact that it's the Test Client means it's more than just hats.

ChrisC in admin control panel.

i'm scared

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
man the VA's in this game are great.

Killing Tidehunter as a kunkka gets you a loud ass scream " Kunkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

I almost died laughing.

I just discovered the other day that some characters have spawn comments when they come back. I was Luna and Mirana came back to life: "Luna! Let us hunt together."

anyway some new concept art I found on the dev forums I hadn't seen before and it's really strange.

At one point Treeant was going to be a creature? An elephant or lizard/gorilla thing

Errr... that would have been strange, I always expected anything that's a Treant to at least resemble the Ent's they're rippin... err I mean "inspired" by. Maybe they're jungle creeps?

I just discovered the other day that some characters have spawn comments when they come back. I was Luna and Mirana came back to life: "Luna! Let us hunt together."

That's their "friendly" comments. It will occur randomly when 2 heroes with some kind of relationship meet each other. There are also rival comments when a hero kills his rival - little things like these enrich the lore.

anyway some new concept art I found on the dev forums I hadn't seen before and it's really strange.

At one point Treeant was going to be a creature? An elephant or lizard/gorilla thing

Errr... that would have been strange, I always expected anything that's a Treant to at least resemble the Ent's they're rippin... err I mean "inspired" by. Maybe they're jungle creeps?

Those are the future 40$ arcana items.

KingKong

Artanisix

CRITICAL BUGS UP

- Added Elder Titan, Abaddon, Centaur and Troll Warlord to Captain's Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom