• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calibus

Been eyeing DoTA2 for a while now but have always been scared off by reports of the player community being so toxic that it kills any enjoyment.

Any truth to this?

Hylian7

Got my first Zeus rampage today! So many "bad" looking teamfights reversed by me!

Tidehunter died for my rampage!

ilpa8bvksF1I9.PNG

http://dotabuff.com/matches/246507825

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Doh -- oh well will continue to pass then.

If you're interested you should try it out anyway. There is -some- truth to it. If you can muster up 4 friends to play with you always have that option too.

Usobuko

Banned
Been eyeing DoTA2 for a while now but have always been scared off by reports of the player community being so toxic that it kills any enjoyment.

Any truth to this?

It's a team based game that last 30 mins to an hour typically and it used to be a free mod on WC3. There is some truth in this but Valve has a rather reliable report system for offenders.The community now is far better than it used to be.

It's not uncommon to witness name callings, sarcastic remarks and insults among your teammates when the chips are down, only for a team fight to turn the whole thing in your side favour. Then everyone is back to being good buddies again.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Any truth to this?

True, but it's a runaway success despite the awful community. That should tell you a lot about how good the game is.

Give it a shot, if the community proves too much then you can drop it anytime.

Kreunt

Banned
RTZ Timber. Apparently they've been running a lot of Timber mid.

I really like his Timber build, I'm going to try it out later today.

what was his build?
i've dropped below 50% on timber due to a recent losing streak :/

edit: but troll winrate is back above 80%, woooo

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
XmH2q9F.png

Okay, so despite the 17 deaths this is the most fun game I've had in ages. Like 8 deaths happened in the first twenty minutes when Clockwerk and I had the absolute worst luck bot between their Druid's bear getting entangles at a ridiculous rates and their guys coming down at the exact time Clock and I would try and gank (seriously, we would leave the jungle to go on Druid and see the TP circles just concluding under their tower, then we'd try and run and die)

But everyone was incredibly laid back, intelligent, none of us ever got too pessimistic, we started taking teamfights, Spectre started getting fat, and the best part was that we were winning and losing fights in almost equal amounts leading to a really close game of back and forth until finally one decisive fight let us double-rax then and then push to end.

Dota at its most satisfying.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I just want to sub to this thread because I know I'll get back into DOTA 2 eventually. It started to dominate my life earlier this year, thanks I H8 MEMES, LOL...

I had a lot of stuff going on in life and fell out of it. I'll get back eventually. When I do I want to play with Gaffer's and not have random games.

What's the best way to get player cards? DotaLounge isn't getting me anywhere fast. I'm willing to pay for them with keys and whatnot, but it's just a pain in the ass.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/246643098

So I just had an all random game where one of my teammates repicked and got a Luna. She gets Moon glaives level 1, which was a misclick apparently (but they still maxed it out second). They then decided to spend their 500 starting gold on a tango, a circlet and wraith band recipe. Several minutes into the game they hadn't bought the slippers to finish the wraith band even though they had the gold and I said that you can get it from the side shop. Luna says they're waiting on basileus, but she never makes the aquila and goes double wraith band. Later on Luna would blame the Brew being late to lane for her losing it, I'm sure it had nothing to do with her holding onto a 150 gold recipe that does nothing for her and a single set of tangos for regen.

Next I notice she has a ring of health and when I ask what it's for she says it's for a vanguard. IIRC, this is before she finished treads. Next she gets a poor man's shield before finally finishing the vanguard (two shields are better than one, right?). And all throughout the match she calls the team, retards and noobs or whatever.

I know it's super late on EU west but that was a special level of bad. I'm getting really tired of solo queue. When EU GAF wakes up can some of you add me?

Ken

Can you not buy the compendium anymore? Everytime I try to add to cart nothing happens.

Also how do I tell what roles are taken in hero select if no one calls anything out?

I'm unsure about Windrunner, as I've also felt that she was "weak" in the past but recently I realized I just haven't played her effectively.
Not to mention I never landed shackle shots which can be game-changing.

I've realized she is great at staying in the lane and she doesn't need big items to be effective; her skills are amazing.
Rather, she can really help the team with items like mek or forcestaff and acts as the fresh tank of air and quick feet the team needs.

edit: I've read the post closer and it seems like troll I'm an idiot uninstall plz

I made some guides for my friend to use, he's very, very new to the game. I had him subscribe to them so he could use them in game, but he said they weren't showing up.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158701822

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158645962

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=158919733

Is the Steam community down or something? Even my own builds have been buggy lately; a lot of the time they take a while to load in game. Is the Steam sale shitting their cloud services up or something?

...Windrunner is competitive at all levels of the game. WTF is he on about? Shackle doesn't stun long enough? Windwalk isn't useful? What game is he talking about?

patapuf

...Windrunner is competitive at all levels of the game. WTF is he on about? Shackle doesn't stun long enough? Windwalk isn't useful? What game is he talking about?

He has been dota since before it was cool. Are you saying he is not qualified to make balance sugestions?

Also, sand king is op. He just has to buy 10 TP scrolls at the start and oneshots enemies from minute one.

Artanisix

LATE LATE INHOUSE UP (for us americans anyway)

pw neogaf

Also dominated PuppetYuber 1v1 for his Razor set. GG puppet, if you weren't banned you could post in here!

Oh my fucking god, I just ran into a one in a million pub support while playing dragon knight.

A CM, he leveled his W
warded jungle entrance
carried clarities and teleport scrolls
pulled the jungle creeps, triple stacked 2 of the jungle camps and let me have the farm
When bounty was in our lane he bought sentries and didn't waste them by waiting for him to overextend.
He fucking BODY blocked a nighttime nightstalker (as cm with the pityful movement speed) for about 5seconds to save our nature's prophet till I could get in range for a stun.
He stopped attacking when enemies were super low to not take the farm.
He let me have last hits on towers
He denied as much as he could , he harrassed in lane while not getting his squishy butt owned by creep aggro like most pub players
He carried dust when we were pushing to deal with bounty hunter and put down really nice defensive sentries behind us every time we were taking down a tower.
And he was ALWAYS there for teamfights and pushes while doing all this.
Oh AND while playing hard support he found the gold to buy a mek , tranquil boots and double bracer on top of all those wards, clarities , dust and tele.

What a blessed experience, we wrecked their team so fucking hard.
I'm sad now as future pub games will look like crap compared to having this guy in your lane.

edit: When enemy puck + bounty + lion + nightstalker tried to gank us + pudge he didn't run away like most pubs, no he stayed and fought and froze the NS and kited and used his ult after they blew their stuns and we won that fight and I got a triple kill out of it.
Most pubs have the instinct to run even when there is absolutely no escape, meaning you don't get ANY kills in these encounters and everyone dies anyway.
+ basic stuff like not allowing the lion to line up a double stun with proper (re)positioning

It feels so good to have good teammates, the match before I was axe with a good windrunner and we got 9 kills before the 10 min mark in top lane vs a (weird) trilane (riki + spirit breaker + dazzle) by pushing the creeps and dominating jungle and the space between t1 and t2 tower , but we ended up losing because our antimage fed hard and didn't get a battlefury up by 25 mins, and our lone druid put his items on himself instead of his bear<.<
With noone to carry at late game we couldn't win teamfights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom