• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calidor

Can anyone explain what does this mean about the log notes:

- Reduced the average skill variance in games where there are 10 individual players.
- Fixed a bug in the matchmaker that was causing it to insufficiently segregate players based on win count.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Hahahaha

Predictions For The Next Hero

Q: Why did the Jedi cross the road? A: To get to the Dark Side.

Dota2_DuelOfTheFates.gif

Legion Commander will be out before TI3 obviously lol.

Haunted

Why did no one tell me you can pick up the Energy Booster in the side shop? More importantly, why is the UI telling me explicitly that I need the secret shop to complete Arcane Boots when I don't?

fuck

so many wasted trips with the courier

Can anyone explain what does this mean about the log notes:
Supposedly, you'll get to play with more evenly matched people now.

Why did no one tell me you can pick up the Energy Booster in the side shop? More importantly, why is the UI telling me explicitly that I need the secret shop to complete Arcane Boots when I don't?

fuck

you can click on the side shop and see what is there

JustinBB7

fuck

I had the same problem when I started playing. Kinda weird how they did that.

Angry Fork

About how many hours does it take to learn all of the mechanics of the game? Not the strategies in the map per se but just how to go through the menu's, know what all the actions are of the characters, their weaknesses strengths etc.?

bounchfx

I'm liking the new patch. I still can't get over the fact that in-game dota 2 items are being made as cosmetics. feels like cheatin'.

Mononoke

Banned
What happened to the Death Prophet set that was supposed to be in the last patch? Was expecting it to to be in this one when it didn't make the patch like it was listed to be.

Anteo

fuck

To be fair, if you are on the safelane side and playing right, your lane should not be pushed enough for you to buy the Energy Booster on the sideshop.

About how many hours does it take to learn all of the mechanics of the game? Not the strategies in the map per se but just how to go through the menu's, know what all the actions are of the characters, their weaknesses strengths etc.?

5 hours, 50 hours, and then another 200 or so respectively I would say for most people. Oh and that's if you have someone actually explaining this to you, and you're attempting to learn by reading guides and stuff. If you try to get it osmotically who knows how long.

There are some with 500 hours who have no clue whats going on.

shira

2000 hours?

Opened 3 new chests and got 2 Pudge Hooks and a Necro staff, time to trade.
I have a feeling the new lava roshon is going to be 500 keys

sixghost

fuck

It took me way too long to realize this as well. You can buy all sorts of things at the side shop. Ultimate orbs, blink daggers, orb of venom, you can complete a poor man's shield there. It's meepo heaven.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
New matchmaking works great:

Get paired with a guy who yells at me, because Puck is obviously not a mid hero and I as Tinker should mid. Mind you I knew having Tinker and Puck is shit, but I wanted to ancient farm.

Then I actually GO mid, then puck comes along and pings me to hell and back. I go to ancients. Get spotted by Furion and he tries to gank me. No one from my team is coming to kill this low level furion with no escape. I die. Puck calls me bad and points to his KDA ratio. Kunkka in my team ragequits.

Thx Volvo for fixing what wasn't broken, at least before this game I had an 8 game win streak

Is there a vod of this somewhere yet?

http://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit/b/432308238

At around 4:33:00

Get paired with a guy who yells at me, because Puck is obviously not a mid hero and I as Tinker should mid. Mind you I knew having Tinker and Puck is shit, but I wanted to ancient farm.

Then I actually GO mid, then puck comes along and pings me to hell and back. I go to ancients. Get spotted by Furion and he tries to gank me. No one from my team is coming to kill this low level furion with no escape. I die. Puck calls me bad and points to his KDA ratio. Kunkka in my team ragequits.

Thx Volvo for fixing what wasn't broken, at least before this game I had an 8 game win streak

vulva plz disband

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member

I played hon/dota 2 since their inception.

I can tell you that it will take YEARS to fully comprehend and UTILIZE these mechanics to their fullest potential. However, that is not to say that you will be useless in a couple hours/days of learning Dota.

The best way to learn the "basics" and critical mechanics is READING guides. Seriously. Watch youtube guides/read dota guides. Do both...A LOT. When you have free time...or even during your "dota time" do this. Between games. Don't know what a hero does? Wiki him, learn his skills and their nuances. It helps a lot.

If you are new, the first thing I would "master" is knowing what hero does. Know each of their skills and their role in the game. When you get to a real match, you should be able to tell me what each hero does and will do throughout the game. If you can do this, you are in good shape! Knowledge is power in Dota. Know everything.

You have to WANT to learn Dota mechanics. That means a lot things:

1. Read the forums/guides/wikis. This is my favorite tip to give. Reading is power. Reading is everything. You might need to memorize some stuff (in particular...warding spots).

2. Repeat step 1 more than anything

3. Watch streams...watch past broadcasts of professional GAMERS PLAY the game, NOT professional MATCHES being broadcasted.

For example: Go watch Dendi's past broadcasts on his twitch channel. I occasionally watch some of his pub games to learn how he operates mid. Watch his positioning, last hitting, canceling, inventory management, map scanning usage, skills, how he uses the hero, etc. It helps a lot, but only to an extent.

4. Play the game WITH FRIENDS. Do not play Dota solo...at all. Unless you are a beginner and don't really care about being trolling/trolling others.

Here is my dotabuff profile for Dota 2:

http://dotabuff.com/players/75499131

I take deep pride in myself for trying to master as many heroes as I can. I know a lot of my friends like to play their usual heroes a lot and have some heroes played up to 50 times or even more. I cap out 20 times for most heroes since I'm at a point where I can easily pick up and play an hero. I played HoN since beta and started playing Dota when it went into beta, so a lot of my skills, pretty much 100%, were easily transferred to Dota, especially the heroes because a lot of the heroes were in HoN.

BIGGEST TIP:

ALWAYS...ALWAYS...CARRY...A TP(x2) .

Hylian7

Ah, back to the trench where people think Puck isn't a mid, then get murdered by it when it spirals out of control.

BraXzy

Ugh, just had a terrible game as PA. I had Rubick supporting me, but the way he thought 'supporting' went, was stealing last hits and auto attacking.. We were constantly under the enemy tower so I couldn't attempt to get an early kill.

This is after I repeatedly say please stop auto attacking. Ugh. They had more wins than me and they don't know not to hug enemy towers? o_O

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Rough numbers. Assumes the learning in each phase is 100% focused and doesn't involve picking up things in the next phase while getting through the current phase. Not realistic, obviously, but this makes estimating easier.

Phase 1: Learning the game.

About 100 games to go from "I have no idea what I'm doing" to "I'm a doto player opa opa dendi raise your dongers"

Phase 2: Learning all the heroes.

It takes one game with a hero to know what they do. 5 games against that hero being played by a decent player to know how to play them. With 102 heroes and 6 games per hero (assuming no hero learning was done during Phase 1), you're looking at 600 games.

Phase 3: Learning all the roles.

50 games in each role. Support, Carry, Initiator, Mid, Jungle. So, 200 games broadly speaking. You can extend this further to include Semi-carry, Roamer, Suicide, Trilane Support, Hard Support, Soft Support.

Phase 4: Learning every mechanic and interaction

There's no set number to this because DOTA is an ever-evolving game and there are new things being discovered all the time or added with patches.

So at 30 minutes per game it's about 450 hours total before you begin the process of gradual refinement of your abilities with each hero and each role.

BraXzy

Rough numbers. Assumes the learning in each phase is 100% focused and doesn't involve picking up things in the next phase while getting through the current phase. Not realistic, obviously, but this makes estimating easier.

So at 30 minutes per game it's about 450 hours total before you begin the process of gradual refinement of your abilities with each hero and each role.

Good I only have about 300 hours gameplay, half of which is probably idling/queuing so I have an excuse to be a noob :D

Nokterian

So it losing streak this week and it fucking sucks only won 1 match so far *sigh*. Also called out a noob by someone who said to report me because i can't play according to him..i was like what? These people are hiliarous reporting people who think they play bad but they are even worse. And in favor i reported him doing nothing in team fights and being a dick to everyone else.

Vaporak

Just a warning to any other USw players, Dota server seemed to be freaking out. Multiple people in the game I was just in had huge lag issues, and one guy dc'd. When it was safe to leave disconnecting crashed the client for me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is dota 2 a money making thing for valve or more a goodwill game to get people onto steam?

Both.

Forgot how fun Abby is. Dunno why ice nerfed the range on his shield so hard. His aghanim effect needs a tuneup, 2 seconds is just boring now.

BraXzy

Is there a way to change the chat wheel from the default 'Y' to the middle mouse click? Like many weapon select wheels?

I've tried editing the controls in the settings menu but I guess it needs a keyboard function

Hmm, so I just installed Dota2 for linux and I am getting this error:

VMzx3Ij.png

I clicked on "verify integrity of game cache" and I am not getting any errors. I guess I will have to wait and see..

[EDIT] Nevermind, restarting Steam seemed to have worked. Game boots up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom