• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

1274925_20141206115336.jpg

Well deserved GOTY. :D

Where do you see the Approval number for each party member??

I don't see it in the attributes screen

There are no approval ratings/numbers, atleast to my knowledge there isn't. Personally like it better this way, getting approval from your companions doesn't feel as contrived as it was back in DA:O.

Dresden

I would love to craft a weapon but so far all the schematics I buy are unviable compared to buying the masterwork item off the merchant. For example a T3 bow schematic has a max of 144 DPS but buying a masterwork bow off the same merchant has 170 DPS.

Are there any good schematics available form merchants or in the game? Or is it all drop-based?

are you using tier 3 materials to craft? the disparity in numbers might be due to that.

only one I've seen is the vendor stand in Hissing Wastes that sells the t3 armor and schematics. Just farm chests in Emprise du Lion for others.

Dresden

I like Iron Bull's personality and want to keep him on my team, I Also play on Normal, will I have any problem keeping him as a 2H. What do you recommend?

Grab the two SnS passives, Turn the Bolt and Turn the Blade (they work without a shield). Give him good armor and focus on melee and range defense. Get him combat roll, and set it to preferred. That's about all you can do.

are you using tier 3 materials to craft? the disparity in numbers might be due to that.

only one I've seen is the vendor stand in Hissing Wastes that sells the t3 armor and schematics. Just farm chests in Emprise du Lion for others.

Yeah I am, even with T3 mats it still doesn't match with a bow I bought off the same merchant.

I bought both the current bow I'm using and the T3 bow schematic from the same merchant in Emprise du Lion.

And how does one exactly farm chests? I don't know of any chests in the game that relock/respawn after opening.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I think I figured out why mounts grate me so much in this game: animation. Watching Zelda U's gameplay footage, you see Link on Epona actually moving around and interacting with the mount by leaning forward when going faster, this doesn't happen at all in DA. You are just a stiff board all the way through riding, with no animation change from when you got on the mount.

I think that and the fact when you go faster just adds some comical wind effect really ruins the game's mount system. Sure it is only meant for travel, but I feel like BioWare could have made it so much better. Luckily it doesn't drag down my experience but its definitely worth noting.

SRTtoZ

I think I figured out why mounts grate me so much in this game: animation. Watching Zelda U's gameplay footage, you see Link on Epona actually moving around and interacting with the mount by leaning forward when going faster, this doesn't happen at all in DA. You are just a stiff board all the way through riding, with no animation change from when you got on the mount.

I think that and the fact when you go faster just adds some comical wind effect really ruins the game's mount system. Sure it is only meant for travel, but I feel like BioWare could have made it so much better. Luckily it doesn't drag down my experience but its definitely worth noting.

The slow trot looks great, but when you sprint its pretty average. My biggest gripe is your party disappears, so I feel like I'm gonna miss banter. Not only that but its pretty weird to have your party disappear out of thin air. If they had your party members on mounts I would use them non stop, even if they only had 2 horses (2 people per horse), I'd be cool with that, but now I only use them to get somewhere fast.

Yeah I am, even with T3 mats it still doesn't match with a bow I bought off the same merchant.

I bought both the current bow I'm using and the T3 bow schematic from the same merchant in Emprise du Lion.

And how does one exactly farm chests? I don't know of any chests in the game that relock/respawn after opening.

You need to do the Tomb of Fairel quest and you'll get a Tier 3 Masterwork Spiked Longbow in the process. You'll get the best possible DPS if you use Dragon materials and Tier 3 materials, plus a Tier 3 Grip.

Hey, does anyone know few track names when you fight the dragon? I think one was a variation of the main theme, but the other two(?) were excellent as well.

Those were great battle tracks.

aborath

Neo Member
Can anyone elucidate the Tempest focus effect? I mean how to use it. A few time now, I've triggered it on Sarah, but she just does the stabby-stabby thing. There is an arrow version, right?

Dresden

The slow trot looks great, but when you sprint its pretty average. My biggest gripe is your party disappears, so I feel like I'm gonna miss banter. Not only that but its pretty weird to have your party disappear out of thin air. If they had your party members on mounts I would use them non stop, even if they only had 2 horses (2 people per horse), I'd be cool with that, but now I only use them to get somewhere fast.

horsecart dlc

Can anyone elucidate the Tempest focus effect? I mean how to use it. A few time now, I've triggered it on Sarah, but she just does the stabby-stabby thing. There is an arrow version, right?

No, it's always stabs. Works with a bow though for some reason. It's similar to Hidden Blades from Assassin which also does stabs even with a bow.

You need to do the Tomb of Fairel quest and you'll get a Tier 3 Masterwork Spiked Longbow in the process. You'll get the best possible DPS if you use Dragon materials and Tier 3 materials, plus a Tier 3 Grip.

It would be in the Hissing Wastes; the last freagin' area I have to explore. Bleh. Hissing Wastes does T3 armor schems from merchants too right? Or does anyone know where to fine rare T3 armor schems?

Yeul

Seriously Meredith's sword from DA2 + reaver abilities is so powerful it's amazing. Playing as a reaver is so much fun I highly recommend it.

tumblr_ng3go5Meke1tlozfho1_1280.jpg

It would be in the Hissing Wastes; the last freagin' area I have to explore. Bleh. Hissing Wastes does T3 armor schems from merchants too right? Or does anyone know where to fine rare T3 armor schems?

Note as pointed out that the vendor bow has higher DPS because it has a rune in it. Runes are factored in DPS, even if they're monster specific, so adding a superb dragon slaying rune will add 50damage to the DPS calculations, even though it only works on few mobs in the game. Also don't think slaying runes actually factor as damage but are instead added as flat damage as they have a different popups when you attack, so it's extremely misleading.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Just slew the Highland Ravager.

Felt like setting my ranged characters to Defend/Self improved their behavior. They stayed away from the claws but close enough to easily move inside the vortex when the dragon started flapping its wings.

Also thank goodness for the resistance tonics and items. Cassandra charged through the dragon's breath with impunity.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
There are no approval ratings/numbers, atleast to my knowledge there isn't. Personally like it better this way, getting approval from your companions doesn't feel as contrived as it was back in DA:O.

Totally with you on this, I like not knowing how much my companions like/love/hate me... keeps me nice and paranoid haha :D

The only person at the moment who I want to like me more is my bro Bull'... he be having nothing to say forever in the Tavern, just "Goodbye" :(

Anyone got tips on upping Bulls like factor? He only slightly approves of Venitori kills, do I need to man up and go Dragon Hunting?

Really, though. I can't think of any other game this year that I'd give it to.

oh, certainly not. Glitches and stuff aside, it's easily the most enjoyable game I've played this year. Tales of Xillia 2 was probably the only game to rival it, and JRPGs are a fairly niche genre nowadays.

Altima

After watching new Zelda gameplay, that is what riding horse should be, Bioware.

Anyway, this game is well deserved as GotY.

Teknoman

If that happened to me.... I'd straight up freak I think.

lol I keep trying to push forward, but everytime someone says "She is the chosen one" or whatever, its like someone flicking my ear while i'm trying to play. It really sucks too, since i've found that Mantle instead of Direct X 11 works great for my PC + having the settings cranked, and i'm really wanting to get into the world after all that stuff about rifts and The Fade in the intro.

wolfhowwl

Banned
The elder one is a joke of a villain, but I wish he at least had a decent design.

I would have liked to see him be more involved.

BioWare correctly has Corypheus respond in force to you disrupting his plan for the mages/templars but then he just takes everything else you do lying down and isn't seen again. More interaction between him and the Inquisitor was needed as well.

Of course Loghain and the Archdemon were a non-factor for most of DA:O so it isn't like this is a new thing for BioWare and their villains.

The elder one is a joke of a villain, but I wish he at least had a decent design.

He looks bad because he is bad.

I agree with you. It's a horrendous design and I don't mean in a shocking, visually striking kind of way.

The Architect looked much better.

So, the bug with the voice change isn't just me. I legitimately thought I was going crazy but I hate the voice change and preferred the American voice so I was wondering if there's a way to fix it?

Verger

Banned
It is funny because they just
kept his design from DA2 and only turned him Red
They could have at least tried to alter his appearance more.

The other thing that really bothered me was his voice change. I so preferred his original voice than the new one they gave him. It's like they said "make him sound more badass", but to me it just came out worse. His old voice sounded "ancient" and more "timeless", more fitting for an "Elder One" (it is funny because it is the same voice actor too)
I would have liked to see him be more involved.

BioWare correctly has Corypheus respond in force to you disrupting his plan for the mages/templars but then he just takes everything else you do lying down and isn't seen again. More interaction between him and the Inquisitor was needed as well.

Of course Loghain and the Archdemon were a non-factor for most of DA:O so it isn't like this is a new thing for BioWare and their villains.
*sigh* this is what I was afraid of and I knew was coming even though I've only got to Act 2. What is it with Bioware and other WRPG makers? Why do they insist on (lately) sidelining their villains and making them disappear for the majority of the game making only one or two appearances?

For all its faults, at the very least DA2 kept its villains like Meredith and the Arishok around long enough to be taken more seriously and to actually have meaningful interactions with Hawke and the party.

Moaradin

For all its faults, at the very least DA2 kept its villains like Meredith and the Arishok around long enough to be taken more seriously and to actually have meaningful interactions with Hawke and the party.

How? Arishok showed up in Act 2 and only Act 2. Meredith had some brief mentions but the majority of appearances were in Act 3.

Verger

Banned
How? Arishok showed up in Act 2 and only Act 2. Meredith had some brief mentions but the majority of appearances were in Act 3.
Still you would have more than one or two interactions with them even though they only appeared mainly in chapters.

But then again those chapters were 1/3 of the game which was pretty long.

Elder One potentially only makes 1 or 2 appearances in the whole of DAI. That is pretty bad.

Vitor711

The gender issue, since it really does break the game.

Yup, ruined my romance option.

Didn't realise I had the gender bug until like 5 hours into the game either. It's not really something you can avoid - I did all the tricks you were supposed to (without realising it) and still had it happen.

I hate the way everyone stands during conversations.

Why are they slumped forward with their arms dead? Why are their knees always bent?

Fuck everyone in Bioware games always look so stupid when they animate.

Going to quote myself because I want to add that the out of cutscene/conversation animations aren't too hot either, but they're far more tolerable.

Who thought that that hunched look was okay? I want to see my character speaking and looking like a badass, not some scared unsure weirdo.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm confused about how tactics work...

I've gotten to where some of my characters have more abilities than I have battlle menu slots

will they use abilities that are not on the battle menu? If I set an ability to 'preferred' and it's not slotted to the battle menu, will the AI still use them?

Ralemont

not me
I'm confused about how tactics work...

I've gotten to where some of my characters have more abilities than I have battlle menu slots

will they use abilities that are not on the battle menu? If I set an ability to 'preferred' and it's not slotted to the battle menu, will the AI still use them?

No, 8 abilities is the max a character can use in a battle.

So, Mage run, actually got the dialogue about Leiliana dying in Origins.

I was very surprised to find out that she didn't know why she was brought back.

^ that dialogue is hilarious.

Totally with you on this, I like not knowing how much my companions like/love/hate me... keeps me nice and paranoid haha :D

The only person at the moment who I want to like me more is my bro Bull'... he be having nothing to say forever in the Tavern, just "Goodbye" :(

Anyone got tips on upping Bulls like factor? He only slightly approves of Venitori kills, do I need to man up and go Dragon Hunting?

Yes, you do. ;)

Jacqli

Yesterday, I made some progress on Sera's romance and I had the whole time a silly grin on my face. I understand some criticism around her, but, after these last great scenes, I found out she is a great character and with whom my Inquisitor can take a break of her duties.
I just want to keep playing the plot quest so I can discover more scenes like those! I am still doing side quests though, it's just that "power" can be so easily and quickly obtained, and also it is overwhelming the amount of quests available.
And, lastly, I am a Templar (finally!). I followed some of your tips and I feel stronger, although I still have work to do like finding that powerful armor.

Top Bottom