• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Ploid 3.0

Still hooked on mp, I wish the matchmaking was more solid wirh filters, no kick back to main mp menu, ceep trying until you're in a lobby option, and such nice qol things. I would be able to get gold a lot faster if things worked smoother.

10 chests is what I save up for each time now, going to go for 20 next as I level Templar, and prestige more things. Never ending exp, and I like it.

Dresden

Don't think I'll bother with the rest of the dragons. Burned out on the game. Finished last night at 43:50, nightmare, all the companion quests wrapped up. Requisitions or shards untouched, fuck that junk.

Gutting the tactical options was a terrible idea. It's not intuitive enough for new players or robust enough for the experienced, a terrible mess that saddles you with allies who burn through all your potions and stop using abilities when they're below 50% mana/stamina if you leave it untouched. There's a bunch of stuff in this game that reminded me of Dragon's Dogma, but none reminded me more of it then people trying to figure out which AI settings would work and/or do the least amount of harm.

And like Dogma, scaling is out of control, so much so that challenge for the most part is gone by the time you hit level 13 or so. There are these sharp gradations of difficulty based on gear tiers, and enemy behavior/party set don't shift to accommodate the player's rising power level. So what ends up happening is that Hafter's Woods is the hardest area in the single player story, and that if you can get to Skyhold, you are set for the game on any difficulty.

Crestwood was the best zone - visually appealing, good shift pre- and post-quest state, and a nice underlying storyline that comes to a pretty satisfying conclusion. Emprise du Lion is probably the worst. Just took the keep and killed the dragon and moved on. EDL is the place where the MMO-esque design felt most hollow; I had to bail out when I saw the 'save 7 villagers' quest pop up.

Hero

So I'm like 7 hours in but I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm in the hinterlands and I just found all the camps. I already built watchtowers and got horses. Am I supposed to be doing something in particular here?

So I'm like 7 hours in but I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm in the hinterlands and I just found all the camps. I already built watchtowers and got horses. Am I supposed to be doing something in particular here?
The game is heavily dependant on player agency for progression, look at your journal and follow the "Inquisitor's Path" questlines whenever you feel tired of exploring. Those are the main mission in the game.

Dresden

That can only be referring to (DAO spoilers)
the dark ritual with Morrigan. IIRC Alistair performs it when the Warden is female though, so I'm not sure how that works...

And yeah, Alistair hasn't looked like himself at all in either DA2 or DAI.

Bioware really seemed to struggle to even get Leliana, Cassandra, and a couple other recurring characters even half-right.

Alistair has trouble even sounding like himself.

I think Morrigan survived the transition pretty well, although I was hoping that they'd ditch the bra. I could never get used to how Leliana looked. Her face is just a little too long and the hood emphasizes its length to a point where, combined with that waxy porcelain skin, she looked like an alien. And don't get me started on the weird chainmail tunic and the spiky greaves.

Xeteh

I think Morrigan survived the transition pretty well, although I was hoping that they'd ditch the bra. I could never get used to how Leliana looked. Her face is just a little too long and the hood emphasizes its length to a point where, combined with that waxy porcelain skin, she looked like an alien. And don't get me started on the weird chainmail tunic and the spiky greaves.

Yeah, I adore Leliana but I can't tell if I like the way she looks in this game or not. Next to Cassandra she looks like her skin is plastic. Everytime they show Cassandra's face up close you can tell they the time in to make her complexion look damn good meanwhile I think they picked a color and used the fill tool on Leliana's face.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Don't think I'll bother with the rest of the dragons. Burned out on the game. Finished last night at 43:50, nightmare, all the companion quests wrapped up. Requisitions or shards untouched, fuck that junk.

Gutting the tactical options was a terrible idea. It's not intuitive enough for new players or robust enough for the experienced, a terrible mess that saddles you with allies who burn through all your potions and stop using abilities when they're below 50% mana/stamina if you leave it untouched. There's a bunch of stuff in this game that reminded me of Dragon's Dogma, but none reminded me more of it then people trying to figure out which AI settings would work and/or do the least amount of harm.

And like Dogma, scaling is out of control, so much so that challenge for the most part is gone by the time you hit level 13 or so. There are these sharp gradations of difficulty based on gear tiers, and enemy behavior/party set don't shift to accommodate the player's rising power level. So what ends up happening is that Hafter's Woods is the hardest area in the single player story, and that if you can get to Skyhold, you are set for the game on any difficulty.

Crestwood was the best zone - visually appealing, good shift pre- and post-quest state, and a nice underlying storyline that comes to a pretty satisfying conclusion. Emprise du Lion is probably the worst. Just took the keep and killed the dragon and moved on. EDL is the place where the MMO-esque design felt most hollow; I had to bail out when I saw the 'save 7 villagers' quest pop up.

On point with everything here. It's unfortunate how the combat has progressively become less interesting as the series has gone on.

Emprise du Lion's content was particularly depressing for me, because I absolutely love a good winter wonderland.

The tactical AI is really a killer in this game. The allied AI's biggest problem is that it (rather than the enemy) is the biggest threat in combat, wasting potions or needlessly dying, essentially making battles purely logistical in nature. If the allied AI were more competent, the battles could be much more elaborate and even difficult without making everything frustrating.

Every battle would be completely different if the player could easily control every party member, and I suspect it would trivialize a vast majority of the fights. I mean, my Inquisitor's DPS (as a two-handed warrior) not to mention survivability goes up severalfold while I'm in control. There's simply no tactical options available to make the AI function even half-effectively on its own - it's simply occupying the space, rather than actually contributing.

The weak aspects of the combat is why I'm glad Bioware focused so much on adventuring as a core element of the game. Discovering new areas or busywork in the hub area do a good job mitigating the disappointing combat system, and help to make the game feel more complete as well. It's largely why I can forgive how shallow what should be the game's main feature has become.

Alistair's oddly-personal letters from war table missions are off-putting - especially when he's the king of Ferelden. It's like they wanted to prove it's really him without considering how out of place it is.

And Morrigan... she looked seriously weird in the trailers, but seems fine in the game. I'm honestly surprised she still has that exact same outfit from DAO, even after debuting in something else...

Weird!

Xeteh

The tactical AI is really a killer in this game. The allied AI's biggest problem is that it (rather than the enemy) is the biggest threat in combat, wasting potions or needlessly dying, essentially making battles purely logistical in nature. If the allied AI were more competent, the battles could be much more elaborate and even difficult without making everything frustrating.

I find it even more annoying that enemy archers will actually try to get away from you if you're hitting them meanwhile your teammates will just stand there and chug potions if you don't move them... because why would you, they won't listen anyways.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Alistair's oddly-personal letters from war table missions are off-putting - especially when he's the king of Ferelden. It's like they wanted to prove it's really him without considering how out of place it is.

Yeah, that stuff was really out of place. It was as if he was writing his letters to his old Grey Warden buddy or something.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah I was really looking forward to the game because the past games were good party tactical games. With the changes I never really feel like I'm in control of things. I feel like I'm trying to stop water from falling due to the AI/system working against me, and needing to direct control for certain things.

I wish it was possible to mod DA 2 tactics menu and mechanics into the game. Less twitch mechanics that require your direct control to get the most out of abilities, more sustains. I never had a problem with sustains in the past games, now I have to trust the AI will block certain things and walk out of range for other things. Le sigh.

I find it even more annoying that enemy archers will actually try to get away from you if you're hitting them meanwhile your teammates will just stand there and chug potions if you don't move them... because why would you, they won't listen anyways.

Yeah, that's true. It's baffling.

Demon enemies are particularly troublesome, with the cold/despair ones leaping away all the time. Because of the chill, my characters struggle to do anything against them. It wasn't until I got that "get over here" move that I could fight them effectively.

Some enemies (like dragons) have the real allied AI-killer: DA2-style targetted AOE death attacks that allied AI cannot ever dodge. It really points out the glaring flaws present in allied AI. In default "follow" mode they'll often follow the controlled character's movement directly into the AOE. Even in "follow: self" or "defend" mode they'll completely fail to avoid anything, often opting to stand still if there's no enemies in reach.

Unfortunately the tactical view is far too cumbersome to command the entire party during these moments, and the lack of an action queue renders the issue moot anyways.

Xeteh

Yeah, that's true. It's baffling.

Demon enemies are particularly troublesome, with the cold/despair ones leaping away all the time. Because of the chill, my characters struggle to do anything against them. It wasn't until I got that "get over here" move that I could fight them effectively.

Some enemies (like dragons) have the real allied AI-killer: DA2-style targetted AOE death attacks that allied AI cannot ever dodge. It really points out the glaring flaws present in allied AI. In default "follow" mode they'll often follow the controlled character's movement directly into the AOE. Even in "follow: self" or "defend" mode they'll completely fail to avoid anything, often opting to stand still if there's no enemies in reach.

Unfortunately the tactical view is far too cumbersome to command the entire party during these moments, and the lack of an action queue renders the issue moot anyways.

Yeah, I feel like half the time I post in this thread I'm bitching about the AI. I really enjoy the game but maaaan the AI really pisses me off at times. My first fight against a dragon on Nightmare took me so many retries because of the damn AI, it wasn't even a hard fight.

On a less whiny subject... what are people's opinions on Artificer? It looks fun but if it requires the focus skill to be effective I'm just gonna go with Assassin (again).

Xeteh

On that topic what is the best specialization for a bow only rogue?

Both Assassin and Artificer are really strong but I'm just not sure how Artificer plays.

I should just load up my completed NM run and play Varric for a bit. I'll just have to remember to turn my skills back on my character.

Dresden

I'd go with assassin. There's so much control and burst there. The artificer tree is loaded with stuff you'll never use in single player.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah tempest is amazing. Super speed on attacks, and spam abilities with no cooldown and resource cost rotations.

Not sure how well the AI handle it though. I try to control the archer until cooldown or ice flask is used.

spekkeh

Banned
I like that as a rogue I can kind of cheese through the game underleveld because you can cloak yourself and then revive teammates. I like it, because the strategy pause screen is a right chore and I'm also done grinding.

tcrunch

A page late but since people were talking about it:

XNCiySH.jpg

qSA471h.jpg

I have set Leader of the Charges quest on active, and even traveled to Storm Coast. But...how do I start it? I don't know where to go in order to complete this quest. Any ideas?

Edit: I am also strapped for cash, and need money for armor schematics. I have maybe 1300 gold. How do I make quick buck?

Xeteh

I have set Leader of the Charges quest on active, and even traveled to Storm Coast. But...how do I start it? I don't know where to go in order to complete this quest. Any ideas?

Edit: I am also strapped for cash, and need money for armor schematics. I have maybe 1300 gold. How do I make quick buck?

Do you have Bull with you?

Oh, I'm an idiot. I thought you were talking about his personal quest. All you have to do is walk due west of the first camp in Storm Coast, you should see people fighting on the beach.

But that's the thing...I scoured the beach and even plundered the cave. No iron bull in sight :(

jgwhiteus

Look at DA:O Alistair and the at DA:I Cullen.
Now look at DA:O Cullen and then at DA:I Alistair.

It's like their faces got accidentally switched at some point.

I think the hair colors are the most glaring changes (how does a red-head go blond, and vice versa?). The facial model for Alistair in DA:I was fine; Cullen looks like a completely different person, but maybe that's what 10 years of a hard life and shaving a goatee does to you...

Though the image above just reinforces how much I disliked DA2's general character modeling. All the characters got such flat, washed out faces, and as imperfect as the hair is in DA:I, it's an improvement over DA2 - it's like there's no shadowing at all.

Complistic

I think they've done a fine job with leliana. I mean everyone looks like puddy in da2, but da3 she looks good. maybe too good, since it doesn't really look like she's aged but that's a problem across the game.

Look at DA:O Alistair and the at DA:I Cullen.
Now look at DA:O Cullen and then at DA:I Alistair.

It's like their faces got accidentally switched at some point.

I think it's the hair and the eyes. Alistair went from a strawberry blonde to a redhead, while Cullen apparently bleached his hair between DAO and DA2, and his eyes are a lot less tired-looking while Alistair's are more so. Other than that, they're pretty good.

Damerman

People are hating on Necromancer mage spec? Hmm. I get Knight Enchanters are godlike and Rift mages are fun (I've got Solas as a Rift Mage), but Necromancers have some fun tricks up their sleeves to and work really well when paired with a Rift mage. Walking Bomb is decent DoT and its chain explosion works wonders for rifts and grouped up enemies (suck them in with that Pull of the Abyss, walking bomb, KABOOM!).

Also, you haven't seen beauty until you Spirit Marked a giant and take it into a fight against a High Dragon. Remember that giant vs dragon fight in the Storm Coast? Yeah. I actually did that in the Emerald Graves. There are two giants close to the High Dragon there. I attacked one, tamed it, and it joined in the fight against that dragon. So good. Haste + Firestorm + Giant made short work of that dragon, heh.
Holy fuck.. Gotta try that. But i remember the giant vs dragon fight being in storm coast.

The Still Ruins is the coolest-looking setting I've come across so far (at a mere 150 hours into the game...) I loved wandering around looking at the
frozen debris and floating blood pooling out of dudes.

Is there any reason to go get all of the shards? My OCD is telling me to do it but most seem to require some BS jumping to get to. Do you need all of the shards to unlock all of that temple?

Morrigan looks GOOD though, better than most other characters in the game if you ask me.

I haven't ran into Morrigan yet, but I hope she just looks better than she did in the early screens of the game where they showed her.

He looks better here than in 2 but, yeah, still not like himself.
You know they screwed up Alistair's face when they had that glimpse of him in one of the earlier trailers and nobody was identifying that as Alistair. I think most people thought it was a random Grey Warden or even Carver. The whole "Oh, its been 10 years, they're older!" is just a lame excuse too.

Most of the past characters are misses although I think Varric is one of the few that looks fine.
Yeah, Varric looks fine and a pretty faithful recreation of how he looked in DA2. Cullen looking a bit different is ok since sort of like Isabela in Origins, she just sort of had a generic face since she was a minor NPC.

This is sort of one reason I wish they'd put out some modding tools cause then you'd have an easy way to tweak companion's faces, like you could in Origins with the toolset there to try and make them more faithful to how they looked in Origins.

Grisby

I think I would have given up a zone or so for some more personal quests with your party. Think I've gotten through the bulk of them.

But that's the thing...I scoured the beach and even plundered the cave. No iron bull in sight :(

As you progress in the story
you'll eventually see a messenger who'll give you an invitation from Iron Bull...that's when you'll see him on the storm coast. The mission should be the Val Royeaux one. Finish that...then it'll open the opportunity to gain other party members.

Fou-Lu

So Knight Enchanter really is as OP as everyone said. Went from finding fights somewhat difficult to not getting hurt in a specialization and a respec.

supergiz

Is there a dragon in fallow mire? Also stange I opened a locked door and it still shows as locked on minimap. How do I report a bug?

Top Bottom