• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Moaradin

But that default female hawke tho.
1741959-hawke.jpg

her default look in Inquisition looks nothing like this LOL

Luckily you can get pretty close customizing.

Khar

When Alistair first popped up in my play through I honestly didn't recognise him.

He's standing round
moaning about mages
with very little intro and it took ages for me to twig.

After playing a hundred hours ish of DAO back in the day you would think I'd have noticed the voice at least. But no, I was oblivious and thought it was a new character. That says something as to how bad his model is.

There are a few decent Alistair mods for DA2 on the Nexus now e.g this one. Hopefully an enterprising modder will sort out a head morph at some point.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow... so this is fucked.

After playing for over 60 hours, I just booted up with the intent to tackle the final mission.

I press the continue button and instead load into the game of a Level 7 rogue named Wax... Definitely not my level 19 warrior. Saved time is only 5 hours on the file.

Did I just get fucked by Origin's cloud save system and have it load someone else's data? Going to try to contact their support people now. Meanwhile, does anyone know where local saves are supposed to be stored?

edit: found the save game folder and my data appears to still be there. Now how do I get the game to recognize them...

Asbear

Banned
Wow... so this is fucked.

After playing for over 60 hours, I just booted up with the intent to tackle the final mission.

I press the continue button and instead load into the game of a Level 7 rogue named Wax... Definitely not my level 19 warrior. Saved time is only 5 hours on the file.

Did I just get fucked by Origin's cloud save system and have it load someone else's data? Going to try to contact their support people now. Meanwhile, does anyone know where local saves are supposed to be stored?

Origin always asks you if there are overlapping save files on cloud and harddrive, whether you wanna pick one or the other.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Origin always asks you if there are overlapping save files on cloud and harddrive, whether you wanna pick one or the other.

It's not asking for whatever reason... I've backed up my saved data now, so I'm going to try some things.

Zeliard

I think I'm starting to get fatigued doing all the shitty side quests so I've stopped doing them.

Developers really need to understand the difference between fun and compelling. I don't collect a zillian resources because it's fun, I do it because I feel compelled to. I do it even though I don't have to (yay game design?) Being inundated with terrible side quests is not fun, but definitely compelling. Fun content is like fucking your SO, sometimes deep and intimate and sometimes hard and fast. Fun content is always compelling. But compelling content without the fun is like masturbating for the 10th time in a row. At that point you're shooting blanks and it actually hurts.

Honestly I would've preferred half the zones, but with more cutscenes and interesting choices/dynamics/character interactions.

Ditto. I think the game would have been better off with fewer and more unique, dense zones. The zones themselves are largely similar to each other outside of aesthetic and certain thematic differences - the objectives you're tasked with completing inside of them don't vary a whole lot.

The game has a ton of quite lovely aesthetic diversity in its environments, which puts it a dozen leaps ahead of the likes of DA2 in that department, but it would have been nice to see that coupled with a greater diversity in quest content.

Of course, there's no pressing need to actually complete every quest unless you're some die-hard completionist, but I do think DA3 probably could have pared things back a bit when it comes to filler content since it sort of cheapens the otherwise solid design in other areas.

Orcastar

When Alistair first popped up in my play through I honestly didn't recognise him.

He's standing round
moaning about mages
with very little intro and it took ages for me to twig.

After playing a hundred hours ish of DAO back in the day you would think I'd have noticed the voice at least. But no, I was oblivious and thought it was a new character. That says something as to how bad his model is.

There are a few decent Alistair mods for DA2 on the Nexus now e.g this one. Hopefully an enterprising modder will sort out a head morph at some point.
The exact same thing happened to me. The whole scene felt really weird too.
I mean the king shows up out of nowhere and nobody bats an eyelid? They could have at least had someone exclaim "King Alistair!" or had people kneel or something before he began his moaning.

Edit:
Checked the scene again on YouTube and it works much better when only Alistair shows up since Fiona addresses him by name. In my game he was with Anora so Fiona addressed them both as "Your Majesties". My first thought was something like "Is this the arl and his wife? Do they call arls "majesties"? Wait a minute..."

As you progress in the story
you'll eventually see a messenger who'll give you an invitation from Iron Bull...that's when you'll see him on the storm coast. The mission should be the Val Royeaux one. Finish that...then it'll open the opportunity to gain other party members.

Ah that was it. I was missing that bit. Thanks.

Oppo

ok I need help.

in the winter palace. apparently I need Halla Statues. I can't find a single one. anywhere.

it really sucks, because I went from being quite entranced with the level and the atmosphere, to running around like a madman pinging with the left stick button. Somebody throw me a bone here.

abundant

I know it's been said before, but fuck the Demon Commander. It's gotten to the point where whenever we face off against Demons, I'm expecting to lose. It's crazy how OP it is compared to the other Commanders.

Ashodin

The best parts of DAI's zones are the dungeons and unique quests to clear areas. I especially like the "stop the tide of undead" in Exalted Plains.

Tabby

I know it's been said before, but fuck the Demon Commander. It's gotten to the point where whenever we face off against Demons, I'm expecting to lose. It's crazy how OP it is compared to the other Commanders.
Is that the one that teleports from under you and one shots?
Fuck that thing. People complain about KE but Demon Commander needs a nerf.
I've never finished a multiplayer game with him as a boss.

abundant

Is that the one that teleports from under you and one shots?
Fuck that thing. People complain about KE but Demon Commander needs a nerf.
I've never finished a multiplayer game with him as a boss.

Yes it is. There's no real strategy with dealing with it. At least the other two Commanders can be dealt with with good team work, but the Demon Commander takes your team work and says fuck that, here's some OHKO to wipe out your entire team.

Hollycat

Beat the game, saw the ending, and now all decorations, the throne, and Mr. Bianca have disappeared. Just how crazy was that party?

Also the forge is gone.

Edit: also, never got a woohoo scene. romanced Sera, confirmed romance. Don't know what happened. Oh well.

jgwhiteus

ok I need help.

in the winter palace. apparently I need Halla Statues. I can't find a single one. anywhere.

it really sucks, because I went from being quite entranced with the level and the atmosphere, to running around like a madman pinging with the left stick button. Somebody throw me a bone here.

I hate that collection quest, because (1) some of them are in weird places, and (2) there aren't enough statues to open all the doors, so you have to pick and choose which doors to open without knowing what's behind them. Also know that two of the doors you open can have a significant impact on how the mission plays out, and even a portion of the game's ending.

Also, despite the quest saying there are 10 total, there are actually 11. Honestly I ended up using a guide / wiki. Here are the location of the 11 (spoilered):

1. Palace Garden on the patio up the stairs East of the palace gate, above the Eastern Storage door.
2. Guest Garden - On the eatern veranda of the upper garden overlooking the coin fountain.
3. Servant's Quarters - In the rafters of the kitchen. (Jump off the table to get it)
4. Servant's Quarters - In the garden outside the servant's quarters.
5. Grand Apartments - In the upstairs bedroom. (Up the NE stairs in the courtyard then up a ladder)
6. Grand Apartments - Left conspicuously in the open in a corridor guarded by 6 Venatori. (Where you meet Ambassador Briala)
7. Gaspard's Office - Off the trophy room, on Gaspard's desk.
8. Royal Quarters - In a bedroom on an end table in front of a roaring fireplace (turn right after you enter, first room on the right).
9. Royal Quarters - In another bedroom on a chest by the window (the room where you rescue Briala's agent).
10. Jardin de Reverie (Royal Quarters) - Down some stairs in front of a couple of book shelves.
11. Jardin de Reverie (Royal Quarters) - On the floor in a room full of tables. (Accesible through a window on the North section of the courtyard balconies.)

Oh, and
numbers 10 and 11 are only accessible if you completely ignore the screaming mercenary and continue searching, because after you go to him you're locked out from the previous areas, and can't open the 5-statue door in the Royal Quarters (which is one of the plot-impacting ones). I had to reload a prior save because of this.

Khar

The exact same thing happened to me. The whole scene felt really weird too.
I mean the king shows up out of nowhere and nobody bats an eyelid? They could have at least had someone exclaim "King Alistair!" or had people kneel or something before he began his moaning.

Edit:
Checked the scene again on YouTube and it works much better when only Alistair shows up since Fiona addresses him by name. In my game he was with Anora so Fiona addressed them both as "Your Majesties". My first thought was something like "Is this the arl and his wife? Do they call arls "majesties"? Wait a minute..."

Same here with Anora there too. "Your Majesties" meant nothing to me. I agree that that scene could have done with a tiny bit of finessing. The soldiers tromping in first didn't add enough, I don't know...pomp for royalty. It was odd.

danthefan

I may be blind here but I've just done the story mission where your go to
The Fade
and the next quest is telling me to go to the war table. So I went to the war table and... I can't see what the next story mission is. No green foggy stuff anywhere. I think I looked through all the available stuff and couldn't see anything that looked like the next story mission. What am I supposed to do next?

Neoweee

ok I need help.

You dont need them. There are a lit of ways to do the mission well. There's so Mmany outcomes to that.

tcrunch

I may be blind here but I've just done the story mission where your go to
The Fade
and the next quest is telling me to go to the war table. So I went to the war table and... I can't see what the next story mission is. No green foggy stuff anywhere. I think I looked through all the available stuff and couldn't see anything that looked like the next story mission. What am I supposed to do next?

Get 40 power and you will see the cloud for it. It is below and to the left of Emerald Graves.

supergiz

You have to loot everything inside the room where the locked door was for the icon to clear off of your mini map.

I thought I looted everything already strange. I'll check again.

Also! I have like 250 points in power right now. Doesn't seem like there is enough to spend it on

Kimaka

Don't think I'll bother with the rest of the dragons. Burned out on the game. Finished last night at 43:50, nightmare, all the companion quests wrapped up. Requisitions or shards untouched, fuck that junk.

Gutting the tactical options was a terrible idea. It's not intuitive enough for new players or robust enough for the experienced, a terrible mess that saddles you with allies who burn through all your potions and stop using abilities when they're below 50% mana/stamina if you leave it untouched. There's a bunch of stuff in this game that reminded me of Dragon's Dogma, but none reminded me more of it then people trying to figure out which AI settings would work and/or do the least amount of harm.

And like Dogma, scaling is out of control, so much so that challenge for the most part is gone by the time you hit level 13 or so. There are these sharp gradations of difficulty based on gear tiers, and enemy behavior/party set don't shift to accommodate the player's rising power level. So what ends up happening is that Hafter's Woods is the hardest area in the single player story, and that if you can get to Skyhold, you are set for the game on any difficulty.

Crestwood was the best zone - visually appealing, good shift pre- and post-quest state, and a nice underlying storyline that comes to a pretty satisfying conclusion. Emprise du Lion is probably the worst. Just took the keep and killed the dragon and moved on. EDL is the place where the MMO-esque design felt most hollow; I had to bail out when I saw the 'save 7 villagers' quest pop up.

Oh, no. Don't say that. I just finished Crestwood which was a fun zone but that's disappointing if it was the best.

I think the hair colors are the most glaring changes (how does a red-head go blond, and vice versa?). The facial model for Alistair in DA:I was fine; Cullen looks like a completely different person, but maybe that's what 10 years of a hard life and shaving a goatee does to you...

Or he found the fountain of youth. Cullen is actually a blond in DA:O but the weird lighting made him look like a redhead. I only know this because I recall someone extracting his model

erawsd

So, I'm 30 hours into the game and I just learned that I actually shouldn't sell everything under "valuables".. really hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

So, I'm 30 hours into the game and I just learned that I actually shouldn't sell everything under "valuables".. really hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

It won't. The combat bonus you get is probably insignifcant (they never tell you what it is), but it's another thing to collect.

neoism

I don't want to play anymore until I get a way to change my looks during the game. Can't believe they had it in DA II and just threw the Black Emporium out the window.

yeah even though Im a little happy with my characters looks this should be in every fucking game that has a character creator I mean REALLY ....

People change their minds....

lumzi23

11 hours in. That Omega driver helps me run the game at max settings (minus msaa) at what looks to be 30fps (going by my eyes and games benchmark) on Radeon 7950 which is better than I expect. Using mantl instead of DirectX 11 probably helped as well.

The game is pretty good so far (I would like to leave the hinterlands soon though, as pretty as they are).

Neoweee

You'll get many times the max amount for any research item you'd get from the first 30 hours.

tcrunch

Just started trying the freecam tool for PC. I'm never going to finish the game anymore...just going to get stuck taking pics of every fight...

It's really awesome though. You can use it to turn the UI off completely and turn it back on with a hotkey rather than going through the menu too.

Ditto. I think the game would have been better off with fewer and more unique, dense zones. The zones themselves are largely similar to each other outside of aesthetic and certain thematic differences - the objectives you're tasked with completing inside of them don't vary a whole lot.

The game has a ton of quite lovely aesthetic diversity in its environments, which puts it a dozen leaps ahead of the likes of DA2 in that department, but it would have been nice to see that coupled with a greater diversity in quest content.

Of course, there's no pressing need to actually complete every quest unless you're some die-hard completionist, but I do think DA3 probably could have pared things back a bit when it comes to filler content since it sort of cheapens the otherwise solid design in other areas.

Completely agree. I know people like to obsess over game length and hours, but I get more enjoyment out of shorter but more fulfilling game. I wouldn't have minded a 30-40 hour length game with fewer zones and more branching dialog and interactive subquests. Crestwood is the only subzone I thought that actually had a coherent story to it.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So are there anti-save scumming measures in place when it comes to Masterwork gear?

I think there might be? I tried it once with the 40% chance item, reloaded in the cave 3 or 4 in a row, got the same lack of masterwork.

Arbitrary, I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if you at least have to load a new area then come back.

I think there might be? I tried it once with the 40% chance item, reloaded in the cave 3 or 4 in a row, got the same lack of masterwork.

Arbitrary, I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if you at least have to load a new area then come back.

Consensus seems to be that results are pre-seeded, which sucks. Guess I'll just stick to the materials that grant actual, cooler benefits.

Hmmm, does anyone know the name of that variation on the main theme that plays when you fight the dragon in the Western Approach (link to fight)? Also seems to play a bit in the
Arbor Wilds
, which is what's making me think of it. I love it, but for the life of me, can't figure out what it's called, if it's on the released OST.

Top Bottom