• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Staf

Yeah this is a good distinction. I keep playing this game, and every time I want to save and quit, I travel to a new location and am like oooh one more objective. I'm 40 hours in, which is considerably longer than almost anything for the last years. But it hardly ever amounts to anything meaningful and, even though it's definitely compelling and nice to look at, am I having real fun? It feels more like a continuous diversion. Though it's also kind of my own fault, I only just started looking at the quest journal and finding out that I should just do the inquisitor's path and inner circle and not bother with anything else. Even then though, it's mostly collect 12 of these (red lyrium), kill 6 of them, etc. and not having enough power to open up the zones.

Maybe it's also because I'm coming off Bayonetta 2 which is the complete opposite. No bullshit, hundred percent fun.

Lies, it's two hundred percent fun.

Marvel

could never
I wouldn't know I played it on dirty casual mode and steam rolled my through enemies like they were made of paper haha!

haha! why didn't I do that.

And I've already mapped out my two extra playthroughs class, response and race wise.

T.O.P

Banned
Nightmare? I find Normal tricky enough sometimes :S lol.

The only time i had problems with Normal difficulty is when i went after the first dragon and i didn't know what to expect other than that it was pretty damn free, especially mid game and after

Nightmare on the other hand...you have to plan everything as precisly as possible, if the tank is off position or doesn't keep the aggro perfectly a single enemy can fuck up the rest of the party extremely fast

If you can keep your tank alive that is lol

I need to get Dorian asap, it's impossible without two barriers available

Anyway just got to level 4 now...i can't even close a lvl 4 rift tho lmao

Darkone

Started the game last night on Nightmare, i took Human Warrior one hand with shield, i am only 1 hour in and i am thinking of starting over and take a Dwarf race instead because of the 25% Magic resistance but with my shitty available play time i don`t want to start over.

Playing on normal I just beat a level 19 dragon as a level 16 Knight Enchanter. Whole party died (except me) very early. Just kept wacking away.

KE is...a little OP.

Man ignoring all discussion on specialities I went and picked Necromancy and damn is it lacklustre. Even when I raise an enemy to fight for me it just stays in one spot glitching until I have to dismiss it. I wish we still had bloodmagic.

The only time i had problems with Normal difficulty is when i went after the first dragon and i didn't know what to expect other than that it was pretty damn free, especially mid game and after

Nightmare on the other hand...you have to plan everything as precisly as possible, if the tank is off position or doesn't keep the aggro perfectly a single enemy can fuck up the rest of the party extremely fast

If you can keep your tank alive that is lol

I need to get Dorian asap, it's impossible without two barriers available

Anyway just got to level 4 now...i can't even close a lvl 4 rift tho lmao

I think my biggest issue with this game is that on normal the combat is to basic and easy and on nightmare you need to use good tactics but the tactical mode is terrible.

I'm hoping the patch in a better tactical camera and the ability to stack commands. Would make the game ten times more fun. In its current state I didn't really enjoy the combat at all.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think my biggest issue with this game is that on normal the combat is to basic and easy and on nightmare you need to use good tactics but the tactical mode is terrible.

I'm hoping the patch in a better tactical camera and the ability to stack commands. Would make the game ten times more fun. In its current state I didn't really enjoy the combat at all.

Same. There was a brief period in between having to run back to camp after every other battle or so and before just holding down the button to win where the combat shines, but a honest to god tactical mode would make this basically the bar by which all other console-first WRPGs are measured against.

Same. There was a brief period in between having to run back to camp after every other battle or so and before just holding down the button to win where the combat shines, but a honest to god tactical mode would make this basically the bar by which all other console-first WRPGs are measured against.

And bring back DA2's tactics/ai programming options. That alone would fix so much.

spekkeh

Banned
Lies, it's two hundred percent fun.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sustained. I'll allow it.

I know ive asked this a few times but once more wont hurt: is it safe to boot this up and play now? Im on ps4 and i want to play with as few bugs as possible from the start.

Neoweee

Level-wise on Nightmare:

Last boss at 20 (or 21?)

Platinum (all 10 dragons) at 23 (well, I am farming a last throne upgrade, technically still).

Still could have ~10 hours of tearing through things. I did nothing of merit in the Hissing Wastes, have two dungeons in Graves to do, and a whole bunch of the smalls temples/shrines/caves scattered around. I'll save them for another playthrough.

A giant surplus of content is a nice way to put in replay value, at least.

People are wildly overstating Nightmare's difficulty as well as the poorness of the AI. Even without KE, it isn't that hard to go through battles without taking any damage. Just set your AI skills to the settings appropriately. Set them to follow themselves, favor their stuns/status moves, etc. Honestly, the only AI thing that I would actually "program" in settings is to keep at X distance if they're a Mage or Archer.

mr stroke

Just finished the game at level 16 at 32 hours on normal.

I don't know how some of you guys are putting in 70-100 hours? Most of the side stuff is MMO type filler BS-"collect 10 of these" "deliver this here" etc.. Only side stuff I played was to power up or to get more party members. Game is pretty easy overall so I can only imagine finishing the game at max level is a cake walk?

The game could have been a shorter tighter experience. Fantastic game though. Probably my GOTY

Neoweee

I don't know how some of you guys are putting in 70-100 hours? Most of the side stuff is MMO type filler BS-"collect 10 of these" "deliver this here" etc.. Only side stuff I played was to power up or to get more party members. Game is pretty easy overall so I can only imagine finishing the game at max level is a cake walk?

The game could have been a shorter tighter experience. Fantastic game though. Probably my GOTY

There's a lot to appeal to different tastes. Hissing Wastes and Emprise di Leon are fun to explore. Upping the difficulty can keep things interesting. There's tons and tons of caves and dungeons that don't follow the MMO quest structure. People like the plot, or scenery, or music, or atmosphere. Dragon Age is great world design, so picking up codex entries, letters, or War Board events really help flesh the world out to a ridiculous degree. All of that adds up and pulls people to extreme playtimes.

Personally, I do think that it could be "tighter", but much of the appeal of the Skyrims, GTAs, and now Dragon Age are that they're so huge, and different people with different tastes can tailor their experience to their own interests. Cutting content may help increase the polish of same areas, but the final product may end up less appealing.

The only reason I spent so much time with the game was because I thought the sidequests might have an impact on the outcome of the main story. None of them seemed to play much of a role, it seemed like the decisions that mattered were ones you make during the main story missions. So if anyone is in the same boat as I was, I would say just do the companion quests and story quests and only do the sidequests if you're in the mood to do so, don't worry about missing out story-wise. Think I would have enjoyed the game waaay more if I'd known

Jag

My rig sounds like a freight train when playing. All fans spinning at full. Any tweaks to take it down a notch?

emrober5

Finished the story at about 31 hours.

Loved the game, easily GOTY for me. I still have so much to do, there are a few areas I still haven't even unlocked.

My only gripes are the occasional bugs, and that you need to do the MMO style quests to get enough power to go through the story.

Still, great game, and I really hope to get either a sequel or a huge add on (or both).

Those puzzles in the mythal ruins killed any small shred of interest I had left in this game. This game really went from incredible to absolutely dogshit by the end. So much wasted potential.

Neoweee

Those puzzles in the mythal ruins killed any small shred of interest I had left in this game. This game really went from incredible to absolutely dogshit by the end. So much wasted potential.

Optional puzzles = "dogshit at the end"?

Skip them, or look at a guide. It's like 2 minutes total for the set of them.

LeonSPBR

Based on the comments it seems that a 2 handed warrior for a nightmare playthrough aint gonna be fun...

No it won't, you'll die easy on Nighmare (2 shots from a archer kill me and I'm a mage, this happened a lot before I got my class specialization), and the only good specialization for 2 handed warrior is the Reaver, it gets even more dangerous since you'll need to be weaken to get full advantage of Reaver.

kai3345

Banned
God damn it, I'm having to grind for like 30 power just to get to my next story mission. Anyone know of any power-gaining side quests that aren't a snooze-fest?

Kysen

Nightmare is way harder than i was expecting

Getting mauled in the Hinterlands lol

Every fight for me went from "how many potions am I holding" to "just chain barrier lol". Ranged classes putting in work. I would much rather return to the old system of having a healer.

aborath

Neo Member
Every fight for me went from "how many potions am I holding" to "just chain barrier lol". Ranged classes putting in work. I would much rather return to the old system of having a healer.

At around level 10, difficulty becomes a joke. The real struggle is with the tactical cam.

Filthy casual. Did you even read the codexes?

Seriously. 35 hours in and I haven't even done the Empress Celene mission.

80 hours in and haven't done the Celene mission.

Orcastar

The Hero of Ferelden being your returning character would be so badass. It would be unprecedented - playing a character-created character twice out of differing installments?

How would that even work when s/he can die in the first game?

Then again I guess Leliana can too...

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Spoiler question related to Cassandra immediately following the ballroom mission:

I've been struggling with the choice between romancing Dorian or Cassandra but the latter just revealed that she may become the next divine, which would put her kind of off limits. My question is (and please be vague): is this something that is seriously considered in the story? Like, at some point will I have to choose between Leliana and Cassandra as the next Divine?

I don't want to choose Dorian on account of Cassandra's ambitions only for them to not pan out and I would also support her decision, even if it meant an end to our relationship.

Based on the comments it seems that a 2 handed warrior for a nightmare playthrough aint gonna be fun...

I'm up to level 10 on my characters (second playthorugh, first on hard), I'm using two warriors/two mages for my part (sucks I can't get lockpicking). It's been fine, the real test is fighting dragons though. Eventually I'm going to try to tank on my Knight Enchanter and add a third mage or maybe a ranged rogue to the party. Tank doesn't seem to be too important for the dragon fights because they usually do attacks directed toward ranged or a non specific tail swipe/claw attack.

The important thing is to grab some guard generating abilities (charging bull and the non taunt that generates guard seem useful) and setup class combos. I have disabled things like pommel strike and mighty blow and use them manually with winter's bite and the magic missile type spell.

hemtae

Finally finished the game yesterday. I felt it wasn't as good overall as Dragon Age: Origins. The average companion writing was better but Origins didn't have anything as bad as Cole. It was a really good apology letter for Dragon Age 2, I'll give it that much. Also crafting was really neat.

Ralemont

not me
Spoiler question related to Cassandra immediately following the ballroom mission:

I've been struggling with the choice between romancing Dorian or Cassandra but the latter just revealed that she may become the next divine, which would put her kind of off limits. My question is (and please be vague): is this something that is seriously considered in the story? Like, at some point will I have to choose between Leliana and Cassandra as the next Divine?

I don't want to choose Dorian on account of Cassandra's ambitions only for them to not pan out and I would also support her decision, even if it meant an end to our relationship.

Who becomes Divine is decided by many of your choices in the game. Most important are the major choices (Did you conscript or ally with mages/templars? Who did you support at the Winter Palace) followed by general dialogue choices regarding what to do with the Chantry and also who you decide to support with the War Table mission.

Finally finished the game yesterday. I felt it wasn't as good overall as Dragon Age: Origins. The average companion writing was better but Origins didn't have anything as bad as Cole. It was a really good apology letter for Dragon Age 2, I'll give it that much. Also crafting was really neat.

I really liked Cole...his Inner Circle quest is one of the best in the game.

Also, Oghren.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Who becomes Divine is decided by many of your choices in the game. Most important are the major choices (Did you conscript or ally with mages/templars? Who did you support at the Winter Palace) followed by general dialogue choices regarding what to do with the Chantry and also who you decide to support with the War Table mission.
I conscripted the mages and saved Celene, I've been generally pro-Circle but fairly neutral towards the Chantry. I've been persuading Cassandra to go ahead and dissuading Leliana. How are things likely to fall for me?

Ralemont

not me
I conscripted the mages and saved Celene, I've been generally pro-Circle but fairly neutral towards the Chantry. I've been persuading Cassandra to go ahead and dissuading Leliana. How are things likely to fall for me?

You might not even realize it but there's a third Divine option and your choices probably support her...go talk to a certain pro-Circle companion. :p

ProfNudgy

Neo Member
After reading everything about leaving the Hinterlands, I began to get nervous that I was going to ruin my gaming experience by playing the game the wrong way. Then I read that there are only like eight main missions? Is this the case? Is the main quest pretty short? Is there a right way to space out the missions? I'm getting way too nervous about this stuff. Someone please calm me down. Thanks.

Top Bottom