• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard fails to enter Steam top 100 sellers, one month before release

LectureMaster

Gold Member

Dragon Age: The Veilguard hasn’t even managed to break into the top 100 best-sellers on Steam so far. Bioware’s upcoming release is also number 42 on the most wish-listed games, pointing out that not many players are excited about it.
dragon-age-steam.jpg

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wait, this is out in a month?

I didn't even know it had a release date - I assumed this was a 2025 game or something. Wow. I assumed that by this point in the cycle, they would've been talking about things more substantial than "u can fuck anyone!"

I'm really just here for the fireworks either way.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Why is everyone hoping everything fails these days?

I don't get why everyone wants everything to fail except the same Ninty trash we've been getting for about 40 years now.

Cancel culture is morphing into celebrating failure culture

Okay, but look at what, specifically, people are hoping will fail. Soulless AAA shlock from Western developers that have no impulse to create a game with any creative value, and hilariously over-the-top woke shit. There's a clear subset of cynical games created by teams that have no desire to create a good game in the first place. That's what people are rallying against.

It's also fundamentally different than cancel culture. Cancel culture is saying "we need to stop these games from ever getting made - nobody can have them." What people here are saying is "Go ahead and play this stuff - it's probably shit, so see how that goes for ya."

tl;dr: Let the players decide what they actually want.

Last edited:

I don't get why everyone wants everything to fail except the same Ninty trash we've been getting for about 40 years now.

I don't mind when endless sequels from the same developers fail. I reserve sympathy for those that try something new and then fail.

Most people don't want this game to fail it's more they don't believe it deserves to succeed given Biowares recent output.

Ken Jeong GIF by The Masked Singer

It just doesn't look very good. So far it looks like a big departure from previous games graphically andtone wise . Not to mention it's been a long time since the last one, and dragon age games don't have the kind of replay value like a Skyrim anyway. Out of sight, out of mind......

MrRibeye

People are waiting to see:
o How many hot girls can you not date, because they are lesbian?
o Will your total chad, giant axe holding dwarf companion leave your party, because you refused the romantic advances of some non-binary companion that was forced into your party?

Shortly after release, these headlines appear:
o Nexusmods removes a mod that lets you date the hot lesbian as a male character.
o Asmongold makes a bald human warrrior in the character editor and discovers that sliding the cursor across a triangle to adjust body proportion allows you to make characters very chubby, but not too thin.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Game's on suicide watch, like Concord before it. The difference here is that Dragon Age and Bioware are names that, once upon a time, actually held some pedigree. I doubt we see EA's biggest flop ever based on name recognition alone - people would kill for another Golden Age Bioware masterpiece - but it's starting to look like this thing is going to land with a thud.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never even played any DA games but even I know the games were some kind of tactical or phased combat kind of RPG. This game looks like a hack and slash adventure game more like Shadows of Mordor.

So any DA purists won’t like it. Add in the shitty mobile game kind of characters and I can see why people aren’t liking it.

If Veilguard and AC: Shadows both flop/underperform, then the industry needs to do some serious soul searching.
Problem for studios in the middle of development is a lot if these clunkers in movies and gaming seem to have piled up fast the past year so they haven’t had time to take it all in.

If any studios are already knee deep in dev with DEI-ish games it might be too late. So unless they revamp the game they might just force it like a DA or Concord, pray to the gods it doesn’t get crucified by gamers and streamers and maybe the game does ok in reviews and sales.

So it’ll be probably years worth of more flops as wheels are in motion. The studios seem pretty stubborn too so it might take shutting down studios and starting over with new people.

Good luck studios.

Last edited:

llLeonhart

We ”hope” bad games fail so that maybe companies realize the current course of the industry doesn’t appeal to players. (GaaS, oversimplification of mechanics, less interactiveness in favor of looks, to name a few)
Dragon Age Origins was great, and in the pursuit of “modernization” the series went downhill. If this game respected and followed what made the series special in the first place, I guarantee you’d be seeing the exact opposite.
We celebrate great games with interesting ideas and that respect players, see BG3, Astrobot, stellar blade, Wukong, Warhammer and many, many others.

Ozriel

M$FT
We ”hope” bad games fail so that maybe companies realize the current course of the industry doesn’t appeal to players. (GaaS, oversimplification of mechanics, less interactiveness in favor of looks, to name a few)
Dragon Age Origins was great, and in the pursuit of “modernization” the series went downhill. If this game respected and followed what made the series special in the first place, I guarantee you’d be seeing the exact opposite.
We celebrate great games with interesting ideas and that respect players, see BG3, Astrobot, stellar blade, Wukong, Warhammer and many, many others.

You’ve seen reviews for Veilguard and confirmed it’s bad?

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I pretty much liked the series despite some downsides of 2 and Inquisition. Hell, DAI is one of my fav PS4 RPGs, on par with TW3.

But boy they’ve fumbled the plot, the style and the writing with Veilguard. When even people like me prefer to stay the hell away from long-awaited sequel, it’s not hard to imagine the general audience’s perception.

It is also damning that pretty much all of the original DA universe writers left BioWare long ago and from the presented snippets you can feel that Veilguard is written like a Tumblr fanfic.

Last edited:
The game industry seem to be following a random walk theory. I dont know why games like BG3 succeed but games like this fail.

BG3 clearly had woke element but it was extremely popular even in places like Saudi Arabia where Ive read gamers praising the game. Woke is certainly not the reason.

So, I wonder what is driving games to succeed and fail today.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
The game industry seem to be following a random walk theory. I dont know why games like BG3 succeed but games like this fail.

BG3 clearly had woke element but it was extremely popular even in places like Saudi Arabia where Ive read gamers praising the game. Woke is certainly not the reason.

So, I wonder what is driving games to succeed and fail today.
Because you need to make a good game and people won't care about 'wokness'. Wild concept, I know.

Plus in BG3 all characters are polisexuals and you're not limited in your interactions one bit. But once again, it's just good writing.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I pretty much liked the series despite some downsides of 2 and Inquisition. Hell, DAI is one of my fav PS4 RPGs, on par with TW3.

But boy they’ve fumbled the plot, the style and the writing with Veilguard. When even people like me prefer to stay the hell away from long-awaited sequel, it’s not hard to imagine the general audience’s perception.

It is also damning that pretty much all of the original DA universe writers left BioWare long ago and from the presented snippets you can feel that Veilguard is written like a Tumblr fanfic.
Same. I’m a fan of the series and I really loved Inquisition. But everything about Veilguard feels so off-putting to me so far. The dumb Marvel quip dialog in the reveal trailer, the DEI checklist party members, cartoony graphics, even the logo and the purple theme just ooze “modern audiences”.

And just look what their PR has said so far:

Full nudity for the first time
All party members are canonically pansexual
First game in the series where the combat is actually good
Most lines of dialog in the series
First nonbinary party member

The director is a trans woman who refers to herself as a “Queerosexual Gendermancer” on her Twitter bio. Yeahhh I’m gonna wait and see on this one no matter how hard IGN and Kotaku (and BioWare’s astroturf bots) try to hype it.

Cyberpunkd

I just started playing BG3 and I can already see the game lets you roleplay leagues ahead of what this type of “guide your hand to see the content, press A for awesome” does.

- Quest develop completely differently depending on how you handle them, it’s not just dialogue cjange
- Organic design: I found a half long trying to steal from me, they escaped into the hole I cannot crawl into. But guess what? I have a shapeshifting spell so I changed into a halfling and managed to squeeze through
- Found an old and dusty book ina dungeon thanks to Perception check (“you spot something”), if I failed that roll I wouldn’t have seen anything. Used my skills of Religion and Arcane to decipher the runes and learn the contents of the book

DA does what? Fancy combat moves? We know the plot will be stupid AF, they didn’t make a good one since DA:O.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Soo…just checked.

Call of Duty Black Ops 6 releases in a month. It’s #87 on the top sellers list, and is below Veilguard in wishlists.

Obviously the clear assumption now is that COD Black Ops 6 is going to flop because of ‘DEI’

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Who is assuming that? Please show us.

There are far more logical and obvious reasons why COD won't be particularly high on the pre-orders sales charts for PC, but you go ahead and shoot your shot.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
The dumb Marvel quip dialog in the reveal trailer
Wheadonspeak is the most off-putting thing so far.

The idiotic idea about sidelining Solas in his own sequel is the second.

The director is a trans woman who refers to herself as a “Queerosexual Gendermancer” on her Twitter bio. Yeahhh I’m gonna wait and see on this one no matter how hard IGN and Kotaku (and BioWare’s astroturf bots) try to hype it.
I love that they went full retard and promote companions with basically sex hotel rooms. Yeah, that's why I play DA, for the suckie-fucky, not for the geopolitical dynamics in highly original universe.

As an Eastern European I'm so tired of modern California's hypersexuality being stuffed down your throat in recent Western titles.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Soo…just checked.

Call of Duty Black Ops 6 releases in a month. It’s #87 on the top sellers list, and is below Veilguard in wishlists.

Obviously the clear assumption now is that COD Black Ops 6 is going to flop because of ‘DEI’

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

This.

And I'm happy someone finally fucking said this shit. People are making threads and trying to apply metrics to force a narrative, yet disregarding the fucking metrics they are talking about suggest anything can flop. To my understanding, you don't see that raise until a few days before release.

Call Of Duty is like #99 on Amazon for gaming best sellers, using their logic, Star Wars Outlaws outsold COD

it tries to force a narrative behind a number, while not fucking knowing what is normal for that time frame or what the past titles did around this time frame, its like...at least look that shit up before making a thread like this.

It just reeks of the classic hate bandwagon jumping of people spending their whole lives hating some property or publisher. I'm not arguing the game will do record numbers or be GOTY or anything crazy like this, merely that so far, the metrics people are talking about don't point support this fake concern to bash thing they have going on.

Edit, Call Of Duty isn't even in the top 100 and its releasing next month.

QUICK Let make a Thread like "OMG WOW CALL OF DUTY FAILEZZZZ to enter top 100 on Amazon 1 MONTH before RELEASE, is COD DOOMZ and FAILZ"? "find out next time on NeoGaf WARS" - in DBZ announcer voice probably R.I.P

Because you need to make a good game and people won't care about 'wokness'. Wild concpet, I know.

Plus in BG3 all characters are polisexuals and you're not limited in your interactions one bit. But once again, it's just good writing.

I agree, but I think some of on here care about that so much, they try to force this idea that the game failed cause of it or succeed cause its absence or some shit when BG3 shows, most don't care.

I've seen people on here trying to act like Hogwarts Legacy succeeding is some evidence that anyone gives a shit about their views, they literally act as if THEY are the game did well and its some victory for them, when I don't recall anything of theses threads getting millions of views, reply's or anything of the sort to support that millions around the world didn't merely buy a video game for fun, but for their ideas on a video game forum

So BG3 is a title, very much showing that these games are succeeding or failing purely based on if they are good or not, not anyone's ideologies on here, as many seem to be trying to hijack any fucking game succeeding as this "sign" that anyone cares about the shit they are spending 60 plus pages on thread coping about.

There are far more logical and obvious reasons why COD won't be particularly high on the pre-orders sales charts for PC, but you go ahead and shoot your shot.
But its not high on Amazon for console either....it was literally #99

Right now currently, its not even in the top 100

Stop

You are trying to force this idea that something is WILD about this, yet we don't even have any data to support even one of the best selling games over the years, that its a normal thing to be ranked so high a month before release.

Black Ops 6 is going to release next month and its not currently in the top 100 for Amazon...

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Stop

You are trying to force this idea that something is WILD about this, yet we don't even have any data to support even one of the best selling games over the years, that its a normal thing to be ranked so high a month before release.

Black Ops 6 is going to release next month and its not currently in the top 100 for Amazon...

COD is now a game that skews heavily towards digital, and in the case of PC and Xbox platforms, it's scheduled to release on gamepass.

You woke apologists are jokers. It's clear why dragon age in particular will fail, you can hope all you like that the picture will change as we get closer to release, but I'll give you a hint - it won't.

The post-mortem of this will be fun. Don't be all surprised pikachu when it gets revealed there was a woke circus taking place behind the scenes, in the same way there was for Concord.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Gamers want Dragon Age Origins 2. Not Inquisition 2.

Somehow that Ninty Trash is loved worldwide. I am not seeing any backlash from Echoes of Wisdom which is looking to be an amazing Zelda game.

Veilguard just looks like a mockery of Dragon Age. You could put Origins and Veilguard next to each other and call them different games.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
This.

And I'm happy someone finally fucking said this shit. People are making threads and trying to apply metrics to force a narrative, yet disregarding the fucking metrics they are talking about suggest anything can flop. To my understanding, you don't see that raise until a few days before release.

Call Of Duty is like #99 on Amazon for gaming best sellers, using their logic, Star Wars Outlaws outsold COD

it tries to force a narrative behind a number, while not fucking knowing what is normal for that time frame or what the past titles did around this time frame, its like...at least look that shit up before making a thread like this.

It just reeks of the classic hate bandwagon jumping of people spending their whole lives hating some property or publisher. I'm not arguing the game will do record numbers or be GOTY or anything crazy like this, merely that so far, the metrics people are talking about don't point support this fake concern to bash thing they have going on.

Edit, Call Of Duty isn't even in the top 100 and its releasing next month.

QUICK Let make a Thread like "OMG WOW CALL OF DUTY FAILEZZZZ to enter top 100 on Amazon 1 MONTH before RELEASE, is COD DOOMZ and FAILZ"? "find out next time on NeoGaf WARS" - in DBZ announcer voice probably R.I.P

I agree, but I think some of on here care about that so much, they try to force this idea that the game failed cause of it or succeed cause its absence or some shit when BG3 shows, most don't care.

I've seen people on here trying to act like Hogwarts Legacy succeeding is some evidence that anyone gives a shit about their views, they literally act as if THEY are the game did well and its some victory for them, when I don't recall anything of theses threads getting millions of views, reply's or anything of the sort to support that millions around the world didn't merely buy a video game for fun, but for their ideas on a video game forum

So BG3 is a title, very much showing that these games are succeeding or failing purely based on if they are good or not, not anyone's ideologies on here, as many seem to be trying to hijack any fucking game succeeding as this "sign" that anyone cares about the shit they are spending 60 plus pages on thread coping about.

Stop

Jesus, could you write less so that people will actually read your posts? Or add a tldr?

Top Bottom