• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard fails to enter Steam top 100 sellers, one month before release

Mownoc

Meh. Wouldn't care too much about that. If it comes out and is good it'll sell and if it's trash it won't.

It's a good thing people are being cautious.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Time to put even more emphasis on wokeness, since it worked so good for concord after all :messenger_ok:
am-i-right-or-am-i-right-stephen-tobolowsky.gif

Astray

Soo…just checked.

Call of Duty Black Ops 6 releases in a month. It’s #87 on the top sellers list, and is below Veilguard in wishlists.

Obviously the clear assumption now is that COD Black Ops 6 is going to flop because of ‘DEI’

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey
The lack of actual data on gaming has led to a massive decline in the quality of reporting on games.

Now we have to sit down and figure out ourselves if a game has performed well or not in the market.

In the film industry we know immediately if a film failed or succeeded, in the games industry we have to trawl through Chris Dring tweets to extrapolate UK physical sales to the entire world, or try to figure out Mat Piscatella's riddles while he calls us idiot for reading his tweets.

We have to read tea leaves to understand where our hobby is going, and that is just unbelievably sad if you ask me.

Ozriel

M$FT
COD is now a game that skews heavily towards digital, and in the case of PC and Xbox platforms, it's scheduled to release on gamepass
You woke apologists are jokers. It's clear why dragon age in particular will fail, you can hope all you like that the picture will change as we get closer to release, but I'll give you a hint - it won't.

The post-mortem of this will be fun. Don't be all surprised pikachu when it gets revealed there was a woke circus taking place behind the scenes, in the same way there was for Concord.

You truly think this is because of PC GamePass? A service with middling popularity on PC? 🤣

‘Woke apologist’ because I’m not willing to join the headless mob of grifters to leap into manufactured outrage about this shit?

Concord failed because it was shite. People here happily played GOW Ragnarok and Spiderman 2 even with the Sweet Baby Inc affiliation because they were good games.
It’s almost as if it’s the quality of the game that matters.

It’s possible Dragon Age flops. Most probably if the reviews are soft and word of mouth is lacking. But seeing silly shit here with comments claiming the game was made by people who ‘didn’t desire to make a good game in the first place’ is frankly hilarious.

Ozriel

M$FT
The lack of actual data on gaming has led to a massive decline in the quality of reporting on games.

Now we have to sit down and figure out ourselves if a game has performed well or not in the market.

In the film industry we know immediately if a film failed or succeeded, in the games industry we have to trawl through Chris Dring tweets to extrapolate UK physical sales to the entire world, or try to figure out Mat Piscatella's riddles while he calls us idiot for reading his tweets.

We have to read tea leaves to understand where our hobby is going, and that is just unbelievably sad if you ask me.

There are metrics people can usually suss out. Valve releases Steam revenue buckets for the year. We get sales charts from Circana (North America) and the UK…as well as Japan. We also get Top 20 YTD bestseller lists, including an overall one for the year for the U.S., UK and the EU.
Sony releases PSN top downloads too, on a monthly basis. And then there’s investor discussions for some companies like Square Enix and the likes of WB.

I think we can usually tell when a game is struggling.

TrebleShot

I saw an extended preview and some coverage from a couple of youtubers...
Course correction aint gonna work, this will be another concord type situation.

Looks genuinely awful and mostly because of the visual style.

Puscifer

COD is now a game that skews heavily towards digital, and in the case of PC and Xbox platforms, it's scheduled to release on gamepass.

You woke apologists are jokers. It's clear why dragon age in particular will fail, you can hope all you like that the picture will change as we get closer to release, but I'll give you a hint - it won't.

The post-mortem of this will be fun. Don't be all surprised pikachu when it gets revealed there was a woke circus taking place behind the scenes, in the same way there was for Concord.
Lol the shit show around Dragon Age 2 abd Inquisition was enough that it forced one writer into another industry and made David Gaider out himself as a gay man to try and stop the backlash.

I'm gay myself and I was cringing at the shit they injected into DA 2 and if it weren't for the fact it was 12 hours long I would've dropped it. Personally? Warhammer Space Marine 2 is such a breathe of fresh air that I'm actually annoyed it's not being covered more for it's approach to design. Everyone's worried about the mission and the betrayal in the story to the point that everything else is an afterthought and it's sooooooo goooood

Also

demonstr8

You must get the initial reveal for your game right the first time and you can't stray too far from what your original game is otherwise you're going to alienate your fanbase. You also cant change your game halfway through development ala Babylons Fall. People were very excited about that game until they GAAS'd it.

Last edited:

Tomi

One month after release:

Bioware lays off 100 people, phase of restructuring process in firm, nothing to do with bad sales of new Dragon age...

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Lol the shit show around Dragon Age 2 abd Inquisition was enough that it forced one writer into another industry and made David Gaider out himself as a gay man to try and stop the backlash.

I'm gay myself and I was cringing at the shit they injected into DA 2 and if it weren't for the fact it was 12 hours long I would've dropped it. Personally? Warhammer Space Marine 2 is such a breathe of fresh air that I'm actually annoyed it's not being covered more for it's approach to design. Everyone's worried about the mission and the betrayal in the story to the point that everything else is an afterthought and it's sooooooo goooood

Also

I really appreciated David's work, for not only Thedas is such a unique dark fantasy setting, but also he keeps his work professional despite his sexuality. Even when including gay people, his writing makes me actually like them, I think Dorian was pretty cool, cheeky but likeable. Even Ironbull's trans sidekick was alright, because she acted like a normal person instead of the perverted psychos that are now often on display.

DussyPestroyer

Neo Member
Left wing propaganda and modern progressivism games will fail on Steam anyways, People forget that US and Europe are not the majority base on Steam unlike consoles. Good luck selling purple haired propaganda to the Chinese, South East/East Asians, Eastern europeans and the russki's.

Well it's not like Bioware has had a great track record recently and I don't think the reveal of this game done them any favours. The last couple of Dragon Age games weren't up to the standard that Origins set either in my opinion.

Maybe it will pick up closer to the release date. I imagine for many though that this will be Biowares last chance.

Vlodril

I think it will be interesting to see how this game performs: as many companies they decided to give a big L to long-time fans of the franchise. Graphics got more cartoony, the tone more light-hearted. They think they can capture more new gamers than they will lose by doing that, let’s wait and see.

I think this has been the downfall of Bioware specifically. The "woke" thing for Veilguard probably won't help but mostly Bioware has destroyed themselves in the hunt for the mythic mainstream gamer. You could see it after Mass effect 2 which was in many ways a vastly more simplistic version of me1 (gear, quests, added ammo for no reason.. etc). It was praised for the gameplay though and after that they seemed to be going more and more heavy into gameplay design, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself but they forgot to put as much effort on story and complexity of systems.

Of course that reached a crescendo i feel with Anthem. Compare it to Larian which kept refining their formula again and again and reached the mainstream audience by just making an amazing game (which was complex as fuck too mechanically but it didn't seem to bother people).

Chechack

Why is everyone hoping everything fails these days?

I don't get why everyone wants everything to fail except the same Ninty trash we've been getting for about 40 years now.

Cancel culture is morphing into celebrating failure culture
we know what your trying to do here.
It wont work sorry to burst your bubble

Inviusx

Wait, this is out in a month?

I didn't even know it had a release date - I assumed this was a 2025 game or something. Wow. I assumed that by this point in the cycle, they would've been talking about things more substantial than "u can fuck anyone!"

I'm really just here for the fireworks either way.

I'm with you, I had no idea this game was a month away I dont remember seeing a release date announced.

This makes a good reason to CELEBRATE not only the game's failure but the company's shutdown.

Some guys need to understand that these companies are hurting the entertainment industry and they need to get out of business.

Shubh_C63

I honestly don't think this game won't do well, maybe slightly above mediocre in terms of sales and ratings.

I may even like it more if the woke tone I'm hoping is not launched in the fore front. I really might play this as a kiddy version of Dragons Dogma.

Big SP RPG failing is not gonna benefit anyone.

Especially if it confuses developers what went wrong.

If there is some obvious issues with the game, maybe point them out.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Just checked and Dragon Ball Sparking Zero is in the top 40. Dragon Age is also on EA Play though.

I’d say 1 month doesn’t tell much. We have to wait 1-2 weeks before launch to get a good idea.

Ozriel

M$FT
1 month is a lot of time to pre-order. Do AAA typically enter the top-sellers list this early?

Some people wait until launch day to purchase.

FFXVI launches tomorrow, and it’s just at #13 in the global bestsellers list

GOW Ragnarok launches in three days and it’s at #31!

Doesn’t fit the narrative, so nobody’s making an argument that either of those games are ‘woke DEI trash’.

SJRB

Gold Member
Big SP RPG failing is not gonna benefit anyone.

Especially if it confuses developers what went wrong.

If there is some obvious issues with the game, maybe point them out.

So you're saying that people should point out obvious issues with the game but also buy the game because not buying it sends the wrong message?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Okay, but look at what, specifically, people are hoping will fail. Soulless AAA shlock from Western developers that have no impulse to create a game with any creative value, and hilariously over-the-top woke shit. There's a clear subset of cynical games created by teams that have no desire to create a good game in the first place. That's what people are rallying against.

It's also fundamentally different than cancel culture. Cancel culture is saying "we need to stop these games from ever getting made - nobody can have them." What people here are saying is "Go ahead and play this stuff - it's probably shit, so see how that goes for ya."

tl;dr: Let the players decide what they actually want.
This is ridiculous. Just because you don't like the creative decisions by those in position to make them, does not mean the dev team is not working their asses off to make the best game that meets those flown down design requirements.

And FFS shitty character design is not woke anything. The shitty character design is trying to chase the success of Fortnite. Its really just shit marketing that was decided on years ago. It makes this game look bad and not remotely like the games from years ago.

And cancel culture is not about not making games is is about removing everything someone worked on regardless of how it impacts others. Its really kind of sick. Basically people find out they can make some hate go viral and pressure people into doing something and just go with it. The negativity can reach critical mass and cause financial issues. Spread anger to hurt business or threaten to do that and companies cave because there are examples of this working and they find that the risks outweigh the benefits. This online hate for whatever people think is woke in games may work similar to cancel culture, but hopefully it will just lead to game artists not being forced to create cheap cartoony bullshit characters.

As for me, I am going to play this game when it launches on Gamepass. Lots of other stuff to play this year.

This is ridiculous. Just because you don't like the creative decisions by those in position to make them, does not mean the dev team is not working their asses off to make the best game that meets those flown down design requirements.

Wrong. We are witnessing creators who vocally express their contempt for the legacy and fandom of the game or show they are working on. Those people are intruders who don't belong in this business. They are literally stealing the work of others, shitting on it, and pretending people should swallow it without complaints.

They are the first ones to cancel. They cancel the good work of hundreds of real creators before them.

I don't respect them, because they don't respect those who pay their bills.

Kokoloko85

Why is everyone hoping everything fails these days?

I don't get why everyone wants everything to fail except the same Ninty trash we've been getting for about 40 years now.

Cancel culture is morphing into celebrating failure culture
Yep. Today’s weird culture.

Plus Steamfans love to predict things, Steam numbers is like a crystal ball.

Top Bottom