• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard fails to enter Steam top 100 sellers, one month before release

laynelane

220px-Dragon_Age_Origins_cover.png
220px-Dragon_Age_2_cover.jpg
220px-Dragon_Age_Inquisition_BoxArt.jpg
Dragon_Age_The_Veilguard_key_art.png

Seeing it laid out like that is really striking. One of these is not like the others and all that. Also, purple is my favourite colour and seeing it being associated with a particular type of product and/or person keeps making me sad. :lollipop_weary:

Bkdk

bioware is absolutely done for. Depends on how inzoi does, if the mod support is robust and the character creation is great, maxis will be in trouble too. EA will be left with apex legends and fifa.

Cyberpunkd

Why is everyone hoping everything fails these days?

I don't get why everyone wants everything to fail except the same Ninty trash we've been getting for about 40 years now.

Cancel culture is morphing into celebrating failure culture
Understand last 10 years have called people that wanted men to act as men, women to act as women bigots, alt-right, Nazis, etc., all at the same time showing little evidence that morality and virtue signalling in games result in increased sales.

Ozriel

M$FT
We don't want every game to look like Fortnite. We don't want preachy, hamfisted messaging where it doesn't belong (it does belong some places!).

it doesn’t really look like Fortnite, and where have you seen the ‘preachy, hamfisted messaging’ when you haven’t played it yet?

We want great stories with great environments, characters and, likely, a killer power fantasy. With Dragon Age we wanted high fantasy with a medieval style. We got something that, while it looks very nice, doesn't appear to have much aesthetically in common with previous titles.

You seen reviews? How do you know it doesn’t have a great story?
Why does an artstyle change automatically mean something is worse?

So if it fails, that's bad for the developers but good for gaming overall - the market is picking winners and losers based more on taste than advertising muscle. And that's good.

“If this new entry in the franchise isn’t exactly like how I want it, it’s better the franchise ceases to exist entirely and most employees get fired” is a sentiment I’ve seen expressed multiple times in the thread. And that’s strange.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
Because people that are buying Dragon Age want something else art-wise than Fortnite cartoon shit? If you want this - go play Fortnite, the story is probably better anyway.
Exactly, im one of those guys that bought DA:I for full price at launch for my ps4 and i actually played/enjoyed it a lot, so normally i would be super interested and hyped for the sequel, guess what- art and all the news is srsly so offputing i barely can watch trailers/previews of that game now, not to mention paying full price or actually playing it- thats how much more awfull it all looks/sounds/feels to me- veteran DA player/franchise fan.

If game cant even convince ppl like myself there is very low chance it will convince some1 who never cared for the DA franchise/isnt fan of western rpg genre, aka low preorder numbers/low sales numbers=big bomba.

Literally same thing happened to Saints Row reboot, it also was woke af, looked like fortnite and we all know how it all ended- huge bomba/losses and studio clousure.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Pretty sure those have zero to do with DEI hires lmao.

Americans just have shit law enforcement requirements ( I assume you're american )
Don't wanna go too political, but i think he is talking about the infamous trump bodyguard, you don't get to protect a president candidate with that shape and lack of skills without a push...

Last edited:
Pretty sure those have zero to do with DEI hires lmao.

Americans just have shit law enforcement requirements ( I assume you're american )

It has everything to do. You hire unqualified people, you get faulty products. The more skilled the job, the worse the consequences.

This happens in my country, too. There's a competence crisis in the western industries, broadly speaking. The entertainment ones like cinema or videogames are just the tip of the iceberg.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Possibly but nothing in his post hints towards that.
It was the most recent scandal related to unfit law enforcers so i think he is referring to that, fat cops have been a thing since forever as you say, but protecting a president candidate should be reserved to the elite of the elite, not a small, fat woman who can't even find her gun holster, that shit scream of dei hiring.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

DEI hires

That's why you see so many low quality products across many industries, low quality games, buggy games, Boeing planes breaking down often, un-fit law enforcements, etc,
Eh, let’s leave Boeing out of this. That was purely large scale corporate mismanagement to please shareholders for a quarter or three, grab the bonus for C Suite and then parachute the fuck out.

When you outsource some of the crucial components out and cut the margins for suppliers to nothing, corners will be cut.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The marketing cycle for this game has been absolutely atrocious. It feels like a games that should still be a year away because they haven't even started generating real buzz.

I have no idea if the game will be any good. The one or two previews I saw were quite positive so it might. But it feels like they're sending it out to die.

The marketing cycle for this game has been absolutely atrocious. It feels like a games that should still be a year away because they haven't even started generating real buzz.

I have no idea if the game will be any good. The one or two previews I saw were quite positive so it might. But it feels like they're sending it out to die.
Previews are almost always positive or, at the very least, open to playing the final game. Previews can't be overly negative or critical, or else those sites/YouTubers will stop getting invites to press events, early access preview copies, and early access review copies.

Ozriel

M$FT
One can clearly see the decline starting immediately after Origins.

Origins is so stylish...DA2 then goes for a lame "bad ass hero pose". Inquisition is starting to become parodic and Failguard is just fullblown cringe.

And yet Inquisition was well received, sold the highest of the franchise and won GOTY awards.
‘decline’ indeed.

Top Bottom