• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard fails to enter Steam top 100 sellers, one month before release

So you're saying that people should point out obvious issues with the game but also buy the game because not buying it sends the wrong message?
I didn’t say anything about buying the game.

Give genuine criticism if any, so devs can work on it.

With something like Concord, its issues were obvious.

Here I am a bit confused. It could be boring to play. Thats the only one I am seeing. But that can be known only after playing it.

Ozriel

M$FT
Wrong. We are witnessing creators who vocally express their contempt for the legacy and fandom of the game or show they are working on. Those people are intruders who don't belong in this business. They are literally stealing the work of others, shitting on it, and pretending people should swallow it without complaints.

They are the first ones to cancel. They cancel the good work of hundreds of real creators before them.

I don't respect them, because they don't respect those who pay their bills.

Many of those creators are the same people who made the previous games, and it’s perfectly fine to want to change some things up. The argument that they don’t belong in this business is hilarious, since their position is orders of magnitude more valid than yours.

Can you provide evidence for these devs vocally expressing contempt for the franchise, as you allege?

Many of those creators are the same people who made the previous games, and it’s perfectly fine to want to change some things up. The argument that they don’t belong in this business is hilarious, since their position is orders of magnitude more valid than yours.

Can you provide evidence for these devs vocally expressing contempt for the franchise, as you allege?

Are you serious?

We have in this same thread a lead writer saying that the company doesn't respect writers anymore and THE SAME ATTITUDE is shown by the new hires since they can't write for their lives. I even quoted that article.

Also, devs said this game will have the first fun combat in the series or something along those lines. That's pretty disrespectful in my book.

Outside this game, we have like hundred cases of legacy IPs vandalized by people who despise the lore, even the original authors, like in Star Wars, LOTR, and many others. I have contributed to the existence of those. They haven't. So my position is infinitely more valid than theirs.

Cornbread78

Soo…just checked.

Call of Duty Black Ops 6 releases in a month. It’s #87 on the top sellers list, and is below Veilguard in wishlists.

Obviously the clear assumption now is that COD Black Ops 6 is going to flop because of ‘DEI’

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

That's the Buzzword these days

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What smacked ass preorders a digital game one month before it releases, let alone pays full price for an EA game?

I didn’t bother to watch the trailer, but I did just watch a gameplay video and it’s certainly not classic DA. I do think it looked pretty fun, so I’m going to hope for the best as I like hack and slash games.

gakidx

Neo Member
Maybe my memory is playing a trick on me, but I remember Inquisition being, by far, the best of the original trilogy? So I'm excited for Veilguard.

yazenov

Some people wait until launch day to purchase.

FFXVI launches tomorrow, and it’s just at #13 in the global bestsellers list

GOW Ragnarok launches in three days and it’s at #31!

Doesn’t fit the narrative, so nobody’s making an argument that either of those games are ‘woke DEI trash’.

You're disingenuous with your examples compared to Dragon Age: for modern audiences.

Both FFXVI and GOW are old games already released on the PS5. Most of their sales will or already come from their core audiences on the PS5 platform.

Dragon Age is a new game that is yet to be released. And its biggest audience (modern audiences lol) is probably on Steam. Try harder 🤡

Last edited:

gakidx

Neo Member
You're being disingenuous with your examples in comparison to Dragon Age.

Both FFXVI and GOW are old games already released on the PS5. Most of their sales will or already come from their core audiences on the PS5 platform.

Dragon Age is a new game that is yet to be released. And its biggest audience is probably on Steam. Try harder 🤡
Doesn't EA have a Plus Gold Deluxe Pro service that lets you play games for a tenner?

yazenov

Doesn't EA have a Plus Gold Deluxe Pro service that lets you play games for a tenner?

Who subscribes to EA Plus or whatever its name? I need to see those numbers. It's probably too negligible to move a needle, similar to Ubisoft Plus .

Steam is where the money's at. Period.

Last edited:

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member
True, the game is releasing in October....October 31st. Well over a month from now. Pre-orders really don't mean shit anyway. A game will do well if it reviews great and has good word of mouth. If it reviews middling, like Star Wars Outlaws, it will similarly bomb. Very small percentage of gamers pre-order, and just this year there have been tons of examples of games released with minimal hype that blew sales expectations

We all know why threads like this are created. So many gamers need this game to fail to help validate their hatred

Last edited:
I honestly don't get why anyone pre-orders PC games months before release anyway when they are digital only and won't sell out.

I only buy a game on Steam or pre-order a key from a third-party reseller such as CDKeys.com either the day before the game's release or, at most, a week before. I have the new Dragon Age in my Wishlist on Steam but I am waiting for more feedback on the game and, hopefully, reviews before I decide whether to buy it or not.

EA have a bit of a reputation for releasing half-broken PC games in my experience that either take months to be patched (e.g. Jedi Survivor) or not at all (Dead Space Remake, which still stutters on PC).

Last edited:

gakidx

Neo Member
Who subscribes to EA Plus or whatever its name? I need to see those numbers. It's probably too negligible to move a needle, similar to Ubisoft Plus .

Steam is where the money's at. Period.
I mean if I can beat the game for 10 bucks or buy it later at that price I'm not pre-ordering.

yazenov

I mean if I can beat the game for 10 bucks or buy it later at that price I'm not pre-ordering.

I mean, Steam was by far the biggest platform for Starfield even though you could play it for "free" on Gamepass.

Publishers can hide behind the mythical subscription services all they want and brag about millions of players "reaching" the game as damage control, but at the end of the day, actual unit sales are what matters. Steam is by far the most important platform for 3rd party publishers (Microsft included). If their game bombed on Steam, then it bombed.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Dragon Age Veilguard for the third time changed the art direction to the point it's unrecognizeable from Origins. Most fans are gone and the only fans remaining are hardcore OGs.

Bioware is banking on high review scores, otherwise the game will bomb

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Are you serious?

We have in this same thread a lead writer saying that the company doesn't respect writers anymore and THE SAME ATTITUDE is shown by the new hires since they can't write for their lives. I even quoted that article.

The former lead writer seems to have made that comment against the backdrop of the Writers Guild strike, and even complaining about how writers are undervalued does not translate to ‘no good writers’.

The part about the new hires was made up by you. There’s absolutely nothing about that in the article you shared.

Gaider even had high praise for the Veilguard gameplay reveal trailer and was quite positive about the visuals.

Also, devs said this game will have the first fun combat in the series or something along those lines. That's pretty disrespectful in my book.

ONE dev - who’s worked on the previous DA games - said that to make the claim of a much improved combat in this new game.

Most people would take this as hyperbole but also hype for the upcoming game. You’ve chosen to be ‘offended’ on behalf of an inanimate object.

The sensible path to take is to wait for reviews to confirm if there’s truly a major improvement to combat.

Outside this game, we have like hundred cases of legacy IPs vandalized by people who despise the lore, even the original authors, like in Star Wars, LOTR, and many others. I have contributed to the existence of those. They haven't. So my position is infinitely more valid than theirs.

The game is being made by many of the same people who created that lore.
Imagine claiming you’ve contributed more to the existence of a franchise than the people who made the game itself.

You're disingenuous with your examples compared to Dragon Age: for modern audiences.

Dragon Age is a new game that is yet to be released. And its biggest audience (modern audiences lol) is probably on Steam. Try harder 🤡

God of War sold approx 3million copies on Steam, even as it arrived 3+ years after release on console. This sequel is arriving faster and is expected to sell well on the platform, even though it’ll never touch sales on PS.

FFXVI came out 1.5 years ago, and JRPGs are having increasing success on PC.

I think it’s a critical failure on your part to assume I’m comparing their sales potential or expectations with DA. What I’ve done is to point out that using the pre-launch position on the best sellers list as a hard and fast indication of market reception is not an accurate measure by any means.

This isn’t rocket science.

yazenov

God of War sold approx 3million copies on Steam, even as it arrived 3+ years after release on console. This sequel is arriving faster and is expected to sell well on the platform, even though it’ll never touch sales on PS.

FFXVI came out 1.5 years ago, and JRPGs are having increasing success on PC.

I think it’s a critical failure on your part to assume I’m comparing their sales potential or expectations with DA. What I’ve done is to point out that using the pre-launch position on the best sellers list as a hard and fast indication of market reception is not an accurate measure by any means.

This isn’t rocket science.

Didn't Wukong top the Steam charts well ahead of its launch by many months?

Edit: Alright its wish list. Not preorder list.

So going by the wishlist charts, Dragon Age is still not doing so hot right now.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

People still have Bloodlines 2 on their wishlists, but you can't even get people to wonder when the game is coming out or talk about how disgracefully shit it is going to be.

SNPlayen

Maybe people lost faith in BioWare and are waiting to see if it’s good? I hope it’s good and succeeds otherwise if it sucks I hope fails.

The fact that this game will be available on gamepass on Day 1 may be one of the reasons for the lack of interest on Steam.

Gamepass canabalizes games with the prime example being HI FI Rush.

Edit: The game is not on GamePass. I think the gameplay does not suit modern players.

Last edited:

YuLY

On one hand, I'm happy because fuck those woke companions and their audacity to have a trans Game Director, like that person would know how to make a brutal medieval game, no wonder we are getting further and further from Origins.
On the other hand, I'm worried about the next Mass Effect, as in...Bioware might not get to make it if this bombs.

Last edited:

Chechack

Big SP RPG failing is not gonna benefit anyone.

Especially if it confuses developers what went wrong.

If there is some obvious issues with the game, maybe point them out.
And yet they have Elden Ring,Wukong, and other single player successful RPGs to look at.

Your point is invalid

gakidx

Neo Member
On one hand, I'm happy because fuck those woke companions and their audacity to have a trans Game Director, like that person would know how to make a brutal medieval game, no wonder we are getting further and further from Origins.
On the other hand, I'm worried about the next Mass Effect, as in...Bioware might not get to make it if this bombs.
There were 2 gay romance options in the original, you absolute tool

That, or just hate tourist, unsure which one is sadder.

Last edited:

ssringo

Farming Simulator '25 is coming out a couple weeks after Veilguard and is a few spots above it in the top sellers chart. That series seems to sell/review decently well (at a glace, a million+ with the latest being several million). Of course I doubt EA/Bioware would be happy with those numbers. Also should remember we have several notable releases that have just happened or are about to happen that's probably eating into people's gaming funds.

Don't get me wrong, I think the game is going to flop but this seems a little premature/disingenuous. If anything it should be cause EA/Bioware to do some more PR for the game. I didn't realize it was releasing so soon. not that I was going to buy it anyways

flying_sq

Can you blame people? You shouldn't preorder games ever, and with the kind of weird reputation that I think the series has at this point I'm surprised it is even wishlisted. TBH, I didn't even know it was coming out this year.

gakidx

Neo Member
Can you blame people? You shouldn't preorder games ever, and with the kind of weird reputation that I think the series has at this point I'm surprised it is even wishlisted. TBH, I didn't even know it was coming out this year.
I'm in this boat. I thought it was March 2025. It's been cooking for so long now suddenly is out and soon with no marketing.

Either game of the year or bioware last dance.

We will see, waiting on reviews.

Salz01

Games are getting pricier, and starting to appeal to less people and cater to a minority population. Gee I womder what will happen…

StereoVsn

We ”hope” bad games fail so that maybe companies realize the current course of the industry doesn’t appeal to players. (GaaS, oversimplification of mechanics, less interactiveness in favor of looks, to name a few)
Dragon Age Origins was great, and in the pursuit of “modernization” the series went downhill. If this game respected and followed what made the series special in the first place, I guarantee you’d be seeing the exact opposite.
We celebrate great games with interesting ideas and that respect players, see BG3, Astrobot, stellar blade, Wukong, Warhammer and many, many others.
Yep, and BG3 and Hogwarts were both actually very progressive titles as these things go. But that shit was a)Not in your face and b)The games were good (especially BG3).

So people hope that “modern audience” shit fail, see Concord or this particular title.

jack-nicholson-yes.gif

200w.gif

I'd rather no Mass Effect than a trainwreck of a game (see Mass Effect Andromeda).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yep, and BG3 and Hogwarts were both actually very progressive titles as these things go. But that shit was a)Not in your face and b)The games were good (especially BG3).

So people hope that “modern audience” shit fail, see Concord or this particular title.

jack-nicholson-yes.gif

200w.gif
Exactly.

I dont play COD much like I used to. But over the years, that game has had it's share of diversity content. Here's one I found googling it in 5 seconds. They recently gave away a Pride pack for free.

But in reality, who cares. Whether someone downloads it or not, who really cares since it's optional and the nature of the game is killing people asap. Nobody is staring or being forced into blatant political stuff and pronouns etc... And I dont remember any of the gazillion Activision employees making COD games for 20 years ever getting into Twitter battles with gamers.

So a game can have diversity content. But make it optional or not something that resembles an in your face check box and gamers are fine with it. But some studios make it a focus and that drives away gamers. Most products in life people dont want political angles to it. Just a good product at a good price. If people want politics, they'll watch news and be motivated with voting in their fav mayor or president. Not in a shooter game or RPG, or buying cans of soup where it's a constant reminder.

I have a feeling Veilguard will bomb like many people think. A combo of turning it into an action sword slashing game and too much mobile-ish visuals and purple everywhere is a turn off. It's hard to critique anything regarding plots and quests since you dont really see much of that, but at face value, it's a bright and bloomy action RPG. Doesnt seem suited to the traditional DA gamer.

But compared to Concord, that game sold so bad and got such a bad wrap, Veilguard wont or cant do that bad. Any articles/Youtubers hating Veilguard are a fraction of Concord this early in the game.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I still don't think Veilguard is going to be another Concord situation. I mean that was an extreme case, it's not going to be that bad. My guess is that Veilguard will do "fine" but nowhere near the sales of Inquisition. I definitely think the presentation of the game and Bioware's track record these past 10 years, will hurt the game's sales. But I'm not convinced yet it will hurt them enough for the game to outright bomb and lose them money.

ByWatterson

Why is everyone hoping everything fails these days?

I don't get why everyone wants everything to fail except the same Ninty trash we've been getting for about 40 years now.

Cancel culture is morphing into celebrating failure culture

Negative times negative is positive.

We don't want every game to look like Fortnite. We don't want preachy, hamfisted messaging where it doesn't belong (it does belong some places!). We want great stories with great environments, characters and, likely, a killer power fantasy. With Dragon Age we wanted high fantasy with a medieval style. We got something that, while it looks very nice, doesn't appear to have much aesthetically in common with previous titles.

So if it fails, that's bad for the developers but good for gaming overall - the market is picking winners and losers based more on taste than advertising muscle. And that's good.

Last edited:

BigBeauford

What smacked ass preorders a digital game one month before it releases, let alone pays full price for an EA game?

I didn’t bother to watch the trailer, but I did just watch a gameplay video and it’s certainly not classic DA. I do think it looked pretty fun, so I’m going to hope for the best as I like hack and slash games.
target-swimsuit-2.png

If you don't preorder, how else are you going to get the special edition "tuck-friendly" DLC?

Top Bottom