• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

I thought there was some way to go back. In any case, I'd recommend just putting all your money and the bank and giving it your best. If you fail, you're not losing much.

Well I dont want to master a class past a point of no return and not be able to change to something else, I'm not worried about dying lol

R0ckman

Kiefer might be one of my favorite DQ characters.
He felt like the actual protagonist of the game and I got pissed when he left the group. But finding his tomb immediately after was heartbreaking. I hope there is a twist and that he is not dead.

I had a feeling he was not a permanent pary memember, the main character just would not be able to develop strongly with him there. I knew that was it for him when he started talking to tyou about that mark at night. Despite the MC being silent he usually has some kind of back story.

Well I dont want to master a class past a point of no return and not be able to change to something else, I'm not worried about dying lol

Don't worry so much about class levels.

You might run into what, 15-20 battles through your entire time there? Not really worth stressing over even if you master a class at the very first battle.

The class mastering requirements in this remake have been so nerf'd compared to the original I managed to master Hero on a character without any class grinding.

so i think im supposed to make the third island
just got the red fragment from the cell in the castle
and its telling me its time to put what ive found together but i only found two green and two red, it wasnt enough to finish any isllands, backtracked everywhere, anyone know what i couldve missed?

So where can I findthe Medal King's Palace in this game? Or where do you exchange the mini medals?
Where are you at?

Once you
get the Flying Carpet, the Medal King will be available to visit. A ton of stuff unlocks just then, in fact.

The first item is at around 50 Medals, so don't worry about missing out on prizes.

so i think im supposed to make the third island
just got the red fragment from the cell in the castle
and its telling me its time to put what ive found together but i only found two green and two red, it wasnt enough to finish any isllands, backtracked everywhere, anyone know what i couldve missed?

I assume you used the Info option that tells you what fragments are available to pick up right now? And slotted in the ones you have? Remember, some tablets do start with Shards already in place.

Jacobs

Where are you at?

Once you
get the Flying Carpet, the Medal King will be available to visit. A ton of stuff unlocks just then, in fact.

The first item is at around 50 Medals, so don't worry about missing out on prizes.

Ah ok thanks. I am not that far but I picked up like 10 medals and I saw a building on a certain island which I couldn't access by ship.

Timeaisis

Honestly, I was getting pretty tired by this game around hours 8-15 as well. It felt like it never picked up steam. But then suddenly shit started happening, dungeons got more interesting, mechanics opened up.

I was even getting through a phase of buyers remorse - now I can't wait to continue onwards.

Not saying this will happen for you - DQ is definitely an acquired taste for me, and I always had the problem of abandoning them before they really got interesting. I'm definitely more a battle mechanics > everything else person in JRPGs, and this game is the slowest burn in a series that always started off simple and easy going.

Just had my first boss battle where I died three times in a row, carefully rearranged the items everyone was carrying, discovering new gear in the preceding dungeon, remembering that I can make a quick save just before the boss room, and then having a battle with only one character still standing.

And regular encounters started getting more interesting as well, with enemies being able to dazzle you for multiple turns, doing brutal fire attacks, or suiciding into your party.

I mean, your team unlocks only a handful of very basic abilities for the first 20 hours. Then it suddenly opens up this huge selection of classes.
If you are into these games for interesting mechanics like I am, the first 15 to 20 hours can feel like quite a tease, but it feels incredibly rewarding after that.

I honestly can't remember the last time a game did this to me. I'm so used to games offering me all their mechanics right from the start. But I probably wouldn't have kept at it if I wasn't aware of how much content the game has to offer after a certain point.

Well, that's good to hear. Like I said, I don't hate it or anything. It's not "bad'", it's just not super compelling right now. It's enough to keep me going, but I don't I will be able to continue if it's just the same stuff over and over. I'm glad new mechanics unlock soon(ish) and there are more interesting dungeons and enemies that will come along. Hopefully, I can stick it out until then.

PSFan

As much as I'd like to replay IX one day, I dare not wipe my file which has all the DLC quest downloaded on it.

It's not really DLC. Everything is on the cart and can be unlocked with an AR code. All you download is an unlock flag really.

jb1234

Played through the first hour and a half. It's definitely DQVII. I was getting flashbacks to when I played through the PSX version in my early 20s. Hearing the sad town theme especially took me back (even though the synth remains greatly disappointing).

rivalneo

Neo Member
I must be missing something obvious here, but I'm stuck looking for a green gem in rainbow mines. I've reached a room (just after 2 rooms with a puzzle each involving moving gem blocks around). According to a video I checked there should be a set of steps to take me further down but there's nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Aeana

I reached Haven 10 hours ago but nobody joined ever ahah.

How do I get people to join ?

The person there tells you where to find the first town member. Then after that, the person you get to join will tell you where to find the next person when you talk to them at the Haven.

R0ckman

Need help with something, puzzle description is too vague for the mechanics provided for solving the puzzle.

painting puzzle where you go into the twisted world and it asks you to trace ypur steps.

Edit: Ah nevermind.

UltraSven

Neo Member
I've been playing this for the past hour and I'm loving it! I've never played a Dragon Quest before although I do own Dragon Quest IX...

Oh my god. I totally blocked out the
Notto Disu Shitto Agen (Loomin which is now literally named Nottagen because localization teams love memes)
Town from my memory. For good reason. What a pain in all my butts.

AKA:
The town that wouldn't stay saved!

Aeana

Need help with something, puzzle description is too vague for the mechanics provided for solving the puzzle.

painting puzzle where you go into the twisted world and it asks you to trace ypur steps.

To go backwards on a clock, you go counter-clockwise.

Shin-chan

How come my MC seems to always lag behind in the needed exp to level up, even though he's been there from the start and has never died (no one has)? Is exp calculated weirdly, or does he just need more than the others early on or something?

I have played the PS1 version before, but not very much maybe about 10-15 hours. But the start of the 3DS version is still rough going for me. So much running back and forth with no action, if they could've added a few enemies on the field between the fishing village and the castle to break it up and earn a bit of gold and XP, I think I would've been ok. It's taking all my resolve to keep going because I never thought we'd get DQ7 over here, but they don't make it easy!

SuperSah

Banned
How come my MC seems to always lag behind in the needed exp to level up, even though he's been there from the start and has never died (no one has)? Is exp calculated weirdly, or does he just need more than the others early on or something?

No idea, but even Ruff at level 3-4 requires as much exp as someone levelled 9-10, lol.

Tillbo

I wondered that too. Seems that as I level up my MC seems to get further and further behind the rest of the party? Odd as obviously he's been in all battles?

Shin-chan

Oh well, I guess it's just one of those quirks.

6 hours or so in and just revisiting the volcano. Enjoying my time so far, but I've spent most of it simply hitting attack. It's FFXIII all over again! :p

Aeana

Oh well, I guess it's just one of those quirks.

6 hours or so in and just revisiting the volcano. Enjoying my time so far, but I've spent most of it simply hitting attack. It's FFXIII all over again! :p

One of the game's weaknesses is that it keeps you in a state that is usually only in the first hour or so of any other DQ, for a longer period. When you open up the class system, things will get a lot more varied. Well, it will before that as your characters learn some of their innate spells and skills, but not as much.

But I coldnt find anyone in ember :eek: does the past count?

There are progress locks on the people, with the guy in Emberdale being the first one that requires some progress before he becomes available. The person who tells you about that does mention that at the end of her hint, I believe. That he might not be there now, or something to that effect.

Heropon

I was wondering why Maribel was mysteriously resistant to enemies's magical attacks and it didn't occur to me that she had equipped a gear with that property. I want to facepalm.

The real dilemma is if it's worth it to equip this bustier that I found in a cupboard that has more defense but without special properties. Scratch that, there's no problem as Ruff's armor is worse than this and he can equip it, good for him.

Kinsei

Banned
Do you need to progress further for the Haven resident in the Faraday region to show up? I've been to every area there and I can't find them.

But I coldnt find anyone in ember :eek: does the past count?

The girl tells you that you might not be able to find him yet. He becomes available after you finish the island right after unlocking Haven. You don't need him to get the bar though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
There are progress locks on the people, with the guy in Emberdale being the first one that requires some progress before he becomes available. The person who tells you about that does mention that at the end of her hint, I believe. That he might not be there now, or something to that effect.

That's what I figured,
working on abbey now

Shin-chan

One of the game's weaknesses is that it keeps you in a state that is usually only in the first hour or so of any other DQ, for a longer period. When you open up the class system, things will get a lot more varied. Well, it will before that as your characters learn some of their innate spells and skills, but not as much.

Yeah, I'd heard that going in so I'll stick with it.

I can't imagine what a surprise it was back in the day to discover that the game hadn't really begun until you were 15-20 hours in.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Past the Faraday stuffs now thankfully. Whole lotsa backtracking an the castle was annoying to move around through. Wish I could get to the vocation stuff soon but it looks like this latest islands not gonna bring me that either.

Wait a minute, NOA is doing download tablets but the first batch expire on Sept 30th? I just finished Bally Malloy, I hope I can unlock the download pub in time, kind of an annoying time crunch they're putting on these, why not just keep them up for everyone?

YourMaster

The real dilemma is if it's worth it to equip this bustier that I found in a cupboard that has more defense but without special properties. Scratch that, there's no problem as Ruff's armor is worse than this and he can equip it, good for him.

In general it is quite common in DQ games for the special properties of equipment to trump potential higher defense.

GeekyDad

Just started. First time playing VII. Doesn't take more than a few minutes to pull me. DQ is always so magical. Still my favorite RPG series...

MoonFrog

Yep, I'm liking the story and exploration but the combat and character building aspects have gone pretty much nowhere up to this point (past Abbey). I'm not enjoying the lack of abilities and the situations that call for them.

Really want to open up that abbey and get some more exciting combat roles going. It's just unfortunate that so much otherwise good content has been lacking on this front. Way too much. Feels like my characters are still at first or second dungeon level of role speciality.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ya can't Zoom to places in the past so if for some reason ya gotta revisit some place in the past ya gotta run from the portal to the town again? An then right back to the portal naturally. Because this isn't DQ6. So you're not getting a "switch worlds" zoom option. A whole other level of padding has been unlocked~

Top Bottom