• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

mstevens

If you have unlocked Haven, and don't know what tablet dungeons are, it's not the game's fault... because she literally tells you to go check out the downstairs area, where the tablet dungeon plinth is.

I think I know what the problem was. She doesn't mention the plinth until you find the first resident, and I misunderstood the quest and was looking for a slime shaped thing to talk to.. Not a human. My bad.

OK, can anyone tell me where to use these damn tombola tickets?

You have to upgrade The Haven more.

Damn this remake looks and sounds super good. I think my 3DS is falling apart from not being used since Legend of Legacy though..

If it is an XL, the hinge or the analog stick would have broken with normal use, so... don't know what to say. The 3DSXL hinges are garbage. The most recently produced models even have extra reinforcements in the hinge that of course does nothing to prevent the system from snapping in half. Don't feel bad. I treat my machines like delicate flowers and mine still snapped in half.

duckroll

Damn this remake looks and sounds super good. I think my 3DS is falling apart from not being used since Legend of Legacy though..

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Still waiting for Maribel to "get better". She's still slinging shit left and right an still due for a puntin' if/when more people permanently join!

Oh an this game upholds the DQ tradition of having a lousy in-game timer. My save file time is nearly 3 an a half hours behind what the 3DS activity log shows ~_~

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Having a great time playing this for the first time so far. The game just have a great atmosphere, and good pacing. Just cleared the first volcano island

Heropon

Oh, sometimes this game confuses me a lot. I suppossedly need an item to complete a dungeon so I go to the island where it's supposedly located but then the party chat is basically: "Why the hell are we here!? We must hurry for our real destiny in dungeon X!" so I go back because maybe there's some trigger there but no, I really needed that item so I must go back to get it and redo the dungeon again.

At least there are metal slimes in that place, but no luck so far recruiting them.

That triple boss fight in Frobisher was a doozy after getting rekt by a cannibox just before. I had to grind my party up a few levels and upgrade my gear in order to defeat them the second time around. First challenging section so far.

SuperSah

Banned
Yeah, I was pretty surprised. I've just gone to the present and got a bit of a surprise(but I won't ruin it for you).;)

Gonna continue tomorrow so I imagine you'll overtake me anyway.

Oh boy, this is gonna be good.

I've taken a break for the rest of the night, I just wanted to breeze this section since I was on it for about 3 days, but now it's over I can take a break and play something else for the night lol

Heropon

Last blue tablet spoilers?
Since when I could use the blue teleporter in the sanctuary? I needed to use it to get what I needed but I thought these unlocked by using a teleport in one of the present islands of that color. I'm confused.

Cruixant

Last blue tablet spoilers?
Since when I could use the blue teleporter in the sanctuary? I needed to use it to get what I needed but I thought these unlocked by using a teleport in one of the present islands of that color. I'm confused.

IIRC
that one is unlocked automatically early in the game, and it's not used to teleport you to other islands. Instead, it served as a shortcut from the puzzle room to the Ancient Ruins' exit in the original. I guess in the remake it's only used in order to reach the cove now, but I'm not sure how early that is compared to the psx version.

Heropon

IIRC
that one is unlocked automatically early in the game, and it's not used to teleport you to other islands. Instead, it served as a shortcut from the puzzle room to the Ancient Ruins' exit in the original. I guess in the remake it's only used in order to reach the cove now, but I'm not sure how early that is compared to the psx version.

So if the Ancient Ruins hadn't been gutted maybe I'd been stuck looking for the cove less time, hmm. Uh, they should've thought about this more, because using the blue teleport you don't have any memory of unlocking/using to get to the cove you're looking for isn't logical. Even less when the other teleporters go to other islands.

Cruixant

So if the Ancient Ruins hadn't been gutted maybe I'd been stuck looking for the cove less time, hmm. Uh, they should've thought about this more, because using the blue teleport you don't have any memory of unlocking/using to get to the cove you're looking for isn't logical. Even less when the other teleporters go to other islands.

Yeah it's pretty weird, I honestly don't get why they changed this. If it's unlocked much later in the remake, then that's pretty disappointing. Especially since it's a really nice-looking place and was one of the things that made the first few trips into the Ancient Ruins feel so mysterious/memorable. Oh well.

Croc

Banned
Do Intermediate jobs keep all of their abilities after swtiching too? I know the person in Alltrades says the higher levels jobs don't keep their skills but I wasn't sure if that was just Advanced or included Intermediate too

Aeana

Do Intermediate jobs keep all of their abilities after swtiching too? I know the person in Alltrades says the higher levels jobs don't keep their skills but I wasn't sure if that was just Advanced or included Intermediate too

Nope, it's advanced and intermediate.

Croc

Banned
Nope, it's advanced and intermediate.

Okay, so what that says to me is the best way to progress through jobs is to do the basic ones you know you're going to need first, and then move on to intermediate/advanced ones after. That way you don't to go back to basic jobs later in the game without those better abilities?

That's the impression I'm getting, but I dunno if it would really make that much of a difference.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I remember playing Dragon Quest VII back when it came out and it was really hard to force myself to play/enjoy it. However, since then, I've fallen in love with playing RPGs on the go and with it being on the 3DS with all the changes/updates, I've simply fallen in love with it again and have been playing non-stop during my travels. Kudos S-E/Nintendo!

Aeana

Okay, so what that says to me is the best way to progress through jobs is to do the basic ones you know you're going to need first, and then move on to intermediate/advanced ones after. That way you don't to go back to basic jobs later in the game without those better abilities?

That's the impression I'm getting, but I dunno if it would really make that much of a difference.

The basic jobs are super quick to master, either way, so it doesn't matter that much. Also keep in mind that you can learn intermediate class abilities permanently via monster hearts.

Daouzin

I remember playing Dragon Quest VII back when it came out and it was really hard to force myself to play/enjoy it. However, since then, I've fallen in love with playing RPGs on the go and with it being on the 3DS with all the changes/updates, I've simply fallen in love with it again and have been playing non-stop during my travels. Kudos S-E/Nintendo!

Glad you're loving it this time around. It's my favorite in the series. Despite some flaws, I think it's strengths largely out weigh them, but I get it isn't for everyone.

Aeana

I actually found one of these this evening, haven't touched it yet, how exactly does that work?

Monster hearts let you turn into monster classes. Place the heart into the character's inventory, then that monster will show up in the list when you go to change their class.

mstevens

I know that intermediate and advanced skills aren't permanent, but do you get them back if you switch back to that class, or do you start over?

Just hit level 14 at Roamer's Encampment.
I'm hoping I can get the jobs unlocked without leveling too much more.

Aeana

I know that intermediate and advanced skills aren't permanent, but do you get them back if you switch back to that class, or do you start over?

Just hit level 14 at Roamer's Encampment.
I'm hoping I can get the jobs unlocked without leveling too much more.

Yes, class progress is maintained.

Monster hearts let you turn into monster classes. Place the heart into the character's inventory, then that monster will show up in the list when you go to change their class.

That's cool, I'm not sure I've found anything in game yet that told me about that, I'll need to have a fuss around tomorrow.

The class system is this is slightly overwhelming at first, what the actual benefits of each class is, whether certain classes are suited to certain characters etc, but I think I'm rolling now. Unlocked gladiator, sage and pirate so must be doing something right ha

kenta

Has no PEINS
Apologies because I know this discussion has happened once before but I wasn't far enough in the game to remember the details: why is only one person in my party progressing in their vocation? We've all fought the same number of battles but only one of them is gaining new skills and whatnot. Most party members are level 22, one is level 19. Is there a good place to grind out vocations shortly after you unlock them?

Kinsei

Banned
Apologies because I know this discussion has happened once before but I wasn't far enough in the game to remember the details: why is only one person in my party progressing in their vocation? We've all fought the same number of battles but only one of them is gaining new skills and whatnot. Most party members are level 22, one is level 19. Is there a good place to grind out vocations shortly after you unlock them?

Because there's a level cap for job progression in each area and two of them are over it. The best place to grind after you got them was the first tablet dungeon but the level cap for that area is 20 so you can't use that one. I'd recommend the drake slime tablet dungeon for your current level.

xjckh mess

Yes, Autonymus.

I didn't quite get the princess' role in the story. Is she related to Ellie?

Ellie is her older sister. Ellie was also the former princess before she died

There's a conversation you can overhear between the princess and Autonymus that explains this near the end of the events but I think it's optional. Not sure if you got that

MegalonJJ

Banned
Dig site help Hadid

I need to get to the dig site and I cannot recall where it is. Anyone know the nearest Zoom point please?

Top Bottom