• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

I just killed 10 metal slimes back t back
I dont know what to believe anymore
Oh bt afterwards i get to fight 2 bosses back to back without warning and my entire team dies
Not that big a deal since exp isnt an issue for me atm

Haha am I weird for actively avoiding metal slimes when they're abundant? I'd rather get more fights in for the same amount of xp and levwlmy jobs that way without hitting the area caps. Two of my guys have maxed hero class now so it doesn't matter as much but that was my line of thinking

zroid

Banned
Haha am I weird for actively avoiding metal slimes when they're abundant? I'd rather get more fights in for the same amount of xp and levwlmy jobs that way without hitting the area caps. Two of my guys have maxed hero class now so it doesn't matter as much but that was my line of thinking
I spent a bunch of time killing those when I first discovered them but then I realized this would become a problem if I level up too fast, lol

I don't avoid them per se but I definitely don't go out of my way to find them anymore

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Do all enemies drop hearts? I specifically want a metal smile and the slime knight.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Can anyone describe the level of challenge in this game. The only thing holding me back from diving in this game is my fear that this is baby's first JRPG and the battles are not engaging from a tactical standard.

I spent a bunch of time killing those when I first discovered them but then I realized this would become a problem if I level up too fast, lol

I don't avoid them per se but I definitely don't go out of my way to find them anymore

Haha thank god the response wasn't any thing like "it doesn't work that way" hahah. Yea the level cap for jobs is quite strange, really discourages you from fighting certain enemies if you want to make decent progress on your jobs.

Just arrived in the vogograd area, about 70 hours ish on the clock, level 32.

Can anyone describe the level of challenge in this game. The only thing holding me back from diving in this game is my fear that this is baby's first JRPG and the battles are not engaging from a tactical standard.

Haha I wouldn't say the game is too easy at all, nor would I claim it's tactical either though by and large it's very meat and potatoes jrpg fighting and quite brute force outside of using a few spells like insulate, magic guard, kabuff and sap. For me at least.

From my experience using status effects and buffing has won most battles in the game once you can learn them. In fact one very tactical ability the Shepard class learns is incredibly strong in the game.

Scrawnton

From my experience using status effects and buffing has won most battles in the game once you can learn them. In fact one very tactical ability the Shepard class learns is incredibly strong in the game.

Until the typical Dragon Quest Eff You comes into play where bosses start using Disruptive Wave every turn.

Do all enemies drop hearts? I specifically want a metal smile and the slime knight.
No, not all enemies drop Hearts. The Big Book of Beasts will tell you which ones do, though. You must have encountered them to gain their entry.

Metal Slime, Slime Knight, and Metal Slime Knight don't drop their Hearts.

^ beaten like a lowly Slime.

Until the typical Dragon Quest Eff You comes into play where bosses start using Disruptive Wave every turn.

Even then, Disruptive Wave kills a turn and you can do the same to bosses. Sure, it's annoying to reactivate your buffs/saps/oomphs but it's hardly an F-you, at least in my experiences with DQ4, and 5.

Tizoc

Lkewise

Well i beat the boss and got the nail blighter tablet which apparently has no level cap
Also lonster tamer teaches kabuff it seems

kenta

Has no PEINS
So what's a good mix of classes to work towards having in your party? I've got a Hero and a Druid and I'm good with those, but should I round it out with a... Champion and a...nother... Hero? Or have someone stop at a Paladin or something? I'm not sure what would make a really well rounded mix...

Finally got through inopp and gonz ( rashers and stripes). After that all trades was just as I remembered.

And the return of the Shepard hero! Lampede( stampede) will be mine. Made gabo (ruff) a healslime and maribel a mage.

So monster abilities and first level class skills stay but higher tiers do not. Gotcha

Velcro Fly

Yeah it is still fun that before I can even act Kiefer takes 80 damage and is dead during like phase 3 of a boss event. Goodbye half my gold.

Game is fun but is just entirely infuriating sometimes. You can just get RNG fucked hard without it being your fault at all. Oh the boss this turn decides to act before the person you have set to heal? Too bad! Wasting precious MP casting midheal on someone at like 95% HP was nice too.

I guess I just have to use zero MP for that entire dungeon and just have everyone's inventory full of medicinal herbs to heal themselves. Fun fun fun

Edit: Not having to fight through the first two parts of the encounter again is really nice. My frustration level has dropped back down. RNG was pretty good second try. Got Sap on twice in two attempts. Didn't get the pattern where it attacked someone and desperate attacked them on the same turn. Too bad that RNG cost me like 4,000 gold :(

So what's a good mix of classes to work towards having in your party? I've got a Hero and a Druid and I'm good with those, but should I round it out with a... Champion and a...nother... Hero? Or have someone stop at a Paladin or something? I'm not sure what would make a really well rounded mix...

My fourth person is going to be monsters

Yeah it is still fun that before I can even act Kiefer takes 80 damage and is dead during like phase 3 of a boss event. Goodbye half my gold.

Game is fun but is just entirely infuriating sometimes. You can just get RNG fucked hard without it being your fault at all. Oh the boss this turn decides to act before the person you have set to heal? Too bad! Wasting precious MP casting midheal on someone at like 95% HP was nice too.

I guess I just have to use zero MP for that entire dungeon and just have everyone's inventory full of medicinal herbs to heal themselves. Fun fun fun

Edit: Not having to fight through the first two parts of the encounter again is really nice. My frustration level has dropped back down. RNG was pretty good second try. Got Sap on twice in two attempts. Didn't get the pattern where it attacked someone and desperate attacked them on the same turn. Too bad that RNG cost me like 4,000 gold :(

What part of the game were you at?

Oregano

Spoilers for after El Ciclo

It was nice to go to Greenthumb Gardens and revisit that plotline although it got sad up at the convent. Was that bit required for story progression though?

I hope I revisit other places during different time periods but it makes it weirder that Emberdale isn't connected in the past too.

Velcro Fly

What part of the game were you at?

The island where they were fighting the robots. I'm still pretty early in the game. Was not aware there would be a third part of the fight so my group was not topped off on HP so Kiefer died really quickly on the last fight. Once he was down it was just a slow grind to a full party wipe. I'm convinced with his damage output I could have won :(

zroid

Banned
Spoilers for after El Ciclo

It was nice to go to Greenthumb Gardens and revisit that plotline although it got sad up at the convent. Was that bit required for story progression though?

I hope I revisit other places during different time periods but it makes it weirder that Emberdale isn't connected in the past too.

when I first realized the bridge was going to connect to that region, i just assumed it was a gimmick that would take you to the same time in the past that you visited earlier. what actually happened kind of blew my mind. so awesome. and there was a ton of new story content there between the two towns.

piggychan

Is the Edged Boomerang pretty good? Unsure if its worth the 2300 gold it costs.

EDIT:

Beaten !

The damage is less than a weapon that does a single strike but weapons like boomerang and whips that can hit a row of multiple enemies in one strike is a plus in my book.

Just beaten the demon king, was pretty easy or maybe I was overpowered..

The island where they were fighting the robots. I'm still pretty early in the game. Was not aware there would be a third part of the fight so my group was not topped off on HP so Kiefer died really quickly on the last fight. Once he was down it was just a slow grind to a full party wipe. I'm convinced with his damage output I could have won :(

Oh, that is a tough fight for sure, but for the most part for the early game Buff is your friend, and having Kiefer use focus strength is usually useful because it can do more damage than just attacking twice, I believe.

It is in prior games, but since Ruff starts with multi-target moves already and some classes let you learn more, I haven't really felt like I missed out on it when I decided to save money instead.

zroid

Banned
Edged Boomerang is great, I've been using it with Ruff for a while now, even though several stronger single-target weapons have been available for him.

i'll probably change that up once he learns Lightning or Thin Air but for now, yeah

rpmurphy

Since you can change equips during battles if the weapons (and other equipment) are in the party member's inventory (gotta switch out of AI tactics though), carrying both multi- and single-target weapons is I think an important game mechanic. It especially comes in handy with weapons that can be used as items.

Since you can change equips during battles if the weapons (and other equipment) are in the party member's inventory (gotta switch out of AI tactics though), carrying both multi- and single-target weapons is I think an important game mechanic. It especially comes in handy with weapons that can be used as items.

I didn't know this actually.

rpmurphy

I didn't know this actually.
Yeah, weapons that do status effects, additional elemental damage, or healing, or armor that protect against elemental and magic damage or status effects, or accessories that boost stats or other effects... they become more abundant over the course of the game, and oftentimes will mean life-or-death for party members in dungeon and boss battles. It makes AI tactics much more effective if you have the right inventory setup, and you'll cut down on a lot of the feeling of need to grind to progress. Don't just stick everything you aren't immediately equipping in the bag.

Wurliwurm

I am stuck... at the lighthouse
I am on the top of the lighthouse and there is a black flame. i don´t know what to do now...
edit: i found the solution... how should anyone figure this out?

Oregano

when I first realized the bridge was going to connect to that region, i just assumed it was a gimmick that would take you to the same time in the past that you visited earlier. what actually happened kind of blew my mind. so awesome. and there was a ton of new story content there between the two towns.

Yeah, I was like "Wait, what?". It was totes emotes though.

Just finished the Dharma Temple...I mean, Alltrades. Went with warrior for my mc, priest for Maribel, and Shepherd for Ruff. Wanna put Maribel on as Martial Artist but I need more spells first.

Buy them. And when you get more powerful single target weapons keep the boomerangs in their inventory. During a fight against multiple targets, switch to boomerang by going to your character and then item, and equip it. Equipping doesn't waste a turn. Kill the minions with the rang. Then when the boss is alone, switch to your more powerful weapon.

DQ pro tip.

lol beaten

Ydelnae

Just finished past Providence. All that backtracking through the same dungeon was very offensive. They don't need to pull off BS like that.

Desert village

Ok so what's this about golden horns? I talked to the old guy and the young women but I don't get what they are trying to say.

I have a few more missions before getting to All Trades but am kind of having mixed feelings about whether or not I'm really going to fully tackle the jobs, might be partly because this will be the first RPG I've ever played with a jobs system and am also wondering how rewarding it really is, is it fun or does it feel tedious? Apprx how many hours would it take to level up all vocations for every character (guessing not many people do that)? So far for me the game has a challenging yet nicely chill feeling I don't want to ruin for myself. Not trying to be negative or close minded, just looking for some feedback and general tips from veterans here as to how a total jobs noob should approach this.

Tizoc

"Al-Shallal" indeed.

tHIS your First Dragon Quest game? Ever since DQ8 (my first DQ game), Boomerangs have been a must buy for me in any DQ game that would have them.
Boomerangs are great for ending battles quickly so always aim to buy them along with Whips.

goldenpp72

Anyone have tips for the wind boss in the angel wing place? He devastated my team with wind moves despite my chara feeling over powered in the area prior. Level 28 for my main and 22 for the newer chars.

Top Bottom