• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Producer

I have been neglecting this game so much for another 3ds rpg. Gonna get back into it. I hear there is some streetpass/internet function that was limited time? Did i miss the boat on that?

Tizoc

OK 2 base Vocations per character left, after that I continue the game :V
I also now have 30K Gold, which is more Gold than I'm ever gonna need this early/late in the game :V

Also Lightning is too Stronk
:V

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Zoom just doesn't work in the past or in buildings/dungeons. It works in open towns and in the present.
It didn't work in the present
town you get the magic carpet
in prior to getting said item. Maybe it does now, ages later after I've finally gotten it o.o? Who knows or cares since theres no reason to go back now. Is it a big deal I had to walk outta that town onto the world map to zoom away? Not in and of itself but these little inconsistancies have been adding up the entire game x.x;

That ya couldn't Zoom away off that mountaintop place in the present and instead had to walk back through a multi-floor dungeon for the howmany-th time is just treating the player like crap. An why? Okays so the players gotten used to this games unintuitive event triggers, so maybe you're thinking something down in presnet
Providence
is waiting for ya? Nopes! There wasn't an event.

Sounds like you're getting burnt out. Take a break for a few days. I don't think this game is meant to be something you grind through. I'm 25-30 hours in and still loving it, but I take a break from it every few days.
I'm only burnt out from going back and forth through the same dungeon a ton of times because, idk maybe the game designers were drunk that day?

Zoom not working in the past is something I will never fully get over. At first I thought I was doing something wrong.
It doesn't make sense but Zoom not working in the present when not being plot-blocked makes even less sense!

I also now have 30K Gold, which is more Gold than I'm ever gonna need this early/late in the game :V
Thats how I always think when playing these games! "Wow I've got so much gold I'm go ta go for the endgame!" then it comes up and I end up regretting purchases here and there lol. Luckily skills are pretty great in this game so I've been saving money not upgrading weapons for a long time now. Scorch/Thin Air = who needs regular attacks?

piggychan

At this map where there is a foggy forest and the town has a monster priest and, I gotten locked up.

So just managed to escape from Mount Gora and the size of the maps full of monsters are some of the games biggest and complex yet... T_____T

EDIT
The green are entrance/exits for underground cave maps and I don't feel like exploring all of it..
WVW69jrB0iAptuJt19

Games backtracking status upgraded to: [Extremely Obnoxiously Excessive] level

Zoom? What is Zoom? When does it work? When doesn't it work? Not in the past. Sometimes not even in the present! Why? Who could say? Enjoy your trips trekking through the Mountaintop Pass 4 times!

Honestly I haven't seen you do anything else but complain in this OT, not sure why you keep playing something that annoys you lol

I totally lost it last night when I realized why Nottagen was named that. A perfectly subtle and appropriate pun.

eSbquTb.gif

Croc

Banned
I totally lost it last night when I realized why Nottagen was named that. A perfectly subtle and appropriate pun.

Nintenleo

Simple (I guess) question. Are ALL of the fragments needed to finish the game? I'm talking about a certain fragment that needs
100 minimedals
to get.

Heropon

I chickened out in the bonus dungeon
and told the Almighty that I didn't want to fight so he was "Now you teleport somewhere else immediately and do the dungeon again" Nooooo.

Everyone that does this is insane, haha.

Congrats though!

Thanks for that. The axe itself is reward in itself on top of being able to make robots run away from me on the map for going over the level cap.

I feel like I got one of these on my first automaton kill. Why are people going after them?

Pretty sure the weapon isn't available for purchase from stores for another couple of islands, if I recall. Also, having not gotten it in the PSX version, I wanted to fill out the Automaton encyclopedia entry with at least one item drop before they vanish for good.

Couple of questions about Frobisher/Faraday...

Defeated the boss. Where does Autonymous go after he storms out of the King's throne room

A girl in Frobisher says her little brother is missing. Is this a side quest?

R0ckman

Envoy can get ****ed, fought him and he used speed cheese and spammed my characters to sleep on top of kaswoosh doing tons of damage despite being able to double down on magic barrier twice a turn. It was like the barrier moves did nothing to minimize his damage with that move.

First time I died in the game, went back with agility rings and he still causes issues but I stacked oomph, focus strenght and knuckle sandwhich and basically killed him in two attacks. Lol.

zroid

Banned
end of El Ciclo quest

getting to see what happened in one of the other stories a few decades into the future is pretty awesome

goldenpp72

So I just reached an area named providence, and am about 40 hours in and have a party of 4 right now. How far in would this clock me? I have filled in almost all the stone tablets I can reach at the moment, so just curious to see where i'm at. I just finally figured out how to progress here after 2 days, made a mistake on my end for once, heh.

Mercury Bandanas are amazing. who the heck needs Agility Rings?!
I know, they're so cheap as well!

I don't think enough people know where the Vendor is - you have to clear El Ciclo (Past), then head over to Wilted Heart and find the item vendor on the balcony of the biggest house in town.

goldenpp72

I don't think enough people know where the Vendor is - you have to clear El Ciclo (Past), then head over to Wilted Heart and find the item vendor on the balcony of the biggest house in town.

I just checked this area and don't even see a balcony, am I in the wrong spot?

R0ckman

Do you ever see Fingers again after the Abbey? Seems weird that he decides not to do what his originally story had set him up for and then he just vanishes. He may as well have joined the party permanently.

Jay RaR

Jeebus, took me about 81 hours but I finally beat the supremely hard post game content.

Man, the Almighty is undoubtedly the hardest boss in the game and it makes me wonder how he lost/made a draw to the Demon King lol. Its true RNG hell even if you have the best equipment on. Fuck his lightning bolt attack, got no way to cover for that and it can end up wasting my party in a snap. I would get more annoyed at his One Liners and Boogeying but I had quite a few free turns from that so I'm not quite as mad haha. Beating him 3 times in under 20 turns is utterly ridiculous, I mean even though I beat him the first 2 times no problem he started being a pain after the 3rd try. Got him on my 5th, so I'm supremely lucky on that haha.

The 4 Spirits are not as bad compared to their master although the start and the Wind Spirit gave me a hard time. I started toying around with the Fire Spirit since he couldn't do squat to my party, but sad I couldn't pull off Pearly Gates before Mervyn killed him lol.

Not sure if I should complete mastering the Druid Class for Mervyn and the Prism Peacock class for Maribel now, lol.

zroid

Banned

lol I bought 3 Bandanas and sold my 2 Agility Rings

net profit!

Embarrassingly, I had to have someone point it out to me in here...and I still didn't get it straight away :L great scenario though, one of my favourites so far.

I just checked this area and don't even see a balcony, am I in the wrong spot?
You need to be in El Ciclo (Past) to access the correct location, just going to Wilted Heart in the Present won't do much.

Although it is amusing, if I recall correctly, it is the same balcony area where the current mansion owner chases maids around all day.

I'm still early in the game, around the part where you meet the wolf boy. Does the game get harder after a while? I enjoy DQ7 a lot so far (although the beginning was rough) but the fights are a bit lackluster, there's no challenge at all, even during the boss fights.

Kaname

Need help after completing all the tablets.
It says there's a temple in the sky where I probably have to go to use the mysterious fragments that I'm currently finding around the world but I have no idea how to reach it or even where to start :( can anybody help me pls?

Parshias7

So I've finished Alltrades and grinded out some job levels. When do I get the next party member? I'm considering grinding out basic jobs some more but I'd need to grind the new guy too so I don't want to grind away if the next member is on the next island or whatever.

redcrayon

Need help after completing all the tablets.
It says there's a temple in the sky where I probably have to go to use the mysterious fragments that I'm currently finding around the world but I have no idea how to reach it or even where to start :( can anybody help me pls?

Head for
the shrine at the pool of piety, which is east of Faraday Castle. It looks like a shrine with a pool behind it as you approach on the flying carpet, but you can just walk there too. There's a door that requires you to have the sacred stone from the Vale. An underwater path will lead you to the temple.

I actually went there immediately after getting that item, as I had previously explored that shrine way back when exploring that island first time around, and remembered the door and an npc talking about it!

Took a break for a few days and beat the area with the Ygg. Had my first party wipe out not being prepared for multiple group attacks in a row from the boss. Wasn't to difficult when I was fully healed the next battle tho. Hurt losing half my gold tho.

The vignette style of this game is nice for a handheld device. Each island is the perfect length for what I want to play each night.

redcrayon

I'm still early in the game, around the part where you meet the wolf boy. Does the game get harder after a while? I enjoy DQ7 a lot so far (although the beginning was rough) but the fights are a bit lackluster, there's no challenge at all, even during the boss fights.

Yes, it does get harder. For me there was a noticable jump when bosses start use attacks that hit all party members, as suddenly I was using two party members as healers or the Paladin multi-heal ability a lot more, and also use of king/ka-zing (revive). Basic enemy fights haven't had any challenge at all throughout the game though, but then I've had the party on AI, maybe it makes them too good at selecting abilities to inflict the most damage.

TrutaS

I'm still early in the game (20 hours in) and was wondering about this end-game content. Does the game have an main ending story-wise and them content you can continue to do after that? Or is it really super uber huge?

When you reach jobs, is that considered midway in terms of story or not even?

Yes, it does get harder. For me there was a noticable jump when bosses start use attacks that hit all party members, as suddenly I was using two party members as healers or the Paladin multi-heal ability a lot more, and also use of king/ka-zing (revive). Basic enemy fights haven't had any challenge at all throughout the game though, but then I've had the party on AI, maybe it makes them too good at selecting abilities to inflict the most damage.

Thanks, that's good to know. I don't mind the basic fights being easy (I use the party AI as well as I usually do in DQ games) but I have been a little bit disappointed by the boss fights so far so I'm looking forward to the jump in difficulty.

And aside from that, I just want to mention that I love the english localization. The integration of german and italian idioms is hilarious but it also helps to differentiate every region. I love the DQ games because every town has its own history and they always offer some very memorable micro-adventures.

rpmurphy

Couple of questions about Frobisher/Faraday...

Defeated the boss. Where does Autonymous go after he storms out of the King's throne room

A girl in Frobisher says her little brother is missing. Is this a side quest?
He goes talks with the Princess.

Her little brother was killed in the sacking, bro.

Kaname

Head for
the shrine at the pool of piety, which is east of Faraday Castle. It looks like a shrine with a pool behind it as you approach on the flying carpet, but you can just walk there too. There's a door that requires you to have the sacred stone from the Vale. An underwater path will lead you to the temple.

I actually went there immediately after getting that item, as I had previously explored that shrine way back when exploring that island first time around, and remembered the door and an npc talking about it!

Cheers, really saved my life lol

Tizoc

Sepling tablet level cap is 25
maribel hit lvl 25 and isnt getting any vocation levels in the tablet anymore :/

Kinsei

Banned
I had the same question and Googled it, the answer is
100. But I don't know if it's a fragment that's required to complete the game. I'm thinking it's not, but if it is, I guess I'm not finishing the game :p

It's actually 85.
It's for an optional post game area.

Croc

Banned
So what's the deal with the dark room in
that sanctuary North of the Vale
? It's saying the statues guide me but even after turning it I always fall off of the edge

Daouzin

I just completed the Sphinx dungeon.

The boss difficulty continues to climb, which I appreciate, but leveling up classes so quickly makes random mobs too easy. Between MC's Lightening and Gabo's Wolf calls, mobs get wiped easy peazy.

I played a few battles in the next area and it does seem like random mobs are getting fast enough to get a few attacks in.

I'm hoping to see the difficulty of the mobs rise, but if the bosses keep going how they are, I think the boss difficulty is looking good. A little scary, if anything.

Croc

Banned
Turn and follow tails.

oh. thanks lol. That seems kind of misleading especially when getting it wrong makes you fall down a hole and have to trek all the way back.

One more quick question to potentially save myself some time. Is there anywhere to heal myself in the area immediately after? That boss drained a lot of my resources and I'm thinking about using evac and resting up before continuing on. But I won't bother if there's something to restore myself in the next part.

zroid

Banned
That move which increases the defence of all party members is so great. Gritty Ditty, I think.

so much more efficient than using Buff.

Top Bottom