• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just killed 10 metal slimes back t back
I dont know what to believe anymore
Oh bt afterwards i get to fight 2 bosses back to back without warning and my entire team dies
Not that big a deal since exp isnt an issue for me atm

The
poison well chapter?
Just completed that myself.

Boss 2 was rather annoying.
Multi hit move that can end up hitting just one character for all the hits so literally OHKing them. Thank goodness for buff, but it was annoying to revive one character only to have them killed again before I could do anything.
Was lucky to survive by the skin of my teeth so I didn't have to do that dungeon all over again.

OK, now for a silly question. In DQVIII it was worth holding on to all the weak gear you found in cupboards and chests because of the alchemy system. Is there any point of holding on to rubbish gear in this? I'm not short on gold so I've never really needed to sell it, but it feels a bit lame to find useless items.

Regarding green thumb if you return later:
I got as far as camomile saying shed need to find proof against cayenne but she was being watched now. Is there something.more to be done I'm kinda stumped. Did everything I could over in wilted heart too. Is obvious cayenne is guilty, just not sure how to prove it

zroid

Banned
Regarding green thumb if you return later:
I got as far as camomile saying shed need to find proof against cayenne but she was being watched now. Is there something.more to be done I'm kinda stumped. Did everything I could over in wilted heart too. Is obvious cayenne is guilty, just not sure how to prove it

just enter the house through the main door and it should trigger an event. this kind of puzzled me too for a while.

Kind of behind most people here, but is it safe to skip all the Haven dungeons? I fear that I'll never beat this game by the release of FFXV if I do too much extra stuff.

just enter the house through the main door and it should trigger an event. this kind of puzzled me too for a while.

Hmmm, is it gated by how far you are in the main plot by any chance? I've returned a few times but
cayenne is just ay the table talking about getting rid of camomile

Kind of behind most people here, but is it safe to skip all the Haven dungeons? I fear that I'll never beat this game by the release of FFXV if I do too much extra stuff.

You should make sure you download the Squenix ones since they are on a ridiculously long rotation, they add 3 / week which stay up for 2 weeks. You need to clear 1 each to use Streetpass / Internet Streetpass. You can ignore the rest until you want to deal with them.

redcrayon

Yeah, they are completely inessential unless you're a conpletionist. The game's long enough already.

piggychan

The
poison well chapter?

holding on to rubbish gear in this? I'm not short on gold so I've never really needed to sell it, but it feels a bit lame to find useless items.

Just sell it. Is there an alchemy system in this ? I thought that was in DQVIII ?

Also this game just doesn't end!!! 90 hours in and still the game shows no sign of finishing XD

Haha I enjoyed this bit
WVW69jrX3hoDDYhIys

This was epic!
WVW69jrWvw8mb7Ayoi

magnetic

I´ve been flipping through Dragon Quest videos on YouTube, and I LOVE this theme:

Dragon Quest X - Might of the Being
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG9oQgiYG5Q

It love the chord progression around 0:35! Really sounds like the score to a lovely 1960s movie. A lot of his tunes have this nostalgic movie feeling in my eyes.

I have to say, I personally find the look of Dragon Quest X really interesting, the battle system especially (maybe I´m starting to develop an odd love for real time based semi-actiony systems).

Toriyamas art really shines in this game even more than usual, with gigantic female orcs as player characters, fantastic enemy animations and large castles, dungeons and palaces. I can´t say that I´m really into MMO mechanics, but I already really liked the open style of IX.

Try staying at the inn, then returning.

This worked, not sure what the problem was before but cheers!

Edit: I believe I'm totally done with the green thumbs/wilted heart scenario now. Wow. That has to be the best one by faaaar, would be surprised if any of what's left beat that. Really really good, they really follow through on everything, I think that's first time. I've ever saw something like that in a video game. Very sad on some notes, very much deserved on others. Nice.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Unsure of what to do at this point in the game... After Hubble...

Maribel is with her father, I don't have any fragments to place so I can't go to a new island, there isn't an outstanding fragment to retrieve according to the Info thing, and the floating demon dude in the Shrine says there's someone important waiting for me in a continent to the northwest. I assume he's talking about the Queen in Hubble but she just says she has a lot of paperwork to do and can't hang out. Not sure how to progress here... Feels like I've talked to everyone but did I miss something?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Unsure of what to do at this point in the game... After Hubble...

Maribel is with her father, I don't have any fragments to place so I can't go to a new island, there isn't an outstanding fragment to retrieve according to the Info thing, and the floating demon dude in the Shrine says there's someone important waiting for me in a continent to the northwest. I assume he's talking about the Queen in Hubble but she just says she has a lot of paperwork to do and can't hang out. Not sure how to progress here... Feels like I've talked to everyone but did I miss something?

Did you talk to the main character's dad?

I can't think of anything better in RPGs than getting new keys and in a Dragon Quest. Just got the bandit key and now I'm exploring opening locked doors.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I have a question concerning the number of part members:

I've just the tower next to El cico in the present. How long until I get the 4th party member?

Velcro Fly

So when someone leaves your party, do they take their equipment with them or does it get placed in your bag?

Also I am opening up chests and sometimes I open them and they are empty. Am I messing up by doing this? Also are there chests in the past that if I leave alone they have better stuff in the future? I think I am overthinking this but I worry about opening chests that are just empty.

zroid

Banned
oh jesus i just nearly gave myself a heart attack :lol

I quick saved last night and forgot I had done so, so when i loaded my file just now it looked like i lost like... 3 hours of progress

I have a few more missions before getting to All Trades but am kind of having mixed feelings about whether or not I'm really going to fully tackle the jobs, might be partly because this will be the first RPG I've ever played with a jobs system and am also wondering how rewarding it really is, is it fun or does it feel tedious? Apprx how many hours would it take to level up all vocations for every character (guessing not many people do that)? So far for me the game has a challenging yet nicely chill feeling I don't want to ruin for myself. Not trying to be negative or close minded, just looking for some feedback and general tips from veterans here as to how a total jobs noob should approach this.

Just keep playing in the same relaxed pace. By the time you get to the part where you can change jobs there's enough information given to you about the way the system works and you should know whether or not grinding job levels is for you.

OmegaFax

I'm loving every minute of this game so far. It's the richness in dialog. It seems like there's always something for the characters to say. I was surprised the dialog changes so much based on context. The gameplay isn't overbearing. Combat is Pokemon simple but still fun and unique in its own way. I like the way things are opening up. Feels episodic like there's good starting/stopping points.

rpmurphy

So when someone leaves your party, do they take their equipment with them or does it get placed in your bag?

Also I am opening up chests and sometimes I open them and they are empty. Am I messing up by doing this? Also are there chests in the past that if I leave alone they have better stuff in the future? I think I am overthinking this but I worry about opening chests that are just empty.
If it's permanent, you get everything. If it's temporary, anything not equipped goes to the bag. I think.

And yeah, there are just empty chests.

Velcro Fly

Spent almost all day playing and watching football.

I am at Alltrades Abbey now. I am preparing to be overwhelmed with what to do with jobs. I'm hoping to not be overleveled so I can take a job for a spin and level it a little bit.

I bought the hero an Edged Boomerang some time ago and it has really helped damage output for the entire group.

Really starting to enjoy the game.

Tizoc

Spent almost all day playing and watching football.

I am at Alltrades Abbey now. I am preparing to be overwhelmed with what to do with jobs. I'm hoping to not be overleveled so I can take a job for a spin and level it a little bit.

I bought the hero an Edged Boomerang some time ago and it has really helped damage output for the entire group.

Really starting to enjoy the game.

When you get to swap jobs, first master Sailor.
Use this guide and get the Zepling Tablet. Long as you are under Lvl. 25 you can max out your vocations in that Tablet.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/688276-dragon-quest-vii-fragments-of-the-forgotten-past/74326503
Maxing out Sailor gives you Lightning which costs 0 MP.
After learning it for all 3 characters, max out every other base class (best to start from Warrior so you can learn Hatchet Man).

Uh, wtf, my 3DS turned itself off.

I closed the 3DS to put it into sleep mode, and just opened it now 30 mins later and the whole system was off. Lost a ton of progress. Battery is at like 50%.

Amalthea

Banned
About recruiting monsters for the park:

I get the feeling that you can't recruit monsters for the monster park if you kill them with a very strong attack (like one that shatters stone or pottery enemies).

Is that true or is it because they are simply hard to tame?

Theres something weird I've noticed about Ruff, with some weapons (eg Iron Lance), Ruff gets a very low attack (15) , whereas Kiefer gets a high one (71), but with a Stone Axe Keifer gets 67 and Ruff 45. I thought weapon attack values were fixed ?

flowsnake

Holy shit the Envoy is a huge difficulty spike

Edit: The second time he didn't spam kasnooze on me every turn. Weird RNG luck I guess.

Don't think about it that way. Look at your class abilities or equipment as a first pass when you hit a wall. In this case, I would recommend learning shepard's wooly blanket ability; it'll help a ton.

Just want to say thanks forgot that I keep my spells and abilities from my old class.

Wish the visual of the classes was optional, though,
the protagonist first design is, in my opinion, his best design.

What's the secret to collecting monsters for monster meadow? I thought that's what the munchies were for, but using them in battle doesn't seem to work.

rpmurphy

What's the secret to collecting monsters for monster meadow? I thought that's what the munchies were for, but using them in battle doesn't seem to work.
Items like munchies, meaty treat, and that Monster Masher class's ability help improve chances for recruiting monsters, but monsters have different probabilities of joining you. Once you get the Book of Beasts, you can use it to look up how easy it is to recruit particular monsters you have encountered.

Velcro Fly

Yeah boss fights I lose them every single time. It's either a multi phased boss where I am in two or three brutal fights in a row or all my healing items are in my bags because I don't realize I won't have a chance to prepare before a boss. Really just kills my desire to keep playing.

Yeah boss fights I lose them every single time. It's either a multi phased boss where I am in two or three brutal fights in a row or all my healing items are in my bags because I don't realize I won't have a chance to prepare before a boss. Really just kills my desire to keep playing.

I didn't notice it until around the 40 hour mark but they always introduce the boss in a separate cutscene before he engage you in a fight, so if you already hurt with low resources use the escape spell with marabell, (cost 8 in mana) and maybe see if you can upgrade your weapon and armor.

(I'm in the village
with monsters
around 56 hours mark)

Wait you have to use the item? I thought just letting your character carry it was enough?

FAJqAib.png

Oregano

Post-Wetlock spoilers

It was cool to have Florin appear again. I'm really liking that the game is tying in earlier characters and plots.

I'm in the tallest tower now.

PS Goobris is cool

Tiktaalik

Still early on in the game going through this volcano dungeon. It's hard enough that I've had to go in and out a few times to heal. I'm somewhat baffled by the fact that my Evac spell fails every single time. What's up?

Also this never came up in the previous dungeons I've gone through so far, but in this one monsters are spawning like right infront of me constantly. I'll finish a battle, walk one step, and a monster spawns almost on top of me. Maybe the thin hallways in this dungeon mess up the monster spawning algorithm or something.

Arkeband

Banned

I haven't been wiped out once (outside of unwinnable fights) and I'm not even grinding, so you must be doing something wrong.

About 22 hours in at this point, been playing mostly between commercial breaks while watching baseball. I'm happy to see the difficulty spikes once you get to Alltrades. There's been battles now where I have to actually do different things instead of just spamming attack

Top Bottom