• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Velcro Fly

I have unlocked jobs.

Immediately I have come to a point where I could probably break the game pretty easily. Had I done a better job of keeping my levels down I could probably break it even more. I don't think I will go overboard job grinding but I may level one or two up.

Daouzin

You must have been really disappointed by Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, then. It doesn't have any battles at all!

Haha nice, I laughed out loud.

I just finished the clock tower dungeon. I think their decisions to level up classes faster is going to completely unbalance the game, but hopefully they tweaked stuff to make it work.

Haha nice, I laughed out loud.

I just finished the clock tower dungeon. I think their decisions to level up classes faster is going to completely unbalance the game, but hopefully they tweaked stuff to make it work.

It already has for me. I intentionally overgrinded vocations to experiment with game balance. Having MC as Hero means I can easily 2-turn a boss with Gigaslash. Yeah, I know, I'm insane.

Best scenarios so far:

- the first one with the female warrior
- the whole thing in the herb village

I'm loving the game but so far, the stories in DQVI were a lot better.

Best scenarios so far:

- the first one with the female warrior
- the whole thing in the herb village

I'm loving the game but so far, the stories in DQV were a lot better.

V's town stories are it's weakest part, and some of the weakest in the franchise. V is good for its core story. The town vignettes are eh.

goldenpp72

So I spent some time grinding jobs, I didn't realize that they maxed out so quick so I wasted a lot of potential growth there. Can someone run down the rules of the job system? I've heard things like level caps and such but don't really understand. Just want to pace it out as I don't want to under or over power from here.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Nottagen was good but woulda been so much better if you didn't have to walk to the warp portal or go back to the shrine of mysteries each and every visit.

I have unlocked jobs.

Immediately I have come to a point where I could probably break the game pretty easily. Had I done a better job of keeping my levels down I could probably break it even more. I don't think I will go overboard job grinding but I may level one or two up.

So I can only assume that as you level, the enemies level with you while ignoring job levels?

zashga

May be a bit stuck 45 hours in. On the last blue tablet island, I apparently need
prism dew to put out the evil flame at the lighthouse
. There are some clues in town that tell me to go to
Rainbow Cove on the first island
, and I think I see where that is, but I can't get to it. There are rocks blocking it by sea, and there's no place to
land my flying carpet
. Am I missing some other means of transportation? I tried talking to various people in Estard and Pilchard Bay, but I'm not seeing any clues.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Would a team of Monster Mashers greatly increase the chance of recruiting monsters? Like would their natural monster attracting ability stack? Does Animal Magnetism stack on a party level or only an individual one?

So I can only assume that as you level, the enemies level with you while ignoring job levels?
Its more of an area level then a baddie one like in DQ6. If ya follow the story along from place to place you prolly won't be outta the new places cap.

Just starting this after beating Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice.

Almost 2 hours in not a single battle yet lol

Just started this out too. Taking my time talking to everyone and using party talk. Enjoying this even without any battles yet and my game clock is over 3 hours.

Looks like I could've been faster if I just rush through the introduction. Do not like the purple dude at all.

Also, is the intro dungeon gutted? I remember the dungeon being a lot more mysterious and had more exploration. Any similar cuts to the story or dungeons?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
May be a bit stuck 45 hours in. On the last blue tablet island, I apparently need
prism dew to put out the evil flame at the lighthouse
. There are some clues in town that tell me to go to
Rainbow Cove on the first island
, and I think I see where that is, but I can't get to it. There are rocks blocking it by sea, and there's no place to
land my flying carpet
. Am I missing some other means of transportation? I tried talking to various people in Estard and Pilchard Bay, but I'm not seeing any clues.

In the Shrine of Mysteries, go through the blue door

piggychan

In the Shrine of Mysteries, go through the blue door

Man I had to youtube for that part. Plus later on there is a spot where you have to use a certain stone but in the original psx version that stone is called the Bliss stone but it's been renamed to sacred stone in the 3DS version took me a while to sort that out.

So I'm at
Regenstein
at night time and watched
all 3 memories and spoke to the old man about the town's past
But now it says I'm wide awake and can't go back to sleep. Anyone else experience this? Did I miss something?

EDIT: I figured it out, you have to
check out the patch of dirt next to the reminder
before you can progress. This game is very archaic sometimes.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Wow, first liquid metal slime kill and it gets recruited for the monster meadows. Wish I had that luck for some of the heart dropping ones lol

Man I had to youtube for that part. Plus later on there is a spot where you have to use a certain stone but in the original psx version that stone is called the Bliss stone but it's been renamed to sacred stone in the 3DS version took me a while to sort that out.

I wouldn't have known if I hadn't tried to enter there earlier.

rtcn63

I'm only an hour or so in at most, but there's been a lot of unnecessary busywork so far. For example the
get the armor pieces for the statue thing, there aren't even actual puzzles to solve.
And whenever Kiefer appears, I see

magic-dance_celebrating-david-bowie-top10films.jpg

But I do like the aesthetic, and I'm hoping the eventual combat is good.

Eusis

I'm definitely disappointed that it's one to two hours with barely any fucking thought needed. Completely nullified the point of what they did with the remake by padding it out with brain dead shit.

Tohsaka

I'm only an hour or so in at most, but there's been a lot of unnecessary busywork so far. For example the
get the armor pieces for the statue thing, there aren't even actual puzzles to solve.
And whenever Kiefer appears, I see

magic-dance_celebrating-david-bowie-top10films.jpg

But I do like the aesthetic, and I'm hoping the eventual combat is good.

There's a ton of that, it was my biggest problem with the game. You can tell they added a lot of filler just to make the game longer. I enjoyed the game overall but all the backtracking got really annoying after a while.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You must have been really disappointed by Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, then. It doesn't have any battles at all!

What are you talking about, it has courtroom battles! You even have a life bar!

Was the "Get the armor pieces" an actual puzzle in the PS1 version?

JGCD

Neo Member
I was playing and just doing suspend mode mostly cause i was kinda powering through it and after grinding a bunch of jobs my game crashes and i load it up to the last save which was two islands ago
yup im done with this game for a while

Arkeband

Banned
I was playing and just doing suspend mode mostly cause i was kinda powering through it and after grinding a bunch of jobs my game crashes and i load it up to the last save which was two islands ago

*slurp* goo-dbye

What are you talking about, it has courtroom battles! You even have a life bar!

Was the "Get the armor pieces" an actual puzzle in the PS1 version?

Yeah it was. The actual pieces were within the puzzle dungeon, which you found by solving various puzzles (obviously). Furthermore, unlike the remake, you actually had to deduce which pieces corresponded with each statue. I really hope that if they ever revisit VII again that they reconsider adding the puzzle dungeon back in. What we got in the remake was such a disappointment in comparison.

Megatron

Oh that sucks. I save every time I go to a different area.

You can reload suspended saves.

Raw64life

I save like a madman.

About to enter a dungeon? Save nearby or quicksave and reload.

Think I'm about to fight a boss? Quicksave and reload.

Think something bad is about to happen? Quicksave and reload.

It helps that I played through the PSX version although it was a long time ago so I don't quite remember everything storywise, but when in doubt, I always always save.

Sure it does.

A character slices an adversary with a sword, people get shot and hospitalized, and the protagonist almost gets executed.

So this is my first dragon quest game. It is unapologetic in putting the various stories above all else. I enjoy the battles but wish I could mix it up more at this point. 10 hrs in and most round consist of me doing physical attacks for all characters. I like the models and the dialogue but it can be agonizing at times when I want the story to move forward. The grinding is doable so far, does it get worse later in to the game? Also the menus in this remaster are garbage, are they intentionally obtuse to give it the dragon quest feel? I'm enjoying myself though, relaxing game to play.

Oof! My class growth plan ended up backfiring because I didn't realize how important the abilities lost would be. I lost the ability to cast Insulate when I really needed it in the fight against (4th red tablet spoilers)
The Black Dragon near Nottagen

I still won but had to use an Yggdrasil leaf to save the fight.

I now recommend planning out what your advanced classes are going to be, and then leveling up all of the relevant tier 1 classes first.

So this is my first dragon quest game. It is unapologetic in putting the various stories above all else. I enjoy the battles but wish I could mix it up more at this point. 10 hrs in and most round consist of me doing physical attacks for all characters. I like the models and the dialogue but it can be agonizing at times when I want the story to move forward. The grinding is doable so far, does it get worse later in to the game? Also the menus in this remaster are garbage, are they intentionally obtuse to give it the dragon quest feel? I'm enjoying myself though, relaxing game to play.
The start of DQ7 is the least representative of how the other games start, as is the time it takes to learn new abilities (but once you can learn new abilities through classes, there are a LOT). If I had to recommend a first DQ game it would not be this one for sure, but if you can get past the slow pacing that emphasizes story first and foremost things will start to pick up once you see Alltrades Abbey where you can change classes.

DQ has a "grind if you need to" basis to it, often times it's not necessary, but more often than not at most you can just leave dungeons to keep your EXP if you've taken too much damage and come back stronger, and death isn't a game over so you can still keep your EXP that way.

Zee-Row

Banned
Dunno where you are in that chapter, but a lot of events happen in her home or in the northwest corner of the town.

I got the 2 shards in that cave Northwest of Greenthumbs and beat the boss with the 2 jewel bags . I went back to the present and saw that the island with Greenthumbs didn't appear yet.

MoonFrog

At the final dungeon now, I think:
Demon King was just revealed to be impersonating God and his tower appeared.

Whole party, sans
Maribel, who's 31
is in the mid-high thirties because I got pretty lucky with liquid metal slimes. I'm thinking I'll continue class grinding up the tower, but not bother getting, say, Maribel Druid or Merwyn Champion if it comes to that. Maribel is still on Joker before Luminary (has sage), Merwyn is halfway done with Gladiator, then he'd have Champion. I'm of the understanding there's an EG for working on that anyway.

Not sure what I want to do with either Ruff or Aishe. Ruff has Pirate, Monster Masher, and Gladiator done. Thinking about finally exploring the monster classes with him, but inertia is stopping me. Aishe has Armamentalist and is now working on Luminary. She has access to Gladiator; might just do that next and turn her into a second Hero.

Hero himself is about a four or five star hero with Warrior/Fighter/Priest base. Guess I'll fill in basic classes with him when he finishes that.

I've really enjoyed this game. In a lot of ways it's not what I expected. I was expecting something more along the lines of VI, which I found really dense in terms of battles, map design, etc. VII manages to have a huge world and scenario without feeling like it is constantly running out of map space by comparison and the island system makes the world cohere nicely and the combat game is oddly laid back, although it starts feeling more like a normal DQ after Alltrades. This latter thing is charming but also not entirely to my taste. I like the present world being safe, but am not a fan of the lack of abilities through to Alltrades. The vignettes have been quite enjoyable, and I like the way the game works between them.

After Alltrades, there's so much ability bloat that I've barely used a fraction of them and a lot of it is pretty strangely balanced (looking at those great skill AOEs). I tend to like more dedicated roles in my RPGs, and although I'm having fun developing classes they aren't entirely to my liking even as a class system. It's been a while since I played 6 or 9 and I haven't finished 3, but it's like I remember 6 and 9 being.

zroid

Banned
why did a ton of my abilities disappear when i switched m.c. to Shepherd? I thought spells and abilities carried over?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

What were you doing for 2 hours? My save file was just over half that time when I hit my first battle. Seems you either got lost or spent an inordinate amount of time chatting up the NPC's.

Top Bottom