• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Elf starts out very rough. The amount of actual skill required to play her effectively is the highest amongst all the characters. By level 35 I did get considerably powerful though.
The key to playing Elf is: 1) always end a combo with some sort of bow attack, 2) bow attacks that end with the arrow on the ground is almost always better, 3) both dash kick and dash bow attack are great and 4) evasion is your best friend.

Thanks for the tips =). I'll need it.

Yasumi

Banned
I know it's been mentioned casually before, but I figured I'd post this here:

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=zg_bs_nav_0
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ogames/14210751/ref=zg_bs_unv_vg_2_14210851_2

ib0uQATN9Q3YNE.png

It's topping the charts in Canada.

amazon_DC.png

MooMoo

Hopefully Grace Chen plays nice tomorrow *crosses fingers*

Also Team Elf represent! :D Can't wait to play this on my Vita!

Elios83

I'd like to buy this game on my Vita but I fear that the story will be really shallow like in Muramasa. I think that I'm going to wait until I read more comments and gamers reviews.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Woke up from an unplanned nap and saw I got the text from Gamestop to get it tomorrow morning. I am so thrilled to have tomorrow off (no I didn't plan it, it simply happened).

Teknoman

Just a passing thought, but you'd never expect the Amazon to have the prettiest face. In these games that would usually go to a lighter class.

Ken

got my copies yay

ashamed to say that i've yet to finish a vanillaware game yet though :( (muramasa wii and rebirth, and gkh)

Knowing how hard Kamitani games can be, I'm going to go #TeamFighter first. After all in Monster Hunter I am #TeamLance's most sprinting epic turtle.

Tho I can't deny I'd love to be a part of #TeamSorceress

MooMoo

You should know by now how GCT works when it concerns a game you really want.
Shhhhh, a man can dream right?

Been keeping myself in the dark about this game so it should be fun learning all the mechanics. Think I'm gonna go Elf > Dwarf > Sorceress > Fighter > Wizard > Amazon. Still need to figure out names though. More games need random name generators dammit!

Shhhhh, a man can dream right?

Been keeping myself in the dark about this game so it should be fun learning all the mechanics. Think I'm gonna go Elf > Dwarf > Sorceress > Fighter > Wizard > Amazon. Still need to figure out names though. More games need random name generators dammit!

Well...this game has a random name generator. It starts you with a random name and let's you change it, though I don't know if you can keep pressing a random name button of some sort after you first select a character, though.

Made me laugh harder than it had any right to.

The comic is titled "Support Classes," by the way. Hah. Here's the source: http://matsu-sensei.deviantart.com/art/Support-Classes-390747784

MooMoo

Well...this game has a random name generator. It starts you with a random name and let's you change it, though I don't know if you can keep pressing a random name button of some sort after you first select a character, though.
Good enough :p Not sure why but coming up with names is the hardest thing ever.

Caerith

jay-dap-o.gif

The R34 coming from this game is going to be glorious.
Technically false. It started over two years ago when the game was first unveiled.

Quick question, are there any English skill lists and/or skill point calculators around?
You can find google-translated skill lists easily enough, but I have yet to see a list of the English skills and their descriptions.

I've put together a list of all the skills I've seen English names and descriptions for. I figure once I can finish this I'll update the OP, but in the meantime I've pasted it below. Anything in bold (for names) or regular (for descriptions) is confirmed, and everything in italics is based on a translation.

Common Skills
Wealth To Health: Picking up coins recovers HP.
Money is Power: Picking up coins adds to your score.
Vitality Boost: Increases your max HP.
Nutritionist: Increases the healing effectiveness of food.
Maintenance: Grants a chance that using a temporary weapon won't decrease the number of uses.
Adroit Hands: Reduces cooldown time in between using items.
Evasion: Increases the number of times you can evade (R1) in a row.
Deep Pockets: Increases the number of item slots in Bags.
Slide Attack: Increased chance of taking enemy down when sliding (Down + Square).

Sorceress
Concentrate: Increase MP charge speed by holding Square.
Extract: If your magic shot hits an enemy, you will recover MP. Press Square for a magic shot.
Mental Absorb: Gain MP with every enemy you defeat.
Spirit Up: Increase maximum MP.
Animate Skeleton: Give life to skeletons (press Square near a pile of bones).
Levitation: Enable floating. (Double jump and press X.)
Spells:
  • Ice Prison: Cast to encase your enemies in ice.
  • Thunderhead: Summon a thundercloud to strike enemies with lightning.
  • Curse: Turn enemies into frogs.
  • Protection: Protect allies with a magic shield
  • Gravity: Create a gravitational field that sucks enemies in
  • Rock Press: Drop a boulder that can stun
  • Blizzard: Summon a blizzard to freeze enemies
  • Create Food: Produce food around the caster
  • Petrification: Turn enemies into stone.

Amazon
Stun Wave: Add a shockwave to your downward stab attack. Press Down + Square in midair to activate.
Neck Splitter: Falling attack that is effective on downed enemies. Double jump then Down + Square in midair to activate.
Deadly Revolve: Increases the revolutions in the aerial spinning attack. In air, press Left or Right after Square.
Brutal Drive: Enhances Mega Smash attack and shockwave.
Parry: Evade an enemy attack, becoming invincible for a set amount of time. Press Square just before receiving an attack.
Overlap: Increase the number of ground combo hits and make it easier to go into Berserk.
Brandish: Unleash an invincible rotation attack with the weapon. After four ground hits, press Left or Right + Square.
Berserk: Increase Power through combo hits
Adrenaline: Power increases as health decreases.
Item Skills:
  • War Paint: Attacks gain clones for a set time
  • Lunatic: Go into Berserk for a set time at the cost of HP
  • Immortal: Prevent Knockback for a set time at the cost of HP, Damage received is reduced to 10.

Fighter
Cyclone Masher: Increases duration of aerial attacks. Rapidly press Square to activate.
Shield Tactics: Boost your shield's effectiveness and make it harder to be moved.
Shockwave: Pound the ground to ripple it with shocks. Activate with Up + Square.
Judgement: Add a shockwave to your downward stab attack. Press Down + Square in midair to activate.
Missile Reflect: Grants a chance to reflect projectile weapons when guarding with your shield.
Bash: Press Square after blocking an attack to counterattack and stun with your shield.
Reflex Guard: Grants a chance to automatically guard when attacked.
Cover Allies: Hold Square on the ground to use your shield to protect allies and temporarily increase their attack power.
Tempest Edge: Create a powerful storm of sword attacks by rapidly pressing Square.
Punisher Impact: Enhances Mega Smash attack and shockwave.
Item Skills:
  • Sacrifice: Take damage inflicted on your allies. Use the Skill item Sacrifice.
  • Distraction: Call enemies' attention to yourself. Use the Skill item Distraction.

Wizard
Concentrate: Increase MP charge speed by holding Square.
Extract: If your magic shot hits an enemy, you will recover MP. Press Square for a magic shot.
Mental Absorb: Gain MP with every enemy you defeat.
Spirit Up: Increase maximum MP.
Create Wood Golem: Give life to a golem (press Square near a crate or barrel).
Levitation: Enable floating. (Double jump and press X.)
Spells:
  • Fire Ward: Cast to create a magic circle which grants fire protection.
  • Blaze: Cast to create long-burning flames.
  • Storm: Cast to summon a tornado which will slash enemies.
  • Flame Burst: Cast to raze everything in front of you.
  • Thunderbolt: Electrocute all foes in an area.
  • Meteor Swarm: Drop stones from space on your foes.
  • Slow: Cast to create a magic circle that slows enemy movements.
  • Extinction: Cast to make one enemy cease to exist. Ineffective on bosses.

Elf
Power Shot: Charge an arrow to unleash a powerful wind shot. Hold Circle and then release Circle to shoot.
Rapid Fire: Quickly loose a volley of arrows. Increase number of arrows with higher skill levels.
Spacious Quiver: Increase the number of arrows you can carry.
Elemental Lore: Use spirit magic to attack. Activate by holding Square.
Backstab: Increase damage when attacking an enemy from behind with a dagger.
Battle Hardened: Damage reduced and gain knockback resistance while charging arrows.
Clone Strikes: Shoot more arrows when using crouched charged attacks and when shooting while dashing.
Deadly Boots: Adds your boot's DEF to kick attack power. Higher skill levels increase this boost.
Impact Arrow: Fire an arrow that produces a shockwave. Higher skill levels boost range and power.
Item Skills:
  • Holdout Dagger: Produce a dagger to attack with.
  • Salamander Oil: Use the Salamander Oil to grant fire properties to arrow and dagger attacks. (Use again to disable.)
  • Toxic Extract: Use the Toxic Extract to grant poison properties to arrow and dagger attacks. (Use again to disable.)

Dwarf
Grand Smash: Shockwave is produced from a throw.
Lethal Fists: Enhance bare fist attacks.
Eagle Dive: Unleash a gliding attack from the skies.
Thor's Hammer: Megasmash causes lightning.
Frenzy: Wild flurry of punches.
Powder Mastery: Fire Skills increase power.
Trinket Maniac: Items that give score can now restore HP (Does not stack with Gold Scoring).
Rock Skin: Reduce damage received during Pump Up. Hold Square to use.
Toughness: Will not flinch when taking up to a certain amount of damage.
Item Skills:
  • Bomb Satchel: Throw bombs.
  • Fire Barrel: Throw explosive barrels.
  • Magma Infusion: Add Fire to attacks for a time.

If anyone with the English version of the game can help fill in some of these blanks, I'd appreciate it.

ChuckNyce

Absolutely cannot decide what platform to get this for now. Was pretty much decided on PS3 as of last week, but been watching some Vita videos of it on Youtube and this just strikes me as the perfect portable title. Really wish this was cross buy.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely cannot decide what platform to get this for now. Was pretty much decided on PS3 as of last week, but been watching some Vita videos of it on Youtube and this just strikes me as the perfect portable title. Really wish this was cross buy.

I preordered the PS3 version but then cancelled and I am now waiting on the digital download Vita version. Graphics look great on the vita and I really wanted to have this on the go.

ToyBroker

Banned
Anyone else plan on rocking the whole game and difficulties and grinding loot solo?

I'm not too keen on MP in these types of games so will probably rock the whole thing solo.

Plus when I'm grinding for loot in games like these I like to pause, browse the net quick, and get back into game without being on some sort of artificial time-table.

Teknoman

Personally i'd say Vita. Needs the support.

That and the Dragon's Crown Vita online community probably needs all the help it can get.

Caerith

Anyone else plan on rocking the whole game and difficulties and grinding loot solo?

I'm not too keen on MP in these types of games so will probably rock the whole thing solo.

Plus when I'm grinding for loot in games like these I like to pause, browse the net quick, and get back into game without being on some sort of artificial time-table.
I plan on duo-ing everything, but I get where you're coming from.

So close to getting this game tomorrow, I really can't friggin wait

You can find google-translated skill lists easily enough, but I have yet to see a list of the English skills and their descriptions.

I've put together a list of all the skills I've seen English names and descriptions for. I figure once I can finish this I'll update the OP, but in the meantime I've pasted it below. Anything in bold (for names) or regular (for descriptions) is confirmed, and everything in italics is based on a translation.

Common Skills

Sorceress

Amazon

Fighter

Wizard

Elf

Dwarf
Definitely digging these skill lists, gives me a better idea of what to expect going in.
ibj2wULdBPWTE0.jpg

Made me laugh harder than it had any right to.

Lol, I laughed more than I should have

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ordered from ebay and got my copy today. Played around 3 hours as an Amazon. It's very fun and it has that Knights of Valour feel to it (except no super moves).

The narrator is helpful, but can get annoying. Some levels seem way too short, but I'm also only a few hours in. I'm overall happy with the game. It has a lot more depth than I was expecting from a beat 'em up.

Usobuko

Banned
It's releasing on 11th of October 2013 for UK, anyone from EuroGAF is going to wait for this instead? Especially the ones gunning for the Vita version.

Endo Punk

So there's a demo for the game coming to NA Store today, right?

Looking at Vanillaware's past few games the wait for Europe should be between 2-3 months. But I wish they would come out and just say that the game will come out here to put my mind at ease.

EDIT:

It's releasing on 11th of October 2013 for UK, anyone from EuroGAF is going to wait for this instead? Especially the ones gunning for the Vita version.

I'm definitely going to support the release so I'll wait.

This looks like a potential cleric character for a sequel or dlc to me :D
0s8peHk.jpg

I... I... I.. I hope she's DLC :p

Caerith

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E4FANPE/

That's the only place I've seen/read that had that date.

A friend of mine was planning to wait until the official European release in case of DLC and whatnot, but he ended up ordering a U.S. copy recently. I can't blame him. We've been talking about the game for a long time now...
Googling for that date, I've only found it in forum comments and on some unofficial Facebook page that says DraCro is developed by Ignition.

(On the topic of dates pulled seemingly out of thin air, I think people would be happier with the misinformation that the UK gets it on August 7.)

I think I'll hold off on updating the OP until I see a more reliable source.

Top Bottom