• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Someone mentioned a bug like that, except that the pawns always had a default voice until actually were hired--then their true voice would finally reveal itself.

Can't say I've noticed it myself. My pawn has a super cool deep voice, number... 7 (bottom left area) I think. Only encountered one other with a deep voice--a dwarf pawn named Urist.

That could be it.. They all do sound a lot a like before I hire them.... And this guy's name is Plops Mcghee, short and stout.

That's strange. I do have it and I've tried taking pictures with it as well. It only captures ENB, not SweetFX. Maybe I'm missing a setting or something.

Well, that's indeed strange.
Are you sure you've checked your msi screenshots folder, not the steam one? With the msi and steam overlay used at the same time, you'll get two screenshots on a single press.

I'm big on immersion and I wanna know if I can turn off all on screen notifications. I was told you could but I would also like to know if I could have a dynamic hud, having it only appear when I fight and not have it on 24/7 when exploring.

You can turn off the ability buttons from the in-game option. But if you want to hide everything, you'll have to use ENB. With a simple F10 press, you can turn HUD on/off anytime.

What are the most/least taxing graphical effects? Running it on a 930m so at default settings and 1080p I manage 35fps or so which is better than the consoles at least. Just wondering what I can do to improve visuals/framerate.

What are the most/least taxing graphical effects? Running it on a 930m so at default settings and 1080p I manage 35fps or so which is better than the consoles at least. Just wondering what I can do to improve visuals/framerate.

Distance scaling, I believe.
You may want to tinker with the shadows and AA as well.

fighting gorecyclops i s a bad ....BAD idea my pawns get one shoted like there's no tomorrow , however i think i can solo him as a warrior...but it's gonna take a lot of time

Steel

Banned

The best way to tone things down? Keep HDR at low, it doesn't look good at high and it hits performance. Turn draw distance down a notch, additionally.

giphy.gif

FUCK
Totally forgot about those things.

Ha, ran into one of those yesterday, my pawn opened the chest and calmly stated as he was being eatten "I've learnt new ways to fight this creature."

fr0st

Banned
fighting gorecyclops i s a bad ....BAD idea my pawns get one shoted like there's no tomorrow , however i think i can solo him as a warrior...but it's gonna take a lot of time
Time to switch to the superior magic archer. Solo warrior? What weapon are you using? And you can try an arc before unchaining it for free damage?

Ogawa-san

It's vulnerable to torpor like almost every enemy. Poke it with an upgraded rusted weapon a few times and every so often so your pawns can get a chance at staying alive for longer than 5s.

Time to switch to the superior magic archer. Solo warrior? What weapon are you using? And you can try an arc before unchaining it for free damage?

I just changed vocation lol so i cant buy arc right now : /

Fellow warriors or any melee focused gaffer here's a tip

just stand behind his right leg, since he will never hit you.

The best way to tone things down? Keep HDR at low, it doesn't look good at high and it hits performance. Turn draw distance down a notch, additionally.

Ha, ran into one of those yesterday, my pawn opened the chest and calmly stated as he was being eatten "I've learnt new ways to fight this creature."

Distance scaling, I believe.
You may want to tinker with the shadows and AA as well.

yeah I'm basically just trying to figure out the best way to make it look best at a stable 30

got shadows on low, AA on default and HDR low but bumped up texture detail to high and distance scaling to medium. Just wish I could tinker with settings in-game but oh well. Does capping the framerate to 30 have any benefit?

Steel

Banned
yeah I'm basically just trying to figure out the best way to make it look best at a stable 30

got shadows on low, AA on default and HDR low but bumped up texture detail to high and distance scaling to medium. Just wish I could tinker with settings in-game but oh well. Does capping the framerate to 30 have any benefit?

If you're aiming at 30, I'd lock it to 30 so you don't have judder(extra frames at odd times). With those settings you might just be seeing 60, though. See what you get.

If you're aiming at 30, I'd lock it to 30 so you don't have judder(extra frames at odd times). With those settings you might just be seeing 60, though. See what you get.

nah man, I'm on running on a laptop. 30 fps with medium settings at 1080p is enough to ask for considering the console versions

I'm guessing I'm not supposed to be able to beat the dragon in Devilfire Grove yet. I manage to take off 3 of its health bars before it runs away. The music keeps playing, though, but it never comes back.

ike_

nah man, I'm on running on a laptop. 30 fps with medium settings at 1080p is enough to ask for considering the console versions

Exactly. Plus load times are probably better on that laptop to boot.

FUCK STOP MOVING PAWN SO I COULD TAKE A PICTURE OF YOU

Yeah, pawns are super camera-phobic. If the camera is pointed at their face they will move away. You can use "photo mode" to stop time and adjust the camera, and on Steam you can just F12 instead of taking a photo in-game to avoid the watermarks if you really want.

jonjonaug

I'm guessing I'm not supposed to be able to beat the dragon in Devilfire Grove yet. I manage to take off 3 of its health bars before it runs away. The music keeps playing, though, but it never comes back.

As far as I know it's not supposed to run away, I think the encounter bugged out. The fight will take a long time if you're not able to dish out enough damage to topple it (the heart takes increased damage while it's immobile). The game has a system in place where if you can't overcome enough of an enemy's defense then you'll do essentially next to zero damage (same thing works in your favor though, enemies in early areas won't be able to even scratch you late game). Come back later (I'm talking like, almost at the end of the main quest later) or stock up on damage boosting items.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Thanks Morrigan for using my pawn! I was starting to think she was bugged and invisible to the network or something.

As far as I know it's not supposed to run away, I think the encounter bugged out. The fight will take a long time if you're not able to dish out enough damage to topple it (the heart takes increased damage while it's immobile). The game has a system in place where if you can't overcome enough of an enemy's defense then you'll do essentially next to zero damage (same thing works in your favor though, enemies in early areas won't be able to even scratch you late game). Come back later (I'm talking like, almost at the end of the main quest later) or stock up on damage boosting items.
I do quite a bit of damage to it (even without the heart unexposed) when a pawn gives me an ice buff and I can use the Great Cannon together with the Full Moon Slash. But I've reloaded about 4 times now and the dragon always runs away eventually. Weird.

I was originally planning on going full Ranger, but more and more I feel like going Magick Archer is a better idea. Originally on consoles I played as a sorceress and I'm really missing the versatility of having different elements available to you at any given time, I do a lot of damage when my pawns give me the proper boon but otherwise I'm just not doing much at all against larger enemies.

The downside being that I've been leveling as Assassin so far, whose statline is hardly ideal for MA.

Any experienced rangers out there, is the class ever not entirely dependent on getting the proper buffs from partymembers?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sitting here at work just wanting to play it even tho I "finished" it (main story) and already put in 40 hours into it. Those are the good ones I guess.

Zaptruder

Banned
ENB is great for day time shots and all that... but man alive, it just crushes out all the details in the shadows and at night.

Would be nice if we could do HDR mimicry - where ENB transitions from harsh to subtle when going from light to dark areas.

leng jai

ENB is great for day time shots and all that... but man alive, it just crushes out all the details in the shadows and at night.

Would be nice if we could do HDR mimicry - where ENB transitions from harsh to subtle when going from light to dark areas.

This is always my issue with ENB. Everything always gets super dark and there's pretty bad black crush.

dlauv

I really don't like using healing items during combat in this game, I guess it's the lack of punishable animation. It's the same in DMC as well, I refuse to heal. Always thought it was because of the point penalty, but seems like it's just the fact that it's "free".

I'll wait until the current combat scenario is complete before I use items to heal. During combat, I'll have to deal with the amount of health I have and deal with stamina regen.

DMC is a finer combat game. This game is quite a bit more messy. Feel free. But I get you, it's kind of too easy anyway. The stamina stuff potions come in handy when you're climbing around.

daxy

Can't seem to get Gedosato running together with ENB like some others in the thread. What's the workaround for this?

This is always my issue with ENB. Everything always gets super dark and there's pretty bad black crush.

ENB is diverse, there are so many presets they're different from each other.

-----------------------------------------------------

Behold, chesthair mod is here.

Finally beat up the drake/dragon thing at Devilfire Grove and it upgraded my kilt.

Using Warrior atm to grab some augments. Not sure why they've only got one set of skills. There are enough utility skills that they could have had a second bar. Casters can have 6 offensive skills if they feel like so restricting Warriors to 3 seems kind of mean. Having almost no flexibility compared to the dagger/bow classes is rough.

Baalzebup

Regarding the Drake escaping by flying: Start the fight by going after its wings. When you've damaged them enough, it will drop a craft component called Great Dragon Alula. This is a sign that its flight abilities are hampered or outright disabled.
I mean, I don't have perfect vision and am obviously liable to overlook things, but I scanned the entirety of Devilfire Grove and didn't find it. Its health bar disappeared too and after ~10 minutes of just wandering about I gave up.

^

waited for 4/5 minutes, then the quest "ambush" failed

I think above is the thing I was forgetting. Going after the wings has been the basic MO for me for so long that I've completely forgotten the exact reasons why I've been doing it in the first place. It is very likely the key to preventing the Drake from fleeing.

Lanrutcon

I was originally planning on going full Ranger, but more and more I feel like going Magick Archer is a better idea. Originally on consoles I played as a sorceress and I'm really missing the versatility of having different elements available to you at any given time, I do a lot of damage when my pawns give me the proper boon but otherwise I'm just not doing much at all against larger enemies.

The downside being that I've been leveling as Assassin so far, whose statline is hardly ideal for MA.

Any experienced rangers out there, is the class ever not entirely dependent on getting the proper buffs from partymembers?

So Rangers are all about Ten Fold Arrow. Later on, when facing the big bads, you'll be burning Blast Arrows like nobody's business in conjunction with Ten Fold. That's how you excel. It's really your only trick.

As for buffs: that's a general thing with strength classes that you never get away from. Certain enemies are just highly resistant to physical damage, and you need an elemental buff (or magic weapon, or stacked consumables) to really do damage.

Magic Archers are stupid good once you figure out how their skills work. They break BBI wide open. Shit like Eliminators and Gorecyclops (which will RUIN your day) become a non issue. Plus they're capable in melee, can double jump/dodgeroll and can pick from both yellow and blue gear.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So Rangers are all about Ten Fold Arrow. Later on, when facing the big bads, you'll be burning Blast Arrows like nobody's business in conjunction with Ten Fold. That's how you excel. It's really your only trick.

As for buffs: that's a general thing with strength classes that you never get away from. Certain enemies are just highly resistant to physical damage, and you need an elemental buff (or magic weapon, or stacked consumables) to really do damage.

Magic Archers are stupid good once you figure out how their skills work. They break BBI wide open. Shit like Eliminators and Gorecyclops (which will RUIN your day) become a non issue. Plus they're capable in melee, can double jump/dodgeroll and can pick from both yellow and blue gear.

Should I go Ranger next or just skip to Magic Archer?

I've played Fighter, Mystic Knight, and Sorcerer. Are there any trash vocations that are just not interesting?

should I buy any armor/weapons from vendors or just wait and find stuff through loot? i'm level 14 and still using the starting gear + cape and circlet

Lach

After beating the one in the Everfall (also he helped by jumping off the ledge at 25% health), I thought I was ready for the ogers in the quarry. I was wrong....

Dr.Acula

Banned
should I buy any armor/weapons from vendors or just wait and find stuff through loot? i'm level 14 and still using the starting gear + cape and circlet

Buy buy buy. Money isn't scarce and if you upgrade the vendor loot it's pretty good. I'm level 30 and I haven't really found too much stuff in the wild yet. There's so much class specific stuff that it's hard to just come across the perfect piece you need.

Lanrutcon

Should I go Ranger next or just skip to Magic Archer?

I've played Fighter, Mystic Knight, and Sorcerer. Are there any trash vocations that are just not interesting?

I'd say play what you want. The only consideration is this:

http://dragonsdogma.wiki.fextralife.com/stat+growths

Your first 100 levels are where you get the majority of your stats. If you play a bit of everything getting to 100 you turn into a generalist, not excelling at any one thing but being capable in all areas. If you play strength classes (Assassin, Warrior, Fighter, Ranger) you'll turn into a physical powerhouse. If you play magic classes (Mage, Sorcerer) you turn into Gandalf.

So if you want to be completely OP endgame: pick a side of the fence (strength or magic) and focus on that.

For the record, I went the generalist route (leveled almost exclusively as a Strider) and it worked out fine.

Durante

I'd say play what you want. The only consideration is this:

FBUkZRr.jpg

Your first 100 levels are where you get the majority of your stats. If you play a bit of everything getting to 100 you turn into a generalist, not excelling at any one thing but being capable in all areas. If you play strength classes (Assassin, Warrior, Fighter, Ranger) you'll turn into a physical powerhouse. If you play magic classes (Mage, Sorcerer) you turn into Gandalf.

So if you want to be completely OP endgame: pick a side of the fence (strength or magic) and focus on that.

For the record, I went the generalist route (leveled almost exclusively as a Strider) and it worked out fine.
The Sorcerer entry in that table is wrong. (I just noticed since I play Sorcerer pretty much exclusively)

Top Bottom