• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

daman824

74 is just TERRIBLE omg. Smh.

Game is so much fun. After Destiny I just kind of laugh at reviews now. At the end of the day it's just people's opinions. All over the board.
74 for a game in this release period? Yeah I'm not buying it. Maybe a rental.

And I'd say the same about destiny. Which I have played.

BigDug13

Drive Club definitely looked plain and boring from the videos I've seen, so not all that surprising to see it score so low with some people. Racing games need to bring more to the table these days.

Why? Since when has trying to recreate the feel of racing a car not been good enough for a racing game?

Wow, I didn't expect this kind of reviews. I deeply dislike Gamespot, so I don't care about their score. Joystiq and Eurogamer gave the game mediocre scores, and that is more troubling in my mind.

Man, what a drought for Sony.

Slixshot

Banned
Sorry for the racing fans who expected this to be the second coming. Happy to say, I am no racing fan in general. Still can't believe that this was delayed a whole year for mediocrity.

IGN: "I’m also surprised at how partisan the day-one car list is."

WTF does this mean? Driveclub's car list refuses to cross the floor in Senate voting?

Did they mean paltry? Sparse?

I think they're trying to get at the fact that all the cars are european? But yeah odd choice of word.

Hugstable

Banned
Will LittleBigFloatyControls or The Order break the 80 MetaCritic ceiling!?

Killzonemetacritic.png

knackcritic.png

infamouscritic.png

destinycritic.png

driveclubcritic.png

Destiny isn't PS exclusive. Also sad to see Knack with lower review scores than the others T_T. Then again I'm also probably the only one who thought Infamous Second Son wasn't that great since it regressed in content from what we had in inFamous 2. Then again I know that it takes alot to develop a new engine, and I will be insanely hyped if we do hear about a new inFamous as the next time I know they will have much more time to work on actual content outside of the story missions. I still have no clue sometimes why InFamous: SS was open world outside of the reason of wanting to use your powers awesomely. Those "side mission" where not missions at all, reminded me too much of AC1, but AC1 grew into AC2, one of my favorite games last gen, so I will always hold hope.

Nothing about that quote comes off as remotely snobby or excessively flowery to me. It in fact very clearly states Driveclub is an average, but pretty game that doesn't even live up to previous gen's racers, let alone the expectations of a next-gen driving experience.

What the hell is a next gen driving experience i would like to know.

ICPEE

How does one even quantify "passion" in a racing game?? Please someone enlighten me.
"Soulless. "No Passion". Dude, you find out what this means in a racing game, you let me know cause I'm sat here scratching my head trying to make sense of these terms the reviewers use to judge a track based racing title, much less other racing titles.

Lego Boss

Reading this:

"Driveclub is the fear of risks and the embrace of the ordinary. It's basic racing in basic packaging, beautiful and inert and full of attractive cars. It is not, however, an argument for a new generation of driving, given how it fails to exceed the standards of the old one."

is like reading a Lars Von Trier film review, a full of metaphors snob review that hides behind cheap literature to give a low score without having a real,understandable reason.

Oh no! Please don't let reviewers use big words!!!

BigDug13

74 for a game in this release period? Yeah I'm not buying it. Maybe a rental.

And I'd say the same about destiny. Which I have played.

Rental? What PS4 owner doesn't subscribe to PS+? Why do you need to rent something that they're giving away a beefy demo for?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
FH2 is far from the PGR formula of track based simcade. You won't find open world racing, crazy jumps and all the rest in PGR. FH2 in that sense is closer to games like Midnight Club and NFS, only with some of the handling physics of Forza Motorsport.

Open world racing games are great fun, but they just can't touch the track design of closed off tracks.

Anyone who has spent a chunk of time with PGR and FH2 will tell you that they feel remarkably similar, open world or no. The track design is ridiculously good, also.

Foshy

Sorry for the racing fans who expected this to be the second coming. Happy to say, I am no racing fan in general. Still can't believe that this was delayed a whole year for mediocrity.

racing fans know that mainstream games press isn't the best place to look for serious racing game reviews.

Not say it is the best racing game ever made or even the racing game of the year, but yeah, GameSpot really isn't the one to judge

Bold One

But that's the point. There doesn't need to be an industry standard. Reviews are different things to different people, and not everyone may like what a reviewer abiding by this standard has to say. Find a reviewer that you seem to share similar interests in and that reviews games in a way that you perceive as fair, and just follow that guy.

I'm not talking about finding someone with whom you share a wavelenght and this agrees with your point of view.

I am talking about an objective baseline critical standard,

Having to only listen to that one guy who shares your viewpoint is no basis for a critique.

It doesnt help the undecided on whether to invest or not when one handful of reviewers give a game a 3 and another handful gives it 8/9.

Yea, you're really not getting the point at all. I tried to explain it to you but you're insisting on ignoring the context. I don't need to expand on my opinion. I was merely pointing out his statements were subjective, not truth.

So your point is, pointless. It adds nothing to the the discussion. Right I get it.

Stillmatic

I just checked the wiki page and wow GTA 6 looks like it really underperformed.

Gran Turismo 10,850,000
Gran Turismo 2 9,370,000
Gran Turismo 3 14,980,000
Gran Turismo 4 11,660,000
Gran Turismo 5 10,910,000
Gran Turismo 6 2,340,000^

/\ And those were the updated sales for June 2014.

GT6 was the only GT I didn't buy. Mainly because I was pretty satisfied with GT5 as PS3's 'GT' and wanted GT6 on PS4.

OT: I can't believe some of these reviews. A 5/10 is just...crazy, I can't wrap my head around it. I'm definitely out of touch with the gaming media. I'm loving Destiny, and think Driveclub is awesome. :/

JP

Strange spread of reviews, what some hate the others love. I suppose we're only talking about people's opinions though.

Personally, I really can't wait to give it a go!

Not relevant to this game but I absolutely love Destiny and I seem to find myself disagreeing more and more with commercial reviews as things move on. Maybe I'm getting old but I just don't seem to enjoy/not enjoy the games that I'm supposed to anymore.

I just checked the wiki page and wow GTA 6 looks like it really underperformed.

Gran Turismo 10,850,000
Gran Turismo 2 9,370,000
Gran Turismo 3 14,980,000
Gran Turismo 4 11,660,000
Gran Turismo 5 10,910,000
Gran Turismo 6 2,340,000^

/ And those were the updated sales for June 2014.

Yep I'm pretty sure GT6 didn't outsell Forza 4. To be fair though, Forza 4 obviously released 2 years before it. However, I doubt GT6 will make up the gap. There are almost 5 million players on the Forza 4 leaderboards. GT7 might be a return to form for the series though.

~~Hasan~~

I figured its around 8 in total. The single player isnt really super fun. Its just standard finish one race to the next. FH 2 is way more fun single player.

However, the graphics in this game is just stunning. At some points i wished if i can intract with it or justt stop to look around. Problem in drive club u cant even do that. As soon as you stop your car will turn to a ghost lol.

The online section is kinda ok. I mean i cant really judge right now because its super buggy since the game isnt supposed to be out yet so the servers are still being tested.

I do not regret purchasing drive club. I needed a good racer and drive club is good one. In fact its the best racing game available on the playstation 4. Its really worth purshasing if you are a racing fan. I am level 27 in the game already and i am seriously enjoying it.

For multiplatform owners tho, you should play both before making up your mind specially if you are in a tight budget

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
As usual in this thread, all of a sudden reviews matter. You go to any individual threads including the Drive Club thread as we speak and you will find plenty of people its not a unanimous decision that the game is really fun, obviously extraordinary looking, and generally much better than what somebody's opinion in a review outlet has to say.

So keep asking yourself this question, if previews matter this much whether a game scores higher or lower, then you should really stop investing so much into being upset over the scores. Its just someone's opinion and in this case Drive Club seems to be a very good game that is very fun and it is going to continue to improve. Enjoy the game.

Are you seriously trying to tell me driving in the day on a clear sky, is the same as driving in cloudy conditions or at night?

If I understand him correctly he's talking about the lighting system, not the lights on/off difference. Of course a night race will be different but whether your headlights are baked or dynamic is purely for 'effect'.

Same with "dynamic ever evolving cloud cover". It's purely aesthetic. I mean, I still hold GT3 up as one of the best sim racers made and it didn't have any of that stuff. The "type" of lighting and dynamic weather that's in now outside of day/night doesn't affect your line.

If it's cloudy I won't slow down. If it's night and my headlights reflect off a tree "dynamically" or not at all in the background I'm not changing my driving line/speed.

Snow and rain will affect it, sure, but what's included in the game right now, the lighting system used and cloud effects wouldn't affect my driving whatsoever. Even the completely IN YOUR FACE sun of Forza 4 and Horizon didn't cause for changing your driving speed. Even in AC where you can change the time of day it doesn't really affect it (none that I have found but I haven't played every course at every time of a day in every car, so who knows?)

Obviously imo...if you're into driving sims it's unmatched. There's a reason why it's the most successful racing franchise of all time, with 60 million sold.

Unmatched in sales yes. But the PC is where the best sims are. Not detracting from GT whatsoever, but it's somewhere between what a true sim is and what a game like DC is.

Foshy

GT7 might be a return to form for the series though.

unless they make it into a open-world racer with soul they shouldn't even bother imo

Actually, no, watch GT7 get better reviews than DC despite still reusing PS2 models and sound and not having modelled cockpits just because of the brand name.

Gator86

"Soulless. "No Passion". Dude, you find out what this means in a racing game, you let me know cause I'm sat here scratching my head trying to make sense of these terms the reviewers use to judge a track based racing title, much less other racing titles.

I had these same questions reading some of these reviews. I wasn't overly hyped about Driveclub and will probably be content to stick with the PS+ version but these are some of the weirder reviews I've seen. I genuinely don't understand most of the criteria it's being rated on. Seems like it lost points for not being open world with a lot of reviewers even though that's in no way a requirement for a racing game.

daman824

What does the release period have to do with anything?
There are a lot of big name games coming out around this time that will almost definitely score higher than this (and some already have). Considering I don't have an endless supply of cash, I'm not going to buy a game in the 70s on metacritic. last time I did that (destiny) I was burned.

m@cross

I don't even have an XB1... but whatever, go ahead :)

You should buy one then.

Just a quick sample of your post history clearly indicates your insatiable lust for FH2 and constant need to defend the system in XB1/ps4 gfx threads.

Hopefully a mod takes some time to look at it, I for one am tired of seeing you pop up in nearly every thread to be negative about DC and ecstatic for FH2.

Moving on.

aside from the penalty system, it sounds like a terrific game for fans of the genre. enjoy ps4 brothers (and invite me over some time)

Can you describe what it's like? Someone before also mentioned it was too severe, but I'd like to know more before I can try the game tonight.

In what world does it affect gameplay? :/

A bit of glare on the windshield? You can count that as gameplay-enhancing if you want, but eh, that's stretching it if you ask me.

I'm thinking driving at night is completely different to driving at noon?

cheezcake

As usual in this thread, all of a sudden reviews matter. You go to any individual threads including the Drive Club thread as we speak and you will find plenty of people its not a unanimous decision that the game is really fun, obviously extraordinary looking, and generally much better than what somebody's opinion in a review outlet has to say.

So keep asking yourself this question, if previews matter this much whether a game scores higher or lower, then you should really stop investing so much into being upset over the scores. Its just someone's opinion and in this case Drive Club seems to be a very good game that is very fun and it is going to continue to improve. Enjoy the game.

You can't be oblivious to the irony there

Top Bottom