• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

Abriael

Banned
I read the post you linked to... holy shit, you're right. The more hype a game has, the more "reviewers" will act out on a game to try and look credible. Explains why the press at large look to have been far more lenient on H2 than DC.

#notallreviewers.

Sorry, had to do that.

As expected, Sony really slacking with their output lately. I hope they take a long hard look at their first party studios and try taking a different route.

stop focusing and graphics.

And "cinematic gameplay"

Probably The Order's reviews will be mixed too

So, will the Ps+ help or hurt this game?

I think especially in light of the rather mixed reviews many people who wouldn't have bought the game will play the PS+ version and find that they're actually enjoying it quite a lot.

It might not be for the casual crowd but for people who appreachiate a seriours racer with good gameplay, some challange and best graphics, its exactly right.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm surprised so many people are surprised.

I was under the impression this was what a majority was expecting? A solid, if underwhelming racing game with amazing visuals?
I think the majority of the people hyped themselves over the subtle nuances of the visuals and lengths the developers went to to create the environments and stuff, which isn't exactly something that you can bargain many points out of ten when you are perceived to be lacking in other areas like gameplay, and many features are promised to come post-release that were used in the hype machine (will be interesting to see if reviews change once a lot of that content like weather is added in).

I've no doubt a lot of the backlash is from people who expected more weight to go into that stuff as it better represents what makes this title unique, especially in the context of a new generation. However, one of the reviews in OP mentions how it fails to live up to the standards of last gen games gameplay/content wise and that's a stinger that's hard to mental gymnastics your way out of, and I think a criticism we'll see out of a lot of games in this gen transition.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
expected these review scores.

cant wait to play it tonight and gauge it against their response.

graphics gon' melt my face off.

Jimrpg

Jesus fucking Christ it's getting crucified.

It looks beautiful. The only question for me is if it drives well. Cause from the videos it looks a bit too arcadey.

Dat word of mouth®

Woah you've got me there man. Nice one!
/s
Let's just wait for the NPDs/PAL charts, but I'll be surprised if that isn't the case.

And of course on the day a game releases it would shoot up on the charts, that's just common sense.

Edit: Actually I just checked and it's #50 in the hourly Amazon chart on it's day of release.

It looks beautiful. The only question for me is if it drives well. Cause from the videos it looks a bit too arcadey.

This is not a sim game. My view is that its a bit more arcadey then FH2 and it reminds me of PGR alot more.

Disclosure: I love the game so far.
Secondary disclosure: I also love FH2.

No. Review SCORES serve no purpose. A well-writen review can be very informative, pointing out clear pros and cons. Review scores one the other hand are just a tool for fanboys argument. It tells you nothing about whether the game is fun or what make it not fun. Imo, posting a review score without a context should be prohibited. It provide no information what so ever other than causing argument.
Well said. And of course they are the reviewes opinion at that. Best course is to try the Plus edition and try it for yourselves.

i-Lo

Fixed that for you.

How about a "No" to that notion? Evolution clearly has got talent to make racers. They had proven to do so with MSPR and had it not been for the tragic Tsunami MSA would have sold well too.

The first MS compared to PR felt very bland and yet it has a higher score on Metacritic. With two major IPs on hand they have now time to make improvements on both of their iterations down the line. Of course, that is not to say that they deserve carte blanche but this is the beginning of a generation and the time to experiment is now. Should they fail again to deliver then Sony may respond in kind.

IcyEyes

It's time for Evo to split their company into 4 teams and work on these projects:

• Post launch lucrative (and possibly free) DLC beyond what's been officially shown as planned for DC
  • HD remaster (1080p@60fps) of MS Trilogy
  • Starting a PS4 Wipeout project
  • Starting a new Motorstorm project

They will take a note, looks like you have a clear idea.

Interfectum

Between Driveclub, Alien and Destiny it seems like a lot of GAFers freak out if there isn't a solid review consensus. But, isn't this what we have all be asking for? Harsher reviews and the elimination of the 7-10 scale?

oti

Banned
As a casual racing fan (finished GRID1, PGR4?, disliked GRID2, looooved Forza Horizon) this game sounds like meat and potatoes which I'm kinda ok with. It seems to be lacking Horizon's souls but well, I'm interested in a good racing game regardless. Got my preorder in last year (20€ AmazonDE yay) but I'll try the PS+ edition first. That's what it's there for.

Jimrpg

Seriously though, gamespot giving this game a 5/10 is a fucking complete joke. I've put about 3 hours into this already. To give this game that low of a review score makes zero sense to me. It looks amazing, the races are tough, fast and completely exhilarating. Sense of speed might be the best I've ever seen in this type of racer. I haven't had a chance to try mp yet but from what I've played of the sp it's been a shit ton of fun. Loving the soundtrack too.

I'm all for using the complete score scale but 5/10 can't be taken seriously. From the videos it doesn't look like a 5/10 game. If anything killzone is a 5/10 game and that scored around 6s and 7s.

IcyEyes

Yes, it is if you watch the list of scores from the bottom and then you stop reading after some reviews.
I act the opposite way.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I'm deathly serious. When there's essentially a shareware version of the game available to the majority of the userbase. Reviews ultimately serve little meaning, especially when it's a racer. It's not going to fundamentally change from what you experience in that version.
This is what I gathered from the overwhelmingly positive responses to the Destiny beta, including my own. It will probably be my most-played game of the year, so I am very glad I had the opportunity to actually try the game for myself instead of having to rely upon reviews.

Marmac

Banned
Gametrailers gave this 8.6/10. I find GT reviews to be pretty dead on with most of the games they review. Will purchase this today.

But, isn't this what we have all be asking for? Harsher reviews and the elimination of the 7-10 scale?

Yes, but only if the games that I'm interested in get good reviews. My taste is so impeccable, even for stuff I haven't played yet, that if something I'm interested in gets below a 9/10 it's because of either journalistic incompetence and/or corruption.

Upinsmoke

The negative reviews, well the game is basically criticised for being old school. That's a positive in my book.

This is why we can't have nice things, people constantly tell us to catch up, fit in, there not happy with being content. Truth be told, I haven't had a good racing game for years,

What is it they want from racing? It's fucking racing cars round a track. Looks nice, play nice, feel nice, do that and your onto a winner. That's why I fell in love with racing games in the 90's. Not because I can drive through a field or ram a police car whilst completing X amount of jumps, what the fuck is that shit.

Top Bottom