• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

dwr budr

Banned
It's time for Evo to split their company into 4 teams and work on these projects:

• Post launch lucrative (and possibly free) DLC beyond what's been officially shown as planned for DC
  • HD remaster (1080p@60fps) of MS Trilogy
  • Starting a PS4 Wipeout project
  • Starting a new Motorstorm project

I'd just do the first 2 motorstorm games remastered, the 3rd one didn't fit in with the other 2 in my opinion, didn't the first 2 motorstorms get sketchy reviews like driveclub? but it didn't stop them being 2 of my favourite games on the PS3 - driveclub reviews don't worry me as I'm going with what my eyes are telling me. To many magazines/reviewers with agendas these days anyway to take them too seriously.

gcubed

Funny how many reviews mention the great sense of speed, gameplay and graphics. The physics are between sim and arcade and feel great.

You ask the right question: What else do you want in a racing game?

According to some reviews GTA V would be a better racing game.

They took a chance with the online aspect, ars does a good job basically explaining what I would anticipate being the problem spots. I can't wait to grab my copy today, but I had a feeling what some of the complaints would be about... Those complaints just don't matter me

low-G

I come in here to see if anything is actually broken about a game, and if there had been I'd have to consider if that matters to me...

Tastes vary, but if something is broken, it's broken. That's what reviews do for me, since I don't currently relate to any reviewer's tastes.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I read the post you linked to... holy shit, you're right. The more hype a game has, the more "reviewers" will act out on a game to try and look credible. Explains why the press at large look to have been far more lenient on H2 than DC.

It isn't "acting out". It is review scores falling closer to where they should be after a generation of grossly overrating games.

For a few games maybe, but it lacks the depth of both of those games.

Both Forza and GT can be played like DC, by just picking a car and trying to beat a lap time, but they also have a deep sim side that DC doesn't.

That's why DC isn't as good in my opinion. It lacks depth compared to the best modern racers.

That's fair - you're entitled to your opinion. I find the actual racing in DC to be more exciting than anything in Forza or GT - its sense of speed is unmatched and the track atmosphere and lighting are stunning. I also don't think every game needs an option for sim side.

Verendus

Banned
As expected, Sony really slacking with their output lately. I hope they take a long hard look at their first party studios and try taking a different route.

stop focusing and graphics.
I think they'll disagree for the most part.

Knack was thrown together, Killzone was there to be a debut title, and Infamous was actually good. Driveclub was supposed to release a long time ago. These are all intended release window titles. And when Driveclub does release, it's very likely that PS4 first party retail releases only will pass the 10 million sales mark. That's a lot of profitable titles and nothing to complain about on their end. I'm pretty sure Killzone is the best selling exclusive this generation at this point, and the ones behind it are most likely going to be Infamous, TLOU: Remastered and Titanfall (Xbox One only) in some order. Forza 5 and Ryse have probably sold about as well as Knack. Probably worse, if anything. This is also ignoring that LBP3 is coming shortly, and will likely be a big success.

There is nothing to really complain about from SCE WWS when it comes to these titles and their performance. Whilst they may not have set the review charts alight, it doesn't really matter. It's not like they were expected to. Could they have been better? Sure. Could they have sold more? Sure, but expectations are usually more realistic.

Guerilla is already hard at work on their next generation project, and Sucker Punch have a similar opportunity. It's kind of silly saying SCE needs to look at their direction when both these studios did what others couldn't and provided some content near to launch (games which were succcesful), and now they each have the opportunity to buckle down and focus on their next generation projects. It's difficult to take franchises which have performed okay for several entries and breathe new life into them to make them major hits, and both those studios were somewhat handicapped in that way.

Starting next year, you'll actually have the major SCE studios start releasing their titles. If Naughty Dog, Polyphony, or Santa Monica start suffering, then we can have this conversation.

75 for a big-name first-party exclusive is absolutely disappointing. I guarantee you Sony and Evolution are not going to consider that score 'respectable'. Score a 75 on your exam and nobody is going to applaud you for it, either.

Uh, yeah 75 is a respectable score. Also, Evo themselves weren't expecting the game to get good scores. It seems Sony is trying something different with DriveClub, they seem to be trying to build up a fanbase by giving them a free* version of the game and offering monthly support post-launch.

And yeah, I've been applauded for a 75 on an exam :p

Upinsmoke

For the record, eurogamer gave NFS Rivals, 9/10.

That's a racing game, helicopters, 200m jumps, police cars crashing into you, press O or X to fire emp's!!! Ohhhh you've popped your wheels, never mind, magically re-inflate, as you do.

Unfortunately, with driveclub, all you can do is drive a car and try and win races, somebody tell bernie ecclestone he's been doing it wrong and hire jason statham.

Gestault

Reading these reviews is more of a bummer than the scores themselves. The common issues with AI being predictable and reckless is just annoying.

There's some weird stuff in the game too, and I don't understand where the extra year of dev time went. Little stuff, but it stands out when other areas aren't exactly outstanding if you play racing titles with any regularity. There's one car in the game with KERS, but X is taking up as the default for it. Cars have one paint color and no upgrade/tuning options. Just...bizarre shortcomings that a little extra effort would have improved the overall package.

That said, the superficial elements like lighting and camera movement NAIL it. I was a big fan of the Star system for progression in GT6, so I'm hoping my experience with the end-game balance is similar here.

Bond007

Based on all the reviews, this game sounds perfect for me.
Really tired of open world shit and prefer games like PGR, NFS:HP(PS3) Looking forward to trying it on PS+ and going from there.

QaaQer

In what way do you think they negatives?

The lack of a rewind button is perhaps the best thing ever. It's ruined racers in my opinion.

As for the cutting corners penalty, what's wrong with the game trying to encourage players to become good at the game instead of using shortcuts or trying to cheese their way through a race.

Also, I really appreciate games where you can't undo stuff, save spam, or in some other way cheat.

Duxxy3

Having Forza Horizon 2 out before this game has hurt its reviews. Would have been better reviewed if it made it out in May or June.

spwolf

That's a racing game, helicopters, 200m jumps, police cars crashing into you, press O or X to fire emp's!!! Ohhhh you've popped your wheels, never mind, magically re-inflate, as you do.

Unfortunately, with driveclub, all you can do is drive a car and try and win races, somebody tell bernie ecclestone he's been doing it wrong and hire jason statham.

absolutely... it is just driving game. Scores look good...

Gestault

Having Forza Horizon 2 out before this game has hurt its reviews. Would have been better reviewed if it made it out in May or June.

Assuming the reviewers are familiar with the genre, I don't agree with that at all. The common complaints I'm hearing in the reviews would be a problem for most players.

shandy706

I read the post you linked to... holy shit, you're right. The more hype a game has, the more "reviewers" will act out on a game to try and look credible. Explains why the press at large look to have been far more lenient on H2 than DC.

While it does seem true at times, I don't think that theory works here. Both DC and FH2 had a lot of hype and expectations.

Upinsmoke

The lack of a rewind button is perhaps the best thing ever. It's ruined racers in my opinion.

As for the cutting corners penalty, what's wrong with the game trying to encourage players to become good at the game instead of using shortcuts or trying to cheese their way through a race.

Absolutely.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Everyone does know that a 70+ score is good right? Mediocre is score is in the 50 range right?

Only if you ignore the fact that scores have skewed heavily in the 7 to 10 range for years. A score of 50 on most sites basically means not worth your time or money. A metascore of 50 means it's basically garbage (in the eyes of reviewers, not "objectively" or whatever).

Moofers

No review good or bad would change the fact that I'm getting a sizable version of this for free and having seen some beautiful gifs, I'm dying to get home today and try it out.

Still hyped, still happy!

Mr E.

They gave Gran tourismo 6 a 9 too for the record. All you do is drive a car and win races.

Always expected it to be in the 7-8 range, Not bad for evo's first attempt in this racing sub - genre on new hardware.
Aren't you tired of Sony first party games being on the 7s range?? Is it too much to expect better games from Sony when lately most of its games are mediocre to average? Except for naughty dog and Japan studios I see games scoring below or equal to 7..The Order?? 7 or less write it down

Cider X

How about an amazing handling model and physics, the best sound effects in the business, a truly dynamic lighting and volumetric cloud system, intelligent track design with diverse graduation, elevation and speed differentials, aggressive and intelligent AI, and an on the fly social challenge system coupled with a solid online component?

How much do they pay you to write this stuff?

No review good or bad would change the fact that I'm getting a sizable version of this for free and having seen some beautiful gifs, I'm dying to get home today and try it out.

Still hyped, still happy!

Some positivity at last. You would think it was getting hammered given the vibe in this thread. Still looking forward to trying it out, have to wait till Friday though !

IcyEyes

It's a subjective opinion, all reviews are. I'm enjoying Driveclub, but I find the corner penalty and lack of a rewind button to be negatives too.

I can't disagree more, sorry.
Review are subject opinion, ok, but sometime this opinion go to far ...

The rewind button is one the worst thing I ever seen in a videogame.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

Indeed.

These are not negatives, especially the corner cutting penalty.

If you're making a racer that even tries to take "straight" racing & time trial seriously, you can't just allow people to corner cut willy nilly.

Personally I would never use rewinds in racers, but I can see why people may want them. Options are not bad after all but it's such a cheap "out" of a problem. That said so is quick save, something I abuse in FPS games and have done for decades so who am I to judge.

rjcc

I haven't played driveclub yet, but a digital copy should be waiting for me on my PS4 right now.

As a racing game fan who works a ton, and doesn't have nearly as much time to play, the rewind button has saved my ability to enjoy the genre. Having to redo an entire race because you missed one corner is the worst, and I don't like it.

Rewind only works in single player, if you don't like it he only one making it affect your game is you.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
or having it reviewed for its own merits rather than what reviewers want it to be.

It is being reviewed on its own merits. 75 is a good score. 7 on most all review sites is a "good" game. Compared to the last Sony "downloadable" racer this def seems like it doesn't stack up.

Aren't you tired of Sony first party games being on the 7s range?? Is it too much to expect better games from Sony when lately most of its games are mediocre to average? Except for naughty dog and Japan studios I see games scoring below or equal to 7..The Order?? 7 or less write it down

Believe it or not some people don't care what range games end up in.

I loved Killzone, Infamous, The Last of Us, and I'm enjoying Driveclub. Littlebigplanet 3 and The Order also look great to me. So I personally don't really care what "range" they fall into.

It's a shame people can only enjoy games that score a 9 or higher.

Spades

I'd wager that most of the people suggesting that "if the game is fun, why complain" are the people who like to get involved in the 1080/900 60/30 discussions. The same applies there.

Nafai1123

Banned
I haven't played driveclub yet, but a digital copy should be waiting for me on my PS4 right now.

As a racing game fan who works a ton, and doesn't have nearly as much time to play, the rewind button has saved my ability to enjoy the genre. Having to redo an entire race because you missed one corner is the worst, and I don't like it.

Rewind only works in single player, if you don't like it he only one making it affect your game is you.

There technically is no "single player" in this game. Even in the tour your times can be used to challenge other racers and show up on leaderboards. Normally I don't care whether a game has rewind or not but in this games case it would taint the leaderboards.

m@cross

I hate how metacritic does its scoring, way to much power for high/low ratings skewing results.

If you take the mean currently and adjust it with standard deviation, the game is actually hitting a 78 right now, not to bad. Low score after adjustment is a 70 and highest is an 86.

Aaron

Also, I really appreciate games where you can't undo stuff, save spam, or in some other way cheat.
Unfortunately, Driveclub is a game where you can be having a perfect race until the last turn when the AI slams into you because it's braindead, and you lose through no fault of your own. Rewind has been abused, but it is useful in some circumstances.

Top Bottom