• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

Karma's a bitch

karma0tceu.png

Indeed...I remember Rushy being quite harsh regarding Grid Autosport. I felt it was a bad move, especially him being a dev of a racing game. I wish him well, but nevertheless I find this rather amusing.

Zabuza

Banned
Pre-ordered DC last night because I enjoy driving games, to take advantage of this months $15 PSN offer, and because I have $200 of PSN cards I paid $100 for thanks to Gamestop and Kongregate last month - making this game effectively $21.25 for me.

I'd agree with the 7/10 reviews, played for about an hour today morning and while I had fun I was not blown away. The graphics were not good, I would have sworn I was playing on my PS3. The backseat driving stuff is pretty annoying. I have never played Forza or Gran Turismo and probably never will because I realize I prefer arcade-y driving games to sim style games, Mario Kart 8 and stuff like GTA are my thing.

Still its fun to play, I will probably play a few hours a month so its worth it for that. I think for most people though the PS+ version is going to be more than enough. I will definitely not be getting the season pass.
The graphics weren't good?!? You're the first person I've seen say that. Nothing in this game is possible on PS3 graphics-wise. You sure you played Driveclub?

I'll have fun with my playstation plus version and then I'll forget this game existed. I knew this game was going to be soulless from the very beginning. G27 support would have vindicated it for me, but no dice there either.

Dude, quit digging your hole. Your post history clearly indicates otherwise.

The e3 & post e3 builds looked like straight up dog shit.

The past months they started showing complete finished builds & it did look amazing.
I wasn't sold on if the type of racing game it would be from the videos, arcady or more sim, but it looked like something that would make me buy a PS4.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You care about what one person says so much to go look through there post history 2 months back? Why? If they don't like that game ignore them. The reviews are actually decent I don't see why everyone is arguing about it. It got like 2 bad reviews, everything else from both User Impressions from the OT here and other reviews make the game seem to be great for people who like Closed Circuit racing like I do. Gamespot and Eurogamer were obviously looking for something else in a racing game and sadly scored it that way, but anyone who plays it expecting a closed circuit racer is gonna get just that and from what I've seen they may end up enjoying it. Only blemish I've really seen besides the missing features that are gonna be patched in is the fact that there is limited car makes and there is no real customization. Besides that the game sounds great. I'm just trying to say, it seems weird that if anyone has an opinion about something that they might go and dig stuff up on you. If you don't like their opinion, ignore it, don't go spend time looking up posts they made 2 months ago. If he was in here constantly spamming BS then I would understand, but he made like one statement lol.

This is why reviews need 4 people, so they can throw a couple scores rather than one. I've never read where a journalist simply loved racing games. If anything, I've heard (in person as well) that they despise racing games just as much as sports games. If they were to pull a fast one on the market now, now is the time. Metacritic has made best friends with consumers anymore.

EA made that NASCAR series and you wonder who actually played it? The guy who loves NASCAR that's who.

IcyEyes

Pre-ordered DC last night because I enjoy driving games, to take advantage of this months $15 PSN offer, and because I have $200 of PSN cards I paid $100 for thanks to Gamestop and Kongregate last month - making this game effectively $21.25 for me.

I'd agree with the 7/10 reviews, played for about an hour today morning and while I had fun I was not blown away. The graphics were not good, I would have sworn I was playing on my PS3. The backseat driving stuff is pretty annoying. I have never played Forza or Gran Turismo and probably never will because I realize I prefer arcade-y driving games to sim style games, Mario Kart 8 and stuff like GTA are my thing.

Still its fun to play, I will probably play a few hours a month so its worth it for that. I think for most people though the PS+ version is going to be more than enough. I will definitely not be getting the season pass.

Most memorable moment was driving through a sunny valley, and after the next hill suddenly its full of dark clouds and thunder is rumbling. That was pretty awesome. The tree's in India look like shit though.

Amazing!

MilesTeg

Banned
This is why reviews need 4 people, so they can throw a couple scores rather than one. I've never read where a journalist simply loved racing games. If anything, I've heard (in person as well) that they despise racing games just as much as sports games. If they were to pull a fast one of the market now, now is the time. Metacritic has made best friends with consumers anymore.

Always loved EGM for their four person reviews.

So hilarious certain posters predictably do this over and over. Picking among the worst review out of dozens and dozens, and then basing one's entire opinion around it.

What about GT's 8.6, or Videogamer's 8? CVG's 8? IGN's 7.9? There's a reason the game's average score is above 70 and not 50. It seems to be a very divisive game, which means you ought to look at it from the perspective of what you yourself are looking for in a racer based on the commentary, not just a review score itself. For example, are things like track based racing, lack of driving lines and rewind options, aggressive AI etc things that really put you off? If so, this might not be for you, if however they're not, then look at the other reviews that took less of an issue with these things.

nib95, I've popped in to pull you out of this thread. It will make your blood boil, and for what? Just to see See You Next Wednesday being hoisted by his own petard thanks to benny_a? I mean, that was worth it, but why put energy into getting wound up by posters of such low quality that are slavering over this thread?

Did you not see what I laid out just a few minutes ago for a similar post?

edit: Yes, I see you did, because you quoted. Well, same treatment goes for you. Go find me some of these posters, please. 5 will do. Same rules as the other guy.

Blanket accusations get you nowhere.

oh, nib. I was too late to save you.

A_Gorilla

Banned

The past months they started showing complete finished builds & it did look amazing.
I wasn't sold on if the type of racing game it would be from the videos, arcady or more sim, but it looked like something that would make me buy a PS4.

You should quit while you're behind, friend.

So you still haven't played it? You were talking like an expert there.

crankyxt

Most memorable moment was driving through a sunny valley, and after the next hill suddenly its full of dark clouds and thunder is rumbling. That was pretty awesome. The tree's in India look like shit though.

So, you reviewed a game in a hour and say that the graphics look like a PS3 game... ok sure!! I will take your word for it. /s

Hugstable

Banned
This is why reviews need 4 people, so they can throw a couple scores rather than one. I've never read where a journalist simply loved racing games. If anything, I've heard (in person as well) that they despise racing games just as much as sports games. If they were to pull a fast one of the market now, now is the time. Metacritic has made best friends with consumers anymore.

EA made that Nascar series and you wonder who actually played it?

That reminds me of the good ole EGM mag style from way back in the day haha. Myself I've been waiting more on User Impressions here and from the sounds of it the game is great for those looking for a closed circuit racer. I'm gonna be downloading the demo later, if I like the physics I will have to find a way somehow to fit this game into my busy game buying schedule sometime this year. Way too much stuff coming out these next 3 months, my wallet is crying already lol.

rrc1594

LMAO. You could say what you want about the game, but c'mon man.

Agreed. Lack of rewind is a deal-breaker for me now, like many others, which means we won't buy the game, it hurts sales, and negatively affects the hope for more games form the developer. Also, it's an option that others can easily ignore.
Why don't you just try the game for yourself for free and see if you like it?

You'll also see why a rewind feature doesn't really fit this game because of all the live challenges.

I agree maybe a an option for solo offline play would've been a good idea, but DriveClub is all about that social connectivity. You loose half of the game if you take the social aspect out just to be able to rewind.

Looks like an Evolution game - the meat is only to be found on the track. Though I will say this game has the best menus, UI and lightning fast loads of any Evo game, and might be the best UI I've seen in a driving game on the whole. Nothing gets in the way and nothing keeps you waiting.

That there is no story and no setup doesn't matter to me - the work was put into the environments, cars and dynamic driving conditions. No sense of victory or celebration is something that might sour after a while though, especially considering how tough some of the events seem to be as you go up in difficulty.

And one thing that I'll agree with some of the reviews is that the game here is more for the sim crowd. The arcade play at work in the driving model runs smack dab against the points system which demerits a driver for leaving the track or even small collisions. While I love that the game incentivizes clean driving, I think that'll be at odds to many arcade racing fans.

But in terms of soul I'm not quite seeing the complaint. Don't the environments count? Those environments, rendered out forever and in a million different degrees of lighting and cloud cover - those are the heart of DriveClub and what most sets it apart from the pack.

nw3

Just posted this in the OT but even more relevant to this thread:

----------
I can't wait for this to unlock on friday (uk).

Many of the reviewers are missing the point as they've grown fat and greedy on the very fashionable modern idea of 'content as king'.

To me driveclub looks like an incredibly focused experience aimed at real car fans and built by a team of car enthusiasts.

I don't need a gazzilion cars and tracks - i spent 70% of my time in forza 4 driving 911s on fiji stage A just trying to master it corner by corner and shave milliseconds off my fastest timetrial.

The attention to detail, both visually and soundwise that Rushy & co have put into each carefully chosen car looks to be stagering. Rather that than spread yourself thinly over 100s of cars but not be able to give each one the attention it deserves.

The way this game has been put together + everything the devs are saying sounds like it's going to be a very pure experience. Screw the reviewers - please people, ignore them & at least try the demo.

Gestault

I guess I've only seen this reaction a few times, but the idea of being unwilling to try this game for yourself because of the critical reaction, when effectively anyone with an internet-equipped PS4 can have access to it for no cost is just baffling.

http://paulsemel.com/driveclub-review/

In DRIVECLUB, you drive virtual versions of real cars on race tracks and closed off streets during multi-lap events, point-to-point races, time trials, and the occasional drifting contest. But while this is far removed from the sensitivity of Gran Turismo and other racing simulations, DRIVECLUB isn’t as forgiving as, say, a Need For Speed, and is thus far removed from the smoothness of a MotorStorm. Which means you not only can’t just let up on the gas and cruise through a corner, you have to hit the brakes, and sometimes hard.
hqjnfk.gif

AdanVC

Heyyy, what's up with those lower scores. I wasn't expecting lot's of them : / Even a 5 from Gamespot. I was predicting at the very least a 7 there.

hydruxo

Seems like reviews have evened out some since I first looked this morning. Honestly, this game was bound to get a couple bad reviews. That shouldn't stop anybody from trying it out if you have PS+. Looking forward to playing this afternoon!

nib95

Banned

5 from Gamespot.

7.5 from Polygon.

This does not look good in the face of FH2 scores but oh well. At least it's free.

So is this PS4's Lair? Or was that Knack?

Looks like the PS4's Lair.

I expected solid 7s but 5/10 ouch...
Also words like passion and romance are just fucking disrespectful to the developers who put so much of themselves into making the game, wtf have these reviewers ever done?

50% Club, haha.

Metacritic considers 50 a mixed review. Sorry but 50/100 is an outright bad score when it comes to video games. Such is the scale with video game review.

Damn! I really was hyped like hell for this game.

I don't think there has been a 1st party game for the PS4 has lived up to the hype so far.
I really wanted a PS4 earlier this year, but couldn't justify a purchase when review scores like this saying that there is no must have game to get.

Whats the next big PS4 exclusive coming up soon? The Order?

Here's a few that don't seem to understand that one really bad or average review doesn't mean the entire game is, nor that there aren't other reviews to the contrary.

It seems to be the problem most Sony exclusives are having.

Killzone: Ok shooter with great graphics
Infamous: Ok sandbox with great graphics
Driveclub: From reviews sounds like an ok racer with great graphics
The Order: From all the previews I've read it sounds like an ok shooter with great graphics

i agree with this completely. hopefully it's a trend that will soon end.

nw3

Looks like an Evolution game - the meat is only to be found on the track. Though I will say this game has the best menus, UI and lightning fast loads of any Evo game, and might be the best UI I've seen in a driving game on the whole. Nothing gets in the way and nothing keeps you waiting.

That there is no story and no setup doesn't matter to me - the work was put into the environments, cars and dynamic driving conditions. No sense of victory or celebration is something that might sour after a while though, especially considering how tough some of the events seem to be as you go up in difficulty.

And one thing that I'll agree with some of the reviews is that the game here is more for the sim crowd. The arcade play at work in the driving model runs smack dab against the points system which demerits a driver for leaving the track or even small collisions. While I love that the game incentivizes clean driving, I think that'll be at odds to many arcade racing fans.

But in terms of soul I'm not quite seeing the complaint. Don't the environments count? Those environments, rendered out forever and in a million different degrees of lighting and cloud cover - those are the heart of DriveClub and what most sets it apart from the pack.

100% agreed, pretty much just made the same point in my post directly after yours, just a different way of saying the same thing!

A 5 from Gamespot. Kevin VanOrd review? Kevin VanOrd review.

I love it when people who aren't even fans of racing games review racing games. And even if they're semi-fans, they need their racers to have some flashy new gimmick. Cop chases, buildings falling down around them as they race, large scale and uber-cool crashes, and other weird shit that has little to do with substance and all to do with flash. Thank fuck someone out there is still making these "boring" racing games where you - wait for it - RACE.

I read the GameSpot review and well, it wasn't actually a review of the game. The "review" only vaguely mumbled about the AI difficulty and not much else, except to talk about how awesome FH2 was. The IGN review, on the other hand, actually reviewed the game, and explained enough that I can make an informed decision about purchasing the game or not.
I'll just play the PS+ version for now and pick up DC later when its cheap.

Hugstable

Banned
I remembered that name from some of the posts he made in past Driveclub threads previously. It took me 45 seconds, including writing my few words to make that post. But I have to admit I'm pretty good at using google.

Ahh alright, I was gonna say doing it the normal way would take quite awhile especially if he makes alot of posts haha. I'm just more of the mind in these review threads that there is always gonna be people like that, and it's usually best to ignore them unless they are doing the concern troll thing way too much. Still looking at it, I think it's funny that he lost hype for a game he wasn't even hyped in to begin with lol. I like that the review scale is getting used more, but people need to get used to it and start relaying on word of mouth and not just what game journos say for each review. The bad scores for this game sadly came from people who expected a much different racer with an open world, something I personally wouldn't like. I like my racing games like Gran Turismo where it's all pure track racing.

VanWinkle

Here's a few that don't seem to understand that one really bad or average review doesn't mean the entire game is, nor that there aren't other reviews to the contrary.

Yeah, I have to admit you had a pretty easy job for this particular one, lol. A couple of those I wouldn't consider acting like it's indicative of the game as a whole, but some of those definitely are.

Mononoke

Banned
I don't even think the overall reviews are bad. However as someone that is a fan of forza and was disappointed in the X1 version, I'm kind of curious what makes this game not as great. Because everything I've seen of DC looked more interesting than what Forza went for. And reviews for Forza were pretty high across the board.

Servbot24

Banned
There isn't less content. There's tons and tons of racing. Another person who has no idea what they are talking about.

Pretty much every racing game allows you to race many times. That's not special. You can't be surprised that some reviewers do not want to do the same races over and over. You are of course allowed to be happy with the game as is, but you are asking for a niche game. Niche games get niche reviews. It's not fair but that's how it's always been. 75 for niche games essentially means "If you like this genre definitely buy".

You're welcome to your opinion, but you'll need to defend it. So tell me what game on PS3 looks even remotely as good as DriveClub?

So I really enjoyed playing through Knack, in fact much more than a lot of high scoring games. Opinions in game reviews are just that. Unlike something with standard benchmarks, like hardware, video game reviews are truly subject to what the reviewer deems great. Plus the metric that they compare a game to varies by opinion. Hardly worth stroking out about.

IMO Driveclub reviews were going to be either massively disappointing or controversial if they weren't unanimously positive, regardless of reasoning behind the criticism. The prerelease build up of hype and defensiveness definitely had a destiny/killzone vibe too it. Sometimes hype is the worst metric of all.

On the positive side, there really is no need to get upset over reviews, unless you work for Evolution. The game is beautiful, has a demo that all PS+ members can try and judge for themselves, and the PS4 is currently starved for racers. Driveclub will most likely sell tons and give Evolution an opportunity to take the criticism and improve their next iteration of the game.

Pretty much every racing game allows you to race many times. That's not special. You can't be surprised that some reviewers do not want to do the same races over and over. You are of course allowed to be happy with the game as is, but you are asking for a niche game. Niche games get niche reviews. It's not fair but that's how it's always been. 75 for niche games essentially means "If you like this genre definitely buy".
There are 55 courses in the fucking game. 55. How is that even remotely considered racing the same tracks over and over again?

Top Bottom