• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

Oersted

Don't worry, perennial high-scorers FIFA, COD and Assasins Creed will be pumped out every year for you to play, just like they have been for the past 6-8 years.

Looking at Metacritic, the gaming press is trying to tell us we should all buy these boring franchises every 12 months. Yay.

Erm, CoD gets barely over 70 %. Don't talk out of your ass.

eznark

Banned
Ooooh! I'll take that wager.

You round up the names of the folks saying "if the game is fun, why complain" in this thread. Cross reference those names against a resolution thread of your choice. For the sake of argument and to give you a sporting chance, we'll mark "most" as 50% +1.

3 PM Pacific should give you enough time. See you then.

Finally something worthwhile in a review thread.

I know there are a lot of positive reviews but that Gamestop review speaks to my exact fears about the game. We'll see, I'll fire up the PS+ version tonight.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Karma's a bitch

karma0tceu.png

When this was first tweeted I remember thinking you'd have to be uber-confident in your own product before even thinking about criticising one from a fellow developer, especially one that's in direct competiton with you. It did seem very brash at the time, not to mention just a tad disrespectful.

Wait, wasn't his tweet in regards to his wheel not being supported and nothing to do with the review?

impact

Banned
Bloodborne. But, beware, it may get a bad review from somebody, too, which, of course, means it will ruin your impression of the game as a whole.

Bloodborne is way too hard for reviewers. I don't think it'll get above an 85 on MC for that alone.

For the content that DC launch with I feel really good about the review scores, don´t know what the fuss is about, they went with presentation and getting the little details instead of volume of content, I am OK with that, watching GSY videos on the big screen @1080p is awesome, cannot wait for the PS+ content and then the game.

edit: believe in yourself!!

Tagyhag

Some of these scores are surprising, the graphics are amazing and that's basically all you need in a racer. /s

At least it's a PS+ title, and one that they can keep tinkering and adding content.

I wonder what kind of game Driveclub was before it was delayed if the almost-a-year-delay version is getting these mixed reviews.

nib95

Banned
Damn! I really was hyped like hell for this game.

I don't think there has been a 1st party game for the PS4 has lived up to the hype so far.
I really wanted a PS4 earlier this year, but couldn't justify a purchase when review scores like this saying that there is no must have game to get.

Whats the next big PS4 exclusive coming up soon? The Order?

So hilarious certain posters predictably do this over and over. Picking among the worst review out of dozens and dozens, and then basing one's entire opinion around it.

What about GT's 8.6, or Videogamer's 8? CVG's 8? IGN's 7.9? There's a reason the game's average score is above 70 and not 50. It seems to be a very divisive game, which means you ought to look at it from the perspective of what you yourself are looking for in a racer based on the commentary, not just a review score itself. For example, are things like track based racing, lack of driving lines and rewind options, aggressive AI etc things that really put you off? If so, this might not be for you, if however they're not, then look at the other reviews that took less of an issue with these things.

I need a long post to explain this, but in a few words I've seen good racing game players "ruined" in their skills because of this "button".

I love real racing competition and how professional driver spens hours to improve their skills on every turn, trying to "eat away" every inch in every point of the track.

The rewind button is simply against my philosophy.
If you make a mistake it's a lot better trying again after a few minutes, in the meanwhile you will improve your skills and your knowledge of the track and then, when you hit again the same point where you made your mistake, you attention will double and there are good chances you will not repeat the same error.
I thinks the rewind button is a very lazy option, maybe someone manages to use this option in a very good way, but right now, all my friends who are hardcore racing players just "hate" that option.

Man... if you're a serious racer, than you either play online against other players and can't rewind OR you play offline and try to beat your fastest leader-board times. I don't know what games you are talking about but in Forza Motorsport or Codemasters games you get "dirty lapped" for using a rewind and even if the best lap time on the planet is a 1:19 your 1:18(dirty) will be send directly behind the slowest 24:59(clean) lap time on the board.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just watched the GameTrailers review.

What is their rationale for no American or Asian cars in the game and strictly European ones? Especially considering the game has such international variety in courses?

QaaQer

I'll try the PS+ version for sure

The existence of the ps+ version will be interesting to watch. Reviews are important for traditional $60 retail games. DC is different, it is a game with a big chunk that is free with no restrictions.

Assuming there is a great game there that just might not appeal to average critic-guy, the game has the potential to still attract a following, have a long life, and make money. I hope it works out because it looks like a great take on the f2p model. And yeah, I don't want to see Evo close down.

So hilarious certain posters predictably do this over and over. Picking among the worst review out of dozens and dozens, and then basing one's entire opinion around it.

What about GT's 8.6, or Videogamer's 8? CVG's 8? IGN's 7.9? There's a reason the game's average score is above 70 and not 50. It seems to be a very divisive game, which means you ought to look at it from the perspective of what you yourself are looking for in a racer based on the commentary, not just a review score itself. For example, are things like track based racing, lack of driving lines and rewind options, aggressive AI etc things that really put you off? If so, this might not be for you, if however they're not, then look at the other reviews that took less of an issue with these things.

Can we say they are concerned?

edit: somewhat related, but I am playing MS Apocalypse which I grabbed at $5 during the racing sale, great game!!

The graphics over gameplay argument seems strange to me. Yea, I get it, the game is getting mixed reviews but none of these reviews are actually criticizing the gameplay or that its lacking, the most they go to is that its a "standard circuit-based racer."

That doesn't tell me graphics over gameplay were prioritized or even that the gameplay is lacking.

Facundo_Lopez

Neo Member
I'd really want to know what Gamespot expected in a racing game.

Driveclub is ordinary menus and ordinary races, standard time trials, and a few drift events. Driveclub is bland social competition. Driveclub is the fear of risks and the embrace of the ordinary.

Ordinary menus?
Ordinary races?

What did you expect GS? Tornados in the middle of the road and cars flying through the sky? Not to mention that the social aspect of DriveClub is just as or better than any other Racing game available!

Journalism is going down much faster than I really thought.

Just saw this... Interesting review to say the least
3/10 Paulsemel.com

This is how I felt after playing the demo at PAX, the game yells at you for everything. As soon as your tires go off course a 3 second countdown pops up on the screen threatening to reset. It's like having a backseat driver in your car. I'll get the PS+ version and get more then one race under my belt, but the fact that some of the reviews are complaining about the same stuff that I had with the demo, doesn't give me hope.

TomShoe

Banned
Just watched the GameTrailers review.

What is their rationale for no American or Asian cars in the game and strictly European ones? Especially considering the game has such international variety in courses?

Evolution Studios is based in Europe, but it still doesn't make sense.

Upinsmoke

Well at least people don't have to have there decision hinging on some of these reviews. The plus edition will be enough to tell anyone whether they want to invest in the full game or not.

Ponchito

And to think this was a launch game...I will definitely play the free PS+ version though.

I'm disappointed at Sony's first party track record of the last year (except of course for TLOU). Considering the well known hurdles of Uncharted 4's development, hopefully Naughty Dog won't continue this trend.

Will LittleBigFloatyControls or The Order break the 80 MetaCritic ceiling!?]

I don't think the PS4 will have a retail exclusive game score above an 85 until Uncharted. The Order looks mediocre. Again, and this seems like a theme this gen, pretty graphics over gameplay seems to be what's in. I'll always take gameplay over graphics (which is why I think the 1080p fiasco seems overblown to me). Bloodborne's pedigree has a good track record so perhaps that will do it.

Frankly, I think these reviews are spot on. I don't know why people are losing their heads. I expected more for a year delay.

LBP3 so long as it has a decent campaign should score above an 85. If it doesn't, the only reason it won't will be because reviewers will unfairly criticize it for being another LBP. Well great, there are a lot of people that love LBP and more that have never played LBP, so is it good or not? Giving it a 6 because it is another LBP does nothing to inform buyers.

After that Bloodborne I think is a lock. Which is ironic, because it shows how much personal bias enters into reviews because this will be the 4th Souls like game from From Software, but that's not important because press has become enamored with Souls. That's not to take anything away from the Souls series. I just find it annoying that someone would question why anyone is excited for another LBP when in the same breath be super stoked for another Souls game. I am not saying press should have to be excited for Driveclub or LBP, but they shouldn't write them off either and should approach them without there own tastes in mind.

GenericUser

I have to admit, these threads are rapidly becoming my favorite threads on this board. I'm looking forward to try this game out on wednesday!

Gestault

I guess the PGR formula is officially dead. This was a nice throwback, but arcade sims have no place in the industry it seems :/.

People really need to stop conflating a highly regarded series with a completely different game with odd quality qualms and a troubled development.

I'd really want to know what Gamespot expected in a racing game.

Ordinary menus?
Ordinary races?

What did you expect GS? Tornados in the middle of the road and cars flying through the sky? Not to mention that the social aspect of DriveClub is just as or better than any other Racing game available!

Journalism is going down much faster than I really thought.

Well it was developed by Evolution...

Shaneus

wish martin robinson did the review on eurogamer. he's the main person i trust on racing games, not really sure what to make of this spread of reviews.
I asked... apparently he was on holiday and Tom doesn't really play games anymore. So instead it was done by a guy so into racing games that he cracks it when penalised for cutting a corner. And who rates "personality" so highly in a driving game that GT6 was his favourite game in 2013.

But how to do feel about romance and soul?
DRIVECLUB |OT2| No romance. No soul. Just driving.

Most of the reviews read like the writer is saying "this isn't nextgen gameplay," and "I don't really care about the racing genre." Time to wait til GAF reviews it.

Megasoum

Banned
Wait, wasn't his tweet in regards to his wheel not being supported and nothing to do with the review?

His tweets and following posts in the Grid OT didn't talk about the wheel at all.

Also Grid has good wheel support. That would be a very specific issue to have to write a so vague tweet about.

Prine

Banned
DC was unremarkable in every way during EGX last year, thought they'd fix that after a year of additional development. Even then i was expecting 7s, all the new media made me think Evolution had a masterpiece in their hands. Shame, i want UK studios to thrive :(

yurinka

Had a Metacritic of 75 with 35 reviews, but now with 38 it has a Metacritic of 73. :(

I still didn't play the game, but it's really hard to believe the game deserves the amount of 5/10 or 6/10 it's getting, specially after reading the reviews, previews and watching the videos. I was expecting a Metacritic of ~80.

nib95

Banned
2 Months ago on GAF:

Like I said above, predictable responses from some on here. Driveclub threads on GAF have been a hilarious affair for months. As have been the Streams, YouTube video comments etc. More than your typical amount any way.

Top Bottom